Unmatched Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PODonny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there reason for concern if a residency program goes unmatched? I've heard good things about Kentucky, but according to aacpm.org (caspr/crip page) it is still unfilled. Also, Broadlawns is unfilled to this point (how could a program in a city with a pod school go unfilled?). I guess I'm wondering if this indicates shortcomings of the program. Any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

Broadlawns residency is no more... closed as of 6/25 per 2008 CASPR directory.

I think many programs that went unmatched, or even partially unfilled, this past year are still fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was surprised to see UPMC-SS, UT-SA, or KPRP go to scramble in the first place. To see them still unfilled is even more confusing to me. Yes, programs change, but they certainly wouldn't go from high level to poor quality that fast. Maybe some residents or recent grads can shed more light?

Keep in mind how small the overall graduating class of 2007 was and that demand for residencies was way lower than usual as the power balance swung very heavily away from the programs and to the graduates. Class sizes will only increase as AZPod begins to gradute students next year, and their graduating class sizes figure to grow if it is a solid program (certainly appears so). In a few more years, the new Cali school will also be churning out students. With MD/DO programs seeing more and more applications and becoming insanely competitive, pod schools will probably start to experience more interest as well...

In 2007, there were a lot of nice programs to scramble for, but in a few years, there may be very slim pickings for anyone who doesn't match...

Broadlawns residency is no more... closed as of 6/25.

I think many programs that went unmatched this year are still fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was surprised to see UPMC-SS, UT-SA, or KPRP go to scramble in the first place. To see them still unfilled is even more confusing.

Keep in mind how small the overall graduating class of 2007 was and that demand for residencies was way lower than usual as the power balance swung very heavily away from the programs and towards the graduates. Class sizes will only increase as AZPod begins to gradute students next year, and their graduating class sizes figure to grow if it is a solid program (certainly appears so). In a few more years, the new Cali school will also be churning out students. With MD/DO programs seeing more and more applications and becoming insanely competitive, pod schools will probably start to experience more interest as well...

In 2007, there were a lot of nice programs to scramble for, but in a few years, there may be very slim pickings for anyone who doesn't match...

Absolutely. Classes of 2008 and our class of 2009 will be in a different situation from that of our 2007 peers. Our numbers are higher, and the percentage competing for solid 3-year programs is more significant. In fact, if I recall a survey by the APMSA that was done a hear and a half ago, it indicated more than 85% (probably higher) of the students prefering 3-year programs versus 2. I do expect the number of applicants to consistently grow as well, especially with the new school opening in 2009, but I sincerely hope that we don't fall into the traps of the past with graduating more students than available residency spots.

P.S. How's the board studying coming along man? I don't think I want to look at that first aid book ever again lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
...P.S. How's the board studying coming along man? I don't think I want to look at that first aid book ever again lol.
My studying is going pretty good. I'm basically done... I got bored lol. My First Aid and Crashing the Boards books are pretty worn out. I just started clinic, so I've been reading Pocket Podiatrics and Presby manual more than board review stuff lately (I guess they still help study for boards a bit, though). I decided to do an extra day in clinic and watch some surgery tomorrow instead of study for boards. :p

These last few days, I think I'm gonna just focus on the really high-yield stuff: "Rapid Review" part of First Aid, LEA notes, drug tox/antidotes, pod path, etc one more time this weekend. By now, I figure that it's either know it or ya don't. Hopefully I know it... we'll see on Wednesday :laugh:. Good luck!

My studying is going pretty good. I'm basically done... I got bored lol. My First Aid and Crashing the Boards books are pretty worn out. I just started clinic, so I've been reading Pocket Podiatrics and Presby manual more than board review stuff lately (I guess they are still help study for boards a bit, though). I decided to do an extra day in clinic and watch some surgery tomorrow instead of study for boards. :p

These last few days, I think I'm gonna just focus on the really high-yield stuff: "Rapid Review" part of First Aid, LEA notes, drug tox/antidotes, pod path, etc one more time this weekend. By now, I figure that it's either know it or I don't. Hopefully I know it... we'll see on Wednesday :laugh:. Good luck!

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm in the same boat as well - At this point, I just can't wait till this headache is done and over with. Good luck to you as well.

There are a lot of good programs that scramble every once in a while. That is the nature of the match and scramble (a real numbers game). However, if a program consistently scrambles, that is a big red flag.

I am currently at a program that chose to not take anyone last year even though they had alot of students interview. The residents and director were very straight forward in letting me know that if they don't believe that they have the kind of applicant they are looking for they would rather leave the spot unfilled rather than settle. A bad resident can really ruin an otherwise great program. So to answer the original question, I would not be at all concerned with a program that either scrambles or does not fill a slot. It is very possible that they are just very selective and know what kind of student they are looking for. Other posters were right when they mentioned that last years applicant pool was very small, but that won't be the case anymore. Last year was a real buyers market for students, but things have really tightened up with the class of 2008 and will only get tighter over the next couple years with the class sizes increasing. Starting with the class of 2008 there are now more students graduating than there are three year spots and the class sizes for 09 and 10 are even bigger.

Broadlawns residency is no more... closed as of 6/25 per 2008 CASPR directory.

I think many programs that went unmatched, or even partially unfilled, this past year are still fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was surprised to see UPMC-SS, UT-SA, or KPRP go to scramble in the first place. To see them still unfilled is even more confusing to me. Yes, programs change, but they certainly wouldn't go from high level to poor quality that fast. Maybe some residents or recent grads can shed more light?

Keep in mind how small the overall graduating class of 2007 was and that demand for residencies was way lower than usual as the power balance swung very heavily away from the programs and to the graduates. Class sizes will only increase as AZPod begins to gradute students next year, and their graduating class sizes figure to grow if it is a solid program (certainly appears so). In a few more years, the new Cali school will also be churning out students. With MD/DO programs seeing more and more applications and becoming insanely competitive, pod schools will probably start to experience more interest as well...

I'd heard Broadlawns was closed then not closed so it's nice to hear the final answer. It's still unbelievable to see Des Moines without a residency.

Glad to hear that good programs go to scramble sometimes too. I find it hard to believe that the residencies that people have in high regards have gone down the toilet so quickly. Thanks for the posts.:thumbup: