Unmatched - take step 1? Please assist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful3488

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes...ignore the ACGME match and just go DO. You've got average scores for DO programs and your drop from Level 1 to 2 is problematic. Put all your eggs in the DO basket and go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
This one is a no brainer...go AOA.

Also...take the USMLE unless:
-you are applying to PM&R
-you are barely getting by in medical school

Thanks for you replies.

Do you think taking step 2 would help at all ? Or is step 1 the way to go. Only reason I say step 2 is because the material is a bit fresher, and shares some similarities with step 3 so I can kinda study for both at one time.

Thanks for you replies.

Do you think taking step 2 would help at all ? Or is step 1 the way to go. Only reason I say step 2 is because the material is a bit fresher, and shares some similarities with step 3 so I can kinda study for both at one time.

The USMLE is NOT needed for AOA residency. Apply broadly and you will be fine.

I know. I was just holding onto the acgme option but from what you guys are saying I should just forget about it...I guess at this point I really shouldn't take chances and go for the most likely option, that being AOA

I know. I was just holding onto the acgme option but from what you guys are saying I should just forget about it...I guess at this point I really shouldn't take chances are go for the most likely option
Don't bother with ACGME. Don't take USMLE Step 1 or 2 or 3. That ship has sailed. Take COMLEX 3 and apply broadly to AOA programs (like all of them in your specialty, plus a few others in a backup specialty).