MD Unorthodox applicant...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornunderatree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a California resident with a LizzyM of 72.
Graduated in 2013 with a BSN and have been practicing as an RN since in critical care.

I've applied to Stanford, Brown, Columbia, UC Irvine, and OHSU.

I was shocked in my research to find that the median number of schools applied to by accepted applicants is thirteen.
Should I really apply to more than five?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to add more schools. Your numbers are a little low for Columbia and Stanford, which without looking at the MSAR I would assume average a LizzyM of about 75 (3.9, 36) as this is where most top schools hover. The problem with top schools is you can be higher than their averages and never get an interview. They just get a ton of great applicants. Brown is well known for having quirky preferences (preferring Brown undergrads, et al). You are in line with them stats wise, assuming you don't have a huge gap (40 mcat, 3.2 GPA). I don't know much about the UC's other than they're difficult or UC Irvine specifically. But I know they are all competitive and the ones that aren't as competitive (still very competitive) show a regional bias. Seems like I may have heard that about UCI but I'm not sure. If you're a California resident you should apply to more UC than one, but shouldn't assume anything. And I don't know anything about OHSU, but even if its a safety school numbers wise you're gonna want more than one. Just my opinion, of course. You could get an acceptance at all five, but the safer choice is generally to cast a wider net.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools, aside from some state schools with strong instate bias, are able to interview about 10-20% of the applicant pool. Imagine you are in a raffle where 1 ticket in 8 is a winner. Do you expect to be that lucky, even if you buy 5 tickets? Granted, getting an interview is not random but the likelihood of breaking out of the pack is that slim. And after the interview, it is typical that 40-60% of interviewed applicants get offers so again, there is a chance that you won't get an offer after having an interview.

Choose 10 more private, mid-tier schools, or publics that are OOS friendly. Miami, Rush, Tulane, SLU would be some examples.

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend applying to 15-25. Being from CA, you're more likely to go OOS...but UCI should be a snap.

And Brown highly favors their own.

I can better advise if we know your GPAs and MCAT.

I am a California resident with a LizzyM of 72.
Graduated in 2013 with a BSN and have been practicing as an RN since in critical care.

I've applied to Stanford, Brown, Columbia, UC Irvine, and OHSU.

I was shocked in my research to find that the median number of schools applied to by accepted applicants is thirteen.
Should I really apply to more than five?

I have a 4.0 sGPA, 3.98 cGPA (217 units worth) my MCAT is 513 (127, 128, 130, 128)

Does being out of school and 8000+ clinical bedside hours make me a more stand out applicant?

The question becomes, why do you want to be an MD if you are already using science to help people.... ;) Why MD becomes the big question but if you can answer that, you may do okay but apply to more schools.

Reactions: 1 user
The question becomes, why do you want to be an MD if you are already using science to help people.... ;) Why MD becomes the big question but if you can answer that, you may do okay but apply to more schools.

"I like being in control..."

jk. But something along the lines of having more responsibility and more of a say in a patient's treatment plan?

I've heard the "why not PA/nursing" question is a relatively common one.

Honestly why do I want to be an MD? I want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon.
I've seen their work / recover their immediate post operative patients and that's what I want to do.

OK, as long as you are prepared for that. Working f/t in another profession, even a clinical one, is not going to be a big plus as it raises a question about how you got into a profession you aren't happy with and the worry that you are getting into another profession that will leave you unsatisfied.

I love what I do. Taking a larger role in the populations I care for is what I aim to do becoming a physician.

I definitely appreciate the feedback from everyone. Taking the path less traveled brings up unique considerations that I have to take into account. Different perspectives help me to better understand them.

You need to apply to more schools and consider these:
Tulane
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Einstein
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra
Rochester
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

You need to apply to more schools and consider these:
Tulane
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Einstein
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra
Rochester
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
I agree, she does need more schools.
She may only get one interview with her current list.