Unsure how much my gap years improved my application/what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyonpage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for a while now. This is my first post, so please don't assume I know what all the acronyms used on the forum mean =P

Anyways, after graduating with a BS rushed in the last two years of college (was originally going for BA in some kind of humanities), I decided I wanted to go for medical school. The problem was, other than decent grades and some research experience, I didn't have a strong application. I tried getting into more labs after graduation, but I didn't hear back from anywhere and lost a lot of confidence. After a few months, I ended up getting a CNA license and working a few months in a memory care unit.

Well, after a few more months of total ennui, I moved out of state to be with my SO, take some time for myself, and self-study for the MCAT. I did alright, which made me a little more confident about applying, but it was getting late in the cycle. After the month-long headache that was refining a semi-passionate PS, I finally submitted the primary AMCAS in mid-July. In early August, I got nearly 20 secondaries to fill out, and was just overwhelmed with the pressure of trying to concentrate on all that, getting a new job, and dealing with doubt about my ECs. I ended up only filling out 1 secondary on the day it was due and a swift rejection from that school the next week.

Since then, I've been concentrating on my job as a PRN hospice aide, getting a load more shadowing and volunteering hours, learning a few new skills (programming and DIY tinkering), and working on self-improvement.

TL;DR: I freaked out at the secondary stage and put everything off until it was too late. Hopefully the extra time has helped my app but I'm not sure.

Questions:
-Do you think the gap I took to study for the MCAT and apply the first time around (roughly six months, no job, no classes) will reflect poorly on me?
-I feel that my new activities will help me, but could I be doing something more or differently to make my app better?
-Is the fact that I barely even did secondaries going to complicate things this time around? I want it to be clear that I can work hard under pressure, but I didn't do my secondaries because I was filled with... I don't know, low self-esteem.
-Here are my stats; please review:

3.645 cumulative/ 3.791 science/ 34 MCAT (11 phys, 11 vr, 12 bio)

Research: 2 semesters in animal behavior lab; 2 years at bioinformatics start-up with 1 publication
Volunteering: 100+ hours on neuro patient care units, 100+ hours in surg path lab
Leadership: None to speak much of, though I worked as an art teacher for a summer camp and worked at Kumon
Shadowing: A few single-episode sessions in college; recently ~40 hrs with a gen. surgeon and ~20 hrs with internist, and hopefully continue to shadow for a few more months
Work: not counting when I got paid for the research experience... 3 months CNA in memory care, 9 months CNA in hospice
Residency: Spent most of my life in and recently moved from MI, and that's where I'd like to state my residency. Where I live now is not where I want to stay for the next chapter of my life; I'm more likely to go back to MI.

I don't know if I need moral support or a reality check, but, whatever you provide, thanks for your help =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EDIT: Whoops, wrong breakdown of MCAT. Should be 11 phys, 11 vr, 12 bio!

Hey man (or lady) -- don't be so hard on yourself; many people have trouble filling out all of their secondaries, and with everything that was going on in your life at the time, it's no surprise you had trouble focusing on them.

I can't speak to the perception schools might have of not receiving a secondary from you, but I think your stellar grades and MCAT should alleviate any concerns about your ability to focus. Your stats are solid, and while your EC's may not be spectacular, working at a bioinformatics startup is definitely something unique that might set you apart, and your work as a CNA definitely demonstrates your commitment to medicine. Apply early and broadly and I think you have as good a shot as anybody.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure on how it will look re-applying to schools that you didn't fill out a secondary application to when it was given to you and if that will hurt your chances. It could easily not be a problem but I'll defer to someone who knows more on that area.

Your application is fine. You have clinical experience, have solid research experience, a solid GPA(and I'm guessing an upward trend since you became a science major later and your science gpa is much higher) and a good MCAT score. If you apply smartly and broadly you shouldn't have any issues.

Now I will say for your own good you should have a better grasp of your issues with self-esteem and what else was giving you problems to literally quit in the middle of applying and getting depressed. While med schools might not find out about it, for your own good you are going to be experienced with far more stress than filling out med school applications in med school. Rolling up in a shell and trying to avoid it due to issues of self confidence is not going to work later on in life. Again, last year was a learning experience and while I don't think it'll be much of an issue to med schools its something YOU have to sit and reflect on and make sure you have a good grasp of what caused such low self esteem and for you to be uneven and how to prevent that situation from occuring again. Because if it does in medical school, the consequences will be alot worse this time around. If you don't have a good grasp on it yet, then don' t apply until you do and are confident in saying you won't get broken down like that because if you can't be sure of yourself and are looking to post on websites to strangers for confidence boost, then no one else will be sure of you and that's not a recipe for any kind of success in med school and beyond.

@Dro133 Thanks for your kindness. I am a lady hahaha =)

@GrapesofRath Thanks for the advice. Being in the adult world post-college for the last couple of years has really changed my perspective of success. My app fell through last year because I convinced myself I was in over my head, but after working in the industry and substantial shadowing, I feel differently.

Does anyone have some school suggestions for me? I'd like to stick to MD schools, since I don't have the time to shadow a DO and ask for a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
@Dro133 Thanks for your kindness. I am a lady hahaha =)

@GrapesofRath Thanks for the advice. Being in the adult world post-college for the last couple of years has really changed my perspective of success. My app fell through last year because I convinced myself I was in over my head, but after working in the industry and substantial shadowing, I feel differently.

Does anyone have some school suggestions for me? I'd like to stick to MD schools, since I don't have the time to shadow a DO and ask for a letter.

Your stats are similar to mine (though your MCAT is more balanced than mine), and I'm also a female Michigan resident.
With the number of Michigan med schools, I would hang on to your Michigan residency.
Check out my MDAPPS. I applied to 26 schools, but you should apply to all Michigan/Ohio Schools (Ohio gives IS tuition after 1st year),
plus a few privates (MCW, U of Miami, Case, Pitt/Rochester). PM if you want further details.

You should be good to go with your background - - You are not in over your head, and taking time to study for MCAT is no crime.
Sketch out your timeline, and you'll see that the gaps are probably pretty minor. Good Luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user