UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED! Didn't think I would hear back any good news from this program, but I'm sure glad I did.

@closetgunner19, can you elaborate on any textbooks/supplies that we will need for the program? Is there a specific laptop that we will be required to purchase?

Good luck to the rest of you who are still playing the waiting game!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I have a question to those who applied to both the masters program and TCOM. Is the "this application has been reviewed" for the masters program or TCOM?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 10.00.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 10.00.05 PM.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 93
I have a question to those who applied to both the masters program and TCOM. Is the "this application has been reviewed" for the masters program or TCOM?

That bottom one is for the medical school. From the looks of it, your medical sciences application is complete and they have everything they need. Now all you have to do is wait for the status to change, or until you get an email/letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I have a question. If my application was processed before these, does that mean I'm in the "review later" pile? My application status doesn't say it's been reviewed but rolling admissions can be a little wonky.

Does your application say complete? The apps are reviewed in the order in which they are completed, not just processed, because they have to process all documents first before it would be reviewed. If you are rejected, they will email you. They don't do silent rejections.

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED! Didn't think I would hear back any good news from this program, but I'm sure glad I did. For anybody else that's been accepted, here's the link to the facebook page. It was a bit hard for me to find at first: https://www.facebook.com/groups/377286189121477/389866344530128/?notif_t=like

@closetgunner19, can you elaborate on any textbooks/supplies that we will need for the program? Is there a specific laptop that we will be required to purchase?

You'll get an email with all the info for required textbooks. The media package is purchased through the school and you'll get them during orientation.

That bottom one is for the medical school. From the looks of it, your medical sciences application is complete and they have everything they need. Now all you have to do is wait for the status to change, or until you get an email/letter.
Thanks for the reply. Does your medsci application say that it has been reviewed? Someone posted that they got accepted and they sent their app after I did so I am a little confused on the order they are reviewing them.

ACCEPTED! Didn't think I would hear back any good news from this program, but I'm sure glad I did. For anybody else that's been accepted, here's the link to the facebook page. It was a bit hard for me to find at first: https://www.facebook.com/groups/377286189121477/389866344530128/?notif_t=like

Even after you get a textbook list closer to when the semester starts, I would highly recommend waiting for a week or two of classes to pass before buying a textbook. You might not think it at first but PowerPoints and clarifying things you don't understand online should be enough. It will vary based on your studying style though.

As @LTT2014 said, you'll pay for the computer in your tuition and will receive it during orientation.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to everyone waiting! It's gonna be a great year.

Received my acceptance letter yesterday. However, I haven't decided if this program is the right one for me or not. Would love some advice from those in the program right now.......

@closetgunner19, @Chibiusa, @martyMVPturco, @random123 ......Do you know anyone applying for Dental School that is in the program? Has it been beneficial for them?

I am awaiting an acceptance into the Baylor College of Dentistry post-bac program but I really would prefer to get a degree from my hard work and not just a possible acceptance into dental school. I am torn between which programs to accept.

Also, I know there is an MCAT prep from Princeton Review, but did they also do DAT preparation for those going into dental school?

I have found this forum to be very helpful. I appreciate everyone that has been using it especially those already in the program.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the reply. Does your medsci application say that it has been reviewed? Someone posted that they got accepted and they sent their app after I did so I am a little confused on the order they are reviewing them.

I can't remember if my portal ever said that it was being reviewed. I just remembering it saying that it was complete, up until I got the notification today that I was accepted.

One of my friends who applied earlier with even better stats than mine has not yet heard back. Give it a few days and be patient! I didn't think I'd hear back for the longest time.

Thanks @LTT2014 and @random123 for the advice. I'll hold off on all of that until I get the email. Still a bit surprised that I got the good news today. Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what kind of laptop it is? I was already considering purchasing a laptop for personal use. I'll probably not make a purchase if the school required laptop is similar enough to what I'm looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
Does your application say complete? The apps are reviewed in the order in which they are completed, not just processed, because they have to process all documents first before it would be reviewed. If you are rejected, they will email you. They don't do silent rejections.
Completed mid January! Thanks for the response. :)

@tennisalex, congrats on the acceptance. Are you still in the running for any Med Schools for this year?

Unfortunately I am not, but I will keep trying my chances until I get in somewhere. Gotta keep chasing after my dream job!

Received my acceptance letter yesterday. However, I haven't decided if this program is the right one for me or not. Would love some advice from those in the program right now.......

@closetgunner19, @Chibiusa, @martyMVPturco, @random123 ......Do you know anyone applying for Dental School that is in the program? Has it been beneficial for them?

I am awaiting an acceptance into the Baylor College of Dentistry post-bac program but I really would prefer to get a degree from my hard work and not just a possible acceptance into dental school. I am torn between which programs to accept.

Also, I know there is an MCAT prep from Princeton Review, but did they also do DAT preparation for those going into dental school?

I have found this forum to be very helpful. I appreciate everyone that has been using it especially those already in the program.

Yes, Princeton does the DAT prep for pre-dental students. One student I know got accepted into Baylor, and another to UT Houston. There aren't very many pre-dental students in our class.

Technically, you will be getting a degree, MS Medical Sciences. Of those in the past who did not get into a professional school, most switch to a CRM degree or a 2-yr Anatomy Track (very limited space) and re-apply the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't remember if my portal ever said that it was being reviewed. I just remembering it saying that it was complete, up until I got the notification today that I was accepted.

One of my friends who applied earlier with even better stats than mine has not yet heard back. Give it a few days and be patient! I didn't think I'd hear back for the longest time.

Thanks @LTT2014 and @random123 for the advice. I'll hold off on all of that until I get the email. Still a bit surprised that I got the good news today. Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what kind of laptop it is? I was already considering purchasing a laptop for personal use. I'll probably not make a purchase if the school required laptop is similar enough to what I'm looking for.

Macbook Pro 13" Retina and iPad mini w/ retina. Might change next year as last year's class was different from ours. Even if you end up already having the identical model laptop, you will still be required to purchase the media package because it is loaded with the app you'll need to take exams.

So my student portal says my app was completed 12/23, but I remember they didn't have all of my transcripts until late January (presumably due to holidays?). Does that mean I'm going to be reviewed with the late January people or late December? Also, here are some stats because I'm super nervous about the fact that I haven't heard back yet! What do y'all think my odds are?
cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 29
3.5 years working 911 EMS
Hundreds of shadowing hours
Volunteering at a ton of EMS things

Maybe I'm just being super paranoid, but I'm nervous that I haven't heard back yet. Although, since they don't do silent rejections, no news is good news!

So my student portal says my app was completed 12/23, but I remember they didn't have all of my transcripts until late January (presumably due to holidays?). Does that mean I'm going to be reviewed with the late January people or late December? Also, here are some stats because I'm super nervous about the fact that I haven't heard back yet! What do y'all think my odds are?
cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 29

Maybe I'm just being super paranoid, but I'm nervous that I haven't heard back yet. Although, since they don't do silent rejections, no news is good news!

They will give acceptances until the week or so before class starts. There is a dude in our class that got a call a few days before the program began.

Just so you all know, ADCOM looks at the applications, they makes a decision about who they want and send acceptance, they then also send denials for those they don't want, while simultaneously making a pile for the maybes. They maybes are readdressed later and decisions are made at that time.

If your app says complete then it's complete, be patient.

I submitted my complete app at the end of January and under "Application Date" is listed 2/3/15. My status says that I am missing my LORs. I have called them several times and emailed them but they all say if I turned it in they'll get to it. Why would it take this long to review LORs? Should I be worried? FYI I sent them through Interfolio.

Last edited:
hi everyone,
i've been lurking around in this thread for awhile now and have finally decided to post something. just wondering, is anyone else having a REALLY hard time getting in touch with the GSBS? i've tried a couple of different numbers several times and have always gotten the machine. i finished submitting everything around feb. 18, but i wanted to call and verify that i'm not missing anything.. especially since the deadline is on friday. any suggestions on which number to use and perhaps around what time i should try calling? thanks so much for any input

The only number that actually works is 817-735-2789. It's busy but I hit redial until I get through. A lot of the other numbers for some reason do not work..."you have reached a non-working number". Hope that helps.

The only number that actually works is 817-735-2789. It's busy but I hit redial until I get through. A lot of the other numbers for some reason do not work..."you have reached a non-working number". Hope that helps.
I always called 2560 and never had problems

Almost all of the pre-dental students that I personally know have been accepted. Every dental school in TX has accepted at least one of our pre-dental students so far...

cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 29

Youre being paranoid. But fyi, shadowing means nothing, sGPA is not a factor which you'd know if you've read any of the posts in this thread. Also, you'd know that acceptances started going out yesterday... yet youre SUPER NERVOUS about not getting in lol. Thats a little ridiculous. Calm down... it doesn't matter who you get reviewed with, in fact they review everyone equally. Doctors need to be calm people... be a calm person, everything will be okay.

ACCEPTED! Didn't think I would hear back any good news from this program, but I'm sure glad I did.

Wait to see what tech package they give yall (we got 13'' macbook retinas and ipad minis... pretty baller if you ask me). The package is not optional even if you already own the exact same thing, it comes loaded with software you'll need. I wouldnt advise buying any books other than a Netter's anatomy atlas which you will buy for med/dental school regardless because it's the gold standard for anatomy. If you do want some other books for courses, just get the old cheap editions off of amazon for like 10 bucks. other than that you will just need basic school stuff. They will inform you of everything you need about a hundred times anyway so dont fret it

Looks like they're moving along quickly this week... Just updated to complete! I guess its fingers crossed from here on out. GL to everyone and congrats to those who already got accepted!

When did you apply?

Did you turn in your resume along with your application ? Congrats on acceptance.
Thank you! I don't remember the application exactly (sorry!), but I turned everything that was asked of me all at once. Besides the payment which I mailed in of course.

cGPA 3.1
sGPA 3.23
MCAT 29

Hello, I got accepted yesterday, Here are my stats:
cGPA 3.34
sGPA 3.53
Last 60 units: 3.85
Major: Chemistry
Minor: Mathematics
MCAT: 21
EC: ER scribe, Science and Math Tutor, Research Assistant, Volunteer work

Hope this helps.....Really, they consider everything..... be patient and all the best!

Reactions: 5 users
Had a quick question. If one or two transcripts that were sent out a week ago didn't make it by the deadline. Would they pretty much throw you out of contention for a seat in this program ? I am suspecting they have had so many mails come in that they are still processing all of them. Has anyone been in my position ?

Hello, I got accepted yesterday, Here are my stats:
cGPA 3.34
sGPA 3.53
Last 60 units: 3.85
Major: Chemistry
Minor: Mathematics
MCAT: 21
EC: ER scribe, Science and Math Tutor, Research Assistant, Volunteer work

Hope this helps.....Really, they consider everything..... be patient and all the best!
Congrats!!!
When did you send in your app?

Congrats!!!
When did you send in your app?

Thank you! I sent it in 01/20.....it went from incomplete to complete 02/28. I knew all the required documents had been received on 02/10 because I called and checked. It just took a while to get everything processed I believe.

Congrats to all that have been accepted!!

Seems like my application was put in the "review later pile" because I was complete Jan 23 and there are a few people who were completed after me with acceptances. Does anyone know if the comittee looks at all the applications before coming back to the "review later pile?" Or look at the pile every time they get together or something?

How are people knowing when they are "complete". Does it say that on the portal? The only date I see is the date I applied.

How are people knowing when they are "complete". Does it say that on the portal? The only date I see is the date I applied.

On the portal, it says "This application is complete" On the student center, it has a green circle beside it. The green circle meaning complete. I also have a check mark within another circle meaning "checklist complete"

Congrats to all that have been accepted!!

Seems like my application was put in the "review later pile" because I was complete Jan 23 and there are a few people who were completed after me with acceptances. Does anyone know if the comittee looks at all the applications before coming back to the "review later pile?" Or look at the pile every time they get together or something?

No one knows

Do you mind sharing your stats? I am also pre-dental.

Had a quick question. If one or two transcripts that were sent out a week ago didn't make it by the deadline. Would they pretty much throw you out of contention for a seat in this program ? I am suspecting they have had so many mails come in that they are still processing all of them. Has anyone been in my position ?

You should be fine.

On the portal, it says "This application is complete" On the student center, it has a green circle beside it. The green circle meaning complete. I also have a check mark within another circle meaning "checklist complete"
Yeah I know that, but how are you knowing the date its complete. I have the green circle and the green circle with the check. But where is this date coming from. That's my question

Yeah I know that, but how are you knowing the date its complete. I have the green circle and the green circle with the check. But where is this date coming from. That's my question

Oh sorry! I called to make sure they receieved my transcript, LOR, application fee and etc. on Jan 23 and they said yes and updated my status as we were speaking on the phone. Moments later, my application said complete. There is no date written out. I just know my application status changed to complete on Jan 23. Hope I made more sense there.

Based on this, I would say your application was completed on March 12.
I called and they told me they had everything a week prior to this, I just had no EUID. But nevertheless it doesn't matter when it was complete or not, if they like me they like me. Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Im just glad they have everything.

There are a handful of pre-dents in the program. The ones I do know have all gotten acceptances into dental school.

They also offer a DAT preparation course for those of you who are pre-dent

Congrats to all the applicants who have been accepted! Will someone please answer this question for me. I turned in my application this past week and submitted all materials expect one more recommendation letter is on the way. I do not know where to check my status on my application and I haven't received an mail either giving me a user id to check my application.

Congrats to all the applicants who have been accepted! Will someone please answer this question for me. I turned in my application this past week and submitted all materials expect one more recommendation letter is on the way. I do not know where to check my status on my application and I haven't received an mail either giving me a user id to check my application.
You'll just have to call.

@mood0676 I submitted my application along with the rest of my documents(in person) last week and i haven't gotten an email with my log in information either. The lady in the front desk told me she had about 400 emails to go through so I'm guessing they will send us our log-in info soon so we can start checking the status of our application. But if you're really worried, i would call and then let me know what they say! Congrats to everyone that has already been accepted!

@mood0676 I submitted my application along with the rest of my documents(in person) last week and i haven't gotten an email with my log in information either. The lady in the front desk told me she had about 400 emails to go through so I'm guessing they will send us our log-in info soon so we can start checking the status of our application. But if you're really worried, i would call and then let me know what they say! Congrats to everyone that has already been accepted!
Thank you for the reply! I spoke with the admissions office and they have informed me that they are still going through February's applicants and that March applicants should wait another week or two before receiving a pin.

Just received an email from the office, they have all my transcripts, thank god. Thought school was out on spring break but glad they are still working on our apps. Now just hang back and wait on how things play out. Good luck to everyone. Anyone on here studying for mcat ? Behavioral science sucks, has anyone found any questions banks for biochem and behavioral science ? I am using Kaplan book to read the material.