UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can we send supplemental documents (like a CV) after the deadline? My application was complete in January so I am pretty sure I'm in the "wait til later " list of applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we send supplemental documents (like a CV) after the deadline? My application was complete in January so I am pretty sure I'm in the "wait til later " list of applicants.
Someone I knew send in a letter of intent

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wonder how effective it will be if they have 400 emails to go through still.
Valid point. I got denied to the other post-bacc programs so I'm feeling a little heartbroken, and wanting to do anything I can, but I guess it is best to just let it be. Thanks!

Has anyone (or know anyone) actually been denied for this upcoming class? Just want to know if those of us who haven't been accepted are actually in a "wait til later" pile

Reactions: 1 users
Valid point. I got denied to the other post-bacc programs so I'm feeling a little heartbroken, and wanting to do anything I can, but I guess it is best to just let it be. Thanks!
Who knows how effective it won't be? At the open house I met a current MedSci student who told me that's what she did. So I went home and sent one in before my app was completed. I don't really believe things "hurt", because what's meant for me can never miss me, but again I'm the aggressive thorn. Lol!

Reactions: 2 users
I think a well written CV/resume will help. If you think about it, the admissions committee will probably miss some parts of your application just due to the fact of the high amount of applications and time crunch so having a resume that highlights all of your experience will help them to quickly see what all you have done.

Make sure that it is well written and formatted well because a sloppy resume could hurt more than it helps. If you do send it hopefully they will just add it to your file even though it is past the deadline.

Reactions: 3 users

Technically you can do whatever you want. I have a hard time seeing the adcom looking negatively upon a letter of intent or a CV; they may not immediately accept you because of it but they wont remove you from consideration by any means.

Has anyone (or know anyone) actually been denied for this upcoming class? Just want to know if those of us who haven't been accepted are actually in a "wait til later" pile

Don't worry too much about this "wait til later pile" thing. In med school admissions... some people get pre-matched very soon, even 1 week, after their interviews. This doesn't mean that just because you didn't pre-match (or get accepted to MedSci on the earliest possible day of acceptances) that you're in some other pile w/ the scrubs. All it means is that the people who were pre-matched (or accepted very early to MedSci as we've seen) happened to check all the boxes and hit all the major high points w/ the AdCom. Historically, acceptances go out on Friday's. (I may regret saying that because now everyone will take it as biblical truth and think that fridays are the one and only day of the week that people can get accepted and if they dont get in this friday then their hopes are crushed...) Just relax and let the process carry through

Just received an email from the office, they have all my transcripts, thank god. Thought school was out on spring break but glad they are still working on our apps. Now just hang back and wait on how things play out. Good luck to everyone. Anyone on here studying for mcat ? Behavioral science sucks, has anyone found any questions banks for biochem and behavioral science ? I am using Kaplan book to read the material.

I'm using Exam Krackers to study. I bought the "complete study package" but haven't really gone through them yet. It's hard for me to make time to study for the MCAT while taking classes :/

One more thing: I don't believe they evaluate/accept/deny applicants, in any chronological order based on when you applied. At orientation last year, it seemed almost random when I would talk to people about when they applied vs. when they got accepted so don't gouge your eyes out or gnaw on the last millimeter of your finger nails when you're stressed and chronically refreshing your email or checking MyHSC for an acceptance.

Just received an email from the office, they have all my transcripts, thank god. Thought school was out on spring break but glad they are still working on our apps. Now just hang back and wait on how things play out. Good luck to everyone. Anyone on here studying for mcat ? Behavioral science sucks, has anyone found any questions banks for biochem and behavioral science ? I am using Kaplan book to read the material.

Princeton review has this huge book full of passages... i forgot what it's called but I'm sure someone on here knows. This was my favorite resource when studying because it was slightly more difficult than the real MCAT in my opinion but not to the extent where it wasn't effective. I also liked Exam Krackers text books because they weed about a bunch of useless details that you see in Princeton Review textbooks. My advice is to do as many practice MCATs as you possibly can, even if they are the old format. Don't take breaks between sections, try to emulate the real setting as well as you can. Something else I liked to do was to take my practice exams at the same time of day that my real MCAT was scheduled.

Don't worry too much about this "wait til later pile" thing. In med school admissions... some people get pre-matched very soon, even 1 week, after their interviews. This doesn't mean that just because you didn't pre-match (or get accepted to MedSci on the earliest possible day of acceptances) that you're in some other pile w/ the scrubs. All it means is that the people who were pre-matched (or accepted very early to MedSci as we've seen) happened to check all the boxes and hit all the major high points w/ the AdCom. Historically, acceptances go out on Friday's. (I may regret saying that because now everyone will take it as biblical truth and think that fridays are the one and only day of the week that people can get accepted and if they dont get in this friday then their hopes are crushed...) Just relax and let the process carry through

Thank you for all of your responses, closetgunner19! I went ahead and sent in my resume, and now back to keeping myself busy in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using Exam Krackers to study. I bought the "complete study package" but haven't really gone through them yet. It's hard for me to make time to study for the MCAT while taking classes :/

If studying for MCAT is hard while in undergrad classes then you have a harsh reality coming. Just being honest...

How'd they phrase it for Biochem? Something like it's 6 week course that covers at least year of undergrad biochem. In addition to your other coursework. I think that helps prep you for the even more rigorous real deal in med school.

TL;DR- It's high speed and some topics go pretty deep.

Also, I was accepted on April 4th last year. It was a Friday (not Thursday as I previously noted) and I would think I had one of the earlier applications in- I was complete in November. Just wait it out and don't check your status multiple times a day like I did.

Last edited:
upload_2015-3-19_8-0-20.png

source: http://doccartoon.blogspot.com/sear...0-08:00&max-results=10&start=40&by-date=false

Reactions: 4 users
How'd they phrase it for Biochem? Something like it's 6 week course that covers at least year of undergrad biochem. In addition to your other coursework. I think that helps prep you for the even more rigorous real deal in med school.

TL;DR- It's high speed and some topics go pretty deep.

Also, I was accepted on April 4th last year. It was a Thursday and I would think I had one of the earlier applications in- I was complete in November. Just wait it out and don't check your status multiple times a day like I did.

So the biochem class you are talking about, is it the intro to biochem or the fall semester biochem ? If I get accepted I'll have to take the mcat prep class along with intro to biochem and biostat...hope there will be enough time to focus on mcat.

So the biochem class you are talking about, is it the intro to biochem or the fall semester biochem ? If I get accepted I'll have to take the mcat prep class along with intro to biochem and biostat...hope there will be enough time to focus on mcat.
If you are accepted, you get to take (optional) intro to biochemistry, online biostatistics, and your MCAT prep course as far as your strictly academic classes are concerned. MCAT prep is I think four days a week for three hours. You'll learn time management for sure. I hope I get the opportunity.

Once again you are putting the cart before the horse.. You are definitely a worrier, so let me put your mind at ease. The course he is speaking about is in the fall. The course over the summer you can opt out of if you so choose. You unfortunately have to take Biostats but you have it easy because it's on line. I hope that you have good time management skills and are able to focus on your studies or you will not make it through this program. The program is asking a lot of the students, just like medical school does. You should be excited to take on the challenge, and succeed, because it will lead to a white coat. Keep wondering if you can do it and you will probably be better off going to Nurse practitioner school, which is a fantastic career, but not near as demanding as Medical school.

Just my 2 cents..

Yes, in the fall. Biostats is a 4 credit class so it weighs heavily and even though it's online, it won't be a breeze. I took it online in undergrad and this grad level class was a different beast.

If you are accepted, you get to take (optional) intro to biochemistry, online biostatistics, and your MCAT prep course as far as your strictly academic classes are concerned. MCAT prep is I think four days a week for three hours. You'll learn time management for sure. I hope I get the opportunity.

Biostats is also the only graded course in the first semester. Here's the MCAT class calendar we had. It'll probably be different with the new material.

Attachments

• MCAT Class Schedule by Category 2014.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 132
Once again you are putting the cart before the horse.. You are definitely a worrier, so let me put your mind at ease. The course he is speaking about is in the fall. The course over the summer you can opt out of if you so choose. You unfortunately have to take Biostats but you have it easy because it's on line. I hope that you have good time management skills and are able to focus on your studies or you will not make it through this program. The program is asking a lot of the students, just like medical school does. You should be excited to take on the challenge, and succeed, because it will lead to a white coat. Keep wondering if you can do it and you will probably be better off going to Nurse practitioner school, which is a fantastic career, but not near as demanding as Medical school.

Just my 2 cents..

Thanks for your 2 cents. I see this forum as a platform to ask questions regarding the program. So if you feel like my questions are annoying, you don't have to reply to them. I know what I am capable of, and I know med school is all about time management. So thanks for your suggestions and would appreciate answers in a non judgmental tone. Thanks.

Yes, in the fall. Biostats is a 4 credit class so it weighs heavily and even though it's online, it won't be a breeze. I took it online in undergrad and this grad level class was a different beast.

Biostats is also the only graded course in the first semester. Here's the MCAT class calendar we had. It'll probably be different with the new material.

Oh yeah, I forgot about them mentioning that the introductory biochem is pass/fail at the open house. Thanks!

He/she was talking about biochem in the fall. All I know about intro to biochem is that it was pass/fail.

If you're worried about not having enough time to do that and MCAT prep, I think there's a certain date you can drop the course by and get a refund, or you could try and get a syllabus and study some on your own. For some reason I feel like the intro course only covered material up to the first exam (could be wrong, I don't know) but if that's the case, a few YouTube videos over the pathways could go a long way if you don't want to take the intro course.

Last edited:
Thanks for your 2 cents. I see this forum as a platform to ask questions regarding the program. So if you feel like my questions are annoying, you don't have to reply to them. I know what I am capable of, and I know med school is all about time management. So thanks for your suggestions and would appreciate answers in a non judgmental tone. Thanks.

Your welcome and to be honest I'm not being judgmental I'm stating the facts. Admissions doesn't care if you had a heavy course load and couldn't study for the MCAT the way you wanted. If this is a concern, which is valid, then this program might not be for you. You will have more time to study and get the score you want without Medsci. Understanding what your capable of, as you mentioned, is a good thing and is the first display of confidence you have shown (respectfully). Be positive, work hard, and success will follow. Ask your questions that's why current and past members are here, but we can't answer how you or anyone else for that matter will preform with the course load, that's on the individual.

Reactions: 3 users
Your welcome and to be honest I'm not being judgmental I'm stating the facts. Admissions doesn't care if you had a heavy course load and couldn't study for the MCAT the way you wanted. If this is a concern, which is valid, then this program might not be for you. You will have more time to study and get the score you want without Medsci. Understanding what your capable of, as you mentioned, is a good thing and is the first display of confidence you have shown (respectfully). Be positive, work hard, and success will follow. Ask your questions that's why current and past members are here, but we can't answer how you or anyone else for that matter will preform with the course load, that's on the individual.

*you're
*perform
:bang:
spell check it out, bro hahaha

For starters, he was not trying to judge. He was merely stating the truth albeit it in a manner which ruffled the feathers of your sensitivity. Those of us who pursue medicine as a career must have an inherent mindset of "no amount of work is too much". If at any point during MedSci you feel completely overwhelmed or feel like you are being asked for more than that of which you are capable, then the proverbial white flag may need to make an appearance.

It comes down to this, any workload they may throw at you here, at med sci, is tremendous but will likely be trumped by what will be thrown at you in medical school. That being said, going in to med sci w/ the utmost confidence that you will be able to handle any academic task is paramount in your success (while keeping the thought in the back of your mind that at some point, you will be asked to ramp up the intensity even more if you are so privileged to matriculate to a med school).

cliff notes: be confident, don't be hesitant or apprehensive about the workload here (or anywhere for that matter). Becoming a physician isn't a right; its an earned privilege.

I had a quick question for people who are currently enrolled in the program about commuting.

Since the program does not have University housing, I assumed most people commute to campus. Is there parking for students in the area or does one have to purchase a parking pass? If the latter is the case, how much does one usually run for the whole year?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I had a quick question for people who are currently enrolled in the program about commuting.

Since the program does not have University housing, I assumed most people commute to campus. Is there parking for students in the area or does one have to purchase a parking pass? If the latter is the case, how much does one usually run for the whole year?

It's like a smaller version of a normal college except no on campus housing, plenty of parking and tons of apartments nearby

@closetgunner19, speaking of which, could you share some advice on finding housing? Where do most students live? Which apartments are reasonably priced for what you get and aren't too far of a drive from campus? I'm going to be headed to Dallas tomorrow so I figured I should probably snoop around Ft. Worth for housing while I have the time.

Not to drag the conversation out…

First off, I’d like to thank all of the current/past medsci students for taking the time to help out. With such busy schedules, answering our questions and seeing us yammer on about our worries is definitely going out on a limb. We do need the blunt and honest truth in order to knock us back down to reality.

But I do empathize with @RN2MD2014applicant . Sure, you can think of her concerns about not keeping up as a self-fulfilling prophesy. Or, you can see it as it is – a worry that most applicants and students will have. It doesn’t always translate into having poor confidence or inadequate understanding of how difficult MedSci is going to be. I don’t think her small comment warranted such assumptions. Most of us know its not going to be a cake walk. Our worries of not being able to kick ass is natural, and feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material to absorb will be expected sometimes. There aren't many med students I know of that didn't feel overwhelmed at one point. Doesn’t mean they’re going to throw the white flag. Just means they developed the strategies necessary to deal with it and move on. That, or they use their worries to drive their desire to do well.

While I honestly wouldn’t be offended by any of the comments, I understand how a very small amount can be seen as belittling whether you meant it or not. Many of us use this forum to not only learn about the program but also gain support. Yes its repetitive and some of us just need the tough love and chill out. But to assume our level of dedication, predict how well we’d fare, and suggest other career routes like nurse practitioner school just based on our concerns is unnecessary.

With that said, i was wondering the same thing as @tennisalex about apartments. I won't be able to go to DiscoverMyHsc and I am always a bit skeptical of online reviews. I'll be going down with someone who went to TCOM a few years ago, but I would appreciate any recommendations from you cool cats :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@closetgunner19, speaking of which, could you share some advice on finding housing? Where do most students live? Which apartments are reasonably priced for what you get and aren't too far of a drive from campus? I'm going to be headed to Dallas tomorrow so I figured I should probably snoop around Ft. Worth for housing while I have the time.
What I did was just find the HSC on a map then I searched "apartments" and basically went (physically went to) to every one I could and got price quotes. I live in apartment on a street called River Park, not terribly far from campus and there are about 6 different apartment complexes on the street ranging from like 640 to 1000+ for a 1BR. Not sure about 2BR prices.

Then there's the kush place to live 2 minutes from campus, lofts off 7th, very expensive and not worth it if you're living on loans like most. .

I wouldn't recommend anyone getting a place based off online website/reviews alone, I almost did this and when I went to the place it ended up being government-assisted housing.

Yall can PM me for more details about the specific complex that I live in.

Not to drag the conversation out…

First off, I’d like to thank all of the current/past medsci students for taking the time to help out. With such busy schedules, answering our questions and seeing us yammer on about our worries is definitely going out on a limb. We do need the blunt and honest truth in order to knock us back down to reality.

But I do empathize with @RN2MD2014applicant . Sure, you can think of her concerns about not keeping up as a self-fulfilling prophesy. Or, you can see it as it is – a worry that most applicants and students will have. It doesn’t always translate into having poor confidence or inadequate understanding of how difficult MedSci is going to be. I don’t think her small comment warranted such assumptions. Most of us know its not going to be a cake walk. Our worries of not being able to kick ass is natural, and feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of material to absorb will be expected sometimes. There aren't many med students I know of that didn't feel overwhelmed at one point. Doesn’t mean they’re going to throw the white flag. Just means they developed the strategies necessary to deal with it and move on. That, or they use their worries to drive their desire to do well.

While I honestly wouldn’t be offended by any of the comments, I understand how a very small amount can be seen as belittling whether you meant it or not. Many of us use this forum to not only learn about the program but also gain support. Yes its repetitive and some of us just need the tough love and chill out. But to assume our level of dedication, predict how well we’d fare, and suggest other career routes like nurse practitioner school just based on our concerns is unnecessary.

With that said, i was wondering the same thing as @tennisalex about apartments. I won't be able to go to DiscoverMyHsc and I am always a bit skeptical of online reviews. I'll be going down with someone who went to TCOM a few years ago, but I would appreciate any recommendations from you cool cats :)

He probably said NP because the poster is already an RN judging by their user name. And in reality, the majority of people that are "pre-med" are really not cut out for it... Hence why a school may get 6,000 applications, interview 1,000, and accept 220. From my honest experience, "worriers" are already at a deficit and tend to be the ones who beat themselves before the battle begins. If the tough love and criticism weeds some people out then they probably weren't cut out for this in the first place and that's 100% okay.

Good luck

Our pass was like 100 bucks or something for the whole year, I actually find the whole parking department here much more simple and laid back than any other univ. Or HSC I've been to...

I have a question regarding a resume if one of you would be kind enough to help. If we decided to send one in, is it the same one I would use to send for a job application? (as in do I keep parts saying I am skilled in microsoft office etc)

I have a question regarding a resume if one of you would be kind enough to help. If we decided to send one in, is it the same one I would use to send for a job application? (as in do I keep parts saying I am skilled in microsoft office etc)
You adapt your resume to any job you apply for. Adapt it to include relevant information to joining the program and becoming a physician. Most people are skilled in office so things like that aren't so good. There shouldn't be any reason for ad com to say, "so what?" Show your qualifications and your experience and your passion.

I sent a CV, and because of the profession I'm in currently I didn't have to change anything, it all played on what I'm going towards. You tweak it to make it seem like you fit the part even if you don't. Resumes are fluffed bullsh*t. I read three today for an open position in my department they all say the same thing but each brought a different set of skills but catered to our department.

My status on the MyHSC just updated and it is now showing that it is missing my letter of recommendation letters. I applied and had all my materials in by Late Jan/Early Feb and am somewhat nervous that my application might now be skimmed over since it is past the deadline and it is technically incomplete.

Anybody have any advice on how best to proceed? I'm really keen on getting in to this school!!!

Seems like they have been really getting stuff done this week. My application status turned complete today. @Neeticus, sorry to hear about your situation. I would just call or email the office, they are pretty good at replying. From the little experience I have had with them, I would think they did be willing to work with you. Hope everything works out for you.

My status on the MyHSC just updated and it is now showing that it is missing my letter of recommendation letters. I applied and had all my materials in by Late Jan/Early Feb and am somewhat nervous that my application might now be skimmed over since it is past the deadline and it is technically incomplete.

Anybody have any advice on how best to proceed? I'm really keen on getting in to this school!!!
call them...

If you think there is truly enough on your resume to give you an edge over other applicants then send it. But, if you are fresh out of college or you've had 1 job... then I doubt there is anything in your resume (that is not in your app) that would help you stand out.

If you think there is truly enough on your resume to give you an edge over other applicants then send it. But, if you are fresh out of college or you've had 1 job... then I doubt there is anything in your resume (that is not in your app) that would help you stand out.
I second this advice! I sent mine in because I had a pretty unique job all of college and own my own business, which I didn't get to talk about on my application. I made sure to tie it in to my qualifications and wrote a strong objective statement. Good luck!

Just a quick note for those with "Incomplete" marked applications: There are only a few people handling the entire influx of application materials, so they are SLOOOOOOW about sorting through it all. My application still showed "Incomplete" 2 weeks after the deadline and then one day, everything was checked off except one LOR, which was then marked off a few days later.

TL/DR: Don't sweat it if your application is still incomplete at this point, they are just slow at updating everything

I just thought I'd add this as well: It's great that ya'll have some current med sci students (including myself) answering your questions in here, but don't let us kill your confidence about getting into this program. Yes, if you post your "stats" and ask us what your chances of getting in are, then you should be prepared to take the good with the bad, but remember, these are just OPINIONS. Just because someone says you have zero chance of getting in this program/succeeding in this program/etc, doesn't mean a damn thing. Even if you had a crap uGPA, MCAT, extracurriculars.. whatever the case may be.. if you are accepted into this program and give it your all, YOU CAN SUCCEED. I get the whole "past performance is an indicator of future success", but the whole point of this program is to get a fresh start and the chance to reinvent yourself. I'll be blatantly honest: my study skills in undergrad were TERRIBLE and I didn't realize it until I got into this program. Yeah, I could have probably pulled B's if I kept the status quo, but instead, I've been busting my ass to try out new study strategies and it has paid dividends.

Sorry if that seemed like a rant, but trust me when I say I KNOW WHAT YA'LL ARE GOING THROUGH. The waiting game is the worst part. I didn't hear back from the admissions committee until May 8th when I was placed on the wait list. I finally moved off of the wait list on May 14th (orientation started May 21st).

If ya'll have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. I like to believe I am a good resource because I wasn't the best student in undergrad, but I haven't let that stop me from succeeding in this program. No, I don't have a 4.0, but I am damn proud of myself for the effort I have put in to make substantial changes to my study strategy and overall thought process.

I am rooting for each and every one of you.

Reactions: 16 users
I have submitted my applications (and fees) on March 6th, and have yet to received my EID. Anyone else in the same boat?

I have submitted my applications (and fees) on March 6th, and have yet to received my EID. Anyone else in the same boat?

I also submitted at the beginning of March and just received my EID on Friday so I'm sure you'll be recieving yours soon. :)

I also submitted at the beginning of March and just received my EID on Friday so I'm sure you'll be recieving yours soon. :)

I also just received mine on Friday and I believe my application was finished on the 3rd!

I submitted mine March 12th online and submitted the rest of my files in person on the 13th and I still haven't received my EID. But a friend of mine called and inquired and they said that they still haven't reached a lot of applications and to be patient. If you are still really worried I would suggest calling or emailing UNT but I am pretty sure they will give you the same answer.

Thank you for all of your responses, closetgunner19! I went ahead and sent in my resume, and now back to keeping myself busy in the meantime.
My application was complete back in January, but I still haven't heard anything; do you mind if I inquire as to where you emailed your resume? Gotogradschool or someone specific?

My application was complete back in January, but I still haven't heard anything; do you mind if I inquire as to where you emailed your resume? Gotogradschool or someone specific?
Yes gotogradschool with MedSci in the subject