UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh no! Sorry, I should've posted about it that day! Since you're going to be there you should give them a call tomorrow though, you never know!

I think I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh no! Sorry, I should've posted about it that day! Since you're going to be there you should give them a call tomorrow though, you never know!

Thanks for your suggestion, they registered me through phone. Hope we will get some good information tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry if this has been asked before on here but can anyone shed the light on what are the summer/fall/spring schedules like and class times? Is attendance required? Can you stream lectures online? Is it doable to have a full-time or part-time job while enrolling in MedSci?

Thanks in advance and best of luck everyone!

I am sorry if this has been asked before on here but can anyone shed the light on what are the summer/fall/spring schedules like and class times? Is attendance required? Can you stream lectures online? Is it doable to have a full-time or part-time job while enrolling in MedSci?

If you go back and read the earlier posts (like first 5 pages), you wi find answers to most of those questions. I believe this year's schedule will be given at the May orientation?

Yeah, most of these answers are just a few pages back, and the curriculum is also on the website! But, as far as the job is concerned, the short answer is no. Your job is being a student and it is an intense curriculum; you MAY be able to handle a weekend job but they said at the open house that they encourage people to quit their jobs. Your number one goal over the next year will be preparing and trying to get into medical school. Hope that helps! I own a personal training business and know that I will have to dwindle down to one or two loyal clients if I get into the program. It's just a sacrifice we have to make. Yay, financial aid! :D

Reactions: 1 users

I think someone mentioned that you could probably have a job during the summer term since the classes shouldn't be too bad and one is even optional I think (intro to biochemistry?). However, school should be your first priority during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Intro to Biochem was 8:30-10 on most days. MCAT prep was 11-1 all week. Biostats will be online for you guys. Application workshops randomly scattered in there- they take attendance. Health Disparities Conference is mandatory. Preceptorship just needs to be completed by first day of spring semester- it's not an actual class that requires attendance.

Technically, you can work, but it shouldn't be a full-time job unless you plan to work all weekend, which I wouldn't recommend. Maybe hold off until you get your summer sched to look for a job or modify your work sched? Make that A in Biostats- don't start off the year with a 3.0...like someone did over here. Definitely can't work during fall or spring though.

Info session was pretty good. Impressed with the little I got to see and hear of the health science center. Really want this acceptance letter now.

Reactions: 3 users
Info session was pretty good. Impressed with the little I got to see and hear of the health science center. Really want this acceptance letter now.
Can you tell us what happened?

Last edited:
Can any current MedSci students shed some light on whether or not I would be able to manage an A&P course during the full summer session? I've taken the corresponding one last summer and it was very manageable while working 20-30 hours a week.

I do not need to take the MCAT prep course, and since I'll be fresh out of BICH I will not be taking that either- leaving me with Biostat, app workshops, and clinical preceptorship for the summer? I figure the only thing that requires effort is Biostat. I'll already be submitting my med school application in May so that'll already be out of the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who went to Discover myHSC, did they offer any advice or recommendations for housing?

Also, could any current/past medsci student share their experience with "last minute" apartment hunting? Was it difficult to grab a 1BR apartment/efficiency that was affordable (<$800) and relatively close to campus? I won't be able to make a trip to Fort Worth until the end of April, unfortunately.

Edit: I was also looking at the summer 2014 schedule provided either on this thread or the previous. It had preceptorship blocks starting July 21, with different sections (sections 1-5) occurring on different days of the week. Was this the start date for you guys or were you able to begin earlier in June? A bunch of questions, but I'd appreciate the insight. Thanks!

Last edited:
Can any current MedSci students shed some light on whether or not I would be able to manage an A&P course during the full summer session? I've taken the corresponding one last summer and it was very manageable while working 20-30 hours a week.

I do not need to take the MCAT prep course, and since I'll be fresh out of BICH I will not be taking that either- leaving me with Biostat, app workshops, and clinical preceptorship for the summer? I figure the only thing that requires effort is Biostat. I'll already be submitting my med school application in May so that'll already be out of the way!

I thought the MedSci program already has its own version of A&P (according to their published schedule) why do you need to take one in the summer?

I thought the MedSci program already has its own version of A&P (according to their published schedule) why do you need to take one in the summer?
The MedSci program does have A&P at the graduate level.

Honestly I just want to take it to boost up my science GPA for this application cycle since there won't be that many grades from the MedSci program being computed into the application before interviews/offers are going to be extended :/

For those who went to Discover myHSC, did they offer any advice or recommendations for housing?

Also, could any current/past medsci student share their experience with "last minute" apartment hunting? Was it difficult to grab a 1BR apartment/efficiency that was affordable (<$800) and relatively close to campus? I won't be able to make a trip to Fort Worth until the end of April, unfortunately.

Edit: I was also looking at the summer 2014 schedule provided either on this thread or the previous. It had preceptorship blocks starting July 21, with different sections (sections 1-5) occurring on different days of the week. Was this the start date for you guys or were you able to begin earlier in June? A bunch of questions, but I'd appreciate the insight. Thanks!

You can start accumulating your preceptorship hours as soon as you are accepted into the program. Those blocked days (no classes were scheduled) were to give time to study for MCAT, schedule preceptorship hours, schedule mock interviews, work on applications, or just "free" days for you to enjoy if you're all caught up. Those sections I think pertained to the MCAT prep courses- we were divided into 4 groups/sections, and groups 1-2 followed one blocked schedule and groups 3-4 followed the other blocked schedule. I hope that clears it up for you!

It's definitely doable, considering you won't be in MCAT prep or Intro to Biochem. But be sure to consider a scheduling conflict that can occur because the application workshops are usually in the mornings on random days- you won't know which days until orientation at the earliest. I would recommend a class after noon or in the evening to avoid that.

Hi! So they didn't really offer recommendations for housing, BUT they had a housing fair where some apt reps/realtors came out to pub their options. I scouted a few of the tables, and honestly they were pretty pricey ($900-1K or up for 1 BRs). I found a very helpful search engine that is geared towards UNTHSC folks: students.hsc.unt.edu/housing/wanted.cfm

It's a wanted ad where UNTHSC students are looking for a roommate or someone to sublease their place for either a summer or a year. Tons of options (close distance to campus) are added almost daily! Plus they are pretty cheap.

In regards to the preceptorship & summer schedule, Derrick Smith says that we are able to start the preceptorship now and get it out of the way before the summer term starts. He should be emailing current accepted students sometime this week with the details. He will also be sending us our summer schedule. So I would wait on getting that email before finding a PCP to shadow bc there are forms we have to send it to get it approved. Plus, the email is supposed to include a list of doctors to contact. Oh, and one FYI: you must acquire your 40 hours from the same doctor.

I hope this helps! :)

The MedSci program does have A&P at the graduate level.

Honestly I just want to take it to boost up my science GPA for this application cycle since there won't be that many grades from the MedSci program being computed into the application before interviews/offers are going to be extended :/

I second LTT's advice. You seem like you'd be able to handle the course load fine and it would have been helpful to have had some exposure to A&P before this semester.

It's the start of another week :) let's hope we will start seeing some more acceptances

Reactions: 4 users
I'd imagine so. Anatomy and Physiology both ended last week, should free up some more file reviewers if that has been a hold up for getting news out.

Hi! I think everyone covered everything from the event.. For those who were asking about housing, it is pretty pricey... I think the least expensive was about $900 for a 2 BR (that I personally saw) and it was at Riverstone. A few others that were in about a 5 mile radius included Cumberland (they have deals for UNTHSC students), the canyons, ridglea village, the lodge and viuex coulee. A friend from the program shared those with me... Also she said that there may be more with deals for UNTHSC students so to make sure you ask just in case when looking into them. Hope it helps you all. :)

So I just called and asked about the status of my application and I was told that my "application is JUST waiting on committee review" and that "it should be any time now".

Has anyone else gotten a response like this? And if so could they translate that into a tangible time frame? Haha

So I just called and asked about the status of my application and I was told that my "application is JUST waiting on committee review" and that "it should be any time now".

Has anyone else gotten a response like this? And if so could they translate that into a tangible time frame? Haha

When did you apply ?

Mine too...hope they will be going over our apps soon. Hope we will hear back this week. Kinda anxious.

Reactions: 2 users
Mine too. The operator I had wasn't as helpful. She was more like...."there are more acceptances coming out, but that's all I know" T_T

Check your portal, there should be an update. Mine is a bad news, I just don't get it. My stats and experience is par with the accepted folks. Guess they have certain criteria which are just unknown to anyone else. Apparently they don't like nurses I feel like, another nurse on here with good stats and experience got rejected. Anyways, good luck to everyone.

Check your portal, there should be an update. Mine is a bad news, I just don't get it. My stats and experience is par with the accepted folks. Guess they have certain criteria which are just unknown to anyone else. Apparently they don't like nurses I feel like, another nurse on here with good stats and experience got rejected. Anyways, good luck to everyone.
Sorry to hear that! No news for me though. :-/

Sorry to hear that! No news for me though. :-/

Thanks. This news came as a shock for me. I was kinda overconfident because of my Gpa and experience as a nurse for five and as a nursing instructor for one year. Guess it wasn't meant to be. But would really want to know what was the selection criteria, because my last 60 hr gpa is 3.7 and cgpa is 3.4. Anyways just have to accept it and move on with life.

Uh oh :( all quiet on my end though....
@RN2MD2014applicant did they send you an email or just a status change on the website?

@cyberchondriac @vd0917 it seems that the invitation for this week has already gone out today. We may have to wait another week

Last edited:
Hey all for all those posting about housing, I still have 2 rooms in a 3/2 house available that is about an 8 min drive from campus according to google maps

A link to the address https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...2!3m1!1s0x864e73a838f8742b:0xf019fc411a012055

A link to the zillow page for it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4908-Birchman-Ave-Fort-Worth-TX-76107/28952121_zpid/

The rent will be $575/ person and utilities run about 75-100 per month. For the location and price it's a great location and the house is already set witht he landlord, just need to add roommates. Dog friendly and quiet roommate here.

Like I said before I'm a current medsci that will be staying in the area working as an EMT

Lease starts June 1st but you can move in as early as May 15th and not pay rent until June 1st.

PM me if interested in the house or any other questions about the program!

Anyone with completion date of 3/13 hear back yet? :(

Hey quick question. Where in the portal did you go to see your marked app date?

When you long onto "MyUNT" on the left hand side there is a "Application Status" link... on your mobile device you might have to click the student student center option in the menu bar at the top left.. Either way they will direct you to your app status. If you are accepted/rejected I believe it says it at the top, if not it will say it has been received/is complete and the date is on the far right.

Last edited:
When you long onto "MyUNT" on the left hand side there is a "Application Status" link... on your mobile device you might have to click the student student center option in the menu bar at the top left.. Either way they will direct you to your app status. If you are accepted/rejected I believe it says it at the top, if not it will say it has been received/is complete.
Thank you for those instructions!

There's been like 10 new people added today to the Facebook page if anyone was wondering.

What was the first date of classes that they keep accepting people up until? I wrote it down but seem to have lost it.

What was the first date of classes that they keep accepting people up until? I wrote it down but seem to have lost it.

Don't know about that but Biostats is June 1 - August 7.

This is so grueling. I've been in limbo for four months waiting for this email. Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks. This news came as a shock for me. I was kinda overconfident because of my Gpa and experience as a nurse for five and as a nursing instructor for one year. Guess it wasn't meant to be. But would really want to know what was the selection criteria, because my last 60 hr gpa is 3.7 and cgpa is 3.4. Anyways just have to accept it and move on with life.
Oh by the way, they can do an application review with you in the summer!