UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all! I have a couple of questions about this program and thought I'd run them by you guys. First of all, I just want to say I wish I applied to this program over the last few years and hate that I didn't. I have a few friends who were enrolled but I never actually looked into myself (and if only I did, I'm sure it would've helped me). I just looked into the program and really hope I get accepted.

First a little about me. I graduated in May 2012 and have been applying to medical school for the last two cycles with no luck. I've been an ER scribe for 1.5 years. My stats: MCAT 27, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.6, non-science GPA 3.89.

1) I'm really tired of having all these gap years (currently on my third and I hate not being in school), so my question is: if I plan on applying to medical school again in May 2015, would this program benefit me even though it will have just started and my grades and everything won't show on my application? I'd just hate to forgo the application during the next cycle and then have to apply the May following the program and end up having another year off.

2) I've read that it's mandatory for all who have MCAT scores under 28 to retake the exam, however my question is, is there any leeway on that? I know my MCAT score is not the greatest at 27, but it took me three attempts to get that score (horrible, I know...I still don't know how I did so horrible the first two times around). I'd really rather not take the test again because I've already taken it three times, and I'm really not sure if I want to have a fourth attempt on my applications. Also, I last took my MCAT in 2012 so I haven't studied the material for over two years and am worried that I won't do too well since I've forgotten the basics, and I'm not sure how much the course will help me.

Anyway, I really want to be in this program. I miss being in school so much and I want to learn again. Also, I know this sounds silly, but I'm worried I forgot how to learn/study and I'm hoping this program will help me get back in the habit and prepare me for when I do eventually get into med school.

Hello, I am also currently a MedSci student. Earlier this year, when applying to this program, I sought out SDN for insight about my odds of being accepted and then going on to make it into medical school with my subpar stats. Here is my story for those of you who are looking for some hope...

My uGPA was a poor 2.97, my last 60 hrs was about 3.0ish, and a 26 MCAT. I have been out of school for 5 years (was a teacher), but was able to secure great LORs from employers, and had plenty of long-term volunteering and leadership roles. My stats were definitely below average, but I feel that they look at your whole application and assess your potential for success. Yes, a large part of that is determined by your numbers, but another part is your dedication to learning and motivation for a career in medicine. Make yourself stand out in your application and don't sell yourself short. Focus on the positives and/or tell how you were able to overcome the negatives and how that will benefit you in your journey through medicine.

I was put on the wait-list in April and didn't get pulled off until a few days before Orientation started at the end of May. The wait list moves verrrrry sloooowly as those accepted were being pulled off wait lists for medical school. There was even one student I knew who withdrew from the program after it started due to that reason. And almost everyone currently in the program is applying to medical school this cycle. There are some who are opting to wait until the next cycle, and there are some who just won't cut it with their grades- making C's is basically a no-no, and you need a 3.0 minimum to graduate.

Last week, TCOM offered me an interview. My current GPA is 3.34 with a 29 MCAT. Just average. But I feel that they are looking at your whole application. This program requires you to complete a 40-hr preceptorship (shadowing) with a primary care physician (a source of LOR), an MCAT prep course through Princeton if you scored below 28, and an application workshop. The workshops help you develop your PS, provides a panel of med school admissions officers for Q&A, and sets up mock interviews with feedback.

By no means am I saying that everyone with stats like mine will make it into the program. If you are in my shoes, just understand that it is a tough uphill battle (as many of my classmates can relate).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, publicly or privately. I will be on here more often during the winter break. I will add a separate post with more info about the program.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am adding info about the program, in no particular order, in hopes of answering any other questions.

-There are several students in this program pursuing Dental and PA studies.
-MCAT prep course is required if you scored below 28, BUT retaking the MCAT is purely your discretion. The course helped raise my score by 3 points. The most was 11 points that they know of.
-There is a technology fee. This year, it was $2000 for a Macbook Pro 13" and iPad mini w/ Retina. It might be different next year. BUT it is REQUIRED, even though you may already have them for personal use. Exams are taken on laptops. iPad mini, because it's part of the package. Included is a 1-yr warranty for each.
-Many of our professors also teach at TCOM, and they will tell you what TCOM students are learning if you ask. EDIT: One or two have mentioned that the rigor of our classes was similar to that at TCOM, granted there was less info to study or less time to study the same amount of info.
-Courses are rigorous. Be prepared to treat it like a full-time, 40hr-week job. Classes usually begin at 8am, and intermittent through the day, lasting up until 6pm once or twice a week. Class averages hover in the high 80s. If a class makes below an 85 as the final course grade, a curve is applied. There has been none so far. There are many students able to maintain a 4.0, but don't expect that of yourself if you are not used to making consistent As in undergrad. Try to maintain at least a 3.5 for better prospects, but there is no minimum that will guarantee and interview or acceptance into a medial school. Definitely make some As.
-Working is not advised. BUT it is doable, depending on how efficient you are with your time and studies.
-There is PLENTY of volunteering opportunities, BUT don't let that affect your academics.
-Major courses so far: SUMMER: 10wks Intro to Biochem (Pass/Fail, optional, semi-helpful for me), 10wks Biostats; FALL: 8wks(?) Biochem, 3wks Immuno, 3wks Micro, 16wks Histo, 16wks Epidem
-Future courses: Jan-Apr: Struct Anat, Physio; Apr-May: Pharmaco
-Preceptorship: 40hrs shadowing with a PCP is REQUIRED. Details aren't important right now, but you have until the beginning of Spring semester to complete the hours.
-I would say that my fellow classmates are VERY friendly and helpful! Most that I run into readily share info with me and help if I ask. The competition is pretty fierce, BUT they are also supportive. Lots of different personalities. I like!
-The atmosphere is open and supportive. Faculty and administration are VERY helpful- they try to help with you anything (and everything!). They want you to succeed, and I feel they emphasize for you to focus more on academics than extracurriculars. Be open with them and they will work with you. The reason they accepted you is because they feel you can do it, but they also know that external factors can influence whether or not you will actually succeed. In the same sense, they expect a lot from you, too.
-Students in the past have been accepted into MD schools in TX. Many get accepted into DO schools, either at TCOM or out of state. From what I've heard, this program is very well known across the nation. Some of my friends and relatives here in TX have heard about it.
-This program is NO GUARANTEE that you will get into a medical school. That all comes down to how badly you want it. Enough to make a high GPA? Enough to dedicate time for volunteering? Enough to prioritize your whole life to dedicate to academics? Enough to...??
-Your chances of being accepted into this program? Your guess is as good as mine. It partly depends how many students apply. Our class is around 190ish. I think there were 400+ applicants.
-Your chances of being accepted into medical school after doing well in this program? All I can really say is that it will be better than when you applied the first time and didn't get in.

EDIT:
-Don't get too caught up with stats and hearsay. I have been told that 100% of students who make at least a 3.5GPA will EVENTUALLY make it into a medical school...over the next several years, as there are students who make above 3.5 but don't get acceptances due to other circumstances. These stats are based on student feedback given at the end of the program. Keep in mind, there are students who don't apply during the cycle that they are in this program, some withdraw from the program, and some don't make good enough grades/MCAT scores (even after doing the prep course and retaking the MCAT, or not wanting to retake).
-There are tutoring sessions provided for our core courses, given by prior MedSci, current TCOM students.

I will add more as they come to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
WOW, LTT2014!! Thank you for sharing. I am preparing my application for this program, and I appreciate reading the firsthand account.

Hello, I was wondering if I would be competitive for the program. I have a 3.42 cGPA (I did really bad this past semester) and a 22 MCAT. I'm going to retake the MCAT but probably not until April or May since I want to make sure I do well. However, the application deadline is in early March so I was wondering if I would need to take the MCAT much earlier or if I could send in an updated score when I receive it? Thanks!

Hello, I was wondering if I would be competitive for the program. I have a 3.42 cGPA (I did really bad this past semester) and a 22 MCAT. I'm going to retake the MCAT but probably not until April or May since I want to make sure I do well. However, the application deadline is in early March so I was wondering if I would need to take the MCAT much earlier or if I could send in an updated score when I receive it? Thanks!

I think it really is a case by case basis. On the surface, your MCAT is on the low side but that in no way means you won't be competitive. Just make sure the rest of your application really conveys who you are and what your goals are.

Also, the first 2015 MCAT dates are in April I believe, so any earlier would have to be the old MCAT (January). My advice is don't even consider rushing the test. Only take it when you're ready.

Hi guys, I applied last year and got rejected and I plan on applying again this year I know that they are out of office right now during the winter break so I figured I would ask here in case anyone knows the answer.

Am I suppose to apply with a brand new application? I recall them holding most of our information and I was trying to log in to retrieve the application from last year but it would not work.

Hello, I wanted to ask you some questions about admissions and what you think about my chances for the UNT Medical Sciences program.

I applied last year to the program and did not get accepted. This year, I've decided to apply again. I submitted my application 2 days ago, 12/26/14. I called the admissions office and they are going to transfer my GRE scores (I am wanted to go to PA school )and LORs from last year since I am a re-applicant. I have also emailed one of my professors from my undergrad who will write me a new LOR. I told him I would like to have the LOR done by Jan. 12, 2015.

My current cumulative gpa is a 3.23 at Baylor University. I'm not sure if you are familiar with GRE scores but mine are Q - 148, V - 142, AW- 4.0. When I applied to the Medical Sciences program last year, my cGPA was a 3.01. During my senior year, I made a 4.0 during the fall semester and a 3.78 during my spring semester, which boosted my GPA to a 3.23. After graduation, I was offered a job as an ED scribe in Dallas and currently am working there now. I also took A&P I and A&P II (class not offered at Baylor during my time there) at a community college and made A's in both. I retook Microbiology at the same community college and made an A as well.

This cycle, I feel more confident in my grades and in my clinical experiences. I took the time to write and edit the essay questions and in my opinion, are 100 times better than what I wrote last year (I saved my responses from last year). Since I did not get in last year, I get nervous because I think I won't get accepted this upcoming year. What are your thoughts from the background description given? Also, do you know the stats of students who complete the program and get into the UNT PA program or PA programs in general?

Thank you for your time!

Hi guys, I applied last year and got rejected and I plan on applying again this year I know that they are out of office right now during the winter break so I figured I would ask here in case anyone knows the answer.

Am I suppose to apply with a brand new application? I recall them holding most of our information and I was trying to log in to retrieve the application from last year but it would not work.

Hi srsbiz,
I am a re-applicant as well and I called the admissions office. The woman who picked up was very helpful and told me that since I am a re-applicant, I can email the grad program with my name and birth date stating what I wanted to transfer from my application from last year to this years application. She informed me that you can transfer whatever you'd like to your new application as long as you send an email stating what you would like. I decided to transfer only my GRE scores and LORs. Other than that, I started a new application and sent in all my transcripts, one more LOR, new essay responses, and a $40 application fee. Hope this helps

Do we need to have taken upper level science classes to be competitive for entry into the program? Or will the basic pre reqs suffice? Because I am thinking about applying to UTD's post bacc program to complete my upper level classes but I'm not sure if this will be a waste of time if Med Sci will make me more competitive for med schools. Which classes does med sci like to see you have completed?

Do we need to have taken upper level science classes to be competitive for entry into the program? Or will the basic pre reqs suffice? Because I am thinking about applying to UTD's post bacc program to complete my upper level classes but I'm not sure if this will be a waste of time if Med Sci will make me more competitive for med schools. Which classes does med sci like to see you have completed?

Med Sci will make you more competitive for med schools than the UTD program. As far as having upper levels, i'm a current student and have met several non-science majors. That being said, I doubt they require any upper division courses. Just be sure your "most recent 60 hours" of course work are above a 3.5 and preferably a 3.7+ if you aren't a science/engineer major

Hello, I wanted to ask you some questions about admissions and what you think about my chances for the UNT Medical Sciences program.

I applied last year to the program and did not get accepted. This year, I've decided to apply again. I submitted my application 2 days ago, 12/26/14. I called the admissions office and they are going to transfer my GRE scores (I am wanted to go to PA school )and LORs from last year since I am a re-applicant. I have also emailed one of my professors from my undergrad who will write me a new LOR. I told him I would like to have the LOR done by Jan. 12, 2015.

My current cumulative gpa is a 3.23 at Baylor University. I'm not sure if you are familiar with GRE scores but mine are Q - 148, V - 142, AW- 4.0. When I applied to the Medical Sciences program last year, my cGPA was a 3.01. During my senior year, I made a 4.0 during the fall semester and a 3.78 during my spring semester, which boosted my GPA to a 3.23. After graduation, I was offered a job as an ED scribe in Dallas and currently am working there now. I also took A&P I and A&P II (class not offered at Baylor during my time there) at a community college and made A's in both. I retook Microbiology at the same community college and made an A as well.

This cycle, I feel more confident in my grades and in my clinical experiences. I took the time to write and edit the essay questions and in my opinion, are 100 times better than what I wrote last year (I saved my responses from last year). Since I did not get in last year, I get nervous because I think I won't get accepted this upcoming year. What are your thoughts from the background description given? Also, do you know the stats of students who complete the program and get into the UNT PA program or PA programs in general?

Thank you for your time!
What is your GPA from your most recent 60 hours of coursework? This is a very important criteria on which they evaluate applicants. I can't comment

Members don't see this ad :)
I just completed my application and I have a 3.4 GPA and an 18 MCAT. I know these are extremely awful, but do you think I even have a chance? When I called the office they said they have accepted individuals with lower than a 20. I tried to write in my essays what happened, but does anyone know if that is actually true and if there is a possibility of me being accepted.

If you called, and that was said... then I would take that and run with it. I highly doubt they would lie to you. No one on this forum can give you better information than info from the source.

I got a 29 MCAT (11V, 10B, 8PS), is that considered ok for the program? Low GPA (3.1)

What is your GPA from your most recent 60 hours of coursework? This is a very important criteria on which they evaluate applicants. I can't comment

closetgunner19,

Do they count plus signs in the GPA? I know some schools do and some don't. Also, when I added up my semester hours, I got 63 so I didn't know which class to no include to make it exactly last 60 hours

With plus system, last 63 hours GPA is: 3.32
Without plus system: last 63 hours GPA is 3.29
(I changed a B+ --> B and a C+ --> C)

Also, this GPA is the last 63 hours from only Baylor University. I took three 4 hour courses at a community college the summer after graduating Baylor and made an A in each of them.

If I include those 12 hours as part of my most recent 60 hours, I would have a 3.67 GPA.
Do they count the last 60 hours from your undergraduate school? Or just the most recent 60 hours in general?

Thanks for replying!

Last edited:
Hello! I'm very interested in applying to the MedSci program at UNT. I was wondering how many characters should our essay responses be?

Also, for those currently or formerly apart of the Med Sci program, can you talk about the financial aid package and tips for housing options (specifically studios/efficiencies) in Fort Worth, TX?

Hello! I am applying to the program, and I was wondering how much weight your graduate GPA holds during admissions. I'm sure uGPA will still be of greater importance, but do they place any significant consideration for a higher masters GPA? My uGPA is sub 3.0 with my last 60 credits around a 3.2-3.3. However, my grad GPA is a 3.92. Any insight would be great.Thanks!

By the way, thanks LTT2014 for sharing your experience! It as very inspiring, and I appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
closetgunner19,

Do they count plus signs in the GPA? I know some schools do and some don't. Also, when I added up my semester hours, I got 63 so I didn't know which class to no include to make it exactly last 60 hours

Also, this GPA is the last 63 hours from only Baylor University. I took three 4 hour courses at a community college the summer after graduating Baylor and made an A in each of them.

If I include those 12 hours as part of my most recent 60 hours, I would have a 3.67 GPA.
Do they count the last 60 hours from your undergraduate school? Or just the most recent 60 hours in general?

Thanks for replying!

They will look at your uGPA as well as the GPA from your most recent 60 hours, chronologically, including post-grad and grad courses. As long as either GPA is above 3.0, then you meet the minimum requirements for GPA. Although, I'm not certain how they calculate the GPA.

closetgunner19,

Thanks for replying!

They probably calculate it just like TMDSAS calculates it. A - or A+ = A = 4.0, any B = 3.0, etc.

The 60 hours is probably a rough estimate, im sure they will just look @ the 63 total hours.

Yes you would include the 12 from CC and the most recent 48 from Baylor to calculate the total 60. Were the 12 CC courses retakes? To be honest, if the ~3.3 GPA was from your upper division science courses at Baylor then that is not a good sign.

Also, for those currently or formerly apart of the Med Sci program, can you talk about the financial aid package and tips for housing options (specifically studios/efficiencies) in Fort Worth, TX?

Hey I'm a current MedSci. Your essays should answer the prompt first and foremost whether it takes half a page or 2 pages. For some essays I wrote an "intro + body + conclusion" style, and for others I just wrote a lengthy paragraph (describe your research). All in all, you should aim to answer the prompt sufficiently. The committee appears to dislike the "short" essays that were clearly done out of haste. I doubt any of them will consider an essay "too long" unless it's just ridiculous. Just stay on topic and tell them what they want to hear.

Everyone gets approved for a 20k loan for the year that is disbursed 1/3 in the summer, 1/3 in fall, 1/3 in spring. Other graduate loans are available but I can't provide any insight on those. There is cheap living in the near area, it won't be a major issue for you. Nothing compared to Austin or to the med centers in Dallas / Houston.

I just completed my application and I have a 3.4 GPA and an 18 MCAT. I know these are extremely awful, but do you think I even have a chance? When I called the office they said they have accepted individuals with lower than a 20. I tried to write in my essays what happened, but does anyone know if that is actually true and if there is a possibility of me being accepted.

18 on MCAT? was there a particular reason? If something happened at the testing center or another serious issue then I could see them taking that in to account. If your legitimate score was an 18 and your reasoning was "I wasn't prepared but now I'm more motivated" then that will be a tough pill for the committee to swallow. If your GPA was upwards of a 3.75+ then I could see them overlooking the 18. However, with a 3.4... there is really no evidence that you can perform @ the very demanding level of medsci and medical school. Don't mean to crush your dreams, just being realistic.

Hello! I'm very interested in applying to the MedSci program at UNT. I was wondering how many characters should our essay responses be?

There isn't a word/character count limit. For me, I made sure to keep it concise while still being able to convey my thoughts. Focus on stating your main point(s) and make sure to include specifics- don't just make vague comments, provide examples for support. Sounds like writing a PS... My responses ranged from 600 to 2200 characters with spaces. I answered every question, even though I didn't have "real" research (I researched and reproduced experiments as part of my psychology Experimental Designs class, then I gave them my opinions about doing research).

The last question, ...what you would like the committee to consider..., should be answered. This is the place for you to convince why they should accept you, if it hasn't already been stated anywhere else. OR, explain a negative aspect of your application and what you learned from it (and how it will help you succeed in the program, medical school, life, etc.)

My financial aid package only included student loans, and I was given enough to cover all school-related and living expenses- rounds out to about $20k for IS. I know OOS is more expensive, like $40k, but I don't know what the financial aid is like for OOS. I am an IS student, and only took out enough student loans to cover tuition and school-related expenses. My husband is supporting me while I'm in school (Yay!).

Sorry, I cannot comment on housing as I live at home.

@LTT2014 THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES! They are very helpful. Do you think it would be acceptable to use the last question to describe any unique (hardship) circumstances that contribute to my application (specifically GPA component)? Also, fortunately I have several extracurricular, clinical and research activities. Would it be wise to focus on one activity for each question, thereby including what I did and what I learned from the activity?

I'm also IS so I hope to just take out enough loans for tuition + school expenses.

@closetgunner19: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES! :) Do you think I could use a modified version of my PS to answer the career goal question? Also how specific and how long was your response for the "how do you plan to achieve your goals" question.

They probably calculate it just like TMDSAS calculates it. A - or A+ = A = 4.0, any B = 3.0, etc.

The 60 hours is probably a rough estimate, im sure they will just look @ the 63 total hours.

Yes you would include the 12 from CC and the most recent 48 from Baylor to calculate the total 60. Were the 12 CC courses retakes? To be honest, if the ~3.3 GPA was from your upper division science courses at Baylor then that is not a good sign.

A&P I and A&P II were not retakes, microbiology was. If the 12 from CC is included, I'd have a 3.67 GPA although one class was a retake. I know my grades aren't that great but I was hoping my extra curricular activities (medical mission trip, volunteer at a mission health clinic, pre-PA student associates group, sorority, tutor) and my clinical experience (ED scribe) would balance my application out? Again, this will be my second time applying and I have improved my senior year and have more experience this application cycle.

Well why I was studying for the MCAT my sister was diagnosed with a tumor on her thyroid so I was not able to focus. My gpa is pretty low also because during sophomore year my best friend died of cancer. I don't find it an excuse but it did affect me tremendously. Is this considered a good reason? Or should I just loose my dream of being a doctor because of my low score and gpa?

Well why I was studying for the MCAT my sister was diagnosed with a tumor on her thyroid so I was not able to focus. My gpa is pretty low also because during sophomore year my best friend died of cancer. I don't find it an excuse but it did affect me tremendously. Is this considered a good reason? Or should I just loose my dream of being a doctor because of my low score and gpa?

I think these are legitimate reasons, but I wouldn't frame your essay to display any blame. Instead, I would showcase resilience, growth and perseverance to still pursue your dream of becoming a doctor. You could probably also briefly display your hunger to succeed in this program and how you would accomplish it. I also want to use a unique (hardship) circumstance and this is the route I'm trying take. GOOD LUCK! :)

I think these are legitimate reasons, but I wouldn't frame your essay to display any blame. Instead, I would showcase resilience, growth and perseverance to still pursue your dream of becoming a doctor. You could probably also briefly display your hunger to succeed in this program and how you would accomplish it. I also want to use a unique (hardship) circumstance and this is the route I'm trying take. GOOD LUCK! :)

Thank you so much! I did do my essays exactly like this, hopefully they believe I will succeed in the program as much as I do! :)

@LTT2014 THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES! They are very helpful. Do you think it would be acceptable to use the last question to describe any unique (hardship) circumstances that contribute to my application (specifically GPA component)? Also, fortunately I have several extracurricular, clinical and research activities. Would it be wise to focus on one activity for each question, thereby including what I did and what I learned from the activity?

I'm also IS so I hope to just take out enough loans for tuition + school expenses.

Yes do this on the last question. The questions that asked me to describe my research / clinical: I focused on blandly describing what I did such as my duties and length of time I was involved. I subtly added in things I learned from these experiences and how they've motivated me (or strengthened my motivation).

My other advice is to just put everything in the essays you can. We've all had volunteer experiences where we did something ONCE on a random saturday afternoon, so avoid those, but if you were committed to something and spent ample time at it... RUN WITH IT!!

@@closetgunner19: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES! attachFull188321 Do you think I could use a modified version of my PS to answer the career goal question? Also how specific and how long was your response for the "how do you plan to achieve your goals" question.

- Yeah you can use a modified PS as long as it answers the prompt. PS calls for your "motivation to pursue a career".. the med sci prompt directly asks your career goal so keep this in mind.

My response for "how do you plan..." was fairly blunt and straight forward. I basically stated that I will attend medical school and that in order to do so I will improve my app by completing the med sci program and so on and so forth. I'll admit, I was much more bland and blunt on these med sci essays than I had been in my med school essays the prior app cycle. Really focused on just putting on paper and "answer" to their prompt (i viewed them as questions). For this essay I also followed the Intro/Body/Conclusion style.

edit: for "how do you plan..." I also went back to the career goal essay and was sure to touch up on any other career goals i listed. example: I talked about global healthcare in my career goal essay so in the following essay I was sure to talk about keeping global healthcare a focus of mine as I grow and enter my career.

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-8_17-25-51.png
    upload_2015-1-8_17-25-51.png
    95 bytes · Views: 111

Yes these are real reasons I suppose. I would be sure to avoid using these reasons as direct "reasons" or excuses, however I do believe you should make mention of them. Luckily, several people are accepted to med school every year with GPAs far below 3.4 (me) so its not like youre out of luck 100%. However hte MCAT needs to be your primary focus and concern. The more I think about it, i don't believe you need MedSci, I believe you need to raise your MCAT by about 12 points and you should have no problem getting some interviews and an acceptance.

good luck

A&P I and A&P II were not retakes, microbiology was. If the 12 from CC is included, I'd have a 3.67 GPA although one class was a retake. I know my grades aren't that great but I was hoping my extra curricular activities (medical mission trip, volunteer at a mission health clinic, pre-PA student associates group, sorority, tutor) and my clinical experience (ED scribe) would balance my application out? Again, this will be my second time applying and I have improved my senior year and have more experience this application cycle.

Youre grades aren't that bad honestly for PA and definitely not for MedSci. You have good ECs and I like the fact that you've improved your app since your last time (YOU NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS IN THE LAST OPTIONAL ESSAY OF THE APP). I'm not sure how competitive your GRE is b/c I know nothing about it, but the 3.67 on your prev60GPA is solid so I dont think you have too terribly much to worry about.

good luck

Youre grades aren't that bad honestly for PA and definitely not for MedSci. You have good ECs and I like the fact that you've improved your app since your last time (YOU NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS IN THE LAST OPTIONAL ESSAY OF THE APP). I'm not sure how competitive your GRE is b/c I know nothing about it, but the 3.67 on your prev60GPA is solid so I dont think you have too terribly much to worry about.

good luck

I definitely wrote about my improvement in the last optional essay. Thank you so much closetgunner19 for your time and advice! I really appreciate it!

No problem guys, keep your questions coming. It's a great program

Does it help if you write on your application that you know a current student in the program under how did you hear?

I can tell you that our MedSci class had people with your stats and slightly worse. I remember one person had a 19 MCAT and a GPA ~2.9 (due to a couple of F's and a few D's early on). That same guy finished the program w/ ~3.8 and has been in medical school for a few years now. So it can really vary based on the entire application, obviously the chance they took on that person paid-off. It doesn't cost that much to fill our the application, and the amount of essays are nothing compared to the amount you will write while apply to medical.

They will look at your uGPA as well as the GPA from your most recent 60 hours, chronologically, including post-grad and grad courses. As long as either GPA is above 3.0, then you meet the minimum requirements for GPA. Although, I'm not certain how they calculate the GPA.

Thank you for your response and input! :)

Do anyone know the stats of students who complete this program and get accepted into the UNT PA program or a PA program in general?

EDIT

So here's a pay-it-forward...

I have available at your request (inbox me) an edited rough draft of my essay questions for last year's application cycle only because I can't find my final draft, but the final draft wasn't much different than this version. If there is any possible way for you to identify me, please keep that to yourself- I would appreciate it. Be confident with your answers and let them know you're ready for this challenge (and why).

Keep in mind, these essays were accompanied with a uGPA of 2.97 (unsure of GPA for last 60 hours) and 26 MCAT, BA in Psych with a minor in Bio, two years working for an optometrist and one year with two DOs during undergrad, five years of teaching with three years of mentoring other teachers, consistent volunteering from early teens through first year of college (weekly, at my church), and some shadowing. I made a 4.0 in freshman year, and dropped to low 2.XX during sophomore and junior years, with some Ws, Ds and Fs. Took a break, and returned making high 3.XX while taking 16 hours for two semesters and graduated. During that last year, I had retaken several upper-level science courses. During the time I was applying to MedSci, I was retaking PhysII and API.

My academics aren't great, but I feel that I have great life experiences to balance it out. Have one or the other, but preferably both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think using an essay from TMDSAS in these prompts would be bad? I applied to TCOM, so I'm asking to be safe. To be specific, I want to use my secondary essay in the prompt describing my research experience. I would change it slightly, but I like my response to the secondary prompt well enough to keep most of it, and it fits well into the prompt regarding research. Thanks y'all.

Do you guys think using an essay from TMDSAS in these prompts would be bad? I applied to TCOM, so I'm asking to be safe. To be specific, I want to use my secondary essay in the prompt describing my research experience. I would change it slightly, but I like my response to the secondary prompt well enough to keep most of it, and it fits well into the prompt regarding research. Thanks y'all.

I don't think it is a problem as long as you are describing your research experience as the Med Sci prompt states. I plan to modify my collection of med school related short essays and use them to answer the Med Sci prompts accordingly. Best of luck! :)

Do anyone know the stats of students who complete this program and get accepted into the UNT PA program or a PA program in general?

There are only a few PA students that I know of. for the UNT program, a lot will weigh on how well you do in med sci because, why not? if the PA school has a chance to watch you perform at a high level prior to accepting you then they will do it. for the med school most people that interview get waitlisted so the school can just watch them perform. Hard to blame them...

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you answer the prompt accordingly.

good luck

Do they require an MCAT score? because by the time the deadline approaches I will not have my upper level pre reqs finished and will have no other option but to apply to utds post bacc

Do they require an MCAT score? because by the time the deadline approaches I will not have my upper level pre reqs finished and will have no other option but to apply to utds post bacc

Yes, they do require a MCAT score.