UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Statemed Yeah that method will work great. I actually didn't study nearly as much as I should have in undergrad so this is very different for me. What I do now is after Monday's set of lectures, I will review those, after Tuesday, I'll study Monday and Tuesday, after Wednesday, I'll study Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and so on. This really worked for me because by the time a test would come around I would have already seen the material so many times I wouldn't have to cram. You sound like you are already very disciplined so you should be fine.

Also as two pointers to everyone, first, if you are planning to buy a new laptop, don't. Wait until you figure out if you'll be attending this program since you are required to purchase one even if you own the same one. Secondly, don't make any plans for thanksgiving. Unless you are doing really well in immunology, histology, and epidemiology, I would highly recommend using those two or three days off to study for your last three exams. The last three exams are the week after thanksgiving (if the schedule stays the same).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
@closetgunner19 and @random123 Thank you for your input! I hope that you'll continue to enrich this forum with great info. I'll be asking more questions when I think of em. :D

Reactions: 1 user
@Statemed Yeah that method will work great. I actually didn't study nearly as much as I should have in undergrad so this is very different for me. What I do now is after Monday's set of lectures, I will review those, after Tuesday, I'll study Monday and Tuesday, after Wednesday, I'll study Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and so on. This really worked for me because by the time a test would come around I would have already seen the material so many times I wouldn't have to cram. You sound like you are already very disciplined so you should be fine.

Also as two pointers to everyone, first, if you are planning to buy a new laptop, don't. Wait until you figure out if you'll be attending this program since you are required to purchase one even if you own the same one. Secondly, don't make any plans for thanksgiving. Unless you are doing really well in immunology, histology, and epidemiology, I would highly recommend using those two or three days off to study for your last three exams. The last three exams are the week after thanksgiving (if the schedule stays the same).

Granted, I did medsci last year, I went home for that small break. I did have friends that stayed and some that had their family visit them. I remember that I wanted to stay since the winter break starts the week after or so, but ended up just missing my family so I left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah you really ask a lot of questions. Just relax, I'm a current student and I can tell you that there is no set-in-stone way in which they start handing out acceptances. Someone could get accepted tomorrow or the first day of orientation, its truly up to the committee and no one on this forum will be able to tell you what goes on behind closed doors. The applications, in my opinion, are not evaluated/accepted in order of submission: I applied 2 days before the deadline (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS) and got accepted one month later while some that applied in january got accepted the week of orientation. What I can tell you from a personal sit-down with the director of the program is that your GPA over your last 60 hours of college coursework, essays, and to some extent your MCAT are the three very important factors on your application. Letters of recommendation are a requirement but are unlikely to sway your application to an acceptance or denial.

For all of you: At this point, just get your application in so it's over with. Pay particular attention to the essays. Specifically, the essays about "why do you want this program", "career goals", and "additional information" can be your strongest tools to get you in. Also, be realistic with yourselves. Your most recent 60hrs. GPA should be a 3.5+ (the majority of applicants will have taken their upper division science courses in that span of 60 hours and your performance in those courses is basically a pre-determinant of your performance here).

This program is great, but it will not work miracles. I came to MedSci because my application lacked in one area, cGPA. In my case it is a perfect program because it addresses the major flaw of my app. I can also attest to the program's success...I was granted interviews at both TCOM and UTHSCSA and just matched to UTHSCSA on match day. That being said, I have also maintained a 4.0 here at MedSci and can tell you that this will probably be the most rigorous academic load you've ever experienced thus far (which is awesome in my opinion).

I'm all about transparency, these were my numbers applying to MedSci last year and got me a very quick acceptance (not trying to brag, simply putting the info out there for anyone it may help)

cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.7 (MedSci does not look @ this GPA, TMDSAS does though)
MCAT: 29 (B-11/PS-10/V-8)
GPA of most recent 60hr: 3.85
Degree: Biology
MedSci GPA: 4.0

Essays: I stayed very simple and focused ONLY on answering the prompt as if it were asked as a question. For the essays I mentioned above, I believe mine were about a page long and for the more trivial prompts (research/volunteering/clinical) I just wrote about a paragraph or two simply describing the aforementioned aspects of my career.

hope this helps, I'm here to answer any questions about MedSci that anyone has

Yeah I do ask a lot of questions because that's just who I am in life and I want an answer. And if people on this forum can't answer then I'll just call. I am relaxed btw.. I just like to stay on top of things. I know stuff can get overlooked. Hence me calling today to check my status and now they all of a sudden can't find my money order. So yes I'm a questioner. Thanks for your response and info though, very helpful.

@closetgunner19 and @random123 , thank you for that info! Very very helpful. I'm a bit of Type A person so having a semester calendar with dates of exams & classes is gold for me! Do exams for certain classes lean more towards one day? For ex. Histology is usually on a Wednesday. Also was your studying regimen different for summer term compared to fall or fall compared to spring term? Thanks again for your responses!

I'm very Type A as well, I HAVE to have a planner, and having dates of exams is great! Can you stream lectures later? If I'm accepted I plan to attend but is there a podcast? How does one get involved with research in this program? As far as shadowing, are you on your own in finding one to shadow or is there help with facilitation. I know, I know, my questions lolol

@closetgunner19 and @random123 , thank you for that info! Very very helpful. I'm a bit of Type A person so having a semester calendar with dates of exams & classes is gold for me! Do exams for certain classes lean more towards one day? For ex. Histology is usually on a Wednesday. Also was your studying regimen different for summer term compared to fall or fall compared to spring term? Thanks again for your responses!

They aren't on a certain day like you're saying but for some reason I feel like exams tend to be Thurs/Fri/Mon usually.

Summer will depend on if you're taking the MCAT. Without it, it's just biostats so it isn't too bad. Pop quizzes every once in awhile and then a few exams. With MCAT, you'll be in class (prep course) and you'll have to dedicate a lot of outside time.

Fall isn't terrible, classes are interesting and you finish each class in a month or so (besides histo, epi, and health disparities). Histology took the most studying for me but I probably crammed for that class way more than any other.

Spring has required the most studying for me but I also glad to do it because it's anatomy and physiology so it is extremely relevant. It isn't so much studying that it's unbearable or anything.

So to answer your question, I probably studied a little bit more each semester than the previous one.

I'm very Type A as well, I HAVE to have a planner, and having dates of exams is great! Can you stream lectures later? If I'm accepted I plan to attend but is there a podcast? How does one get involved with research in this program? As far as shadowing, are you on your own in finding one to shadow or is there help with facilitation. I know, I know, my questions lolol

They aren't available to stream later unless you record them -- same goes for podcast. Although, I feel like I remember people mentioning lectures from previous years are somewhere but I've never used them.

I'm not sure about research, you would probably be able to speak with a professor who is lecturing about that.

There is a list of doctors that have allowed students from the program to shadow them before that you will have access to but you will have to reach out to them on your own.

As someone who tried research, it's doable, but I think the thing people need to remember is that you're not there for research, you're there to get good grades (I ended up stepping down from my spot because I started out with a B in biostats). Not worth getting research experience if you get B's in your courses. As far as getting it, you just email profs who are doing research that you're interested in. It's a little harder since you're for sure going to be there for a year, but it's possible to help out a Phd student.

As far as the lectures, we had recorded lectures placed on iTunes for us. It was our year and the year prior to us, but it was mostly done by a group of students who took it upon themselves to record at the discretion of the professor.

As far as studying goes (granted I've made As and several 88s-89s), I usually spend time going over the PowerPoints to make sure I understand ALL the concepts on there and write my own notes and create my own study guides. Don't worry about bringing in your prior knowledge to help you figure things out because everything they give you is all you really need. Beside, it's too easy to overthink the questions if you do that, and that can happen a lot. There were podcasts posted on iTunes from prior years, but they seem to disappear and reappear often (???). I don't listen to them, and I rarely use resources that other students share because I learn better when I do my own notes and study guides.

I usually spend about 3-4 hrs per day studying during the week, 3-4 hrs total over the weekend, and more during the days leading up to exams. My calendar is filled from 6am to 11pm with every little task I have/want to do, and that's how I manage my time. I feel that time management and self-control/willpower are your best friends for this program because you're gonna have to study (and who really likes to study when they can hang out with their kick@$$ MedSci buddies?). I do enjoy sharing my knowledge with others, but generally only study with a very small group of friends. Honestly, I don't feel the competition very much as most students I've asked for help are happy to help me and many students share resources through our FB page.

In terms of applications, they do review applications in the order received, but that doesn't mean they offer acceptances in the same order. They may review your file and decide to put it aside because they haven't made a decision, move on the next files, and then eventually make their way back to yours. I received an email that I was on the waitlist, and then received a phone call when I got accepted, so be on the lookout for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay question of the day. I know graduate GPA is different and calculated separately but the science courses in this program such as biochemistry etc do they go towards your overall science gpa?

Hi,
I have been lurking this thread for awhile... I am also applying for Med Sci this year. The previous polls got me quite worried...
My stats at the moment are cGPA: 3.44, sGPA: 3.52 and MCAT (01/10/2015) 33. However, the average GPA for my junior and senior year is only 3.2. Do I have any chance of getting accepted into the program?

@mqt129, I think if you apply broadly and have good ECs you have a good chance in getting into medical school! However, I think this program will even further strengthen your application.

Hi,
I have been lurking this thread for awhile... I am also applying for Med Sci this year. The previous polls got me quite worried...
My stats at the moment are cGPA: 3.44, sGPA: 3.52 and MCAT (01/10/2015) 33. However, the average GPA for my junior and senior year is only 3.2. Do I have any chance of getting accepted into the program?
I think I remember your name from a pharm thread? You applying to both.

@prettyNURSEtoMD I like medicine but I was very worried about my stats (previous MCAT = 30), hence the back up plan... What got me really concerned is the previous posts saying that UNT SMP wants to accept ppl with 3.5+ on the last 60 credit hours.... can someone please confirm this?

Last edited:
Okay question of the day. I know graduate GPA is different and calculated separately but the science courses in this program such as biochemistry etc do they go towards your overall science gpa?

Not completely sure about this but on TMDSAS they do calculate an overall GPA with these classes added but I'm not sure what admission committees see. Maybe someone else will have a better answer

Hi,

A downward trend won't look good to the admissions committee but you have a very strong MCAT so that should help you out. If there is a reason for this trend try and address it in your essays and how you are now committed to improving (as shown through your MCAT).

Your cGPA is right around average and your MCAT is well above so in my opinion you have a decent shot at getting accepted, I'm not sure how strongly they weigh the last 60 hours when it is a downward trend. Hopefully everything works out, best of luck.

Biochemistry will be calculated into Overall GPA, Overall BCPM GPA, Graduate Total GPA, and Graduate BCPM GPA in TMDSAS. In AACOMAS: GR SCI, GR TOT, Overall SCI, and Overall TOT. Is this what you were asking? I didn't apply to AMCAS, so I can't comment there.

Hi,

Admissions will look at your overall GPA and last 60 hrs GPA. I believe the 3.5+ is just a reference point for a competitive applicant. I got in with barely 3.0 and 26 MCAT, so it's safe to say they are not looking at all numbers. I think you are a very competitive candidate just by your numbers alone (your numbers are competitive enough for medical school application, especially that 33), but make sure you still get good LORs and don't blow off your essays because they will be looking at all aspects of your application. Again, this is just my opinion. Several other students I study with were admitted with GPAs below 3.5 and similar MCAT scores to mine.

Last edited:
Hi,

I would advise you to skip MedSci and just apply to med school. You will have no problems getting 2-4 interviews which should get you in if you're an average/above average interviewer.

good luck

No questions. Just wanna say heyyy. Lol. At least I know they finally have all my documents. Transcripts, LORs and CV. They did say they are "still a few weeks behind" on processing applications. Hope everyone is well.

For current students: does this program match you up with doctors for shadowing? I find that getting shadow opportunity is extremely hard due to HIPPAA. You pretty much have to do cold-calling. Also, since the class size is big (200 students), what are the chances of asking for LOR? One of the reasons I decide to apply was to get good rec letters as well as the chance for shadowing (I only have ~ 130 hrs so far and hope to increase that number)
@closetgunner19 @LTT2014 If you are currently doing / have gone through the application process, please share your experience. According to TMDSAS, the average GPA of matriculants for 2014 is 3.7, and for applicants are 3.56. I am dead worried since I'm non-URM and hoping for MD (I have no problem with DO school, simply just my preference due to several other factors).

Last edited:
For current students: does this program match you up with doctors for shadowing? I find that getting shadow opportunity is extremely hard due to HIPPAA. You pretty much have to do cold-calling. Also, since the class size is big (200 students), what are the chances of asking for LOR? One of the reasons I decide to apply was to get good rec letters as well as the chance for shadowing (I only have ~ 130 hrs so far and hope to increase that number)
@closetgunner19 @LTT2014 If you are currently doing / have gone through the application process, please share your experience. According to TMDSAS, the average GPA of matriculants for 2014 is 3.7, and for applicants are 3.56. I am dead worried since I'm non-URM and hoping for MD (I have no problem with DO school, simply just my preference due to several other factors).

There is a list of doctors that students from this program have shadowed before but you will have to call them and arrange the shadowing.

You actually get broken into smaller advising groups with a faculty member of about 40 students and it would be easier to ask them for a letter. Professors you would have to reach out to on your own to get a letter.

@mqt129 Since you will be in the program, you can tell them that you are a MedSci student at UNTHSC and looking for a preceptor. Since the physicians are on the list, they have had students in the past shadow them and will be more apt to agree to your request. If it is difficult for you to find a physician (TCOM students also use the same list for their needs), the faculty will help you find one. You have from the moment you are accepted into the program until the first day of Spring courses to complete your 40-hr shadowing, so it can definitely be done even before Summer course begin.

I've requested a LOR from the professor who mock interviewed me. Your mock interviewer will most likely be a MedSci professor (who also teach TCOM) so they can answer your questions about TCOM and/or the app process. You'll be surprised who's on adcom or interview committee for TCOM! I have secured 4 LORs and all of them have been willing and spent time meeting with me to compose their letters. They all wanted to be able to highlight my best abilities and know what adcoms look for in those letters.

If you scroll back far enough, I have posted my experience up until I received my interview with TCOM in Jan. I will update once I know if I get accepted (waitlisted). As far as I know, MedSci students have been accepted to UTSW, El Paso, San Antonio, and A&M in the past. Do well in MedSci and make over 30 on MCAT (or the equiv for the new MCAT) and you'll have a shot at it.

Anyone who has sent their test score please let me know how to forward my MCAT from the MCAT THx system directly to UNT? The only option I saw on there was to send to TMDSAS. Thanks in advance.

@LTT2014 Best of luck on your app.

Anyone who has sent their test score please let me know how to forward my MCAT from the MCAT THx system directly to UNT? The only option I saw on there was to send to TMDSAS. Thanks in advance.

@LTT2014 Best of luck on your app.

Thank you @mqt129 !

You can take a screenshot of your score report and email it to UNTHSC at [email protected] or print and snail mail it to them. Make sure to note that it's for your GSBS MedSci application because the email is used for various inquiries.

A little late this year on applying.. but just submitted my application today! This thread was a ton of help and a special thanks to @LTT2014 for the all advice and help!

I'm a white male w/ lower #'s than the TMDSAS averages (and lower #'s than you), I interviewed @ TCOM and UTHSCSA this cycle and matched to UTHSCSA. With your numbers I would not be worried about the app process, you will get MD interviews if the rest of your app is just average with all the boxes checked (some volunteering, no criminal record, fairly good essays, etc.). I met with our program director during the first week of school and she agreed to write me a letter of rec.

As a med sci you are required to complete 40 hours of shadowing with a physician in primary care (general internal med, pediatrics, family medicine, geriatrics). I honestly wouldn't put too much stock in to shadowing, it's really a meaningless "activity" and admission committees don't weigh it too heavily to tell you the truth. If you want to shadow for your own pleasure then do so, but shadowing can mean anything from actively participating in patient care or just sitting in the corner with your mouth shut and watching a doctor write scripts for sick kids. If you have any other questions about applying via TMDSAS feel free to pm me, i'm happy to help.

good luck

PS - trust me, do not give yourself a headache by trying to increase shadowing hrs. Instead, gain actual clinical experience. Work at a clinic of any kind, volunteer at one, do anything other than shadowing because shadowing just comes across as the bare minimum and usually indicates that you got to go watch a doctor whom you know via family or friends. Try to nail down a long-term commitment type of clinical experience. It will go a long way.

A little late this year on applying.. but just submitted my application today! This thread was a ton of help and a special thanks to @LTT2014 for the all advice and help!

You aren't late on applying! I applied mid-march last year and got accepted. You're fine on time, don't worry about it. Acceptances probably won't start going out until the deadline passes (at least that seemed to be the case last year).

good luck

No questions. Just wanna say heyyy. Lol. At least I know they finally have all my documents. Transcripts, LORs and CV. They did say they are "still a few weeks behind" on processing applications. Hope everyone is well.

They definitely don't get in a hurry w/ the app process. I'd say this university is actually quite punctual with everything except this particular app process haha, don't let it act as a foreshadowing of what's to come they are very "on top of things" here.

good luck

@closetgunner19 Thank you for sharing, and congrats on your acceptance :X3::naughty::smuggrin::soexcited::hardy::highfive: . Are there any activities that you would recommend? I consider scribing but that is simply too much work (especially if I plan to do UNT SMP). Most other "clinical" activities available for us pre-med are: volunteer (pushing sick people around/ deliver flower) and shadow.

Last edited:
@closetgunner19 Thank you for sharing, and congrats on your acceptance :X3::naughty::smuggrin::soexcited::hardy::highfive: . Are there any activities that you would recommend? I consider scribing but that is simply too much work (especially if I plan to do UNT SMP). Most other "clinical" activities available for us pre-med are: volunteer (pushing sick people around/ deliver flower) and shadow.

well if you do MedSci, there are plenty of opportunities through the program and you're right, scribing wouldn't really be an option.
If you don't do MedSci then start doing some grunt work. Get a job at a clinic, do EMT training, work as a scribe or an ER tech.

If you're in FW/Arlington area, Mission Arlington has a free medical clinic that you can volunteer and they allow you to get some hands on with patients. There is a dental clinic too, but I'm not sure how it works. There is no time commitment, so you go when you can. Be assertive- learn to take vitals if you haven't already, and ask the volunteering physicians and PAs how you can help in the exam room. There are 3rd/4th yr TCOM students that volunteer and some are very nice about answering your questions. Or Google clinics like this for ones closer to your area.

I have a question if this thread is still active.

1. Recently I've considered an SMP here being a Texan resident and would like to know when to take the MCAT? The problem is taking the MCAT and having it expire by the time you apply.

Hypothetically if I took the MCAT this year I would have 2015, 2016, and 2017 cycle to apply and get accepted but I heard that it's before matriculation (when medical school classes start). So if I did the SMP next year (2016) I'd start in May then end in May (2017) then I apply for medical school in 2017 and hope to be accepted by 2018 but that's when I matriculate IF I get accepted that is. I don't want to take the MCAT again basically and I heard that UTNHSC encourages you to apply to medical school while you do the SMP. But that's never a good idea considering you are already a applicant with a low GPA and if I want to get into UT Southwestern or a TX MD school, I don't assume they'll look too favorably on you having no patience to do the gap year. What do you think I should do?

@DatBass: there was a thread on here regarding whether or not one should apply during/after SMP (I can't recall), but basically, the answer depends on your GPA, MCAT and the GPA trend. If memories serve me right, I think around 3.5 or 3.6 with upward trend, SMP is more like an "EC" and that you can applying while doing the program. For UT Southwestern, someone (non-URM) on here has been accepted with Lizzy M ~ 69, which is quite rare. But then again, he did it after doing UNT SMP.

A friend has told me a Lizzy M ~ 68 - 69 (with all other boxes checked) = guaranteed interview for UTSW. Can someone here verify the info?

@DatBass: there was a thread on here regarding whether or not one should apply during/after SMP (I can't recall), but basically, the answer depends on your GPA, MCAT and the GPA trend. If memories serve me right, I think around 3.5 or 3.6 with upward trend, SMP is more like an "EC" and that you can applying while doing the program. For UT Southwestern, someone (non-URM) on here has been accepted with Lizzy M ~ 69, which is quite rare. But then again, he did it after doing UNT SMP.

A friend has told me a Lizzy M ~ 68 - 69 (with all other boxes checked) = guaranteed interview for UTSW. Can someone here verify the info?

There is no such thing as a guaranteed interview at any school under any "LizzyM" criteria, ESPECIALLY UTSW. If you asked an adcom member about a "lizzyM" they would probably laugh at you lol..

For current/past MedSci students: Did you complete FAFSA before or after your acceptance into the program?

I would do it before that way it's already calculated. That's how I do all of my schools so there isn't a delay

hi.

i applied to this program last year and was accepted. however, i ended up declining the offer because of a work opportunity. i was planning on applying again this year. does anyone know how they view reapplicants? im sure they start with a blank slate, just curious.

I applied to mast TX medschools this cycle but did not get an acceptance, although interviewed at 3 and waitlisted at 2 places. 3.68 GPA, 33MCAT.
Hope this program could compensate for my lower GPA, for next year.
My questions: 1. Does any of the the classes taken during SMP will get credited toward the MD/DO program by any other school?
2. What job opportunities you have with this Master Program, just in case not matriculated next year??

I applied to mast TX medschools this cycle but did not get an acceptance, although interviewed at 3 and waitlisted at 2 places. 3.68 GPA, 33MCAT.
Hope this program could compensate for my lower GPA, for next year.
My questions: 1. Does any of the the classes taken during SMP will get credited toward the MD/DO program by any other school?
2. What job opportunities you have with this Master Program, just in case not matriculated next year??

None of the classes count towards medical school. What they are is an opportunity to see what Medschool classes are like. As for jobs after the program not many. You can transfer into the CRM track do research, you can add an additional year and receive a specialized anatomy training, you may possibly teach at a community college. You will have interactions with a lot of world class facility and with that comes an opportunity to be involved in research,and possibly move into the public health department, or stay a part of GSBS. While in the program you can talk with a lot of different departments that can help. What you should do it study hard, make good grades, and realize that with your stats and this program you should have no trouble getting admitted.

hi.

i applied to this program last year and was accepted. however, i ended up declining the offer because of a work opportunity. i was planning on applying again this year. does anyone know how they view reapplicants? im sure they start with a blank slate, just curious.

They will look at your last year's application and will want to know what changed over the last year. They'll compare the two to see if your application improved. If it has, I don't see why they wouldn't extend another offer to you.

@TexasPro I find it very interesting that someone with your stat did not match anywhere. If you are ok with sharing, do you have any inkling of what might have happened? (This will be great learning opportunity for us all.)

For current/past students: I am curious as to which campus we ll be at. Is it the one in Denton or the one in Dallas?

@TexasPro I find it very interesting that someone with your stat did not match anywhere. If you are ok with sharing, do you have any inkling of what might have happened? (This will be great learning opportunity for us all.)

For current/past students: I am curious as to which campus we ll be at. Is it the one in Denton or the one in Dallas?
UNTHSC in Fort Worth

Hi all, This is a great thread here I was looking for some guidance.
So, I just got back my MCAT score and even after all the hard work I scored a 22, I was sad and devastated but I am trying to pick up the pieces.
I have known about this program for quite some time and was wondering, if I will be able to get in I have 3.5cGPA, 3.23sGPA, high level of involvement, 4yrs of research(2 publications), have backstory. I am planning to apply here, and to a couple of other similar programs but was going to take a shot and apply to some DO schools in state and out of state schools, and to the Texas MD schools. Any advice? suggestions?

For current Med Sci students:

Can you give me a break down of the dates that you started/finished each semester? Such as when the summer 2014 classes started and ended, when the fall 2014 classes started and ended, and when the spring 2015 classes started and ended

My family is planning a family trip this summer because my brother is coming home to visit from duty. I want to have an idea of when classes will start/end so I can plan ahead in case I do get accepted. I wouldn't want to book the trip during class time. I would really appreciate this! Thanks