UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@TexasPro I find it very interesting that someone with your stat did not match anywhere. If you are ok with sharing, do you have any inkling of what might have happened? (This will be great learning opportunity for us all.)

For current/past students: I am curious as to which campus we ll be at. Is it the one in Denton or the one in Dallas?
I was intervirewed at UTH, A &M and Baylor, not sure what went wrong, I thought the interviews went pretty well. I applied late (July) that could be a reason. I didn't get Interview Invite from the lower ranked schools Ilike ElPaso &Lubbock. UTMB and San Antonio aslo didn't give me an II, probably because of my lower GPA and applying late. I didn;t completed my application to to TCOM thinking that I will get somewhere else for an MD program.

My question: Do you think if I take some classes from a Community college and that could improve my uGPA? Will it help?? I am trying to weigh between spending a whole yeatrin Dallas for the SMP Vs doing some research and tking some other classes to improve my GPA, while staying home and work on my application next cycle. any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

For current Med Sci students:

Can you give me a break down of the dates that you started/finished each semester? Such as when the summer 2014 classes started and ended, when the fall 2014 classes started and ended, and when the spring 2015 classes started and ended

My family is planning a family trip this summer because my brother is coming home to visit from duty. I want to have an idea of when classes will start/end so I can plan ahead in case I do get accepted. I wouldn't want to book the trip during class time. I would really appreciate this! Thanks

This is for 2015

New Student Orientation: May 27-29
First Day of Class: June 1
Last Day of Class: August 7

http://catalog.unthsc.edu/content.php?catoid=2&navoid=132#Important_Class_Days

Hi all, This is a great thread here I was looking for some guidance.
So, I just got back my MCAT score and even after all the hard work I scored a 22, I was sad and devastated but I am trying to pick up the pieces.
I have known about this program for quite some time and was wondering, if I will be able to get in I have 3.5cGPA, 3.23sGPA, high level of involvement, 4yrs of research(2 publications), have backstory. I am planning to apply here, and to a couple of other similar programs but was going to take a shot and apply to some DO schools in state and out of state schools, and to the Texas MD schools. Any advice? suggestions?
I think you have a shot, MCAT is lower than average but it is just an average so there are some scores lower. Write well thought out essays and hopefully everything will work out. With this program and with an improved MCAT score you should have a good chance at getting in somewhere. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was intervirewed at UTH, A &M and Baylor, not sure what went wrong, I thought the interviews went pretty well. I applied late (July) that could be a reason. I didn't get Interview Invite from the lower ranked schools Ilike ElPaso &Lubbock. UTMB and San Antonio aslo didn't give me an II, probably because of my lower GPA and applying late. I didn;t completed my application to to TCOM thinking that I will get somewhere else for an MD program.

My question: Do you think if I take some classes from a Community college and that could improve my uGPA? Will it help?? I am trying to weigh between spending a whole yeatrin Dallas for the SMP Vs doing some research and tking some other classes to improve my GPA, while staying home and work on my application next cycle. any thoughts??
You have very solid stats so this makes me think maybe it had something to do with the interview? (Just an assumption). Did you do any mock interviews prior to your actual interviews?

Your GPA is already pretty solid so I'm not sure how much community college would help. This program would definitely boost your application but as you said yourself, I'm not sure how worthwhile it is for you. Maybe look into becoming a scribe?

If you do apply though I'm sure you have a very high likelihood of getting into the program.

Can you give me a break down of the dates that you started/finished each semester? Such as when the summer 2014 classes started and ended, when the fall 2014 classes started and ended, and when the spring 2015 classes started and ended

My family is planning a family trip this summer because my brother is coming home to visit from duty. I want to have an idea of when classes will start/end so I can plan ahead in case I do get accepted. I wouldn't want to book the trip during class time. I would really appreciate this! Thanks
Summer 2014: 5/22 (beginning of orientation) - 8/1 (this last number can vary based on if you're retaking the MCAT)

Fall 2014: 8/18-12/5

Spring 2014: 1/12-5/8

You have very solid stats so this makes me think maybe it had something to do with the interview? (Just an assumption). Did you do any mock interviews prior to your actual interviews?

Your GPA is already pretty solid so I'm not sure how much community college would help. This program would definitely boost your application but as you said yourself, I'm not sure how worthwhile it is for you. Maybe look into becoming a scribe?

If you do apply though I'm sure you have a very high likelihood of getting into the program.
Thanks for the reply. My current year GPA is higher than previous years and I expect to graduate this year with a 3.72. I am currently looking for some Research Opportinity at my Home town (Houston) , and then came to know about this course. Not sure it is worth spending about $20K and my 1 year of hardwork, or should I focus on my application, do some research and boost my EC. Anyone know of any post bacc program in Houston??

sorry, I didn't answer your question>
yes i did attend a couple of mock interviiews. I rate my A&M interview was excellent but the Baylor one wan't . Thanks for the suggestion to become a scribe. Do you know more details on how to ? I will do some search as well. thanks again

@TexasPro I have friends who were able to become scribes through Scribe America. Also, I called UNT for my weekly update, lol they still say " We are in the middle of January processing applications, so it'll be a while before we get to yours". I turned my fee in on the 4th, but it got "lost", so they finally received it on the 11th. That increased the time before they get to mine. Seriously, January has the biggest "middle" I've ever seen. Haha, I also asked how long the open house was tomorrow, and Jan told me it lasts until noon.

@TexasPro I have friends who were able to become scribes through Scribe America. Also, I called UNT for my weekly update, lol they still say " We are in the middle of January processing applications, so it'll be a while before we get to yours". I turned my fee in on the 4th, but it got "lost", so they finally received it on the 11th. That increased the time before they get to mine. Seriously, January has the biggest "middle" I've ever seen. Haha, I also asked how long the open house was tomorrow, and Jan told me it lasts until noon.
I am thinking of probably not taking the SMP this time....I will stay with my 3.72GPA and 33 MCAT and will give it another try by working on applying ON TIME and improving my EC by doing some research etc... I'm also planning to find a job, either Scribe or a Pharma Tech. Scribe may be more suitable for a premed but I think it is difficult to find a quick job, in Houston, as compared to Pharma tech. I am planning to take the exam, get certified, and start a job, before I apply (Mid May) so I ca show in my application that I am working. Currently I do not have any (paid) work experience. Anyone has any suggestions where I can improve my application?

Hey guys, I've been looking through this thread for some time now. Just wanted to give you all my hello and to say thanks to the current/previous students of this program for sharing some quality info.

Currently, I submitted everything required for the application a little over two weeks ago and had that confirmed from Carla Lee Johnson through email. I don't know if I should go further and call to confirm also..
Still haven't received the MyHSC PIN yet, anyone else in the same boat? This whole waiting game has gotten me a lil anxious, I guess.

Yeah, I believe a lot of people on this forum haven't received their pin, but I know a few who said they waited around a month

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I had everything sent in and submitted by around January the 3rd, but there was an issue with a transcript from my community college so I resent that about two weeks ago and finally my app was marked as completed yesterday. Does anybody think that will really hold back my chance of getting in? I've got a 3.5 cGPA and a 25 MCAT.

Also, can any current students give any input on the possibility of having a job while in the master's program? I've been working as an EMT for the past 3 years to help support myself during college. Since I'll probably be going mostly off of loans if I get in, I'll need an income of some sort. I'm thinking of tech jobs or working as a scribe somewhere.

There's sort of a medical emergency in my family right now so I couldn't make open house today. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I had everything sent in and submitted by around January the 3rd, but there was an issue with a transcript from my community college so I resent that about two weeks ago and finally my app was marked as completed yesterday. Does anybody think that will really hold back my chance of getting in? I've got a 3.5 cGPA and a 25 MCAT.

Also, can any current students give any input on the possibility of having a job while in the master's program? I've been working as an EMT for the past 3 years to help support myself during college. Since I'll probably be going mostly off of loans if I get in, I'll need an income of some sort. I'm thinking of tech jobs or working as a scribe somewhere.

There's sort of a medical emergency in my family right now so I couldn't make open house today. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hey i'm a current med sci by the way,

I think your numbers are about average for acceptance, what is also very important is your GPA over your last 60 hours of coursework. Without this info i cant really comment on your chances of acceptance, however your MCAT/cGPA do not raise any red flags, but for med school (and im sure youre aware) you will want to bump up the MCAT just a bit.

As far as having a job, it will be quite difficult in the fall/spring semesters. If anything you may be able to work weekends but the workload is pretty heavy so don't count on any full-time commitments.

Here to answer any questions, good luck.

Hey guys, I've been looking through this thread for some time now. Just wanted to give you all my hello and to say thanks to the current/previous students of this program for sharing some quality info.

Currently, I submitted everything required for the application a little over two weeks ago and had that confirmed from Carla Lee Johnson through email. I don't know if I should go further and call to confirm also..
Still haven't received the MyHSC PIN yet, anyone else in the same boat? This whole waiting game has gotten me a lil anxious, I guess.

Carla is a good source of confirmation, you won't be able to get ahold of anyone "higher up" than she.

I am thinking of probably not taking the SMP this time....I will stay with my 3.72GPA and 33 MCAT and will give it another try by working on applying ON TIME and improving my EC by doing some research etc... I'm also planning to find a job, either Scribe or a Pharma Tech. Scribe may be more suitable for a premed but I think it is difficult to find a quick job, in Houston, as compared to Pharma tech. I am planning to take the exam, get certified, and start a job, before I apply (Mid May) so I ca show in my application that I am working. Currently I do not have any (paid) work experience. Anyone has any suggestions where I can improve my application?
Yes, work as a tech @ a clinic of any kind (primary care, cardiology, ophthalmology [tons of positions @ ophthalmology practices!], anything except cosmetics) Honestly just find a group of docs close to where you live and apply to be a technician of any kind. Be honest with them, tell them your plans are to go to med school and that you have a bachelor's. Working as a tech in any field is great experience and will definitely open your eyes to what medicine really is because at this point you have no clue. Med schools love someone w/ real experience as opposed to shadowing or random volunteer activities.

I also want to reassure you that w/ your stats, MedSci is not what you need. You need some solid experience and be able to interview well. There is no reason you wont get an acceptance w/ the stats you've listed, dont panic.

you dont need to improve your uGPA. Email the schools and ask why you werent accepted, and ask what you can do to improve your app b/c you really want to attend their school.

Summer: Orientation was 5/18 i think and ended 7/14
Fall: started 8/18 and ended 5/12
Spring: started 1/12 and will end 5/16

hi.

i applied to this program last year and was accepted. however, i ended up declining the offer because of a work opportunity. i was planning on applying again this year. does anyone know how they view reapplicants? im sure they start with a blank slate, just curious.

This is questionable, no one on this forum is going to be able to give you a very accurate answer unless they are part of the AdCom...

Hi all, This is a great thread here I was looking for some guidance.
So, I just got back my MCAT score and even after all the hard work I scored a 22, I was sad and devastated but I am trying to pick up the pieces.
I have known about this program for quite some time and was wondering, if I will be able to get in I have 3.5cGPA, 3.23sGPA, high level of involvement, 4yrs of research(2 publications), have backstory. I am planning to apply here, and to a couple of other similar programs but was going to take a shot and apply to some DO schools in state and out of state schools, and to the Texas MD schools. Any advice? suggestions?

What is your GPA over the last 60 hours of coursework? if you've read this forum you would know that that is a criteria on which they evaluate applicants, NOT sGPA. the 22 is definitely a red flag, but students have been accepted w/ that MCAT score so its not impossible. I wouldn't waste your time/money applying to the Texas MD schools, they will look over you during screening purely b/c of your MCAT score (not that MCAT means everything, but its just the truth). the 3.5cGPA is @ or above average for MedSci, but the 3.23 sGPA will also be quite low when it comes to applying via TMDSAS. Your research background is pretty solid though and may help you out.

My advice is to apply to MedSci this cycle or next (already approaching the deadline) and try to get a 4.0 while you're here because a 3.23 sGPA doesn't exactly display that you can kick ass in upper division science courses but a 4.0 GPA at MedSci sure would.

good luck

Hey i'm a current med sci by the way,

I think your numbers are about average for acceptance, what is also very important is your GPA over your last 60 hours of coursework. Without this info i cant really comment on your chances of acceptance, however your MCAT/cGPA do not raise any red flags, but for med school (and im sure youre aware) you will want to bump up the MCAT just a bit.

As far as having a job, it will be quite difficult in the fall/spring semesters. If anything you may be able to work weekends but the workload is pretty heavy so don't count on any full-time commitments.

Here to answer any questions, good luck.

Thank you for the reply! Started college with a 2.8 and every semester I've gone up aside from last semester, which was only a 3.6 (but that was because I took 19 hours). Hopefully that won't count against me too much. There's definitely been a consistent and gradual improvement in my last 60 hours though.

I plan on applying broadly to a bunch of DO programs this cycle as well as retaking the mcat, which is where the course offered through the med sci program will be really beneficial.

I've found a pretty good balance between work and classes for the past three years. Don't plan on anything full time, just being able to work over the weekends will help a lot I think. I've got enough in savings to not have to be working 40+ hours a week.

Two more questions for you: Do you think this program will be beneficial for me at all? Several of my classmates who did not get in this cycle are taking their gap year to work and save up money while reapplying. Kind of like what you were saying, my MCAT score has been the biggest thing that's held me back. So even if I did well in the classes, would the increase in GPA change anything at all? Lastly, where should I begin looking for housing in Ft. Worth? I didn't realize how quickly May was coming up. If I find out that I get in I'll need to find housing as soon as possible.

Thank you for the reply! Started college with a 2.8 and every semester I've gone up aside from last semester, which was only a 3.6 (but that was because I took 19 hours). Hopefully that won't count against me too much. There's definitely been a consistent and gradual improvement in my last 60 hours though.

I plan on applying broadly to a bunch of DO programs this cycle as well as retaking the mcat, which is where the course offered through the med sci program will be really beneficial.

I've found a pretty good balance between work and classes for the past three years. Don't plan on anything full time, just being able to work over the weekends will help a lot I think. I've got enough in savings to not have to be working 40+ hours a week.

Two more questions for you: Do you think this program will be beneficial for me at all? Several of my classmates who did not get in this cycle are taking their gap year to work and save up money while reapplying. Kind of like what you were saying, my MCAT score has been the biggest thing that's held me back. So even if I did well in the classes, would the increase in GPA change anything at all? Lastly, where should I begin looking for housing in Ft. Worth? I didn't realize how quickly May was coming up. If I find out that I get in I'll need to find housing as soon as possible.

Would you say your GPA over the most recent 60 hours is a 3.6+?

Yeah this program will definitely be beneficial, I too had a terrible start but an upward trend in undergrad. The trend looks good on both medsci/med school applications so thats working in your favor. Take advantage of the MCAT course and really do as well as you can.

this program will increase your "Overall science GPA" and also add a new category of "Graduate GPA" to your application, so you can potentially apply to med school w/ a 4.0 graduate gpa and an improved overall sGPA, both very beneficial to your app.

There are plenty of options for housing. If accepted, you'll join a facebook group for your class and many people find roomates on that for apartments or houses. You can also rent a 1BR apartment for yourself. Dont let housing bother you too much, I got accepted in April last year and just took a trip to FW (idk how far away you live or if this is an option) and spent all day saturday looking at apartments. Again, this isn't something to worry about until you're in because there are tons of places nearby. When the time comes, you can just google-map UNTHSC campus, then search "apartments" and see whats nearby.

Would you say your GPA over the most recent 60 hours is a 3.6+?

Yeah this program will definitely be beneficial, I too had a terrible start but an upward trend in undergrad. The trend looks good on both medsci/med school applications so thats working in your favor. Take advantage of the MCAT course and really do as well as you can.

this program will increase your "Overall science GPA" and also add a new category of "Graduate GPA" to your application, so you can potentially apply to med school w/ a 4.0 graduate gpa and an improved overall sGPA, both very beneficial to your app.

There are plenty of options for housing. If accepted, you'll join a facebook group for your class and many people find roomates on that for apartments or houses. You can also rent a 1BR apartment for yourself. Dont let housing bother you too much, I got accepted in April last year and just took a trip to FW (idk how far away you live or if this is an option) and spent all day saturday looking at apartments. Again, this isn't something to worry about until you're in because there are tons of places nearby. When the time comes, you can just google-map UNTHSC campus, then search "apartments" and see whats nearby.

It should be just above a 3.6: (3.4, 3.7, 3.8 and 3.6 semesters roughly). I'm about a 3 hours drive away so I'm not too terribly far from Ft. Worth. I'll probably end up driving that way to look around then if I get in. Thanks again for all the information you've provided! It's been really helpful so far.

Summer 2014: 5/22 (beginning of orientation) - 8/1 (this last number can vary based on if you're retaking the MCAT)

Fall 2014: 8/18-12/5

Spring 2014: 1/12-5/8

Thanks for the reply random123! I am a pre-PA student so I would not be taking the MCAT. Could you tell me when summer 2014 classes ended for students not taking the MCAT?

Summer: Orientation was 5/18 i think and ended 7/14
Fall: started 8/18 and ended 5/12
Spring: started 1/12 and will end 5/16

Thanks for the reply closetgunner19! Did you take the MCAT? I noticed that random123 said classes ended on 8/1 depending on those retaking the MCAT but noticed you said summer 2014 classes ended on 7/14.

Thanks for the reply closetgunner19! Did you take the MCAT? I noticed that random123 said classes ended on 8/1 depending on those retaking the MCAT but noticed you said summer 2014 classes ended on 7/14.

Biostats ended July 14, Intro to Biochem (optional) ended July 18. MCAT courses lasted until Aug 1. Those extra two weeks without Biostats allowed time for preceptorship, mock interviews, and/or studying for MCAT (especially if you planned to take it in August).

Biostats is now online. To @dallas214 if your GRE is not within the 50%ile you will be in a GRE prep course as opposed to the MCAT course.

@closetgunner19 :That's how a lot of the current Medsci students felt at the open house. Btw, do you think Intro to Biochem helped you for Biochem in the fall? I got a 60/40 (yes/no) response from some of the students at the open house.

Biostats is now online. To @dallas214 if your GRE is not within the 50%ile you will be in a GRE prep course as opposed to the MCAT course.

Did you attend the open house for this information? If so, is there any other information you recieved from the open house? I got food poisoning the night before so I wasn't able to attend afterall.

Really?? That's awesome! So do y'all ha
@closetgunner19 :That's how a lot of the current Medsci students felt at the open house. Btw, do you think Intro to Biochem helped you for Biochem in the fall? I got a 60/40 (yes/no) response from some of the students at the open house.
Wow that's awesome that it's online now! I didn't take it and I think the class was fine. I had taken biochem before but I honestly didn't remember much. Hopefully someone who has taken the course can tell you how beneficial it was. I know that if you don't take it you pay less for your tuition...

I didn't take it either and did fine. Maybe the class is worth it if you either never took biochem or you haven't taken it in a few years, I feel if you're comfortable with at least MCAT level biochem then thats more than adequate to jump in to this course.

Okay, so basically here is an overview of the Open House from Saturday..

As of the 21st there was roughly 400 applicants. There were some who attended the open house who have not yet submitted. So maybe add about 15-20 people to the applicant pool. They are accepting 210.

Gave some advice for those who haven't submitted, send a resume/CV, don't be extra wordy if you don't have too, and make sure your grammar is on par. You can always add a resume/CV to your file if you have already submitted

Answer the questions, and do not leave anything blank. Don't answer the questions like "it was a rainy day when I delivered the baby on the side of the road..", which I actually do have a story like that, not delivering a baby, but I'm a nurse, and my life experience needed to be expressed for my question to make sense, but I stand behind why I wrote it like that, so eh I digress.

They mentioned the overview of courses etc. Many questions arose about applying before or after the program. They said most people apply during the program. They advised people who are in the MCAT prep course to not take MCAT until August 5, or August 21, (that seems really late to me) but that was their advice. They also mentioned to not submit their primaries until we have attended the application workshops, they seem to hone in on that, because they believe it will make our applications stronger.

I was able to speak to some current students who were waitlisted at TCOM. It was expressed by them that this program did help their application, but if they have not completed the program, the grades in this program didn't seem to weigh much. One specifically said "an adcom told me that yeah, they see I'm in the program, and will they look at it, maybe, but if I was to apply after the program, then yes, most definitely". Take that how you want.

If you are going to take a gap year, they do have a program that you can bridge into that gives you a 6 month internship dealing with research. People asked about what you could do with this degree, and bridging into this program was an option.

I hear that this program does favor non-trads, that was something that I was weary of, but they also favor people straight out of school. They look at the entire application and see if they can help you. Once you are in, they want to make sure you succeed.

There were questions about the optional intro to biochem course. Some said it was helpful, some said they didn't take it and still did well. I do not have biochemistry, so I'm taking it, so I can't really give an opinion on that.

There was this one girl who asked a question about having a car, I zoned out, because I have one, so I'm not sure. If accepted I'll be commuting 55+ miles.

We toured the campus, and library, which I loved. They have a virtual anatomy bar which is cool, and I'm an aesthetics person, so the colors and natural lights really sold me. Since I have 24 hour access to UTSW library, I will mostly study there, but this was an added bonus for me.

The anatomy lab is 24 hours. We get the cross sections from the med students.

Options for tutors, who were previous MedSci students, and are now current med students. Volunteer opportunities are available. There were mention of student interest groups as well.

Lastly, the 40 hours for the shadowing has to come from FM, IM, Peds, or OBGYN (only if the former 3 are unavailable)

This is just from my notes I took and what I remembers, if there are specifics just ask and maybe I can help. Maybe @aspiringdocO remembers something I didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, I may not take the Intro to biochem then. I took Biochem I (which I loved) and since I am taking the NEW MCAT I feel like I will have most of the stuff in memory by the time I take Biochem in the fall. Of course, contingent to my acceptance :).

Yes, work as a tech @ a clinic of any kind (primary care, cardiology, ophthalmology [tons of positions @ ophthalmology practices!], anything except cosmetics) Honestly just find a group of docs close to where you live and apply to be a technician of any kind. Be honest with them, tell them your plans are to go to med school and that you have a bachelor's. Working as a tech in any field is great experience and will definitely open your eyes to what medicine really is because at this point you have no clue. Med schools love someone w/ real experience as opposed to shadowing or random volunteer activities.

I also want to reassure you that w/ your stats, MedSci is not what you need. You need some solid experience and be able to interview well. There is no reason you wont get an acceptance w/ the stats you've listed, dont panic.
Thanks for the advice. It wis really helpful. I will try to find some work opportinity as a tech. Do you think it is important to show some work experience BEFORE I apply (in May) ? It will be difficult for me to find one since I am currently in my senior year of school. I gues my worry is if I don't show any work experience at the time of applying to TMDSAS, I may not be able to send in any updates later, to show them that I started working, unless I get an interview invite.

Thanks for the advice. It wis really helpful. I will try to find some work opportinity as a tech. Do you think it is important to show some work experience BEFORE I apply (in May) ? It will be difficult for me to find one since I am currently in my senior year of school. I gues my worry is if I don't show any work experience at the time of applying to TMDSAS, I may not be able to send in any updates later, to show them that I started working, unless I get an interview invite.
Well what were you going to do in your year off anyway? my advice is to land a job so that you may put it on your app. in current and planned activities. dont worry, if you apply in june or early july its not going to be this major detriment to your application like everyone makes it seem.

With the assumption that the MCAT prep course this program offers reflects the changes to the test, will the course function as a "stand alone" review course for the new MCAT topics? For example, if I took biochem and a social sciences course 5+ years ago while in undergrad, will I be sufficiently prepared to do well on the new test after completing the summer prep course?
The prep course (unless this changes) is the same course that is the offered by The Princeton Review. They do a good job of telling you what you need to know for the test and giving you practice material. So in my opinion, yes, if you take the course and put in time to prepare for the test you will be ready.

Oh I forgot to mention. April 11th is the "My HSC Day". Basically a preview day. Put it on your calendars just incase.

Tell me @closetgunner19 how you are so awesome at dedicating time to this forum...while I'm here scrambling to learn this CV physio??

Edit: Also, props to @random123!

He is so awesome and dedicated to this forum because he is at the top of the class, he has already been accepted to a medical school, and sincerely wants to see others succeed. Rare combinations!!

Reactions: 3 users
He is so awesome and dedicated to this forum because he is at the top of the class, he has already been accepted to a medical school, and sincerely wants to see others succeed. Rare combinations!!

Everyone ignore this

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some input,

I'm currently in my gap year and graduated with a 3.67 GPA/3.57 ScGPA (past 60hrs 3.82GPA), 29 MCAT (2nd attempt, I don't plan to retake), and strong extra-curricular
Currently in the AACOMAS cycle for 2015 matriculation but no doors have opened as of yet.
I'm also a non-Texan resident.

The question I have is since TX med schools favor IS residents, would this program allow me to be seen as a Texan while applying in the upcoming cycle? In other words, do I appear as competitive as a Texan resident with same stats?
I'm kind of just weighing my options in terms of SMPs. I'd really love to move out to TX and call it a new home, but I don't want to jump into something with any false hope.
Assuming I enter this program and perform very well, I'm lacking confidence in the matter that I'd be considered an OOS individual with average stats.

Any MedSci alumni/current students willing to pitch in on OOS students with average stats seeking to matriculate into a TX med school the following year?

Really...no DO love? @jsam91 granted I've never applied before but I'm curious as to why you haven't heard anything??

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some input,

I'm currently in my gap year and graduated with a 3.67 GPA/3.57 ScGPA (past 60hrs 3.82GPA), 29 MCAT (2nd attempt, I don't plan to retake), and strong extra-curricular
Currently in the AACOMAS cycle for 2015 matriculation but no doors have opened as of yet.
I'm also a non-Texan resident.

The question I have is since TX med schools favor IS residents, would this program allow me to be seen as a Texan while applying in the upcoming cycle? In other words, do I appear as competitive as a Texan resident with same stats?
I'm kind of just weighing my options in terms of SMPs. I'd really love to move out to TX and call it a new home, but I don't want to jump into something with any false hope.
Assuming I enter this program and perform very well, I'm lacking confidence in the matter that I'd be considered an OOS individual with average stats.

Any MedSci alumni/current students willing to pitch in on OOS students with average stats seeking to matriculate into a TX med school the following year?

What does it take to become a TX resident? idk the answer to this b/c I've lived in this great state my entire life but I'm sure someone here knows the requirements. Being a non-TX resident will definitely hurt your chances at a TX med school as most schools here take 85-95% in-state applicants. That being said, with your stats, being a TX resident, and being either in MedSci or having completed MedSci if you are to wait another cycle... I'd say you have no problem getting a few interviews here.

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to hopefully getting accepted into this program and seeing some of you in classes this May. This thread has been a large help answering a lot of my question and concerns, so I say thank you to everyone that has been keeping up with it . Waiting to find out if I got accepted feels like the MCAT all over again, a long drawn out month of agonizing anticipation. Based on threads from previous years it looks like we wont be finding out our acceptance status till around April 8th.

Last edited:
@jsam91

To establish domicile--
Must have documentation of 12 months being in Texas. Among the documents that may be used to prove 12 months’ presence in Texas are:1. Texas high school transcript for the full senior year immediately preceding the semester en- rolled;2. A Texas college or university transcript (in conjunction with other documents from the institution);3. An employer’s statement of date of employment

There's much more but that's the most prominent.

Besides being late in applying, you're guess would be as good as mine :/ @prettyNURSEtoMD

I see, thanks for all the input guys. I guess this program seems more tailored to the OOS applicants willing to finish the program, establish domicile, and apply the cycle after the upcoming one.
I'll try to get in touch with UNT to clarify things some more for you OOS'rs that are in a similar boat as I am.

I'm still open to hear from any OOS Med Sci students/alumni.
Thanks again guys!