UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Go ahead and apply they are behind on apps too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Read through the thread and picked up on some good information! Just curious, any pre-dental students? Just wanted to know the stats of those applying or those already in the program.. Wish you all the best of luck!

Yes there were predent current students that spoke to us and those who were at the open house. I'm not familiar with DAT scores, but if you don't have a 19, you will be in the prep course too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I just finished applying to the program this evening! I know that its late into the cycle but I was waiting for my MCAT score to return before applying. Since I'm applying late, I'm a bit concerned about getting my EUID and making sure everything is received before the deadline.
Do you think that we are able to ask if its received (even if its not processed)?

Hello everyone!

I just finished applying to the program this evening! I know that its late into the cycle but I was waiting for my MCAT score to return before applying. Since I'm applying late, I'm a bit concerned about getting my EUID and making sure everything is received before the deadline.
Do you think that we are able to ask if its received (even if its not processed)?

I'm in the same boat too.

When did you apply?

I should be finished tomorrow, but definitely by this weekend. Did you send your LOR by email? If so would it be helpful to include MedSci on Subject line?

@abc329 @vd0917 hey! I applied about a month ago, and haven't received my ID, I know people who applied early January who haven't received their ID either. They are "behind" in processing apps. Also I sent LOR via email, interfolio and via Fax. Any method is fine. One of my LOR had trouble making a PDF for email, so they told me faxing was an option. And for me I always put "Medical Sciences Applicant" in the subject for any correspondence. And I'm a "caller", lol, so I feel it's necessary to keep up with my own personal file As well since they are behind, so I do call and check receipt of things even if I have no way of checking my status online. That's how I found they "lost" my money order, then they "found" it, and that delayed my app processing a week later, but that's just me. Some aren't as persistent, for the lack of better terms, as me.

@abc329 @vd0917 hey! I applied about a month ago, and haven't received my ID, I know people who applied early January who haven't received their ID either. They are "behind" in processing apps. Also I sent LOR via email, interfolio and via Fax. Any method is fine. One of my LOR had trouble making a PDF for email, so they told me faxing was an option. And for me I always put "Medical Sciences Applicant" in the subject for any correspondence. And I'm a "caller", lol, so I feel it's necessary to keep up with my own personal file As well since they are behind, so I do call and check receipt of things even if I have no way of checking my status online. That's how I found they "lost" my money order, then they "found" it, and that delayed my app processing a week later, but that's just me. Some aren't as persistent, for the lack of better terms, as me.

Thanks so much for that information! I'll be sure to pester them until I have confirmed that everything has been received!
Which department/number have you been calling? And they've been helpful in letting you know what materials have been received?

Also, I know that they request transcrips from all colleges that you've attended, do they calculate the overall GPA from all colleges attended? Or just your degree granting one?

@vd0917 I just call the main number, and tell them I have a question about the Med Sci program. Usually they can answer it, or they will transfer me to an appropriate person. I've been speaking with Jan, and Sarah. Since they haven't officially processed my applications, hence no EUID, they are able to tell me that they have my CV, LORs, my transcripts and application in a file. I have a total of 7 transcripts. They will calculate your overall undergraduate gpa from all your transcripts, and then the last 60 hours gpa. There is no "science gpa".

@vd0917 I just call the main number, and tell them I have a question about the Med Sci program. Usually they can answer it, or they will transfer me to an appropriate person. I've been speaking with Jan, and Sarah. Since they haven't officially processed my applications, hence no EUID, they are able to tell me that they have my CV, LORs, my transcripts and application in a file. I have a total of 7 transcripts. They will calculate your overall undergraduate gpa from all your transcripts, and then the last 60 hours gpa. There is no "science gpa".
Fantastic! I'll just be sure to keep calling until all my materials are verified! :)

Has anyone applied for financial aid and scholarships yet? Or is that something people are waiting on contingent on their acceptance?

I haven't filed my taxes yet. I have 3 W2s so that's why I haven't applied for fafsa.. But I would go ahead and do it

Members don't see this ad :)
Fill out your fafsa regardless of your admission status. If you get accepted, the school will get your info. If not, nothing will happen. Also, even if you haven't filed your taxes, still complete your fafsa- there is an option that says you plan to file, and then you can always update it afterward.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides being late in applying, you're guess would be as good as mine :/ @prettyNURSEtoMD

I see, thanks for all the input guys. I guess this program seems more tailored to the OOS applicants willing to finish the program, establish domicile, and apply the cycle after the upcoming one.
I'll try to get in touch with UNT to clarify things some more for you OOS'rs that are in a similar boat as I am.

I'm still open to hear from any OOS Med Sci students/alumni.
Thanks again guys!

OOS here.

You won't be able to apply this cycle as a TX resident and attending this program this upcoming year won't grant you IS status either. TMDSAS and the schools will see that you came to TX for education and you would be considered OOS for this app year and next.

There are a few exceptions around this but they involve major life changes that people don't usually go into for the IS benefits.

Hey, y'all! I was wondering, has anyone heard back yet with a decision? She said at the open house that they had made decisions but didn't want to send them out before open house because of "angry people". I applied super early and am wearing out my refresh button. Best of luck to all!

Hey, y'all! I was wondering, has anyone heard back yet with a decision? She said at the open house that they had made decisions but didn't want to send them out before open house because of "angry people". I applied super early and am wearing out my refresh button. Best of luck to all!

Last year they didn't start sending out decisions until the middle of March and they kept sending them until a few days before class started.

I just submitted my application :banana:. Late but hopefully I get in!!

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone,
I would like an advice (especially from current/ past students) on how to best answer the last question: additional info that you want the committee know. As I feel that I have explained pretty much everything else in the above questions, should I make attempt at explaining the low GPA? Any best way to do so? All advices and inputs are greatly appreciated

Everyone,
I would like an advice (especially from current/ past students) on how to best answer the last question: additional info that you want the committee know. As I feel that I have explained pretty much everything else in the above questions, should I make attempt at explaining the low GPA? Any best way to do so? All advices and inputs are greatly appreciated
Talk about your life, your background. Where you grew up, your roots. They know you volunteer, and have research (example maybe true or not) but do they know you're the oldest of 6, and you grew up in Itasca, Texas. That's what I did, I talked about something they couldn't get from a transcript. (I'm not the oldest of 6 and didn't grow up in Itasca! Lol). She mentioned this at the open house, that's why it's "additional info". To me that means something you can't get from the transcript or publication, it let's them know about me and my personality, and my hobbies. I put what's important to me. Anyways, yes, you could also talk about a circumstance that caused a low gpa, but you must reiterate how you fixed it, and what you've learned from this. I know you wanted current and past MedSci people to mostly respond, but I've got experience with these types of scenarios throughout my nursing and professional career. It' always meant, "so tell me about yourself", whatever you do, don't leave anything blank!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't even have an EUID yet. -_-

Everyone,

My professional school advisor at TAMU recommended addressing any deficiencies of your application on this section. The important thing is not to assign blame for anything. For me I addressed why there were three sequential semesters why I had substantially lower grades due to personal issues occurring during that time frame.

Good luck!

Have they told you when you should expect yours? Do you know if you'd get it before the deadline passes?
I actually just got off the phone with them. They have everything in my file, she listed all the schools that have sent my transcript, (I had a lot lol), all 4 of my LORs, my CV, and an additional item I sent, and an unofficial score report. So I'm unofficially "complete" in regards to items received. She said that they were still behind and "probably not any closer since we were closed 3 days out of 5 for the snow". I'm not sure when I'll get an ID, but acceptances/rejections are communicated via email I've read, so I'll have to rely on that until then.

I actually just got off the phone with them. They have everything in my file, she listed all the schools that have sent my transcript, (I had a lot lol), all 4 of my LORs, my CV, and an additional item I sent, and an unofficial score report. So I'm unofficially "complete" in regards to items received. She said that they were still behind and "probably not any closer since we were closed 3 days out of 5 for the snow". I'm not sure when I'll get an ID, but acceptances/rejections are communicated via email I've read, so I'll have to rely on that until then.

Be sure to send them pictures from childhood and a birth certificate

Reactions: 4 users
Hahaha!

Do you guys know the average age of applicants for this program? I'd be 21 entering it o.o

Hahaha!

Do you guys know the average age of applicants for this program? I'd be 21 entering it o.o

I would say the average is probably around 24/25. Just a guess. There seems to be a lot of people fresh out of undergrad or a year or two out.

Edit: If you're asking if there will be other people the same age as you, there will be plenty.

Hahaha!

I'm 22! There are plenty of people fresh out of undergrad. You won't be that much of a baby. :)

One black?! Yikes. No URM debates please. I'm just a little taken back. UTSW had 4 at least haha! Thanks for the data!!! Kudos to that 54 year old in '09!

If one starts the program this summer (June 2015), can he/she submit the TMDSAS application in May or June (2015) or do students usually wait for grades from summer courses before submitting it?

I am not sure about UNTHSC, but from the KCUMB in Kansas City, MO I have gotten into (I would assume it's similar- but correct me if i'm wrong), they said to go ahead and apply for this cycle (i also don't think it's too important to apply super early unless you are truly ready and /or you have other schools besides the "linked" COM that you really want to get into). They send you the secondaries sometime in November and have you submit them before the end of the year. They then let you know around this time if you have been selected for an interview based the "requirements" and success in the program. If you do get accepted to the COM, your acceptance is contingent upon successfully matriculating from the program by meeting the "minimum" gpa requirements.

I know this information because i have a friend who is currently in the KCUMB biomed program.

I originally wanted to post on this thread for some advice- and forgive me if it's the wrong place on sdn- but I believe some people posting on here are applying to similar programs across the states. I am looking for some advice on just a general success of these SMP's and i think i have my answer but i still wanted other people's opinion.

As a Texas resident, i am painstakingly awaiting UNTHSC decisions but they are just so behind i know i won't here back for another couple weeks at least. I was complete mid January.

So far I have gotten into KCUMB MS BS, Colorado State MS BS, PCOM-GA biomed program, and VCOM certificate. So far I think KCUMB is the "best" program so far. Of course I am biased because one of my best friends goes here and so I have a really good understanding of the program and their resources, but I have also read over stats and read hours sdn for these programs. Anyone have any thoughts if they were in a similar situation?

In addition, I am most nervous about the loan situation as KCUCOM is one of the most expensive DO schools, but being OOS for all these programs, their tuition runs around the same price, so I have to take it or leave it. I will most likely have to take out the max amount of federal loans as well as a private loan, which I am not too happy about, but what can you do!? anyone else have any concerns about loans or other info they would like to share about paying for their SMP?

I have until march 6th to put down $500 deposit for KCUMB and PCOM -GA, I sure wish I knew about UNTHSC but i am aware people spend thousands on deposits and it is just chump change in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear back from these SMPs! i hope it's all worth it!

If one starts the program this summer (June 2015), can he/she submit the TMDSAS application in May or June (2015) or do students usually wait for grades from summer courses before submitting it?
Submit as early as possible then update TMDSAS with your grades as they are released. If you've never applied before the application workshop the school hosts could be useful but I'm not honestly sure if it's worth the wait. I think it's only a few weeks after school starts.

@mcsqueeze I would think hard between the KCUMB and PCOM programs and put down the deposit for one of them and if you get into the med sci program just pick that. Like you said, in the long run you're going to save a lot of money coming here for the med sci program and going to TCOM/TexasMD over KCUMB. I would ASSUME TX adcoms appreciate and know more about the med sci program over KCUMBs so higher chance of matriculating if you stay here, again, just an assumption, I honestly don't know anything about the other programs.

If any of the other programs have a direct linkage to a med school then that changes things..

Id say 99% of us applied this cycle and just sent our grades as we finished them. Something you may not know is that in the fall, biochem is completed in the first 6 or 8 weeks, then cell bio is started and finished in another 6, so those grades can be sent to TMDSAS immediately and WELL BEFORE the unofficial interview-invite deadline. Also on TMDSAS there is an option to choose which distinguishes yourself as "applying via a specialized program; then you choose UNTHSC Medical science masters". I'm not sure if you can select this if you have already completed the program, in either case this is a benefit to your app and the adcoms will be aware that you will be reporting your course grades as they are completed.

@mermaidcastaway For what it's worth, last year the first batch of acceptances came around the last week of March to early April.

Last edited: