UNT M.S. in Medical Sciences 2015-2016 (Texas)-SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also on TMDSAS there is an option to choose which distinguishes yourself as "applying via a specialized program; then you choose UNTHSC Medical science masters". I'm not sure if you can select this if you have already completed the program

Can only select that tab while in the program

Members don't see this ad.

How many are planning to apply while doing the program? I wish I could talk to someone (preferably an SMP advisor) to see if in my case that would be a good idea....

How many are planning to apply while doing the program? I wish I could talk to someone (preferably an SMP advisor) to see if in my case that would be a good idea....

There are quite a few people in our program who are waiting to apply next year. I have spoken to other medical students at TCOM who also waited. Many believe that waiting will make their application better with a solid MedSci GPA (greater than 3.6) and it has worked for them. You have to decide if going to the program and applying this cycle is best for you. Don't rely on someone else to make your life's decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask pretty nurse what she thinks, she probably has advice. @N2B8TR

Reactions: 2 users
While waiting could help for other schools in Texas, I'm not sure what advantage it would give you at TCOM itself. I feel like you would actually have an advantage at TCOM while in MedSci instead of being in the general pool. Especially since they see your grades right away after you complete each class. They have access to your grades if you sign a waiver so you don't have to submit a transcript to TMDSAS for them to see your grades.

Even if you have mediocre stats you never know how many points your MCAT will improve and how well you'll do in MedSci. $140 isn't a huge gamble to take to see if you can start med school a year earlier versus waiting.

What I'm trying to say is with TCOM if you do well in MedSci while you're in the program you have a really high chance of getting an interview, the only reason not to apply is if you don't want to stay at TCOM or you're planning to do bad in MedSci but then you wouldn't get an interview afterwards anyways..

Reactions: 1 users
@closetgunner19 @N2B8TR I am thinking real hard..... The problem is I don't know how I ll handle both application + interview + MedSci at the same time. If you have, please share your experience. A general breakdown of the academic calendar (i.e: which month is final exam, mid term ...etc...) certainly will help.
@prettyNURSEtoMD Please let me know what you think
@random123 Very informative and hilarious at the same time

@mqt129 Don't stress about that, you'll be fine. Try to start working on the application as soon as it opens, I saw your MCAT score from a previous post so I'm assuming you won't be taking the prep course. That combined with biochem being online now will give you a lot of time. Get your application in as soon as possible, it'll save you a lot of stress.

Professors and administrators will work with you if you have interviews, they know that it's the goal of everyone here so it is always an excused absence.

General calendar - expect to have a test every week or every other week after the first test (in the fall). During the summer it's just biochem so you'll have 2 weeks between tests? Don't remember. It isn't like undergrad where you have your "first round" of tests in a two week span then a month break until the next round. Remember that your main science classes will only last about a month each so not as much of a break between exams.

@closetgunner19 @N2B8TR I am thinking real hard..... The problem is I don't know how I ll handle both application + interview + MedSci at the same time. If you have, please share your experience. A general breakdown of the academic calendar (i.e: which month is final exam, mid term ...etc...) certainly will help.
I'm applying while in the program. I am taking MCAT in June so I will be "behind" "late" or whatever you want to call it. To cut down some stress and time, Ive prewritten secondaries and optional essays to all the schools I'm applying to, well not ALL, but a good chunk. I started last year honestly because I'm applying to a **** ton of schools. So maybe you could do that to get ahead of the game to save you some time as well. I rewrote my personal statement which was way too dang long, I'm still trying to shorten it to the 5000 character limit. Ive gone from 7000 to 6649, so it's coming down. Shut up to anyone who's like "oh God" hahah, let me live. I did contemplate waiting though, thinking that my app might be stronger, but I'm just going with it and sending grades as I get them, (assuming I get in). I know I seem super anal and pushy and maybe I but I'm THE chillest person you'll ever meet. I just f*cked up in undergrad and slacked so I'm almost 30 and have to do a lot to prove myself so that's why I'm super pushy. But I'm still chill lol just thought I'd throw that out.

While waiting could help for other schools in Texas, I'm not sure what advantage it would give you at TCOM itself. I feel like you would actually have an advantage at TCOM while in MedSci instead of being in the general pool. Especially since they see your grades right away after you complete each class. They have access to your grades if you sign a waiver so you don't have to submit a transcript to TMDSAS for them to see your grades.

Even if you have mediocre stats you never know how many points your MCAT will improve and how well you'll do in MedSci. $140 isn't a huge gamble to take to see if you can start med school a year earlier versus waiting.

What I'm trying to say is with TCOM if you do well in MedSci while you're in the program you have a really high chance of getting an interview, the only reason not to apply is if you don't want to stay at TCOM or you're planning to do bad in MedSci but then you wouldn't get an interview afterwards anyways..
Hey, question, I know this girl I met at the open house, she says she has a 4.0, but she's waitlisted, so I was just wondering maybe what you think the problem is? Just because you said if you do well you have a really higher chance of getting an interview, you think that's interviewing skills alone? Just curious!

(I'm assuming she's waitlisted at TCOM) From what I know and from past MedSci classes, TCOM accepts very few people in MedSci during pre-match and match, this is due to anatomy and physiology being in the spring semester -- they want to see how those waitlisted will perform in those two classes before making a decision -- at least that is my understanding of it. So not interviewing skills as much as they're just waiting to see how people do in the spring.

I just put in my application on Thursday, I know it is late but I am hoping all my transcripts and money order will reach the office before coming Friday. I have a 3.4 Cumulative GPA and 3.7 science GPA, MCAT 23, more than five years of nursing experience, currently nursing instructor. Can a SMP advisor weigh in on my chances. I want to get an idea of what the committee is looking in the application to make that decision.
I have an acceptance from Ross (island school) with scholarships and stuff but i rather start this program and wait out another year to go to Med school in states.

I just put in my application on Thursday, I know it is late but I am hoping all my transcripts and money order will reach the office before coming Friday. I have a 3.4 Cumulative GPA and 3.7 science GPA, MCAT 23, more than five years of nursing experience, currently nursing instructor. Can a SMP advisor weigh in on my chances. I want to get an idea of what the committee is looking in the application to make that decision.
I have an acceptance from Ross (island school) with scholarships and stuff but i rather start this program and wait out another year to go to Med school in states.
I do know that there was someone who submitted on the deadline last year and was still accepted, some of their documents arrived after, and assuming it was okay but she was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you submit your app and payment by the due date, your documents can arrive a few days afterward- don't push it though. I submitted my app about a week before deadline, had one document that didn't get process until a few days AFTER the deadline, and still got accepted. The first time I sent that transcript, they didn't get a chance to process it yet, and it showed as incomplete- it had been over 2 weeks by then. I called them about it and ended up hand-delivering them another copy. Always check your status and call them if there are any discrepancies!

As long as you submit your app and payment by the due date, your documents can arrive a few days afterward- don't push it though. I submitted my app about a week before deadline, had one document that didn't get process until a few days AFTER the deadline, and still got accepted. The first time I sent that transcript, they didn't get a chance to process it yet, and it showed as incomplete- it had been over 2 weeks by then. I called them about it and ended up hand-delivering them another copy. Always check your status and call them if there are any discrepancies!
So i am assuming you are currently enrolled in the program. How is the quality of education ? How competitive is the program coz from what i gather its the top 15 % or so who end up making an A in each course work and they use a curve to grade each test ? Is that right ? Do you have to take the mcat prep course if you are not planning on retaking the mcat ? i read up on the requirements to be exempt from that class but i don't qualify as per the requirements but still don't plan on retaking mcat. In the light of the grades and accomplishments of your fellow classmates in the program, do you think I am competitive enough with CGPA: 3.4, SGPA: 3.7 and MCAT : 23 with clinical experience of working as a RN (nurse) for more than 5 years and also nursing instructor for the last year. Would appreciate your response

So i am assuming you are currently enrolled in the program. How is the quality of education ? How competitive is the program coz from what i gather its the top 15 % or so who end up making an A in each course work and they use a curve to grade each test ? Is that right ? Do you have to take the mcat prep course if you are not planning on retaking the mcat ? i read up on the requirements to be exempt from that class but i don't qualify as per the requirements but still don't plan on retaking mcat. In the light of the grades and accomplishments of your fellow classmates in the program, do you think I am competitive enough with CGPA: 3.4, SGPA: 3.7 and MCAT : 23 with clinical experience of working as a RN (nurse) for more than 5 years and also nursing instructor for the last year. Would appreciate your response
You do have to take the mcat course regardless if you plan to retake or not because you don't have a 28.

I would definitely plan on retaking the MCAT; you'll have to take the course regardless and a 23 is not competitive. I think it is important to have a strong MCAT score because it is kind of an "equalizer" across universities and programs. GPAs from different schools can mean different things, but the MCAT is the same for everyone.

Your GPA is competitive and your experience, I think, is unparalleled, but everyone is different and you really never know! They look into everything, including your essays, and see if you as a person would fit in and benefit from the program.

I've spoken for the past year or so with someone in the TCOM admissions committee about this program, and from his advice and what I heard at the open house, it seems like a high quality education and great experience.

Good luck!

Yes you have to take the MCAT prep your MCAT is not good enough to bypass it, your GPA is good, and your clinical experience is irrelevant. When clinical experience might be helpful is during rotations which you won't have to worry about until you are in medical school and that really depends on the type of nurse your are. The program is extremely competitive and the students are top notch. The Average class grade for most of the tests is in the high 80's which means if you don't know how to study and think you can rely on your experience you will be proven wrong quickly. The best way to know if you are competitive for the program or not is to wait for an acceptance email. If the program thinks highly enough of your application they will give you a shot, if not then they won't.

Yes you have to take the MCAT prep your MCAT is not good enough to bypass it, your GPA is good, and your clinical experience is irrelevant. When clinical experience might be helpful is during rotations which you won't have to worry about until you are in medical school and that really depends on the type of nurse your are. The program is extremely competitive and the students are top notch. The Average class grade for most of the tests is in the high 80's which means if you don't know how to study and think you can rely on your experience you will be proven wrong quickly. The best way to know if you are competitive for the program or not is to wait for an acceptance email. If the program thinks highly enough of your application they will give you a shot, if not then they won't.

Thanks for the input. The more i am reading about this program, the better my understanding on what to expect. I was trying to get a better idea on what the committee is looking in the applicant when they make the decision. So the last 60 hours of your course work GPA is taking into account from i have read so far in different forums. Hope that would works in my favor, my cgpa for the last 60 hours of undergrad course work is around 3.7. But i do understand what you mean, got to wait and see what the committee thinks about my application. I am sure the students they accept are going to be top quality students with good work ethics and study habits, if not they won't make it coz their gpa will reflect their study habits. And I do realize that the classes in this program are going to be way tougher than any of the undergrad course work anyone has ever taken. But i am up for the challenge and i know i can do this. Good luck with your classes and thanks for responding.

one last question: did the mcat prep class help you ? what kind of class was it ? did they cover the content ? testing strategies ? was it a pass/fail class ?

Thanks for the input. The more i am reading about this program, the better my understanding on what to expect. I was trying to get a better idea on what the committee is looking in the applicant when they make the decision. So the last 60 hours of your course work GPA is taking into account from i have read so far in different forums. Hope that would works in my favor, my cgpa for the last 60 hours of undergrad course work is around 3.7. But i do understand what you mean, got to wait and see what the committee thinks about my application. I am sure the students they accept are going to be top quality students with good work ethics and study habits, if not they won't make it coz their gpa will reflect their study habits. And I do realize that the classes in this program are going to be way tougher than any of the undergrad course work anyone has ever taken. But i am up for the challenge and i know i can do this. Good luck with your classes and thanks for responding.

one last question: did the mcat prep class help you ? what kind of class was it ? did they cover the content ? testing strategies ? was it a pass/fail class ?
Its Princeton review... Some people did better, a buddy of mine went up 10 points, some people stayed the same while others did worse. Biostats was at the same time and was truly demanding, so depending on how time was managed depended on how the MCAT score changed.

Its Princeton review... Some people did better, a buddy of mine went up 10 points, some people stayed the same while others did worse. Biostats was at the same time and was truly demanding, so depending on how time was managed depended on how the MCAT score changed.
Do you think with biostats being online will make a difference

Do you think with biostats being online will make a difference

YEP!!!! If you took the MCAT prep you did that for 3 hours then went right after that to Biostats, which was around 3 hours.. IMHO any class that is given online is much easier than in the class room.. I guess you will have to tell next years class what you think though.

It's an MCAT course offered by Princeton Review that is covered in your tuition. It's not a "class" but a course. Like Kaplan etc. Are you familiar with those?
yep, i am familiar with them...Princeton review has good reputation, i had bought their online self study package but never really utilized it...hope this is in class and will help me.

YEP!!!! If you took the MCAT prep you did that for 3 hours then went right after that to Biostats, which was around 3 hours.. IMHO any class that is given online is much easier than in the class room.. I guess you will have to tell next years class what you think though.

so MCAT prep is in class ? how many days a week ? man i bet taking biochem intro would help with this new mcat format....hate the fact that now ill have to go over sociology and psych :(...its a princeton review course, so i am assuming its not a class with grades. So the first semester only has biochem and biostats that have exams and grades ? thanks for answering all the questions so far..

so MCAT prep is in class ? how many days a week ? man i bet taking biochem intro would help with this new mcat format....hate the fact that now ill have to go over sociology and psych :(...its a princeton review course, so i am assuming its not a class with grades. So the first semester only has biochem and biostats that have exams and grades ? thanks for answering all the questions so far..
Yes, mcat course is in class. I heard 4 days a week? I could be wrong. Intro to Biochem is P/F, and Biochem is for a grade as well as biostats.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1425758558.147260.jpg

@RN2MD2014applicant

I have taken the MCAT four times. The highest score so far is 27 (PS7, VR9, BS11). With a 3.9 uGPA, would this program help me with other Texas schools because TCOM told me that I should just apply directly without the program. I submitted my application last week and I'm hoping to hear positive news from them but I'm still not sure if the MedSci would increase my chances at other Texas schools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have taken the MCAT four times. The highest score so far is 27 (PS7, VR9, BS11). With a 3.9 uGPA, would this program help me with other Texas schools because TCOM told me that I should just apply directly without the program. I submitted my application last week and I'm hoping to hear positive news from them but I'm still not sure if the MedSci would increase my chances at other Texas schools. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
With a 3.9, I don't know if this program could help you much. Those are good stats and barring no red flags, I don't see why you couldn't get in to medical school. :)

would any of the current students be willing to share last years excel spread sheet with the summer schedule. i would really appreciate it. I am kinda confused on when to sign up for MCAT ? this schedule would give me a better idea.

We are taught by professors who teach at TCOM, so I would say it is quality education. Our course average grades has been 85+ so I'll safely assume that more than 15% of the class is making As, and the curve only applies if the final course average is below 85. So far there has been no curve.

In terms of competitiveness, do you mean how students rank among each other or the admissions? I know a handful of students who currently have a 4.0 in the program, and many who have only made a few Bs. And adcom will consider you for admission if they feel you have the stats/qualities for admission into medical school (barring one or two specific areas of weakness that can be remedied through the program- GPA, MCAT, volunteering, shadowing, etc). Think of it like they are investing in you, trying to help push you into medical school. They are giving you opportunities to strengthen some of your weaknesses so that you can become a stronger/more competitive applicant.

Even though you don't plan on retaking the MCAT, you'll still have to take the prep course as requirement. But with a 23, I would encourage you to retake. Princeton was very helpful for me in terms of studying tips on how to remember practically everything you need to know to do well. Lol. Be sure to keep up with your "homework" by setting aside time to study and do practice questions. If they don't help you raise your score, there is a guarantee, but I forget what it is...

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
would any of the current students be willing to share last years excel spread sheet with the summer schedule. i would really appreciate it. I am kinda confused on when to sign up for MCAT ? this schedule would give me a better idea.

They will automatically enroll you in ALL of your courses, so you don't have to worry about any of that, even the Princeton review. The only exception is if you want to take the Intro to Biochem course, which is optional- you have to do that yourself, and directions will be given.

They will automatically enroll you in ALL of your courses, so you don't have to worry about any of that, even the Princeton review. The only exception is if you want to take the Intro to Biochem course, which is optional- you have to do that yourself, and directions will be given.

i was trying to check out dates to register to take MCAT not enroll in the mcat class offered in the Med Sci program. If you can PM me your summer schedule from last year, i would really appreciate it. Thanks for taking time to answer all my questions.

i was trying to check out dates to register to take MCAT not enroll in the mcat class offered in the Med Sci program. If you can PM me your summer schedule from last year, i would really appreciate it. Thanks for taking time to answer all my questions.
At the open house, they said to take the MCAT mid to late August.

The first and most important thing for you to consider is that you have not been accepted into the program yet and you may not be!! Take the MCAT when you are ready to take the MCAT. In this program unless your score is above 28 you are automatically enrolled into the prep, you are automatically enrolled into everything. Even if you take the MCAT in June you will still be enrolled into the Prep class (if your score is below 28) until your new score comes in. Stop stressing over the little things and stop asking the same questions over and over again. Your strategy for the program (if you are accepted) should be to take the classes you are given, work hard, and get into medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Won't be bothering you again. Good luck with your future endeavors.

PMed you. Best bet is early to mid Aug. That way, if you get accepted you'll finish your prep class. If not, you'll have just enough time to study on your own

The first and most important thing for you to consider is that you have not been accepted into the program yet and you may not be!! Take the MCAT when you are ready to take the MCAT. In this program unless your score is above 28 you are automatically enrolled into the prep, you are automatically enrolled into everything. Even if you take the MCAT in June you will still be enrolled into the Prep class (if your score is below 28) until your new score comes in. Stop stressing over the little things and stop asking the same questions over and over again. Your strategy for the program (if you are accepted) should be to take the classes you are given, work hard, and get into medical school.

Thanks for a fresh and honest perspective. No need to get caught up in the details; if we are accepted, we should just do what needs to be done. Until then, it's a waiting game.

Thanks for a fresh and honest perspective. No need to get caught up in the details; if we are accepted, we should just do what needs to be done. Until then, it's a waiting game.

Finally someone who gets it!

Look, many of you here will get accepted to MedSci and several of you will get rejected. Some of you will get destroyed by the classes and realize that you are not capable of pursuing medicine as a career (which is okay because it's not meant for everyone and I sure wouldn't want some of my classmates treating me 20 years down the road), and some of you will kick ass and realize that you are ready for the next step, and of course... there will be a vast number of people that don't do as well as they think they should so they direct blame to the professors. There are no secrets to getting in to a med school, it takes a high GPA, MCAT, solid interview(s), and a story backing your desire to do this. For those of you that are 100% committed to becoming a physician, you will figure it out and find a way. The education you'll get here is rock solid. I really couldn't think of any better foundation to take w/ you in to med school. I've yet to meet anyone that has gone in to med school with a background that prepares them academically in the same fashion that medsci does.

Like this poster said, dont get caught up in all of the little details; just do what needs to be done cause once you get here, it's "put up or shutup".

I assure you that you can handle filling out online applications, going to interview at med schools, and med sci at the same time. If this is what's holding you back then you should rethink coming here because you need to be able to handle a full plate if you want to go down this career path. The faculty are extremely understanding when it comes to letting you go to interviews... thats the purpose of the program in the first place.

At the open house, they said to take the MCAT mid to late August.

Rule of thumb, take it when youre ready. I'd say late august is approaching a tad bit too late, but if the rest of your app is rock solid then you're probably okay taking it late july-early august.

for medsci, a 23 is below average so idk about your chances honestly. You wont get in any med schools with a 23, retake the MCAT and score a 29+. The 15% thing isn't true, if 90% of students make A's then 90% make As. only curve comes if the final avg. is below an 85 which hasn't happened yet surprisingly...

for medsci, a 23 is below average so idk about your chances honestly. You wont get in any med schools with a 23, retake the MCAT and score a 29+. The 15% thing isn't true, if 90% of students make A's then 90% make As. only curve comes if the final avg. is below an 85 which hasn't happened yet surprisingly...

Thanks for your input.

I'm just a details person. I "get it". Doesn't mean I don't understand this this is a waiting game, or understand that I could easily get a rejection letter. But I digress.

I'm just a details person. I "get it". Doesn't mean I don't understand this this is a waiting game, or understand that I could easily get a rejection letter. But I digress.
I feel you! That's why I appreciated his/her comment. It was something I needed to hear as I've been getting too caught up in the details and the what ifs. Best of luck to all of us!

Hi Everyone,
I was hoping if a current student or prospective student could tell me how long our essays for the application for the masters in medical science should be. I am reviewing and making my final touches to the essays before submitting my application but I do not know what the standard essay length they are expecting applicants should at least have?