UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my app said "currently under review" since march 18th and changed today to congrats! etc

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
my app said "currently under review" since march 18th and changed today to congrats! etc

Yayayayay! It will be a while for me. My app wasn't complete until the end of Feb and it still says received.

Congrats! When was your app complete and shown as received? If you could share your stats that would be great too! No biggy if not
I submitted my app on 1/14 and I think sometime around early March, the portal said my application was complete. My stats were 3.5sGPA, 3.5 cGPA and a 502 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the same message I have on my portal as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I called about this and they said they are trying to get that taken off the portal. there's nothing else they could tell me besides my app was complete, so I wouldn't bother them if your portal says this. Just be patient and wait for your decision :)

Yayayayay! It will be a while for me. My app wasn't complete until the end of Feb and it still says received.

Same here! Complete 2/18 and it says "received" still. Guess we have to be patient! :)

Reactions: 1 users
GPA over the most recent 60 hours is one of the most heavily weighed stats on the application as it tends to indicate what kind of trend you are on when compared to your overall GPA... in most cases it also includes the majority of your upper division science courses if youre a bio major which many applicants are. I'm a previous medsci/current med student and this info is from when I met with the MedSci program director a little over 1 year ago.

This program recognizes that a student 3.7 gpa over the last 60 hours, a 3.3 overall GPA, and a 30 on their MCAT (old scale obviously) is a capable student that had a rough start to undergrad but will likely get screened out by med schools due primarily to the lower cGPA. For these students, MedSci is the perfect way to both increase their overall GPA, but also prove to AdComs that their lower cGPA is not truly reflective of their capability. I cant tell you how many of my classmates had a scenario similar to this.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the program, it makes sense to accept students like this. Their goal is to accept students that they believe will appeal to med schools and eventually succeed once they are there... but need just one final push on their app to get them there. Additionally, they realize that students excelling in their most recent 60 hours, again... probably your upper division science courses, will have a higher chance of succeeding in MedSci itself than someone struggling to make A's in their undergrad bio courses.

Oh bummer :( thanks for the information. If I enroll at a university and retake some classes, do you think improve my chances next year or will they only look at last 60hrs of undergrad?

Congrats to everyone accepted so far! Good luck!

Yeah submitted on 2/2 and still showing "received." I'm guessing we're in the next batch. Congratulations to those that were accepted!

I submitted my app on 1/14 and I think sometime around early March, the portal said my application was complete. My stats were 3.5sGPA, 3.5 cGPA and a 502 MCAT.
Did your status change from received to Congratulations? I submitted mine the day before and have very similar stats.

Did your status change from received to Congratulations? I submitted mine the day before and have very similar stats.
Ah! I give up! I submitted on dec 16th, 3.9 gpa , mcat 500 but no email!!

Dont give up hope. my friend who was accepted about 2 years ago( withdrew before start) had a 3.4 cGPA and 26/27 mcat

Got accepted, look forward to working with you all! So who needs a roommate? haha

Accepted today as well! Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted, and good luck to those who have yet to hear!

Does anyone know the end date of the program?

Congrats to all those accepted!

Mr TM,

I also applied to their general masters in case I did not make it into this MedSci. Do you know by chance if they send out acceptances for those at relatively the same time? I'm getting anxious like all my fellow posters here.
thanks again and you're great! :)

No idea about the other programs.

Accepted today as well! Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted, and good luck to those who have yet to hear!

Med Sci typically ends early May.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on your acceptance! Would you mind sharing your app complete date and stats?

Has anyone else logged on the UNT hsc page and their application says "your application has been reviewed" but hasn't heard back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone else logged on the UNT hsc page and their application says "your application has been reviewed" but hasn't heard back?

Mine is still showing received, but I wasn't complete until the end of Feb.

Has anyone who applied in February heard back yet?

I was complete 2/8 and mine still shows "your application has been received." I'm thinking that late January/early February is probably the next batch to be reviewed and decided, hopefully within the next week or so. My boss would love to know sooner rather than later if I'll be resigning to do this program lol

Has anyone who applied in February heard back yet?
No, not yet. I submitted my app on 12/28 but all the supporting documents were not sent until the end of Feb

I was complete 2/8 and mine still shows "your application has been received." I'm thinking that late January/early February is probably the next batch to be reviewed and decided, hopefully within the next week or so. My boss would love to know sooner rather than later if I'll be resigning to do this program lol
Haha I'm in the exact same situation except in this case my boss is also my dad. Can't wait to find out something.

I submitted mine in March and my status has been "your application has been reviewed" since Monday. So doesn't seem like they are reviewing chronologically.

I submitted my application on December 19th and it still states "your application has been received"

Same boat. Mine on december 16th.
I submitted mine 1-13, when I emailed them asking why I hadn't been reviewed yet they told me it was the date once they received all the supporting documents. Also my portal says that it has been received but they told me it was under review when I contacted admissions.

I submitted mine 1-13, when I emailed them asking why I hadn't been reviewed yet they told me it was the date once they received all the supporting documents. Also my portal says that it has been received but they told me it was under review when I contacted admissions.

I see. I sent everything before submitting my app though so it was completed dec 16th.

I still don't have a PIN or ID to check my status in the portal. I was told there are about 50 other applicants in my position.
Have you had any updates on this? I've called so many times in the past and I feel like I have zero chance since my application would have technically been one of the last ones to be complete

Application still says "completed", slowly dying from anxiety lol
Any updates this week on acceptances? I just got off the phone with their front office and apparently they can accept people up to and a few days after the start of the program. :shrug:

Application still says "completed", slowly dying from anxiety lol
Any updates this week on acceptances? I just got off the phone with their front office and apparently they can accept people up to and a few days after the start of the program. :shrug:
Same here. I will be without a job come June so I am stressing out. I emailed today and they didn't really tell me much other than what has been stated through out the thread. I submitted my app on Dec. 27th but a transcript being lost in the mail by TCC delayed my processing for a whole month. Still says "received" but not reviewed.

Also emailed today and all they could say was that my app was completed, which means it was sent to the adcom. But my status still says complete, not under review yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,
I received my BS in Biology with a 2.8 GPA and a 520 MCAT. I was looking to attending UNTHSC to see if it would open up a door to attending medical school.
I'm a bit concerned that my poor GPA might break me when applying to UNT.
Has anyone had a similar experience? or could give me their opinion on my odds of getting into UNT?

Been lurking on the forum for a few months, got my acceptance email last Wednesday so I figured I would share my stats. uGPA 3.3, last 60 hours ~3.5, GRE Scores: verbal 159, math 156. I didn't take the MCAT because I applied to the program with intentions of attending PA school. Just my 2 cents to everybody asking for others stats, etc... GPA and test scores definitely are not the only things that will get you in (look at me!). The previous/current students posting on here were spot on when they said the AdCom looks at your entire application.

Anybody else on here applying to Medsci for PA school??

Hello everyone,
I received my BS in Biology with a 2.8 GPA and a 520 MCAT. I was looking to attending UNTHSC to see if it would open up a door to attending medical school.
I'm a bit concerned that my poor GPA might break me when applying to UNT.
Has anyone had a similar experience? or could give me their opinion on my odds of getting into UNT?
I think you have to have at least a 3.0 to apply to the program! I would take classes at a local university or community college to bring that up to a 3.0 and then apply!

My app has been marked as reviewed for a week now & I still haven't heard from them. Does anyone know if they respond no matter if you get in or not?

My app has been marked as reviewed for a week now & I still haven't heard from them. Does anyone know if they respond no matter if you get in or not?

According to last year thread they do send you an email to let you know if you are not accepted. Did you try to call and ask them what it means?

Has anybody been waitlisted? Or heard anything this week?

According to last year thread they do send you an email to let you know if you are not accepted. Did you try to call and ask them what it means?

Called last week but the lady wasn't very helpful. She said it means it's reviewed, but she's not sure how long it'll take for me to hear back.

Does anyone have any insight on the summer schedule for the program? Specifically wednesdays for summer semester

I heard some people got their acceptance two weeks before the program started last year. I hope I'll find out soon...I don't live close to Fort Worth

Called today and was informed that my application will be reviewed asap. I asked if being on the waitlist would be indicated on the application portal and she said it wouldn't. So..... here is my opinion. I'm a student at UNT in Denton and know a few of my peers that have been accepted, some submitted soon before the app closed. If you haven't heard by now, you're probably on the waitlist and will remain there until the day the term begins in May unless someone declines their acceptance sooner and you happen to be the first in the waitlist line. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Called today and was informed that my application will be reviewed asap. I asked if being on the waitlist would be indicated on the application portal and she said it wouldn't. So..... here is my opinion. I'm a student at UNT in Denton and know a few of my peers that have been accepted, some submitted soon before the app closed. If you haven't heard by now, you're probably on the waitlist and will remain there until the day the term begins in May unless someone declines their acceptance sooner and you happen to be the first in the waitlist line. Just my two cents.

When did you apply and when was your app complete? My app still says received and does not say reviewed, and I was complete at the end of February. I do not know how your friends got reviewed so quickly if they applied right before the deadline. It makes me think that they did go out of order. I figured if they had went through all of the apps, they would already have a Facebook group that has a lot of students, but I am not finding one.

Last edited: