UNTHSC MS Med Sci Program 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha thanks for the stats and info man, Hoping Im not too far behind ya, I think I had gotten my waitlist email around the same time as you so here's to hoping for a call tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance email shortly after the call and saw this little tidbit was in there....

"Please note that, for the first time this year, we are assessing a $2000 technology fee for incoming students in the specialized MS programs. With payment of this fee, you will be issued a 13” MacBook Pro Retina with the following specs: 128GB solid state drive, 8 GB memory, 3.5. lbs., 7-9 hour batter life, USB, HDMI, and Thunderbolt ports. You will also receive an iPad Mini 16GB with WiFi capability. These devices are yours to keep; however, the fee is non-refundable should you leave the program for any reason."

Got my acceptance email shortly after the call and saw this little tidbit was in there....

"Please note that, for the first time this year, we are assessing a $2000 technology fee for incoming students in the specialized MS programs. With payment of this fee, you will be issued a 13” MacBook Pro Retina with the following specs: 128GB solid state drive, 8 GB memory, 3.5. lbs., 7-9 hour batter life, USB, HDMI, and Thunderbolt ports. You will also receive an iPad Mini 16GB with WiFi capability. These devices are yours to keep; however, the fee is non-refundable should you leave the program for any reason."

That's pretty sweet. Does the fee match up with how much those two retail? Or is UNT tryna make a few dem dolla dolla bills, y'all?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty sweet. Does the fee match up with how much those two retail? Or is UNT tryna make a few dem dolla dolla bills, y'all?

Haha, I think it's about a $1500 computer, plus a $400ish iPad... so pretty close at least. Apparently it's going to come loaded with software needed for classes and we will even take some tests on it (according to the Facebook group)

Damn dude nice!! This is only going to make my anxiety even worse tomorrow lol

Just got the call from Amanda, I got in!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! I was waitlisted May 8th. GL to all of you guys still on the waitlist!!

If anyone on the wait list has any questions about orientation, updated tuition and fees, required shots, health insurance, etc let me know. They have all of that information posted on the FB page and I wish I would had known about it sooner.

and congratulations jmc3589, did you actually pickup the phone and not make my mistake? haha

Haha yea I did! I let it ring for a bit but when I saw unknown on my phone I literally dove for it and answered lol

If anyone on the wait list has any questions about orientation, updated tuition and fees, required shots, health insurance, etc let me know. They have all of that information posted on the FB page and I wish I would had known about it sooner.

and congratulations jmc3589, did you actually pickup the phone and not make my mistake? haha

Hello, I was actually put on the wait list on May 8th as well. Can you tell me about the updated full tuition and fees, including the Macbook Pro deal you were speaking of earlier? I have not been able to fill out the FAFSA so I don't know if financial aid is still a possibility.

Here are some documents for ya'll to look at

Attachments

• 2013_14.UNTHSC.Pricing_Guide.pdf
    64.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 2013_598_3_Brochure_v3_NOC2.pdf
    164.3 KB · Views: 112
  • GSBS Specialized MS Summer 2014 Calendar 5.7.14.pdf
    116.2 KB · Views: 131
  • GSBS_Med Sci Costs 2014-2015.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Textbooks.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 110
Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted as well on may 8th! so hopefully I get in soon! :)!

Reactions: 2 users
I've been complete since December, waitlisted on May 8th as well. More than 5 months of waiting and still nothingggg....I really truly hope that everyone who is waitlisted gets in! It's amazing how supportive and wonderful everyone has been on this form!

I wonder how many people are on the waitlist...

More so, I wonder how many people are still ahead of me. Received my email on May 8 at 3:32pm. Would anyone else like to post their email time to compare? Maybe there's a correlation-Jessica did tell me yesterday that there was a specific order.

Likely giving up my spot. Hope one of you benefit. Best of luck :)

I'm probably giving up my spot too. Does anyone know the protocol to do this?
--nevermind got it done. Hope the spot goes to one of you!

Last edited:
What are people's reasons for giving up spots? did you guys get accepted into a better program or do you just not find it necessary for your apps? Let me know, I'm quite curious :)

Silentshadow59 for me personally, I don't feel like it would help my app for this cycle and it's very expensive. I am reapplying this year and the application is open now, so I really won't reap the benefits of the program until the end. By that time, it's too late to show on the app, unless I took a second year off which I really don't want to do. I also JUST graduated from UT on saturday and we start on Wednesday; frankly my brain and my body need a break. I am also on a waitlist at UT Houston which could move anywhere from today to the day before the first day of class and it would be frustrating (and costly!) to be midway in this program and leaving. For me, the reasoning is multifactorial and luckily I have a great support system who support my decision to take a year off and focus on my reapplication. I do think it's a great program though and wish you all the best

Silentshadow59 for me personally, I don't feel like it would help my app for this cycle and it's very expensive. I am reapplying this year and the application is open now, so I really won't reap the benefits of the program until the end. By that time, it's too late to show on the app, unless I took a second year off which I really don't want to do. I also JUST graduated from UT on saturday and we start on Wednesday; frankly my brain and my body need a break. I am also on a waitlist at UT Houston which could move anywhere from today to the day before the first day of class and it would be frustrating (and costly!) to be midway in this program and leaving. For me, the reasoning is multifactorial and luckily I have a great support system who support my decision to take a year off and focus on my reapplication. I do think it's a great program though and wish you all the best

What is the protocol to forfeit your spot? I submitted an email to Jessica, but unsure if that's the right thing to do.

What is the protocol to forfeit your spot? I submitted an email to Jessica, but unsure if that's the right thing to do.
I called the registrar's office 817-735-2201 and just said I wanted to withdraw my seat. Do it asap because they're registering for classes very soon and it will be harder to get your financial aid settled and all that.

Thank you for the help. I tried calling, no body picked up though. I'll give them a call tomorrow morning to take care of this. Thanks again!

I wonder what will happen if they accept people after the orientation.
Jessica and another person from admissions told me that they are striving to finalize the enrollment before orientation. So there may not be wait-listed applicants accepted after today. It's really unfortunate.

Jessica and another person from admissions told me that they are striving to finalize the enrollment before orientation. So there may not be wait-listed applicants accepted after today. It's really unfortunate.
Oh that's sad, but on the facebook group there are only 170 people. I hope we hear back today!

omg, this is so scary! I truly hope we all get in!! I thought they ran the wait list up till the day they start, on the 27th! Thinking that today might be the last day we get in is scary!!

I just got this email form Jessica concerning those who, like me, are still on the wait list and afraid that after today, they cannot be accepted.

"We’ll provide information from the orientation to you so that you have all the information you need......It is possible [to be accepted after tomorrow] but usually we don’t lose people between orientation & the start of classes. We will let you all know when we are no longer able to offer seats."

So there's still hope! Let's keep praying about it, stay positive! :)

Reactions: 1 users
that's nice to hear! The thing we don't know is how many people have officially accepted their seats and how many seats they have left! That is true that it is unlikely that they lose people between orientation and the start of classes. fingers crossed for people that are waitlisted!

Congrats to those accepted! Wish you all the best of luck :)

How is the financial aid situation looking, for you guys? Any grant opportunities?

Several people received a $2000 grant that was split between the 3 semesters. Lots of students rooming together to save on housing costs. The COA for that was 18k. I think total COA was 43k and 63k for IS and OOS, respectively. Lots of student loans I'm thinking.

Several people received a $2000 grant that was split between the 3 semesters. Lots of students rooming together to save on housing costs. The COA for that was 18k. I think total COA was 43k and 63k for IS and OOS, respectively. Lots of student loans I'm thinking.
How is the total COA 43k for In-state? I thought the program cost was about 13k and then about 10k for living expenses for the 3 semesters. Where does the extra 20k come from?

I think that coa is if you have a family. Because I'm single, Instate and plan to live comfortably. I have my own place no roommates. My coa is around 27k. So.. 40k is kinda crazy.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1401216969.557790.jpg

I think that coa is if you have a family. Because I'm single, Instate and plan to live comfortably. I have my own place no roommates. My coa is around 27k. So.. 40k is kinda crazy.

You'd be surprised how quick expenses can get you. Reminder for everyone to account for interview attire and travel. Good luck with medsci and do great in biostats. It's deceivingly difficult if you let it.

FYI for those that are looking to drop Biostats with a W, you have until tomorrrow to do it. If you drop you'd have to retake Biostats online next summer.

FYI for those that are looking to drop Biostats with a W, you have until tomorrrow to do it. If you drop you'd have to retake Biostats online next summer.

Is Biostats an online class? Also, did you guys hear anything about matriculation rates or any info at all as of yet? Im thinking about applying next cycle.

Biostats isn't online. We have class 3x a week and the class is mandatory. I haven't heard of an online option but if it's for people who failed or are failing then I suppose I wouldn't have heard about it

Alright team, who has or has had IIs so far?

question; how does this SMP treat international students?

Last edited:
question; how does this SMP treat international students?

I don't think any of the med sci this year are international students. Not sure if that's because they didn't apply or were outcompeted. It seems like they would be welcoming though. I'm sure they've accepted international students before. I vaguely recall seeing information about international students somewhere on the site.

I talked to derrick and he told me not to worry if you have not received an ii so far. He said they usually interview a big batch towards the end of the fall semester and again in the spring semester. There will be some ppl who will interview between the big batches but he said that selection is completely random. He described the process like they have decided who they are going to interview and are waiting to get all the OOS applicants over and if there is room for a particular interview date then they will randomly select from the pool of med scis they have already decided to interview.
But to answer your question I know of someone who interviewed back in september but they didnt do the MCAT prep course. I haven't personally heard of anyone who was in the MCAT prep course having interviewed already.