UNTHSC MS Med Sci Program 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Former and current MedScis: There's going to be differing opinions here, but what's been the most difficult class for you? What's been the "easiest" class?

My most difficult was physiology. Luckily I made an A but I worked really hard for it. My easiest was biochemistry since I just like it for some reason. The course I underestimated the most would probably be biostats. The course I enjoyed most was anatomy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, not a problem.

Undergrad Cumulative: 3.68
Undergrad Science: 3.65
MCAT: 21 and 32
Med Sci GPA: 4.0

I'll be at y'all's orientation on the 21st during lunch if y'all get accepted to the program and would like to talk.

Did you get that 32 after enrolling in the program? With those stats and that 32 MCAT, it doesn't seem like you even needed this program...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get that 32 after enrolling in the program? With those stats and that 32 MCAT, it doesn't seem like you even needed this program...?

I applied and got into the MedSci program with a 21 (so if y'all have low MCAT scores don't get discouraged) and retook my MCAT two weeks before the MedSci program started. I didn't want to do nothing for a year and honestly wasn't expecting a 32. I also felt that this program would better prepare me for my first year of medical school.

You have all been very helpful, thanks a lot! I hope we hear good news tomorrow.

I applied and got into the MedSci program with a 21 (so if y'all have low MCAT scores don't get discouraged) and retook my MCAT two weeks before the MedSci program started. I didn't want to do nothing for a year and honestly wasn't expecting a 32. I also felt that this program would better prepare me for my first year of medical school.

good improvement on your MCAT. What did you change or improve to increase your score? more practice test? prep coarse? etc?

good improvement on your MCAT. What did you change or improve to increase your score? more practice test? prep coarse? etc?

The first time I took it I didn't study at all, which was obviously a poor choice haha. The second time I took a Princeton class (which is what y'all can/will take in Med Sci). I followed the rank the passage format for verbal, did every problem in the science workbook and verbal workbook, and made my own study sheets for each chapter of each section. I only took three practice tests right at the beginning of my studying. I highly advise against that. Definitely take more throughout your studies. The teachers that teach the MCAT class here are awesome (I was in the class for about a month). They make the material super easy to remember and give great notes.

Reactions: 1 users
The first time I took it I didn't study at all, which was obviously a poor choice haha. The second time I took a Princeton class (which is what y'all can/will take in Med Sci). I followed the rank the passage format for verbal, did every problem in the science workbook and verbal workbook, and made my own study sheets for each chapter of each section. I only took three practice tests right at the beginning of my studying. I highly advise against that. Definitely take more throughout your studies. The teachers that teach the MCAT class here are awesome (I was in the class for about a month). They make the material super easy to remember and give great notes.

Good to know (if I happen to get in). I actually registered for a Kaplan coarse but if the MedSci is pretty good may need to reconsider!

Best wishes to you! And thank you for your response.

Good to know (if I happen to get in). I actually registered for a Kaplan coarse but if the MedSci is pretty good may need to reconsider!

Best wishes to you! And thank you for your response.
Has anyone heard anything today?

No. I just called Jessica a little while ago and she said that application decisions are normally on Fridays but that they can be anytime during the week. I submitted my application in November and apparently it has already been reviewed but they have not made a decision on it yet. Whatever that means.

Nope, not over here. It's incredibly frustrating, because regardless of whether I get accepted or not, I'd like to at least know what I'll be doing for the following year, y'know?

Nope, not over here. It's incredibly frustrating, because regardless of whether I get accepted or not, I'd like to at least know what I'll be doing for the following year, y'know?

Especially if it's the only program one has applied for.

Especially if it's the only program one has applied for.
That's true haha. I currently work in a research lab, and my boss said I could stay on for the following year, if I don't get into this program. I do have a backup plan, at least, but at the same time I'd like to figure out what I'm doing next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they anticipate being done with reviews? Or when they will start a waitlist? Thanks

Anyone know when they anticipate being done with reviews? Or when they will start a waitlist? Thanks

Well, I was told by Jessica that all acceptances should be sent out by the end of April. I have a feeling that's not the case at this point, and acceptances will most likely continue to be sent out in May. And I would assume they would notify us of a waitlist as soon as acceptances are sent out, but again, I'm not sure when that is. :/

No news here either. I spoke with Jessica on Tuesday and she said they should be done with reviews at the end of April. She didn't specify if that range included next Friday, may 2nd. Once they are done sending acceptances the wait list will be sent. She did say that this year they have 200 slots and about 500 applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks. Good luck to everyone else still waiting and hoping for a spot this year!

People that have been accepted where told to respond back by May 2nd and let them know if we will be attending the program. So maybe they are waiting to see how many ppl actually commit to the program and then based on that inviting more people. Maybe this information will help a little?

Reactions: 2 users
I joined SDN mainly to follow this thread/post here.

Looking at the facebook group, there are currently 58 members. I don't think SDN allows you to link to external websites but here's what you can search on Facebook if you want to stay updated: UNTHSC MEDS/CRM/BIOT 2014-15

Last year, there were 189 members on the facebook group.

It helped cheer me up and I hope it does the same for all those that are waiting.

*Static* "day number:forever, still no signs of decisions. The waiting war is becoming increasingly difficult"

I joined SDN mainly to follow this thread/post here.

Looking at the facebook group, there are currently 58 members. I don't think SDN allows you to link to external websites but here's what you can search on Facebook if you want to stay updated: UNTHSC MEDS/CRM/BIOT 2014-15

Last year, there were 189 members on the facebook group.

It helped cheer me up and I hope it does the same for all those that are waiting.

Plus, some of that 58 might be CRM and BIOT, meaning there's even more space in the MEDS program.

The most frustrating part for me is my housing situation. I went apartment hunting in Ft Worth but I won't sign a lease until I know if I'm accepted! Most of the places I liked only had one or two vacancies so I'm sure by the time the admissions committee gives me an answer all of those places will be full.

The most frustrating part for me is my housing situation. I went apartment hunting in Ft Worth but I won't sign a lease until I know if I'm accepted! Most of the places I liked only had one or two vacancies so I'm sure by the time the admissions committee gives me an answer all of those places will be full.

It's sort of the opposite for me. I live about 3 hours from the DFW area, and my landlord is giving me until May 1st to decide if I want to renew my lease or not (full year, July to July) - this, after a couple of weeks of UNT's decision being an excuse for me not deciding yet. Needless to say, the pressure is on - and I don't think we'll find out by May 1st lol.

And if I DO renew my lease, I'm stuck in a crap cycle if UNT accepts me like, days after the fact.

Whatever the decision may be, they still should give students at least one month's time to plan for living situations. I have been playing this waiting game for almost 6 months now. I understand that they do not review until all apps are turned in by March 15th but still. The waiting drives you insane. When I talked to Jessica she said there is less faculty and what have you, but making someone wait like this is cruel.

Whatever the decision may be, they still should give students at least one month's time to plan for living situations. I have been playing this waiting game for almost 6 months now. I understand that they do not review until all apps are turned in by March 15th but still. The waiting drives you insane. When I talked to Jessica she said there is less faculty and what have you, but making someone wait like this is cruel.

Considering the program starts in about a month or so, it's really a hassle. I completely agree with you.

Are we going to get a decision by Thursday or Friday? Anyone know?

I spoke with Jessica today and she told me that 50 people have been accepted as of a week and a half ago. I suspect a few more have been accepted since then. I submitted March 12 but had my final document sent in on March 15th and she said they are reviewing applications daily and generally sending out decisions on Friday. Basically we just need to wait till we get a decision. She didn't know if my application had been reviewed or not but that if it had been reviewed and didn't receive a decision yet, they aren't sure what to do with app (waitlist, etc.). I'm hoping they just haven't gotten to my application yet and will hear something this friday. Nonetheless, it gives me hope since there are still probably 100+ spots left for us!

Reactions: 3 users
Would be nice to know something by end of this week or next week so I can put in a 2 weeks notice at my job (if accepted) :xf:

Does anyone know the number of people that were denied acceptance and are no longer in the running?

I think more people will hear something this coming Friday. Jessica did say that the committee has recently picked up the pace on reviewing apps and are reviewing everyday and finalizing on Fridays. I also don't think you get silently rejected. Jessica said I would receive an email regarding the decision.

I got an email today (4/30) at 6:10pm with my acceptance!

I submitted my application March 10th, with my last document officially received around March 17th, if that helps any. Good luck to everyone else, and see y'all in a month or so! :)

I got an email today (4/30) at 6:10pm with my acceptance!

I submitted my application March 10th, with my last document officially received around March 17th, if that helps any. Good luck to everyone else, and see y'all in a month or so! :)
Oh that's exciting!!! I know they are reviewing based on when payment was received/app submitted and not necessarily when complete. I submitted March 12 so hopefully hear something soon!! Do you mind sharing your stats?Much appreciated!

Oh that's exciting!!! I know they are reviewing based on when payment was received/app submitted and not necessarily when complete. I submitted March 12 so hopefully hear something soon!! Do you mind sharing your stats?Much appreciated!

Not at all! I currently have a 3.3 cGPA, and an MCAT score of 26. I'm sure you'll hear something very soon, good luck! :)

I just got accepted today through email as well. I am pre-dental though, and was wondering if anyone knew how successful this program is for helping students get into dental school?

got email today cgpa 3.4 mcat is 30, submitted everything like 1 day before deadline, hope to see more of u noobs there

I just got accepted today through email as well. I am pre-dental though, and was wondering if anyone knew how successful this program is for helping students get into dental school?

Just curious what your stats were. I am wondering if anyone has been accepted with an MCAT below 26. Then I wouldn't feel so defeated...just getting to know the competition.
My stats:
cGPA 3.3
MCAT-22.

Just curious what your stats were. I am wondering if anyone has been accepted with an MCAT below 26. Then I wouldn't feel so defeated...just getting to know the competition.
My stats:
cGPA 3.3
MCAT-22.

yea.. that'ts what I am wondering, I have not been denied yet, but my MCAT has been lower then anyone who has shared their stats. :(

The UNtHSC website states that MCAT scores under 20 are not considered competitive. Not quite sure how that factors into acceptances though.

Last edited:
The UNtHSC website states that MCAT scores under 20 are not considered competitive. Not quite sure what that factors into acceptances though.

Still, this program is built upon helping students into med school even if they have a low mcat. Since there is a thorough course for it they offer. Seems you can still be accepted if your other stats offset it.

I can tell you that I got accepted into medsci with a low 20s mcat as well as many other people. Not sure how that will pertain to this year though.

Been lurking around here a ton, figured it's about time to contribute. Received an acceptance to the GSBS medsci program today, it's a huge relief for me!

3.4 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA (when I was a business major my GPA was not nearly as important for hiring companies so I, uh, sort of neglected this)
30 and 36 MCAT
800+ hours working as an ophthalmologist's assistant
Got my bachelors in Business Administration(focus in Information Technology) in 2012, been working in healthcare consulting and search analysis for the last few years
Got ZERO interviews from TMDSAS schools this cycle (I really think I screwed something up here? My application was pretty much the same as my AMCAS app), interviewed and currently waitlisted at Baylor and a few out of state private schools. I am a Texas resident.

Can't wait to see some of you at orientation, thanks for being so helpful in the thread!

Edit to add: submitted my app on the day of the deadline, but they did not confirm receipt of all my materials until about 2 weeks afterwards. I had mailed in my MCAT scores earlier, but my app read as incomplete all the way into April, when I called and Ms. Jessica Brewer told me to email the score report directly.