UNTHSC MS Med Sci Program 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright, I got a rejection letter at 3:15, which means it's good news for the rest of you! (I think?)

Aw Dude, I'm sorry. You're the most optimistic person and really kept this thread going.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, I got a rejection letter at 3:15, which means it's good news for the rest of you! (I think?)

Sorry to hear man :(, best of luck to you and keep chasing that dream!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys and gals,

I've been silently watching this thread for a couple months now.
However, I received my ACCEPTANCE e-mail today around 2:30pm.
I just wanted to share my stats with ya'll and let you know you can't ever give up till you are told no.

My stats:
Completed: Mid-January (I actually called last week and Jessica told me my application had been reviewed and put on hold)
Gpa when application completed: High 3.3 finished with a 3.410
MCAT: 21

Just for everyone's information, in case you are anxiously waiting in limbo.

The statistical criteria on which they review applicants are as follows:

MCAT
cumulative GPA
Most recent 60 hours GPA (this is straight from jessica). Not many people have mentioned this when they discuss their undergrad statistics, but if you are wondering why you haven't been accepted, this is a possible cause.

Additionally, they do not evaluate science GPA as a separate entity.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey I hope this doesn't sound selfish of me. I'm still waiting and I was wondering what your stats are if you didn't mind sharing. It would just let me know if maybe I'm next up at the chopping block.

Also a side appreciation for everyone who has shared stats! They are soothing.

Congratulations!
If you don't mind, Stats and the completion date of your app?
Sure. I completed my application in December.
MCAT: 28
CGPA: 3.2
SGPA: 2.8
I had some pretty good ECs and rec letters as well.

Sorry to hear that. I was rejected the year before last and decided to take advantage of the application review.

It was very informative. I am applying again this year after working on a few things. Not rejected yet, still have my fingers crossed.

Keep pushing. This is coming from a 30+ single mom career changer so if you want it bad enough you will find a way. And there is more than one way!

Best wishes.

I just wanted to share my stats with ya'll and let you know you can't ever give up till you are told no.

As mentioned by @tylerf19, it's more than just stats. I bet your application rocked!

MCAT: 28
GPA: 3.7
Maybe my LOR's are "pooey" and my EC aren't good enough? :unsure:

Did those accepted send in your resume? I didn't and I don't know if I should have. Maybe it will help expedite their decision.

Last edited:
Aw Dude, I'm sorry. You're the most optimistic person and really kept this thread going.

Sorry to hear man :(, best of luck to you and keep chasing that dream!!

Sorry to hear that. I was rejected the year before last and decided to take advantage of the application review.

It was very informative. I am applying again this year after working on a few things. Not rejected yet, still have my fingers crossed.

Keep pushing. This is coming from a 30+ single mom career changer so if you want it bad enough you will find a way. And there is more than one way!

Best wishes.

No worries! I was accepted into a similar program at Texas A&M, so I'm not totally twiddling my thumbs for a whole year or so. I'll might still lurk this thread though, just to see how the class turns out.

Regardless, I hope you guys all get in. I wish the road didn't have to be so hard (and so darned expensive!) but it'll all pay off.

@NyWood: What did you do for a living, before you decided you wanted to pursue becoming a physician? Just curious - you don't have to answer if you don't want to!

However, I received my ACCEPTANCE e-mail today around 2:30pm.

My stats:
Completed: Mid-January (I actually called last week and Jessica told me my application had been reviewed and put on hold)
Gpa when application completed: High 3.3 finished with a 3.410
MCAT: 21

Congrats on the acceptance!

Just for everyone's information, in case you are anxiously waiting in limbo.

The statistical criteria on which they review applicants are as follows:

MCAT
cumulative GPA
Most recent 60 hours GPA (this is straight from jessica). Not many people have mentioned this when they discuss their undergrad statistics, but if you are wondering why you haven't been accepted, this is a possible cause.

Additionally, they do not evaluate science GPA as a separate entity.

That sGPA thing is good to know - mine was pretty bad (which is why I needed a program like this!)

Hey I hope this doesn't sound selfish of me. I'm still waiting and I was wondering what your stats are if you didn't mind sharing. It would just let me know if maybe I'm next up at the chopping block.

Also a side appreciation for everyone who has shared stats! They are soothing.

Not a problem!

GPA: 3.06
MCAT: 24

Worked as a medical assistant of sorts in a Dermatologist's office from Aug '12 to May '13. Shadowed physicians and volunteered, here and there.

What are your stats?

No worries! I was accepted into a similar program at Texas A&M, so I'm not totally twiddling my thumbs for a whole year or so. I'll might still lurk this thread though, just to see how the class turns out.

Regardless, I hope you guys all get in. I wish the road didn't have to be so hard (and so darned expensive!) but it'll all pay off.

@NyWood: What did you do for a living, before you decided you wanted to pursue becoming a physician? Just curious - you don't have to answer if you don't want to!

That sGPA thing is good to know - mine was pretty bad (which is why I needed a program like this!)

Not a problem!

Worked as a medical assistant of sorts in a Dermatologist's office from Aug '12 to May '13. Shadowed physicians and volunteered, here and there.

What are your stats?

I have a 3.4 and a 22. Great LOCs, essays (in my opinion), and ECs (including experience as a scribe and shadowing).

@NyWood What did you do for a living, before you decided you wanted to pursue becoming a physician? Just curious - you don't have to answer if you don't want to!

I was a systems engineer for a defense contractor for about 9+ years. My first degree was in information systems.

Hello! I got my acceptance letter yesterday and I'm so excited to start! Like everyone else here, I just want to say to those with low stats to not give up! As for my stats, I have a 3.2 gpa and a 28 MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only am I anticipating my MCAT score today, but also heard back from Jessica that my app was sent late last week and I will be hearing soon! Anxiety peaking!

Just FYI I got a financial aid package email today if anyone was wondering when to expect those to go out.

I have an update from Jessica. There are 115 spots that are 100% taken. 50 people have yet to accept their offer. They will accept a little more than 200 (no specifics). Lastly, there are 150 people remaining who are still being considered or, like me, have not even made it to being reviewed. She did say that there are a quite a few who's applications haven't even made it to review. A waitlist will start soon. At this point there is still no idea as to when all of the madness will stop.
So if you haven't heard back it is about a 1 out of 4 chance to get in. 203-(115+50(assuming all accept))=38
150:38= 3.94:1

Hey guys, I was accepted to the program today. I'm currently between this and the program at TouroCOM in NY. I'll be coming from California and was wondering if anyone knew if there's an advantage to matriculating into the program for Texas medical schools or if I will still be considered a non-resident for this application cycle. Anyone from California in the program?

Just FYI I got a financial aid package email today if anyone was wondering when to expect those to go out.

What's the cost of attendance? And did you get anything besides loan help? Like grants, scholarships, etc.? Even though I'm not attending, it's good to compare the COA to other programs.

Last edited:
Does the application status actually change to "reviewed"? Mine still says "received/complete", its kind of scary to think you have not even been looked at and there are over 200 people left with only a few spots... :(

I don't even think I have anymore anxiety left, at this point nothing really to do but keep dealing with the rest of life and respond according when that email comes.. I guess whatever happens happens...

Just received my rejection. It would have been nicer if they had told me this earlier, like before I ended my lease. It is time to quite my job and really grind, especially on Verbal reasoning. I wish you all the best of luck. My pursuit ends here for now. :confused:

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was accepted to the program today. I'm currently between this and the program at TouroCOM in NY. I'll be coming from California and was wondering if anyone knew if there's an advantage to matriculating into the program for Texas medical schools or if I will still be considered a non-resident for this application cycle. Anyone from California in the program?

Think you have to work in TX to be considered a resident. You all will have a panel of admissions officers speak with you during the summer. It was composed of UTSW, TXA&M, TCOM, caribbean school, LECOM FL. TCOM, caribbean, and LECOM pretty much said the program would help for this cycle while UTSW and A&M said the program would provide full benefit for next cycle. I think the answer to your question though is that you'll probably be considered non TX resident...I think.

Think you have to work in TX to be considered a resident. You all will have a panel of admissions officers speak with you during the summer. It was composed of UTSW, TXA&M, TCOM, caribbean school, LECOM FL. TCOM, caribbean, and LECOM pretty much said the program would help for this cycle while UTSW and A&M said the program would provide full benefit for next cycle. I think the answer to your question though is that you'll probably be considered non TX resident...I think.
Thanks. That's the impression I'm getting from all the previous posts as well. I'll be looking into it tomorrow, however will most likely be giving up my seat to one of you guys waiting.

What's the cost of attendance? And did you get anything besides loan help? Like grants, scholarships, etc.? Even though I'm not attending, it's good to compare the COA to other programs.
I got one $2,000 grant, the rest are loans...total COA $22,500. Hope this helps

To lyfe823, I think being in Texas is better. You are considered a resident after living one year here and we have more public schools than NY. Therefore more chances to get into a public medical school that would be cheaper than going out of state. Plus Texas schools tend to pick their residents over out-of-staters. I think the percentage is ridiculously high like over 85? Don't quote me on that but it is high.

To lyfe823, I think being in Texas is better. You are considered a resident after living one year here and we have more public schools than NY. Therefore more chances to get into a public medical school that would be cheaper than going out of state. Plus Texas schools tend to pick their residents over out-of-staters. I think the percentage is ridiculously high like over 85? Don't quote me on that but it is high.

90% in-state, 10% OOS

Okay, I am pre-dental and as backup plan since I was wait listed at a couple schools I applied to this program back around the deadline in mid March. However because of spring break, my transcripts and DAT scores were way late. Discouraged, I stop following up on my app, however to my surprise this morning, I was accepted. As great as is program is, I was able to get off one of my dental school's waitlist last week, so I will be declining. Hope one of you hopefuls get a spot.

Reactions: 4 users
I thought you're a Texas resident after living in Texas for one year while not in school? I may be wrong though

Determination of Residence Status
A. The following persons shall be classified as Texas residents and entitled to pay resident tuition:

1. a person who:
a. graduated from a public or accredited private high school in this state or received the equivalent of a high school
diploma in this state, and
b. maintained a residence continuously in this state for
(i) the thirty-six months immediately preceding the date of graduation or receipt of the diploma equivalent, as
applicable; and
(ii) the 12 months preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution
(Note: An individual who is neither a US citizen nor permanent resident must complete and submit the Residency Affidavit).

2. a person who: a. established a domicile in this state not less than 12 months before the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution; and
b. maintained a residence continuously in the state for the 12 months immediately preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution.

3. a dependent whose parent:
a. established a domicile in this state not less than 12 months before the census date of the academic semester in
which the person enrolls in an institution; and
b. maintained a residence continuously in the state for the 12 months immediately preceding the census date of the
academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution

SOURCE: http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/future/residency

Congrats again to those who have been accepted!! And truly best of luck to those who were not (y'all got this). :D

So I just spoke with Derrick Smith (I believe that's his name). He says they're hoping to completely finish reviewing applications by next Friday. Not sure what that means but my guess is that wait-listing starts next week. Does anyone know when the program itself actually starts?

Admin of the fb group said they'll be releasing unclaimed seats on Monday

Still no email. Guess I have to stay hopeful as long as I don't get that rejection letter!

Hey guys.

I just finished the MedSci program. I wanted to let y'all know that last year I felt the exact same way. I was anxious when others started getting accepted and I hadn't heard anything. I had to REPEATEDLY call and follow up on my application before finding out that they had misplaced my application materials! I had to resend everything after the deadline had already passed. Needless to say I was frustrated, but I was immediately accepted the following day. My advice would be to be persistent and patient.

Admissions aside, I had a great experience with the MedSci program. The admin staff are very helpful with questions etc. once you get accepted. Good luck.

I am coming from California and have similar concerns. I am planning on achieving residency while in the program by maintaing a part time job of some sort to average 20 hrs per week (abiding by the Texas law). Planning on applying to med schools next cycle as a Texan resident which means 12 month stint of residency must be by October 1 (the deadline of the application)- so have until then to start working. At least thats what I have gathered from calling.

Acceptance email at 1:49pm
3.8 sgpa, 3.7 cgpa, 28 mcat
Good luck to those who are still waiting!

ACCEPTANCE EMAIL AT 3pm!!!
Screamed and almost in tears. Excited to see everyone there.

Those of you still waiting, DONT GIVE UP HOPE!!!!

Just got my waitlist email a few minutes ago.....

Just got my waitlist email as well :/. Anybody know what the movement is like on the waitlist??

I have an update from Jessica. There are 115 spots that are 100% taken. 50 people have yet to accept their offer. They will accept a little more than 200 (no specifics). Lastly, there are 150 people remaining who are still being considered or, like me, have not even made it to being reviewed. She did say that there are a quite a few who's applications haven't even made it to review. A waitlist will start soon. At this point there is still no idea as to when all of the madness will stop.
So if you haven't heard back it is about a 1 out of 4 chance to get in. 203-(115+50(assuming all accept))=38
150:38= 3.94:1

I finally decided to call today, looks like I am in the group that has not been reviewed yet :(

I'm so sorry to hear that! Like others said, please never give up, I'm sure you're going to make such an amazing physician one day! :)

Not a problem!

What are your stats?

I called Jessica regarding the waitlist movement, she didn't give me any specifics on it. I asked her approximately how many students they waitlist and the general movement, she didn't say much except that people do get in through the waitlist...

I have a question. I'm applying to this program this upcoming fall Summer 2015, and I will also be applying to medical school next summer as well (first time applicant).. does anybody know how the program handles people who need to go on interviews? The timeline I'm looking at is, Starting summer 2015, graduating in May 2016, start medical school August 2016. Does that make sense? I went to a conference in DC, and met with a representative from TCOM, and the way she explained it is this, apply in Summer 2015, and if you don't get in, then apply to the medsci program. She kind of confused me. Do most people apply to this program happen to be reapplicants? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Good luck to all of you.

Nothing here yet either. DIY Post-Bach here I come.

I have a question. I'm applying to this program this upcoming fall Summer 2015, and I will also be applying to medical school next summer as well (first time applicant).. does anybody know how the program handles people who need to go on interviews? The timeline I'm looking at is, Starting summer 2015, graduating in May 2016, start medical school August 2016. Does that make sense? I went to a conference in DC, and met with a representative from TCOM, and the way she explained it is this, apply in Summer 2015, and if you don't get in, then apply to the medsci program. She kind of confused me. Do most people apply to this program happen to be reapplicants? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Good luck to all of you.

I think a good number of applicants applied to medical school during their last year of college, and then follow up with this program if their cycle was unsuccessful. Not to suggest that your plan is unusual - if you have a low GPA/another reason to think you may not be accepted to medical school, doing this during your application year is a great idea. From what I can tell, they encourage people to be interviewing at med schools the year they do this program, so you won't be alone there. I would imagine they are reasonably flexible with interview schedules and tests.

I have a question. I'm applying to this program this upcoming fall Summer 2015, and I will also be applying to medical school next summer as well (first time applicant).. does anybody know how the program handles people who need to go on interviews? The timeline I'm looking at is, Starting summer 2015, graduating in May 2016, start medical school August 2016. Does that make sense? I went to a conference in DC, and met with a representative from TCOM, and the way she explained it is this, apply in Summer 2015, and if you don't get in, then apply to the medsci program. She kind of confused me. Do most people apply to this program happen to be reapplicants? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Good luck to all
of you.

I just finished the Med Sci program. The faculty and staff are very receptive to students leaving for interviews. They know that the purpose of the program is to help students get into medical school. That being said, you fill out an excused absence form and depending on the course and what you are missing that day in lecture, you will either do a make quiz or test or be excused from an assignment (like you get a dash in the gradebook). You will never recurve a dash for an exam though. I hope this helps!