UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application season has started and although last year's school specific threads hold a wealth of info. I'd like to start some dialogue around this years application process! Good luck!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'm the only interested in this school, but I'm hoping ya'll will come around :rolleyes: in the meantime I submitted the secondary application today, and realized that there is no secondary fee for this application. This is a good thing, but sort of felt weird to me.... like I forgot something...

Has anyone else filled this out? Am I right that there is no secondary fee?

I filled out the secondary a while ago and you are right, there is no fee. I am not sure when they start interviewing; does anyone else know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have applied to the school last year if the deadline didn't pass considering I am a Texan resident. I think a lot of Texan pre-meds want to try applying to all of the 7 MD schools in the state first.

I am not sure when they start interviewing; does anyone else know?

I have not heard anything about interviews yet, but I did receive a confirmation that my secondary was complete.... There is another discussion about this school occurring in the TMDSAS section of pre-allopathic... maybe someone over there knows?

Just read in the interview invitations thread that somebody has an interview for August 4th....

What did you do for creating your application PIN for the secondary? I'm a little confused on what exactly they are asking for...

What did you do for creating your application PIN for the secondary? I'm a little confused on what exactly they are asking for...

As I remember I just treated it like a password... that was many applications ago though... anyone else remember what they did?

Hey guys I am applying to TCOM this cycle. The problem is, I am OOS. I noticed that there is very few students accepted at TCOM that are not from Texas. Is this just because OOS people tend not to apply? or does the school intentionally limit the number of OOS students they accept?

TCOM is definately in my top five, I hope I can get in.

Last edited:
From what I know TCOM like other texas schools requires their own primary application which is called TMDSAS (not AACOMAS for DO schools or AMCAS for MD schools). So many people just dont have the time or patience to fill it out. In addition, TCOM only allows, at most, 10% of its seats to out of state students. I think I read somewhere that TCOM gets about 250 OOS applications each year so if you apply your chances are still good.

I've got an invite for 8/6 and they said they would email me the itinerary but I haven't received it yet. Do they just send it out closer to the interview date?

TCOM does only accept about 18 OOS students....at least that is how many they accepted last cycle. However, if you have decent stats, and you think you would really like to go there, apply. I applied and got an interview last cycle...but I ended up being waitlisted. They make two separate waitlists, OOS and IS, so if no OOS'ers give up their seats, you're out of luck. Because Texas schools have their own application and it is to alot of people a big pain to fill out, many OOS'ers don't even bother, giving those that do apply a better chance. Good luck, its an awesome school!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably receive the itinerary within the next couple of days, from what I remember. Congrats!

I got an interview for August 14th! I am going to college out-of-state and was really impressed by how much they worked with me in scheduling the interview.

does anyone know what the secondary prompts are for tcom? i would really appreciate the help!!! :)

I just interviewed at TCOM here were some of the questions were:
1. why do you want to be a DO
2. tell me about your experience abroad
3. talk to me about your research
4. Name an instance you failed and what you learned from it
5. Out of technical skill, intelligence, compassion, and integrity which do you want you patients to see in you the most.
6. Out of those same skills, what makes the best doctor
7. What makes a great leader and how you grown from being one
8. How will you practice 30 years from now be different than an identical one now

I just interviewed at TCOM here were some of the questions were:
1. why do you want to be a DO
2. tell me about your experience abroad
3. talk to me about your research
4. Name an instance you failed and what you learned from it
5. Out of technical skill, intelligence, compassion, and integrity which do you want you patients to see in you the most.
6. Out of those same skills, what makes the best doctor
7. What makes a great leader and how you grown from being one
8. How will you practice 30 years from now be different than an identical one now

Wow! Thanks for that... those are pretty serious questions... in previous years at other schools my interviews have been mostly conversational, so I am so glad you posted these or else I would have been totally unprepared.

Anyone know how soon after the interview we will hear something?

The application season has started and although last year's school specific threads hold a wealth of info. I'd like to start some dialogue around this years application process! Good luck!:xf:

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I pretty much lived at the old thread and even though I didn't make it to TCOM for 2013, I might be able to answer some questions about them.

Pretty quiet on this thread... anyone have any news?

I just got an interview invite from TCOM today for Sept 4. My TMDSAS was verified on 8/13. Could anyone give me any advices for interview? Is there a thread that might provide some practice or past interview questions?

If you look up at the very top there is a link that says interview feedback...REALLY HELPFUL!!!

Received an interview for 7/3 two days ago. First Texas interview :). Is it still considered early for interviews? Just wondering b/c I haven't heard back from other schools.

I have an interview for September 3rd. It's my first interview invite--after I got the call I practically felt like I was floating. :p

I interviewed there on 8/13 and really enjoyed it! Good luck everyone!

To people who interviewed there, where would you recommend staying? I'm trying to find something low cost, and would rather not stay with a student as I will be coming in somewhat late the night before.

I am from Dallas so I stayed with my parents the night before and drove the 30 minutes- sorry I can't help

hey i just took the mcat on friday and i was wondering should i fill out my secondary right now or wait until i get my scores back? my tmdsas app is complete and verified but i havent filled out my secondary yet. any suggestions??

I have an interview there next week. My first interview! I will let you all know how it goes ;)

hey i just took the mcat on friday and i was wondering should i fill out my secondary right now or wait until i get my scores back? my tmdsas app is complete and verified but i havent filled out my secondary yet. any suggestions??
Fill it out ASAP! No need to wait for your MCAT scores, they know you are taking it and will look out for your scores. It's more important to get your secondary in-and take it seriously, TCOM loves their secondary :)

When I submitted the secondary, it mentioned I need to release my MCAT scores to TMDSAS and to them.

I went to the MCAT THx to see if I could release my scores to the school, and it isn't listed. I'm guessing we really don't need to release our scores specifically to TCOM? Thank you for your help.

When I submitted the secondary, it mentioned I need to release my MCAT scores to TMDSAS and to them.

I went to the MCAT THx to see if I could release my scores to the school, and it isn't listed. I'm guessing we really don't need to release our scores specifically to TCOM? Thank you for your help.

I never released mine to TCOM, just TMDSAS. Seems to be fine.

Did anyone receive an interview invite via phone? I got a random call from an admissions lady today, but when I called back, she wasn't there...the anticipation is killing me!

Did anyone receive an interview invite via phone? I got a random call from an admissions lady today, but when I called back, she wasn't there...the anticipation is killing me!

I did, and she was also not there when I called back. Keep calling every so often, you'll get her eventually. :)

I got my invite via phone in the middle of the day on a saturday... it was pretty random

Is there anyway I can check my status for TCOM? I tried logging in with my EUID, but it won't let me! And since my secondary is done, I can't log into that either. Did anybody get a confirmation e-mail that everything is received?

The phone call was to invite me to an interview!! I'm sooo happy! This is my first one...is anyone else interviewing on 9/8?

How many of you getting interviews haven't gotten DO recommendation letters or did not know if you would have one or not until after submitting your secondary application? I've had my secondary filled out for awhile (still waiting for TMDSAS to be verified though) but have delayed submitting it because I don't know if I'll have a DO letter for sure or not and don't know how important it is that I either A) have a letter but said I didn't in the secondary or B) Don't have a letter but said that I did in the secondary?

How many of you getting interviews haven't gotten DO recommendation letters or did not know if you would have one or not until after submitting your secondary application? I've had my secondary filled out for awhile (still waiting for TMDSAS to be verified though) but have delayed submitting it because I don't know if I'll have a DO letter for sure or not and don't know how important it is that I either A) have a letter but said I didn't in the secondary or B) Don't have a letter but said that I did in the secondary?

I had an MD letter, no DO. Got an interview a week after submitting so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Fortunately, I just found out the DO I have shadowed is going to write me one...one less thing to worry about.

I had no DO letter. However, I am very knowledgeable of osteopathy's mission and the benefits it provides to both the medical field and society. I figured that by making that clear in the secondary it wasn't absolutely necessary I get a DO to write a LOR. My interview is scheduled for 9/8.

I posted another interview feedback page for anyone who is interested. I got basically the questions that have been listed in this thread. I had a great experience. :)

Have any OOSers gotten an interview or any word back from TCOM?

Not yet! I am waiting anxiously though...

Just in case anyone is wondering why they are slow to invite for interviews, there are only 2 people that read the applications and they said they do about 10-15 a day each. I spoke to the admissions people when I had my interview a few days ago. Also, everyone there is so nice!

Have any OOSers gotten an interview or any word back from TCOM?

I am an OOS and IS and I have just recieved an interview on sept. 15, which then i moved to sept 18. Anyone going there this week? if so where yall staying?

and for those that have already interviewed.. What are some interview questions I should be expecting?

I am an OOS and IS and I have just recieved an interview on sept. 15, which then i moved to sept 18. Anyone going there this week? if so where yall staying?

and for those that have already interviewed.. What are some interview questions I should be expecting?

Check the interview feedback for a complete list. I was asked a couple of hypothetical situations, but mostly my interview was conversational. Why medicine, strengths/weaknesses, how do you work in a group, and specific questions about my personal statement. They have your PS and EC's, but not your GPA or MCAT. They will not ask you anything about your grades.

I stayed at Microtel Suites - Fossil Creek, and it was a good experience.

Sept. 18th interview - YAY! ^_^ :thumbup:
[I'll be the guy in the black suit :p]