UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion here!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to TCOM through TMDSAS and am beginning to look at the secondary now. I don't have a DO LOR, but I have good ones from PhDs, employer, and a longtime volunteer coordinator. Will this basically nix my chances? How much do they really care?

I have cGPA: 3.43, sGPA: 3.30, 34 MCAT.

I applied to TCOM through TMDSAS and am beginning to look at the secondary now. I don't have a DO LOR, but I have good ones from PhDs, employer, and a longtime volunteer coordinator. Will this basically nix my chances? How much do they really care?

I have cGPA: 3.43, sGPA: 3.30, 34 MCAT.

your chances seem good to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, and I'm doing an AMCAS and AACOMAS application for some non-Texas schools. But I have TX residency so that is where my main hopes are.

OK another question.. so my TMDSAS is submitted and my check is in the mail. I manually found UNTHSC's secondary application on their website and created an account. Is it OK to work on their secondary even though they haven't formally contacted me with instructions to do so? If it will let me, I figure why not fill it out so it is all ready to send once I do get the go-ahead from the school.

OK another question.. so my TMDSAS is submitted and my check is in the mail. I manually found UNTHSC's secondary application on their website and created an account. Is it OK to work on their secondary even though they haven't formally contacted me with instructions to do so? If it will let me, I figure why not fill it out so it is all ready to send once I do get the go-ahead from the school.

i think you should wait for them to contact you. there is no need to rush. you have plenty of time to get it done.

work on it if you feel like it. If you got the time/bored out of your mind then why the heck not. It is a very simple secondary. I did mine in two days, second being pure editing. But like dude said up top you got Plenty of time to work on it. I dont think they contacted me before I submitted mine, I submitted in aug and got a interview 4 days later. Really relax It's no biggie

Why does the state of Texas have its own application service? Lol.

I am going to fill it out soon though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an idea on how they are towards OOS?

How they are? Well every Texas public school is mandated to take 90% in state students. So tcom is pretty picky w oos like all Texas schools. It's my understanding that OSS matriculants usually have stats above the mean on gap and mcat. The oos I interviewed with (early in the season) had 3.5+ and 30+ mcat.

How they are? Well every Texas public school is mandated to take 90% in state students. So tcom is pretty picky w oos like all Texas schools. It's my understanding that OSS matriculants usually have stats above the mean on gap and mcat. The oos I interviewed with (early in the season) had 3.5+ and 30+ mcat.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.:)

I am interested in doing the DO/MPH joint degree program. Is anyone else?

I am interested in doing the DO/MPH joint degree program. Is anyone else?

I am not doing the joint degree program but from what I heard there is some crossover in the courses you take for med school that count towards the MPH making it reasonable.

I want to do the dual degree program, but considering I'll be out of the country tomorrow and the deadline is June 1st for this fall, it's highly unlikely I'll do it :( Here's the info they sent our class so you can get a feel for what you might need next year:

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/SPH/Admissions.cfm#DOMPH

and this is how they'll sprinkle the courses through the years for the new "generalist" MPH degree option:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/SPH/documents/Curriculum_Plans/42_SCH_MPH_AP.pdf

What's up everyone, for anybody else that is applying in Texas to TCOM, I was wondering how important it is to submit an extra letter of eval to them. They allow you to submit an extra letter directly to them and they would prefer it be a DO. I want to get my application in as soon as possible but once I have submitted it, I won't be able to send a letter with it. I am planning on shadowing a DO this summer but won't be able to do so until early July as I am just too swamped right now but I would like to get my application sent out as soon as possible. Does anyone who has experience with this have any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance for any responses! I appreciate you all.

Brandon

I am a current TCOM student and I would say it's not very important to submit the extra letter. I didn't do it for my application and neither did any of my friends. I would say it's more important to get your application in as soon as possible. Good luck!

It's vital, vital that you get this in......sometime before November....

They need it to be a complete package before they can thumbs up/thumbs down you....Call the admissions office and tell them (nicely) what's going on....I can't recall if they won't offer an interview w/o the letter or not, so that's a question to ask....

You could go the extra mile and go out to the school if you're close and ask them personally.....stand out from the crowd.....

Hey guys,

I applied to TCOM last cycle and created an account for my secondary. However, I don't remember my password and I keep getting stuck at the "Security Question" step. The question is what was my first school, and I forgot what I put!! LOL (awkwardly enough, the answer is not my first school apparently).

Is there a way around this?

Also, what do you think of my stats for acceptance. 3.40cGPA, 3.70sGPA, 3.19nonsciGPA. 27N MCAT. Lots of leadership and community service. About 120 hours of hospital volunteering. Lots of teaching experience too.

Hey Bill,

I sent my secondary like nat had suggested but I think I will call them as well and ask if I can send a second letter later in the year to accompany it. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks again

What's up everyone, for anybody else that is applying in Texas to TCOM, I was wondering how important it is to submit an extra letter of eval to them. They allow you to submit an extra letter directly to them and they would prefer it be a DO. I want to get my application in as soon as possible but once I have submitted it, I won't be able to send a letter with it. I am planning on shadowing a DO this summer but won't be able to do so until early July as I am just too swamped right now but I would like to get my application sent out as soon as possible. Does anyone who has experience with this have any suggestions on what to do? Thanks in advance for any responses! I appreciate you all.

Brandon

Actually this is not true. At your interview you will meet with an admissions person who will make sure everything on file is correct and ask you if you have anything you plan on sending in (transcript/letter of eval/etc.). So if you submit your secondary and later decide to get another letter (which is not necessary as stated above) they will more than likely accept it.
good luck guys

Just got an interview invite (by phone) for the last week of June! I was totally shocked to get a phone call this early! Needless to say it's my first invite of the year. :soexcited:

Just got an interview invite (by phone) for the last week of June! I was totally shocked to get a phone call this early! Needless to say it's my first invite of the year. :soexcited:

Congrats!! When did you submitted your secondary application?

EDIT: Just saw your MD Appl. profile (duh!!). Great Job!

Any else here ,Besides Morhz, gotten the email that they received your primary? I submitted my app around 5/12 and it was transmitted soon after so im kinda wondering what the hold up is

Congrats!! When did you submitted your secondary application?

EDIT: Just saw your MD Appl. profile (duh!!). Great Job!

Thanks, I'm excited. My primary was sent out on 5/12 (received payment 5/11, verified even earlier, MCAT 3/26, and my LORs were received by TMDSAS on 6/3) and my secondary was sent on 5/20. I got the email from TCOM saying they had received my primary on 6/9.

Wow, that's fast. TCOM notified my of my primary app receipt on 6/9 my secondary app on 6/1. Hopefully I hear something soon!

TCom never emailed me (D'oh) because I already had a portal page from some past employment. My app status is complete, and now its just the waiting game! Good luck Morzh!

Sorry for the double post, but i just got a call 20 mins ago for an interview on july 26th. Hope to see some of you there!

just sent in secondary (wow, i'm late :)) -- is there a secondary fee for this school?

What are your stats if you dont mind sharing. Good luck on your interview.

i officially love this school :love:
I do as well. Its one of my top choices. They built a brand new lecture hall building last summer and I got to attend a research conference there while I worked there last summer. The facilities are awesome and so are the professors. The research being conducted in the physiology department and neuroscience department(New building as well) is freaking awesome

Last edited:
just sent in secondary (wow, i'm late :)) -- is there a secondary fee for this school?

Trust me, this is not late. I didn't send secondary till mid aug.
Don't send late if you can avoid it, and don't be afraid to apply because you think you're too late either

Last edited:
Received interview invite today via phone call - July 26

Received interview invite today via phone call - July 26
high five!
when do you interview?
Im slated to sign in at 930 with back to back interviews at 2 and 2 45.

When TCOM emailed me saying they received my secondary, they told me I could view my "to-do list" on the portal page, but when I click the link in the email, I see no such list. Just want to see if they received everything.

nevermind, i just realized that I don't have a portal page until they receive my primary. It was transmitted 6/10. I guess they still haven't received it.