UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's Malawi - not Somalia. We don't want to be kidnapped LOL.

Haha that's what I get for trying to help without fact checking. I think I wrote Somalia because I recently read an article about the famines there. Glad you caught this!

Members don't see this ad.

delete

Last edited:
Starting to get a little discouraged. I know it's early but I'm staring to lose hope. I wish I could just stop checking my email for a week and come back to find 2 or even 1 interview invite. :(

To those who interviewed; how many were there on interview day? I heard that they interview like 10 people per session. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my interview invite this morning for 8/18. Yay! :D
I'm excited to go, everyone seems to have such a great impression of TCOM.
Not looking forward to driving though, lol.

NYSW, can I ask if you applied via the Early Decision Program or not? Congrats!

So TCOM has had my application and secondary for like a month now... but they finally just verified my committee LOR. I hope I get an interview invite within the next few days!!!!!! Wish me luck. Man I hope I can an email soon....:xf:

Starting to get a little discouraged. I know it's early but I'm staring to lose hope. I wish I could just stop checking my email for a week and come back to find 2 or even 1 interview invite. :(

To those who interviewed; how many were there on interview day? I heard that they interview like 10 people per session. Is this true?

We were told that there are usually between 12 and 22 per interview session. There were 18 when I was there, and supposedly that is average.

It's still so early! I understand the discouragement, but there is still so much time left. You have every reason to be hopeful!

We actually had 22 yesterday.... a couple of the sessions before that had 12 and 15. It seems to vary a bit, maybe based on people's availability.

Got the call from Caroline I received an interview invite for 8/25...first post

Gaining entrance to med school, especially a good med school, can be a nail-biting process. Just check your email/voicemail every day, concentrate on what you can do, do your best and hope for the best. The uncertainty is no fun, but it's part and parcel of the med school experience - it's life. No matter what happens, think positive, and enjoy your "free" time before med school starts. (Because once med school starts, it will be _years_ before you can live like a normal human being again :)).

Reactions: 1 user
Had my interview yesterday... I am so excited about TCOM! They really had such a well organized and planned day. I was really worried because I'd heard of applicants getting lost finding interview places at other schools but with Caroline and the ambassadors I was shown each one. The ambassadors rocked! I had plenty of one on one time with them in the admissions rooms and really picked some brains...

My first interviewer was casual and asked the usual questions.. why medicine, weaknesses/strengths, why TCOM, why DO and a little about some points on my applications... no stress:p

Second was a little different. He asked a series of scenario questions: a friend who has just started the same residency program as you, comes to you in tears and has decided she can't take it anymore and is thinking of giving up on medicine altogether, what do you say to her... He said there were no wrong answers and he just wanted to her my opinion and why, so hopefully, I did ok with them. But again, he was very friendly and we chatted here and there. I never felt from either interviewer that they were "testing" me or trying to see how I did under pressure, which sadly was how I thought interviews would be. Guess I shouldn't have read the thread on worst interviews :D

Overall, I had a great time and bounced out the door at the end. :xf: for TCOM!

I got a phone call today inviting me to an interview at TCOM. I am very excited; I've heard a lot of good things about the school, and I am really hoping to stay in Texas.

Best of luck to those of you still waiting! I hope you have good news soon. :)

So TCOM has had my application and secondary for like a month now... but they finally just verified my committee LOR. I hope I get an interview invite within the next few days!!!!!! Wish me luck. Man I hope I can an email soon....:xf:

How did you know your LOR was verified? did you call to specifically ask? My school sent in my letters a month late and I've wanted to check up on it.

Caroline just called inviting me to an interview!! She wasn't too happy that I didn't accept the first date she gave me. Hopefully, her disappointment isn't a sign of things to come.

Anyone else going Sept 1?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Caroline just called inviting me to an interview!! She wasn't too happy that I didn't accept the first date she gave me. Hopefully, her disappointment isn't a sign of things to come.

Caroline has a big job and she has to juggle many things at once. She is a very nice person. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

interview invite this morning for 8/26
completed secondary 8/4.... talk about a quick turn-around...!

New member here, 1st post. I had my interview two weeks ago and I really loved the school!!! Everyone seemed much more genuine and enthusiastic, and always kind and helpful... kinda interesting because it's not like they had to sell me anything, considering TCOM is a UNT state school and it's been around forever, since way before I was born :D. My family doctor is a TCOM grad and he's very proud of TCOM.
k
(HOOK 'EM!!)

Dang this is starting to worry me... they've had my primary, DO LOR, and secondary for like a month now. They just got my committee LOR like a couple days ago, but I was hoping I'd get a call like many of ya'll have been getting today. I didn't know they called on weekends!! Does Caroline call Sundays as well?

Wish me luck that I get a call guys. And good luck to all the people who have interviews coming up!

Dang this is starting to worry me... they've had my primary, DO LOR, and secondary for like a month now. They just got my committee LOR like a couple days ago, but I was hoping I'd get a call like many of ya'll have been getting today. I didn't know they called on weekends!! Does Caroline call Sundays as well?
Wish me luck that I get a call guys. And good luck to all the people who have interviews coming up!

Good luck, and hang in there. The office hours here are M-F 8-5, so I doubt Caroline works Sundays. As far as I know, the only people who work Sundays are med and grad students.

Good luck, and hang in there. The office hours here are M-F 8-5, so I doubt Caroline works Sundays. As far as I know, the only people who work Sundays are med and grad students.

Thanks man. So how did all you guys above get interview invites on Saturday (today)?

NYSW, can I ask if you applied via the Early Decision Program or not? Congrats!

Thanks! I did not apply ED anywhere. Just DO and DO/PhD here and MD and MD/PhD elsewhere.

Ohh man. I've been complete at TCOM since Friday, I hope I get a call today. C'mon Caroline! Pleaaseee!! :D

So I've been constantly refreshing my portal page to see if I have any "YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW!! CONGRATS!" message, since it looks like some people have gotten this message on their portal before the phone call. So far no luck... I've only been "officially" complete since last Thursday/Friday... but so many of ya'll had gotten an invite literally 2-3 days after you became complete. I'm so nervous!!!

Sorry for the rant... just had to vent. lol. :rolleyes:

So I've been constantly refreshing my portal page to see if I have any "YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW!! CONGRATS!" message, since it looks like some people have gotten this message on their portal before the phone call. So far no luck... I've only been "officially" complete since last Thursday/Friday... but so many of ya'll had gotten an invite literally 2-3 days after you became complete. I'm so nervous!!!

Sorry for the rant... just had to vent. lol. :rolleyes:

I am waiting for a call too... But I was complete 7-8-11 :eek:
I have since learned to not take it personally and limit my the number of times I check SDN, E-mail and phone. Anyway, I would worry too much, they apparently call on Saturday too.

I am waiting for a call too... But I was complete 7-8-11 :eek:
I have since learned to not take it personally and limit my the number of times I check SDN, E-mail and phone. Anyway, I would worry too much, they apparently call on Saturday too.

Hmm... I wonder what the hold up is. I know it's only been a couple days for me (including Saturday), but my stats aren't too bad. I was hoping for some TX love... oh well, I'll hold on. haha.

Good luck to both of us!

It's still early in the cycle, alot of interviews to go around and I was notified a week and 1/2 after my application was recieved that I was invited for an interview so I think its different for everyone. Also my UNTHSC portal page just shows that my application is complete and nothing else and Caroline didn't send me an email til after she had called me to set my date for interview. The waiting game sucks but try to hang in there.

Well guys I was looking for an answer and boy did I get one...

REJECTION :( (Snail mail)

As embarrassing as this is, I felt the need to share. Good luck to everyone :thumbup:

As embarrassing as this is, I felt the need to share. Good luck to everyone :thumbup:

Oh my... I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask what your stats were?

what!? I didn't know they sent out letters this early!

I'm so sorry to hear that :( I do hope that other schools recognize the potential in you and send interview invites instead! I wish you all the best and truly hope you don't get too discouraged...

Dang. Sorry to hear. Good luck, and don't give up on your quest!

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes everyone :)

My stats aren't great so I should have seen it coming... Still kinda stings though

GPA

Mcat

OOS URM

My stats aren't great so I should have seen it coming... Still kinda stings though

GPA

Mcat

OOS URM

Aw man sorry to hear. Oos for tcom is super competitive since there are only 20 spots. The majority oos have above the averages. The oos I interviewed w (early in the season) had 30s and 3.7s. Keep up the hope. You'll get in

GPA

Mcat

OOS URM

don't give up! it's all about perseverance!

GPA

Mcat

OOS URM
Hey, at least you gave it a shot. My Mcat was in the 20's for two years. I finally retook it this year and improved. Keep at it :thumbup:

Just to add my sentiments... I am sorry this must hurt but like others have said before, I'm sure there will be another school who will see your potential and ask you to interview. Hang in there! These things are sent to try us!!

Anybody familiar with the TCOM area or has previously interviewed have any suggestions for hotels?

Anybody familiar with the TCOM area or has previously interviewed have any suggestions for hotels?

There are some hotels across of I 30 from TCOM. However they are a little expensive and nearby trains are. I stayed out a little bit west at a nice little hampton

There are no hotels in the cultural district where TCOM is located except a Residence Inn which is pricey. The hotels downtown off 7th St. are pricey. There is a cluster (Quality, Comfort, Holiday Inn Exp) several miles to the west off I-30/Cherry Ln. Not the greatest neighborhood, and you might hear jet noise from the Naval Air Station, but they're convenient. The La Quinta on Cherry Ln looks good on the web but it's a dump compared to the one down by TCU - it's actually around the corner from Hulen Mall, off Hulen/I-20. That La Quinta is quite nice, and there are other nice hotels in that area (Hampton, Hyatt, etc.). Another option, if you don't mind driving a bit further, is to the north around I-35W/820 - lots of good choices there as well: Best Western, Courtyard, Hilton, etc. I personally prefer the hotels off Hulen south of TCU - they're ~7 miles from TCOM with good restaurants along the way.
Edit: I forgot about the hotels on University just south of I-30. They're quite close to TCOM. Ask for a room away from the railroad tracks to minimize the noise.

Last edited:
Dang still no interview invite!! :( , I hope I get one soon!

Sorry, ranting again... lol.

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn (<10 minute drive) which was fairly nice. They had a decent breakfast and the beds were very comfortable. They had a TCOM rate and it was about $100 with taxes.

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn (<10 minute drive) which was fairly nice. They had a decent breakfast and the beds were very comfortable. They had a TCOM rate and it was about $100 with taxes.
:thumbup: Yes, I stayed there for the recruitment thingy. Friendly receptionist. Mention you're visiting TCOM for a discount rate at $89.99

misterdoctor, do you mind sharing your stats and when you were complete please? :)

Hey guys,

I have a question... so it's been a week and still no invite (I'm okay with this... since I'm starting to realize it takes more than a week for an invite, lol). I think the fact that people were getting invites in 2 days from their completion made me nervous!!

But here's a serious question. TCOM sends an email when they get your application, correct? This email has all the portal login information, and it also confirms that they did indeed receive your application. I'm a reapplicant, and I never got this email this cycle. I fortunately had my email from last cycle saved, and used that login for my portal. My status for Fall 2012 is "complete" (green circle), but I'm finding it strange that I never received a confirmation email. Is this a cause for concern?

Thanks for your help, and congrats to all those who have/had interviews!

Hey guys,

I have a question... so it's been a week and still no invite (I'm okay with this... since I'm starting to realize it takes more than a week for an invite, lol). I think the fact that people were getting invites in 2 days from their completion made me nervous!!

But here's a serious question. TCOM sends an email when they get your application, correct? This email has all the portal login information, and it also confirms that they did indeed receive your application. I'm a reapplicant, and I never got this email this cycle. I fortunately had my email from last cycle saved, and used that login for my portal. My status for Fall 2012 is "complete" (green circle), but I'm finding it strange that I never received a confirmation email. Is this a cause for concern?

Thanks for your help, and congrats to all those who have/had interviews!

When I reapplied, I don't believe I received another username/password for the portal. I was able to log in with the one I used from the previous cycle, but I don't remember being told that I was supposed to do that.

I just came on here to say good luck to you all! I'm a current first year, and I think I've seen many of you stop by the first year class just to sit in. I hope all of your interviews are going well :)

Btw, I saw a post from earlier concerning med sci students. There are about 25-30 of us in the 2015 if I'm not mistaken. Don't worry about having to compete with them...they are in their own separate pool. All med scis only compete with each other for those spots and are not included in the general applicant pool