UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have an interview on 9/13, submitted my secondary about a week before i got the invite :D

i heard from some people who applied last year that they were grilled in the tcom interviews more than any other texas school... does anyone have any comments on this or interview advice?

Everyone I've talked to said TCOM was their most laid back interview. It's really conversational; both of my interviewers went on tangents. The best thing to do is just roll with it! I talked about traditional chinese medicine & alternative therapies with one of my interviewers for a good 20 minutes. I think I only answered like 2-3 questions each from each interviewer, all about parts of my application & personality. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

anybody know what happened to noshie? how is she doing at tcom? thx

Not sure. I'm sure she's enjoying every bit of it!

Has anyone gotten an interview here recently? This thread has been totally dead of any interview invites.

If I get one soon, I'll be sure to wake this thread up. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent points in the above posts on TCOM's interviewing style. My guess is this: TCOM emphasizes physician-patient interactions in clinical training, so verbalization and people skills are critical. And while the interviewers try to elicit fist-hand info from applicants, they also look for certain characteristics that match the TCOM 'culture' and learning environment - enthusiasm, teamwork and so on.

Reactions: 1 user

I think you may have meant to post this in the 2010-2011 TCOM thread, as those are the members who are currently first years. This thread is members who are currently in the application/interview year. I could be wrong though! :D

Yeah for real. I just looked at TCOMs stats for the previous years:

Total apps for Fall 2009 = 2,047
Total apps for Fall 2010 = 2,098

There's probably going to end up being about 3-3.5 thousand applications for them... but unfortunately they will only end up accepting the same number as past years... so the ratio of application-to-interview invite is less.

This is getting me worried. It's been a month since completion!!! CALL ME CAROLINE! PLEASE!!!

Yeah for real. I just looked at TCOMs stats for the previous years:

Total apps for Fall 2009 = 2,047
Total apps for Fall 2010 = 2,098

There's probably going to end up being about 3-3.5 thousand applications for them... but unfortunately they will only end up accepting the same number as past years... so the ratio of application-to-interview invite is less.

This is getting me worried. It's been a month since completion!!! CALL ME CAROLINE! PLEASE!!!

If u want Pm me ur info and I'll give u the honest truth of ur chances and my understanding of how interview selection and stuff like that goes. 2000 already is crazy. It would be nice if they would tell us our class stats and app numbers, but the only thing they have released is that 2015 has the highest gpa of any entering class. Anyways don't sweat yet, at this time last year I had just turned in my app.

If u want Pm me ur info and I'll give u the honest truth of ur chances and my understanding of how interview selection and stuff like that goes. 2000 already is crazy. It would be nice if they would tell us our class stats and app numbers, but the only thing they have released is that 2015 has the highest gpa of any entering class. Anyways don't sweat yet, at this time last year I had just turned in my app.

Oh my...

According to this: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissions/enteringclassstats.cfm

My overall GPA is lower than TCOM's stats, but my science GPA is higher. My MCAT is also a 27, so 1 point lower than the average. Eeep...

Remember that average means that there are student's numbers below and above to give an average. While numbers are important, TCOM made a point that they take into account the entire applicant’s application.

Remember that average means that there are student's numbers below and above to give an average. While numbers are important, TCOM made a point that they take into account the entire applicant’s application.

Yeah. I have about 100 hours of clinical experience... which is kinda low. But I have many hundreds of hours in leadership, non-medical volunteering, and teaching experience. I hope this helps make up for my average numerical stats. So far... it doesn't look like it has. :(

I received a TCOM interview invite on Saturday morning (so early lol), didn't know they worked weekends. I'm currently scheduled for Friday 10/7. yay for my first interview invite! =]

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a TCOM interview invite on Saturday morning (so early lol), didn't know they worked weekends. I'm currently scheduled for Friday 10/7. yay for my first interview invite! =]
Nice work. When did you submit secondary? It's been a month for me, no word yet.

Nice work. When did you submit secondary? It's been a month for me, no word yet.

Same here man. It's exactly 1 month + 1 day since I was complete at TCOM. I wish they would call me already! It's my top choice! :(

I submitted my secondary 8/31 afternoon (last Wednesday), so I'm surprised to hear back from them so soon. I have no idea in what order they are sending out invites... good luck yall!:thumbup:

Okay, after reading all of the posts here I am seriously getting concerned.
Submitted 5/20
Transmitted 5/25
Received secondary 6/30 - complete on UNTHSC portal website.
No word since.

First MCAT was 28
BS: 11
PS: 7
V: 10
then I stupidly retook it per school advice and while I did improve my PS score my Verbal plummeted to a 6. wtf? I never got below a 10 on any practice exam. I'm convinced it was a glitch.
Second MCAT: 25
BS: 10
PS: 9
V: 6

Does anyone know if UNT or other schools in Texas would see both scores?
I feel like this is automatically cutting me from potential interview pools. What do you guys think?

Overall GPA: 3.19 (climbing every year - final semester 4.0)
Overall Science GPA: 3.28
Excellent evaluation letters that were used in A&M's HPE packet

I don't have much in terms of EC's but mostly b/c I'm a non-trad and I have had to work to support myself constantly.

I applied last year and didn't receive a single interview however this is my first time applying to UNT. I think I'm rightfully getting nervous. Just e-slap me if I'm overreacting. UNT is by far my first choice school!! I also went to the open house last month and thought it was an amazing school! And I'm an Aggie.. I belong there T_T

Am I doomed? Any advice out there?

Last edited:
Okay, after reading all of the posts here I am seriously getting concerned.
Submitted 5/20
Transmitted 5/25
Received secondary 6/30 - complete on UNTHSC portal website.
No word since.

First MCAT was 28
BS: 11
PS: 7
V: 10
then I stupidly retook it per school advice and while I did improve my PS score my Verbal plummeted to a 6. wtf? I never got below a 10 on any practice exam. I'm convinced it was a glitch.
Second MCAT: 25
BS: 10
PS: 9
V: 6

Does anyone know if UNT or other schools in Texas would see both scores?
I feel like this is automatically cutting me from potential interview pools. What do you guys think?

Overall GPA: 3.19 (climbing every year - final semester 4.0)
Overall Science GPA: 3.28
Excellent evaluation letters that were used in A&M's HPE packet

I don't have much in terms of EC's but mostly b/c I'm a non-trad and I have had to work to support myself constantly.

I applied last year and didn't receive a single interview however this is my first time applying to UNT. I think I'm rightfully getting nervous. Just e-slap me if I'm overreacting. UNT is by far my first choice school!! I also went to the open house last month and thought it was an amazing school! And I'm an Aggie.. I belong there T_T

Am I doomed? Any advice out there?

Your GPA well below their average (check above to a link I posted with their stats). I'm not sure if TCOM takes the highest MCAT score or not. Even if they do, 28 MCAT is their average the past couple years.

It is most likely your GPA tugging you down (maybe your ECs too depending on what they are). I haven't gotten an interview either, as I'm sure everyone on this thread knows with my neurotic posts. :laugh:

Just stay proactive in this process. Best of luck to both of us. :xf:

Same here man. It's exactly 1 month + 1 day since I was complete at TCOM. I wish they would call me already! It's my top choice! :(

I've tried to tune it out, but I would do a backflip if I got an interview at TCOM

Unfortunately, most schools screen out applicants with section scores of 6 or lower. I knew someone with a 3.9 26 but didn't get interviews because of a 6. Send Karen an email. She responds quickly.

I had my interviews here today!

They followed a similar pattern as my other ones a few days ago. One person was incredibly conversational, while the other was more "stick to the script" and asked some hard questions. My advice is to get very familiar with "Why do you want to be a doctor?" "What qualities would make you a good doctor?" and "What traits do you need to improve on?". Apparently those questions come back again and again. I was asked "Why TCOM" but nothing DO-specific.

The school itself is gorgeous, and so is the surrounding area. I've somehow never been to Fort Worth, and I had no idea what to expect. The students seemed happy and the school seems pretty serious about its OMM. Both of my interviewers emphasized how good the curriculum was for preparing its students for the clinical years. Research did not sound like it was really much of an option, however; the students were simply too busy.

In conclusion: gorgeous school, strong program, happy students. I had a very fun day and I hope some of you all can visit/get in. :luck:

Hey guys,

I was just looking through TCOM's website. It says that you need 8 hours of anatomy and physiology with lab. Do general biology classes count for this, or do you actually have to take the upper level anatomy/physiology class?? My general biology 3 class was Animal Systems. But that was really the only exposure to physiology and anatomy I had. Would TCOM let me know if my courses did not meet their required courses?? If not... I'm in trouble (since I've already graduated).

Hey guys,

I was just looking through TCOM's website. It says that you need 8 hours of anatomy and physiology with lab. Do general biology classes count for this, or do you actually have to take the upper level anatomy/physiology class?? My general biology 3 class was Animal Systems. But that was really the only exposure to physiology and anatomy I had. Would TCOM let me know if my courses did not meet their required courses?? If not... I'm in trouble (since I've already graduated).

are you looking at this page (http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissions/Admissionsreqs.cfm)? I only see requirements for 14 credit hours total for biology courses, and physiology and anatomy is just a course that may count toward those hours.

I had my interviews here today!

They followed a similar pattern as my other ones a few days ago. One person was incredibly conversational, while the other was more "stick to the script" and asked some hard questions. My advice is to get very familiar with "Why do you want to be a doctor?" "What qualities would make you a good doctor?" and "What traits do you need to improve on?". Apparently those questions come back again and again. I was asked "Why TCOM" but nothing DO-specific.

The school itself is gorgeous, and so is the surrounding area. I've somehow never been to Fort Worth, and I had no idea what to expect. The students seemed happy and the school seems pretty serious about its OMM. Both of my interviewers emphasized how good the curriculum was for preparing its students for the clinical years. Research did not sound like it was really much of an option, however; the students were simply too busy.

In conclusion: gorgeous school, strong program, happy students. I had a very fun day and I hope some of you all can visit/get in. :luck:

Um funny u say we are are serious about omm. I would say most of our students especially older, would argue differently. Don't let the timing of your interview fool you, yesterday was our first omm competency test so everyone was omm focused. Last spring we brought in a new omm course director bc we were not omm focused. He's come in and tried to make it more organized and more by the bookor for the most part it seems better than previous years especially with the new omm facilities. Research is available but like most places u must actively presue it and phd candidacy is always an option. Glad your experience was positive, come back anytime.

Well guys I was looking for an answer and boy did I get one...

REJECTION :( (Snail mail)

As embarrassing as this is, I felt the need to share. Good luck to everyone :thumbup:

Has anyone else received a rejection letter in the mail saying you will not be granted an interview? I haven't.

Has anyone else received a rejection letter in the mail saying you will not be granted an interview? I haven't.

I think it is pretty rare at this time, The applicant had a little below average numbers and was OOS. TCOM only gives up to 10% of seats to OOS, so I assume they only have rejected early OOS applicants with typically lower than average stats for TCOM.

There are opportunities for summer research, although we do not have anything like the facilities at, say, UTSW. I felt like it was easier to find a mentor because we are a small campus where not everyone is research driven, which was a plus. OMM has been in flux, and the second year of OMM currently needs a WHOLE lot of work. If OMM is your big draw, I don't think TCOM is your best bet. Just being honest here.

There are opportunities for summer research, although we do not have anything like the facilities at, say, UTSW. I felt like it was easier to find a mentor because we are a small campus where not everyone is research driven, which was a plus. OMM has been in flux, and the second year of OMM currently needs a WHOLE lot of work. If OMM is your big draw, I don't think TCOM is your best bet. Just being honest here.

This may be a bit of an ignorant question... but can a student pursue research without being a dual degree DO/PhD?

I'm really interested in doing research, but not enough to pursue a PhD and spend the extra years. However, if the opportunity is there for me simply as a DO student then I'd love to get involved in it. Is this possible?

This may be a bit of an ignorant question... but can a student pursue research without being a dual degree DO/PhD?

I'm really interested in doing research, but not enough to pursue a PhD and spend the extra years. However, if the opportunity is there for me simply as a DO student then I'd love to get involved in it. Is this possible?

There is a lot of research in the grad schools, but there is also some research in TCOM itself - it's listed under each department. If you have the background and free time, I don't think they'll turn down free labor :) Most med students don't do research simply because they don't have time. Some of the exams here are quite demanding and require serious studying - and they seem to come at you nonstop.

There is a lot of research in the grad schools, but there is also some research in TCOM itself - it's listed under each department. If you have the background and free time, I don't think they'll turn down free labor :) Most med students don't do research simply because they don't have time. Some of the exams here are quite demanding and require serious studying - and they seem to come at you nonstop.

Ah I see. That makes sense. I guess it's something good to inquire about on interview day? That is... if I even GET an interview!! grr... lol :xf:

Ah I see. That makes sense. I guess it's something good to inquire about on interview day? That is... if I even GET an interview!! grr... lol :xf:

Research was briefly mentioned during orientation. Dr. Smith said he's the one to contact for cardiovascular research. He gave a list of the different fields that you can do research in, and he gave a contact person's name (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was). So you definitely can do it without the dual degree route, but finding the time will be difficult

Research was briefly mentioned during orientation. Dr. Smith said he's the one to contact for cardiovascular research. He gave a list of the different fields that you can do research in, and he gave a contact person's name (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was). So you definitely can do it without the dual degree route, but finding the time will be difficult

Nifty :thumbup:

Hey guys, I am flying into Dallas Love Field Airport. Anyone have any ideas on transportation? I am flying out there September 15th. Thanks!

Hey guys, I am flying into Dallas Love Field Airport. Anyone have any ideas on transportation? I am flying out there September 15th. Thanks!

Love Field is actually like 5 min North of Downtown Dallas so its like a 45 min trip to Fort Worth, probably would have been better to fly into DFW airport since it is only like 25 min from Fort Worth and you can take TRE straight there. Best bet would be to get a rental car and drive. I would say take loop 12 to I-30 all the way to the Fort Worth and not 121 cause there is alot of construction the route. I think you can also take the dart to Downtown dallas then the trinity railway express to get there but I would look into it.

Last edited:
thanks man i appreciate your help! I did some research today, and boy should I have done it before i booked my ticket. looks like im gonna take 2.5 hrs of public transit before I reach my destination. Ugh. It will only cost me 10 dollars though. Dallas and Fort Worth are great. I called them up and they emailed me an "itinerary" on how to use their public transportation systems. Thanks!

has anyone else been under review for an interview for a long time? I submitted back in July and haven't heard anything. Is that a good or bad thing?

has anyone else been under review for an interview for a long time? I submitted back in July and haven't heard anything. Is that a good or bad thing?

If you're OOS, that's not a bad thing... from what I've heard.. It means it's still in the queue someplace... For OOS a bad thing at this stage in the game would be a letter in the mail. It's still early I think
k
\m/

thanks man i appreciate your help! I did some research today, and boy should I have done it before i booked my ticket. looks like im gonna take 2.5 hrs of public transit before I reach my destination. Ugh. It will only cost me 10 dollars though. Dallas and Fort Worth are great. I called them up and they emailed me an "itinerary" on how to use their public transportation systems. Thanks!

beware, public transit in the DFW area (and Texas in general) is not user-friendly. I would honestly expect some aspect of it to go wrong. Make sure to allow yourself extra time.

Everyone I've talked to said TCOM was their most laid back interview. It's really conversational; both of my interviewers went on tangents. The best thing to do is just roll with it! I talked about traditional chinese medicine & alternative therapies with one of my interviewers for a good 20 minutes. I think I only answered like 2-3 questions each from each interviewer, all about parts of my application & personality. :luck:

I had my interviews today and all of my interviewers were incredibly nice and laid back. The conversations flowed naturally and my interviews lasted 45 minutes each because we talked so much :laugh:. Very nice faculty.

Once you're in Fort Worth, I'd suggest taking a taxicab if you can afford it. It's still very hot this time of year, and you don't want to be walking long distances or waiting for a bus for who knows how long in an interview suit. If you're lost, be sure to call TCOM for help.

LOL I am from AZ, I am accustomed to the heat :laugh: ; but my interview is the following day, so i won't be wearing my suit, i will just have a small carry on. I will check the taxi cab prices, but i would prefer to spend the least amount of money as possible. Thank you !

Hi guys! One of my classmates actually told me they were on SDN the other day and saw this post... Hahaha. I thought I would come over and say Hi! I have been SOOO busy with school. Last week we had 5 exams... And they just keep on coming. I am doing well though, and I love TCOM! It's an amazing school. I am just so grateful to be here. I hope many of you guys get accepted this year so you can experience how great medical school and TCOM really is. :rolleyes: Anyway, if you guys ever need anything, just ask, I still answer PMs ever so often, though my time for SDN threads and giving advice through that route has been taken over by studying... :luck: Good luck everyone!

Hi guys! One of my classmates actually told me they were on SDN the other day and saw this post... Hahaha. I thought I would come over and say Hi! I have been SOOO busy with school. Last week we had 5 exams... And they just keep on coming. I am doing well though, and I love TCOM! It's an amazing school. I am just so grateful to be here. I hope many of you guys get accepted this year so you can experience how great medical school and TCOM really is. :rolleyes: Anyway, if you guys ever need anything, just ask, I still answer PMs ever so often, though my time for SDN threads and giving advice through that route has been taken over by studying... :luck: Good luck everyone!

Good to see you Noshie! You've become a legend on these forums, lol.
:thumbup:

Your patience and willingness to help is much appreciated. You will be a great DO. Congrats on attending TCOM. We hope to join you next year!

If you're OOS, that's not a bad thing... from what I've heard.. It means it's still in the queue someplace... For OOS a bad thing at this stage in the game would be a letter in the mail. It's still early I think
k
\m/

I am in-state actually. Is that bad? I guess it is not as bad as getting a rejection letter, right?