UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatfield131

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, let this form be a place where we can put the do's and don'ts for this program. I am applying to DO schools this cycle and if I don't get in I will be gunning for this program, so lets get a support system started.
The application opens Nov 15th. Peace!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the lowest MCAT you've seen accepted here? I'm baffled that a friend who applied for this program was rejected, despite having an interview at UTSW during the cycle.

Sweet! Hope you get in. Mind sharing your stats?

Not sure, but hopefully I don't get screened out for getting a 124 in bio. Got a 506 (127, 125, 124, 130). Also have a 27 (8 physics, 10 verbal, 9 bio) and a 504 (127, 125, 127, 125)

I think you'll be fine. I just went through last year's thread and several people with mid-20s on their score got in. I'm really not sure what happened to him, and after he received a file review, his MCAT was supposedly too low. I think he is a very strong candidate and non-traditional with a doctorate.

Are you getting LORs specifically for the medsci program?

I think you'll be fine. I just went through last year's thread and several people with mid-20s on their score got in. I'm really not sure what happened to him, and after he received a file review, his MCAT was supposedly too low. I think he is a very strong candidate and non-traditional with a doctorate.

Are you getting LORs specifically for the medsci program?

Nope! I emailed them and they said that we can use the ones for med school!

Nope! I emailed them and they said that we can use the ones for med school!

Dude, awesome. I can pretty much apply first day. Thanks for the heads up, but it looks like we'll have a long wait before they decide.

Dude, awesome. I can pretty much apply first day. Thanks for the heads up, but it looks like we'll have a long wait before they decide.
Yupp, but the app is also opening up earlier (Nov. 15) as opposed to (I think?) December. So hopefully, we get decisions earlier too! Idk if they're changing up the essays, though. It turns out that they changed it all last year.

Not sure, but hopefully I don't get screened out for getting a 124 in bio. Got a 506 (127, 125, 124, 130). Also have a 27 (8 physics, 10 verbal, 9 bio) and a 504 (127, 125, 127, 125)

cGPA: 3.82, sGPA: 3.86, MCAT: 496-125,122,126,123 (scored 506 on aamc scored, dont know what the hell happened).
I feel like I have good letters and ECs but idk how my chances are with a low mcat.

2015 Medsci graduate here. I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have about the program. Either post on this thread or you can PM me!

I posted this on the 2015-2016 thread last year, but it's still applicable. I thought it was worth a repost:

It's great that ya'll have some current med sci students (including myself) answering your questions in here, but don't let us kill your confidence about getting into this program. Yes, if you post your "stats" and ask us what your chances of getting in are, then you should be prepared to take the good with the bad, but remember, these are just OPINIONS. Just because someone says you have zero chance of getting in this program/succeeding in this program/etc, doesn't mean a damn thing. Even if you had a crap uGPA, MCAT, extracurriculars.. whatever the case may be.. if you are accepted into this program and give it your all, YOU CAN SUCCEED. Dr. Gwirtz said something during the UNTHSC Open House a few years back that stuck with me. She said that they would not accept any students they did not believe they could help. They would not allow a student to waste their time or money on a program if they did not truly believe it would benefit the student. That statement really resonated with me. So whether you have a low uGPA or less than ideal MCAT score, if you are accepted into the program, the faculty believes wholeheartedly you can overcome those shortcomings.

I get the whole "past performance is an indicator of future success", but the whole point of this program is to get a fresh start and the chance to reinvent yourself. I'll be blatantly honest: my study skills in undergrad were TERRIBLE and I didn't realize it until I got into this program. Yeah, I could have probably pulled B's if I kept the status quo, but instead, I've been busting my ass to try out new study strategies and it has paid dividends.

If ya'll have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. I like to believe I am a good resource because I wasn't the best student in undergrad, but I haven't let that stop me from succeeding in this program. No, I don't have a 4.0, but I am damn proud of myself for the effort I have put in to make substantial changes to my study strategy and overall thought process.

I am rooting for each and every one of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
2015 Medsci graduate here. I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have about the program. Either post on this thread or you can PM me!

I posted this on the 2015-2016 thread last year, but it's still applicable. I thought it was worth a repost:

It's great that ya'll have some current med sci students (including myself) answering your questions in here, but don't let us kill your confidence about getting into this program. Yes, if you post your "stats" and ask us what your chances of getting in are, then you should be prepared to take the good with the bad, but remember, these are just OPINIONS. Just because someone says you have zero chance of getting in this program/succeeding in this program/etc, doesn't mean a damn thing. Even if you had a crap uGPA, MCAT, extracurriculars.. whatever the case may be.. if you are accepted into this program and give it your all, YOU CAN SUCCEED. Dr. Gwirtz said something during the UNTHSC Open House a few years back that stuck with me. She said that they would not accept any students they did not believe they could help. They would not allow a student to waste their time or money on a program if they did not truly believe it would benefit the student. That statement really resonated with me. So whether you have a low uGPA or less than ideal MCAT score, if you are accepted into the program, the faculty believes wholeheartedly you can overcome those shortcomings.

I get the whole "past performance is an indicator of future success", but the whole point of this program is to get a fresh start and the chance to reinvent yourself. I'll be blatantly honest: my study skills in undergrad were TERRIBLE and I didn't realize it until I got into this program. Yeah, I could have probably pulled B's if I kept the status quo, but instead, I've been busting my ass to try out new study strategies and it has paid dividends.

If ya'll have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. I like to believe I am a good resource because I wasn't the best student in undergrad, but I haven't let that stop me from succeeding in this program. No, I don't have a 4.0, but I am damn proud of myself for the effort I have put in to make substantial changes to my study strategy and overall thought process.

I am rooting for each and every one of you.

Do you happen to know if they accept interfolio for their letter of recs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this on the Application Guide: "Those that use interfolio can have the letters emailed to [email protected] from Interfolio."

Thanks for finding it for me. I guess I overlooked it. You guys are great! I'm usually not this helpless/ignorant when it comes to my future lol.

Dying for this application to open! I've called the office about 3 different times and poor Jessica does not have any of the answers to my questions.
How does this program admission work with the TCOM connection if we've submitted apps through TMDSAS this cycle? Are there things that can cross over (i.e. not submit all over again), such as transcripts, HPE evals, MCAT scores?

As far as stats, I've lived in and loved Texas all my life, UT undergrad with 3.0 GPA, but I've done about 25 hours of post-bacc courses with a 3.8 GPA (all sciences). June 18 MCAT was 504. Strong feels that this program was meant for me! Best of luck to all of us this application cycle!

Dying for this application to open! I've called the office about 3 different times and poor Jessica does not have any of the answers to my questions.
How does this program admission work with the TCOM connection if we've submitted apps through TMDSAS this cycle? Are there things that can cross over (i.e. not submit all over again), such as transcripts, HPE evals, MCAT scores?

As far as stats, I've lived in and loved Texas all my life, UT undergrad with 3.0 GPA, but I've done about 25 hours of post-bacc courses with a 3.8 GPA (all sciences). June 18 MCAT was 504. Strong feels that this program was meant for me! Best of luck to all of us this application cycle!

I do not believe that TCOM admissions and Med Sci admissions share any application materials so you would have to submit everything again. You can email a lot of the material to [email protected] (Letters via Interfolio, MCAT score report, resume/CV)

I wouldn't worried about getting "screened out". I truly believe they look at your application holistically before simply throwing you in the "no" pile for a low MCAT or GPA. I was accepted into the program with a sub 3.0 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA, and a 26 MCAT.

I wouldn't worried about getting "screened out". I truly believe they look at your application holistically before simply throwing you in the "no" pile for a low MCAT or GPA. I was accepted into the program with a sub 3.0 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA, and a 26 MCAT.

Sweet. About how big is the class size? Also, do you know when they will be hosting the Open House? And do you know if the essay prompts will be the same as last year's? Thanks!

Sweet. About how big is the class size? Also, do you know when they will be hosting the Open House? And do you know if the essay prompts will be the same as last year's? Thanks!

I think they admit between 200-215 students each year, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if/when the open house would be... when I went a few years ago it was in February. Your guess is as good as mine about the essay prompts, but I would assume they'll be the same.

Can anyone tell me how friendly they are to OOS applicants? I am from the pacific northwest but would love to live in Texas. I feel like my stats are decent:

cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.24
MCAT: 510

Graduated with BS in 2013 and have been slowly rebuilding my GPA while working as a medical assistant.

Hi everyone! Good luck on your applications to medical schools and possibly to the MedSci program! I am currently enrolled in the program this year, and would be happy to answer any questions y'all have about the experience. Feel free to post on the thread or send me a message. :)

I've gathered little bits of info that might help some of you other applicants out.
The information Webinar invite is sent via e-mail and will be next week, November 17. Call the office and give them your e-mail so you can be added to the list! Open House is in December, around the first week.
If you've applied to TCOM this past cycle, a lot of info isn't going to transfer. BUT you can call TCOM admissions and ask them for a release of info for transcripts (woohoo!). I think they said MCAT scores as well, but I'm not sure.
If anyone has the essay prompts, that would be much appreciated!

Why aren't there any essay prompts? Also, what exactly are you guys putting for "relevant" work experience?

When sending transcripts are we able to send them from our university to the gotogradschool email?

I'm retaking my MCAT in Jan (my score now won't do me any favors) so hopefully that's not too late bc I won't have the score until end of Feb!

Change of information. TCOM only releases your MCAT and transcripts to UNT if you are applying for the dual program. So here goes ordering all my transcripts again, what a pain.

Has anyone gotten an email about the webinar yet?
I got an e-mail on November 3 confirming the date change of the webinar. It's Thursday, November 17 at 6PM (tomorrow).

What are some backup MedSci programs in the Dallas area that we can apply to? I'm really nervous about not getting in and having wasted a whole year

Received an email stating that the webinar has been postponed due to scheduling conflicts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What are some backup MedSci programs in the Dallas area that we can apply to? I'm really nervous about not getting in and having wasted a whole year

Same. I thought about the TTUHSC program but they literally take 10 people so maybe another back up for my back up...

How many applications do they receive per year?

And, are there interviews conducted for this program? (Might be a silly question, but some programs conduct phone interviews)

How many applications do they receive per year?

And, are there interviews conducted for this program? (Might be a silly question, but some programs conduct phone interviews)

No interviews and roughly 700-800 applicants. They accept 230 students.

No interviews and roughly 700-800 applicants. They accept 230 students.

Is there the same in-state bias as for the med school? I think it's something like 90% of spots go to TX residents

Is there the same in-state bias as for the med school? I think it's something like 90% of spots go to TX residents
No clue, honestly.

I didn't find the informational powerpoint to be very thorough. Does anyone know when they send out decisions for acceptance, etc?

I don't know if the MedSci program has to accept mostly in-state residents by law like the state-supported med schools do, but in our program this year, the proportion of texas residents to non-texas residents mirrors that of the TCOM class - I think we have something like 85-90% TX residents and about 10% out-of-state residents.

No clue, honestly.

I didn't find the informational powerpoint to be very thorough. Does anyone know when they send out decisions for acceptance, etc?

From what I remember last year, acceptances are given on a rolling basis. So, the sooner your app is in, the sooner a decision is made. Last year, I submitted everything early in February, and heard about my acceptance in early April.

Shoot, I missed the webinar. Would anybody who attended it care to share any info that you found valuable?

EDIT: Just read that it was postponed

Last edited:
What's the lowest MCAT you've seen accepted here? I'm baffled that a friend who applied for this program was rejected, despite having an interview at UTSW during the cycle.
What were your friend's stats??

Shoot, I missed the webinar. Would anybody who attended it care to share any info that you found valuable?

EDIT: Just read that it was postponed
It was a short PowerPoint and there were only a few things that were informational, not found on their website:
2016-2017 class had an average GPA of 3.41 and an average MCAT of 501. They seat 230 students out of 700-800 applicants. Highly recommended to register/retake the MCAT no later August and apply to medical schools in the summer.

It was a short PowerPoint and there were only a few things that were informational, not found on their website:
2016-2017 class had an average GPA of 3.41 and an average MCAT of 501. They seat 230 students out of 700-800 applicants. Highly recommended to register/retake the MCAT no later August and apply to medical schools in the summer.
Thanks for the info!

From what I remember last year, acceptances are given on a rolling basis. So, the sooner your app is in, the sooner a decision is made. Last year, I submitted everything early in February, and heard about my acceptance in early April.

Would the earliest be in March? I've heard they don't start sending anything out until the applications close. True?

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome!

Hey I'm actually a reapplicant. There was nobody who was accepted prior to the deadline last year, at least on the last year's thread. People started getting accepted at the end of March. I got my acceptance at the end of April.

Hey I'm actually a reapplicant. There was nobody who was accepted prior to the deadline last year, at least on the last year's thread. People started getting accepted at the end of March. I got my acceptance at the end of April.
Wait, you got your acceptance, but you're a reapplicant?

Wait, you got your acceptance, but you're a reapplicant?

Yes I declined the offer because I was offered a job at a hospital on the same day I was accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes I declined the offer because I was offered a job at a hospital on the same day I was accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Ah, I see! Sorry for pestering.
Since you've gone through the process, how do they send out verification that your application is complete?

Ah, I see! Sorry for pestering.
Since you've gone through the process, how do they send out verification that your application is complete?
No problem. I will be happy to answer questions about the admission process.
Not sure if you've submitted your application already, but once you do, they will email you an ID and a password to check the status of your app. The documents missing on your app should show up under the "To-Do" list. Once you have everything, your app will be marked "Complete" with a green circle.

No problem. I will be happy to answer questions about the admission process.
Not sure if you've submitted your application already, but once you do, they will email you an ID and a password to check the status of your app. The documents missing on your app should show up under the "To-Do" list. Once you have everything, your app will be marked "Complete" with a green circle.
I'm finishing up the essays, but otherwise everything is submitted. I should be able to have everything by this weekend. Good to know, thanks for the info!