Untucked Scrubs: I think I have OCD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
njbmd - Why is it better to be tucked, especially if the top is long on a person, and when you're in the OR, you have a gown over them anyway?

People are worried that the loose flapping scrub top will contaminate your hands during/after scrubbing, before gowning up.

Members don't see this ad.

People are worried that the loose flapping scrub top will contaminate your hands during/after scrubbing, before gowning up.
It would take a Marilyn Monroe-esque blowing of the top to hit your hands. I would be more worried about it touching other sterile equipment before gowning up.

It would take a Marilyn Monroe-esque blowing of the top to hit your hands. I would be more worried about it touching other sterile equipment before gowning up.

Sometimes an untucked scrub top will hang a few inches away from your abdomen - so occasionally there may be a risk of it brushing up against your sterile hands, wrists or forearms.

Yes, you're also correct in that when you lean forward (e.g. to pick up your sterile towel to dry off your hands), the untucked scrub top may also touch something sterile at that time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ah HA! Thanks for the explanation. Seems not really likely but definitely possible.

Outside of scrubbing-in situations (OR, OB), if someone has enough time to notice/worry/pass judgement about someone not tucking in a scrub top, they aren't busy enough and need to find more to do.

I'm sure some people think clogs are dowdy looking and uprofessional. I would bet many here that think untucked is bad, wear clogs.

That look was pioneered by EM docs...it's actually known as the "ED Mullet."

I always thought it was a radiology mullet.

It seems to be a more surgical thing to tuck and allows easier access to the pager. Whenever I wear scrubs I can't tuck. I have to mix and match sizes and the size that fits my shoulders and arms right is just a little too short. If I go up to the next size at that hospital I'd have a vneck going down a few inches too far. I'm a dude and prefer not to use double sided tape, but also prefer to not flash my nips or hairy chest everywhere