Unusual PostBacc situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STTOS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm doing this right!... If not forgive me, it's my first time using a forum. Anyways. I feel lost in the whole attempt of wanting to go into a Postbacc program. I feel that I don't fit any criteria, but at the same time I do.

Background: Just graduated with a B.S in Psychology back in May 2016. My school was a private school and ONLY offered a B.S degree in Psychology and not a B.A. I want to become a DO* or MD. But I'm someone who needs an environment where others are heading the same direction. No interested in Medicine until my Senior year as my interest was in Psychology.

So far, I've taken: (1) yr Gen Chem w/ Lab, (1) yr Ochem w/ Lab, (1) yr Physics w/ Lab, and (1) semester Biochemistry w/Lab, (1) yr Stats [Psych stats + regular Stats], (1) semester of Pre-Calculus.

I took those classes because they were interesting as any other class, and not because I had any thoughts of going into Medicine back then.

What I have NOT taken: (1) yr General Biology w/ Lab, (1) sem/yr Calculus, (1) yr Anatomy/Physiology.

My confusion: Everywhere I've looked, it seems I would fall under the category of "Career Changers". However I've emailed + read a lot of the requirements and it's either that I'm missing (1) year of Biology OR I've taken too many Pre-req courses. Not only that but most of them keep saying I can't have a "science-related" degree. This is probably a stupid question, but does my Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology count even though they didn't ask us to take ANY classes in science save for a Chem/Physics class? And like stated, the school didn't give us a choice between BA or BS. They only offered the latter. My first priority is finding a Post Bacc program that allows me with what I have in California (mainly Southern California if possible). I'm already looking at out of state but it's so expensive...

I don't know if this will help but here are my numbers:
CGPA: 3.32
BGPA: 3.48
No Research, Shadowed (1) Physician for 4 months [ongoing], Interned (1) yr at a Nonprofit Drug Rehab clinic, and various random volunteering most non-medicine related. ...That's depressingly it.

...I'm at a complete loss of where I fall, where to begin, where to look, or what to even do anymore. I would appreciate any help whatsoever as this is my last resort. Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.