Unusual Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A certain medical school is not recognized by the California and NY state medical boards. Now according to the information I have, one wouldnt be able to get residency in CA or NY due to the aforementioned reason. But
Q1. Can you apply for fellowship in CA and NY?
Q2. Once you finish residency can you become licensed in CA and NY and then practice there?

It would be great if you could mention your source(of info) in the reply.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

are you referring to a carribean medschool? or a US medschool that someone lost their legitimacy?

A certain medical school is not recognized by the California and NY state medical boards. Now according to the information I have, one wouldnt be able to get residency in CA or NY due to the aforementioned reason. But
Q2. Once you finish residency can you become licensed in CA and NY and then practice there?

Thank you.

I don't know the answer to Q1. But AFAIK, the answer to Q2 is no. California will not grant a license to someone who graduates from an unapproved med school. Also, in previous cases where they have approved a school that was previously not approved, it did not apply retroactively to graduates before the program's accreditation.

I would assume Q2 is also no, but training licenses are different so there may be a loophole there.

Moral of the story: diploma mills are bad.

1. California- the answer should be no but write an email out to the board. NY the answer should be yes.
2. Nope, never. If a school does not have Cali approval when a student started there, then the student will never be approved.

Thank you.

I believe some places will let you do a fellowship even if you aren't license eligible. I know some foreign medical school grads who have done fellowships without being US license eligible. But no, you won't be able to bootstrap your way to a license.

The answer to Q1 for CA is definitely no. All residents in CA need a FULL license to train beyond the end of PGY-2. Hence, all PGY-3+ training requires a ful license -- at least that's the way I think it works.

The answer to Q1 for CA is definitely no. All residents in CA need a FULL license to train beyond the end of PGY-2. Hence, all PGY-3+ training requires a ful license -- at least that's the way I think it works.

We've sent several Canuck docs for fellowship in CA. Full Canadian license, not eligible for US licensing but no problem at all doing a fellowship (at UCSD).
Can't sit the board exam though, natch.

We've sent several Canuck docs for fellowship in CA. Full Canadian license, not eligible for US licensing but no problem at all doing a fellowship (at UCSD).
Can't sit the board exam though, natch.

Why wouldn't Canadian physician's be eligible for a US medical license? :confused:

You are not required to be a US citizen or have trained in the US to obtain a medical license. Your medical education (and any other requirements) simply need to be acceptable to the state issuing the license. Given the LCME status of most Canadian medical schools and the knowledge of their residency training programs, there is no wholesale reason that Canadians are not eligible to work in the US (as a matter of fact, many Canadians *do* work in the US in "border" states and live back home in Canada).

These are state by state requirements.

And sitting for a board examination also depends on the requirements of the particular board. Some will not accept any foreign training and others will (especially if the person has Royal College certification).

Why wouldn't Canadian physician's be eligible for a US medical license? :confused:

You are not required to be a US citizen or have trained in the US to obtain a medical license. Your medical education (and any other requirements) simply need to be acceptable to the state issuing the license. Given the LCME status of most Canadian medical schools and the knowledge of their residency training programs, there is no wholesale reason that Canadians are not eligible to work in the US (as a matter of fact, many Canadians *do* work in the US in "border" states and live back home in Canada).

These are state by state requirements.

And sitting for a board examination also depends on the requirements of the particular board. Some will not accept any foreign training and others will (especially if the person has Royal College certification).

About half the states accept Canadian licensing, at the state level. So once you make it into the country, you can get licensed and work in that state.

But on the fed level our licensing isn't accepted, so it's the getting into the country that's a problem. You can't apply for a work visa if the government doesn't recognize the credentials you need for the work.

Getting a training license on a student visa's no problem though. We can't sit the boards (at least not where we've been training, CA and NC) because for that we'd need the Steps plus a primary US residency, but since Canada doesn't even have the Fellowship we're in it's not like passing the boards would make any difference ;)