Unwaived LOR to be used at INTERVIEWS ONLY.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyblue2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys should shed some light on this..

If I have 3-4 strong LORs that are waived and I submit to ERAS. Would it benefit me at all to have additional unwaived letters that I could have with me during interviews? Would it harm to do so?

I'm also basing this on assuming the two IM physicians I asked during my third year will come through. One being a chair. I will also have 3 months of medicine electives prior to september so hoping to get letters from them as well.

I asked the third physician from my IM core because I honestly wasn't sure how "strong" his LOR would be.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. thx

Members don't see this ad.

If I have 3-4 strong LORs that are waived and I submit to ERAS. Would it benefit me at all to have additional unwaived letters that I could have with me during interviews? Would it harm to do so?

I'm also basing this on assuming the two IM physicians I asked during my third year will come through. One being a chair. I will also have 3 months of medicine electives prior to september so hoping to get letters from them as well.

I asked the third physician from my IM core because I honestly wasn't sure how "strong" his LOR would be.

I'd advise against this tactic. 1) The LORs are most useful to get the interview in the first place. If you've been granted an interview, the letters submitted via ERAS have done their job. 2) Unwaived letters are generally less meaningful. 3) ERAS caps the number of LORs at 4, and that is plenty.

Reactions: 1 users

What's the purpose of the extra LOR? Pick 3 strong ones (plus your Chair's Letter if your school does that) and be done with it. NEVER bother getting a LOR from someone you don't think (or know) will write you an excellent letter. If you feel like you need to ask somebody to write you a letter for political reasons (Pro Tip: you don't), just don't use it.

4 LORs is more than enough.

Reactions: 1 users