UOP interview process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LCTran

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello!!

I have an interview at UOP on nov 5 and was wondering if anyone had any good tips and if there was an essay! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

LCTran, could you please tell me alittle bit about your GPA and your stat? :)
Good luck on your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mandy_2 said:
LCTran, could you please tell me alittle bit about your GPA and your stat? :)
Good luck on your interview.

hi! my stats were not very good! i graduated from berkeley with a 3.06 bioengineering degree. i turned in my app during tier 1 tho so maybe that's what helped!!

Hey LCTran ... I'm bioE from Cal too ... applying to UOP this yr as well ... completed my app in mid-Aug... haven't heard from them yet .... when did you complete your app?

faradayampere said:
Hey LCTran ... I'm bioE from Cal too ... applying to UOP this yr as well ... completed my app in mid-Aug... haven't heard from them yet .... when did you complete your app?

Hey faradayampere! i turned my application in mid august too. i'm sure you will hear from them soon! dont' worry! :)

I wonder if Tier 2 interviews will be held before December. I attended the Open House in September, and they said they received about 400 applications for Tier 1 :confused: I received a letter in the mail today saying my application is complete. How soon after you guys received this letter did you guys get interview invitations. I'm just a little impatient :rolleyes:
Thanks!
Tami :)

I just got my interview notice in the mail today from UoP. I got all of my application material in on exactly Sept.1 so I think I barely made the tier 1 deadline. I graduated from UCD in Biochem but didn't do very well. I worked a couple of years and just did a year of post-bacc. to improve my GPA. When I applied I had a 3.2 overall, 3.0 Science. Hope that helps.

Good luck faradayampere. I am sure you'll get an interview.

pharmer_tami, I got my interview about a month after I received the letter saying that my application was complete.

Cheers,
Mikey

mikey_rx said:
I just got my interview notice in the mail today from UoP. I got all of my application material in on exactly Sept.1 so I think I barely made the tier 1 deadline. I graduated from UCD in Biochem but didn't do very well. I worked a couple of years and just did a year of post-bacc. to improve my GPA. When I applied I had a 3.2 overall, 3.0 Science. Hope that helps.

Good luck faradayampere. I am sure you'll get an interview.

pharmer_tami, I got my interview about a month after I received the letter saying that my application was complete.

Cheers,
Mikey

so i'm assuming your interview is january?

TO PHARMER_TAMI:
no, nov 5th is their last interview for the yr. then they pick things up in january. i know b/c i had to reschedule my 10/22 interview (since i got my letter late) and my choices were either 11/5 or wait till jan.

endlesslove said:
so i'm assuming your interview is january?

TO PHARMER_TAMI:
no, nov 5th is their last interview for the yr. then they pick things up in january. i know b/c i had to reschedule my 10/22 interview (since i got my letter late) and my choices were either 11/5 or wait till jan.

Thanks for letting me know that- I just hope that I won't be having interviews on the same weekend since the other schools I'm applying to give interviews in January. (UCSD, UCSF, USC, UOP) I guess it would save me a trip if UCSF and UOP interviews happen to be on the same weekend but hopefully not date!

pharmer_tami said:
Thanks for letting me know that- I just hope that I won't be having interviews on the same weekend since the other schools I'm applying to give interviews in January. (UCSD, UCSF, USC, UOP) I guess it would save me a trip if UCSF and UOP interviews happen to be on the same weekend but hopefully not date!

The UOP interview is very relaxed. You are interviewed by three people, 2 current pharmacy students and 1 faculty member. The students are very friendly and are not going to "grill" you, it is very much like a casual conversation. They will ask you things like where you're from, why you want to go into pharmacy, what you can contribute to the school, etc. The professor will be a much more standard interview. The questions that are almost ALWAYS asked are 1) How do you see pharmacy changing in ten years? 2) What do you believe you can contribute to the profession? 3) What qualities make you ideally suited for pharmacy?

Believe me, every school asked those 3 questions.

Anyways, there is also an essay to complete. You have 2 hours, I believe, to finish it, and the format the past few years has been the same. You are given an ethnical scenario and you must chose what you would do in that situation and justify it. Last year's scenario was that a young girl came in for a prescription for birth control pills. Her father is a friend of yours and asks why his daughter was in the pharmacy and what her prescription was for (I believe the prompt made you assume he was already suspicious). You have to decide whether you tell him the truth or invoke patient privacy. The question is open ended and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, but things to concentrate on are to make NO spelling errors at all and to make sure your grammar and organization are in order.

I was an undergrad at UOP and I also interviewed there last year so I'm very familiar with the process. I also interviewed at all of the other cali pharm schools except Western (didnt apply), so if you guys have any question about the other schools just holler.

Oh, and UCSD and UCSF coordinate interview dates together so that they will never conflict with one another. USC interviews are typically at the beginning of a month, while UCSF interviews near the beginning of February, so there shouldn't be too much of a conflict.

Lexian said:
The UOP interview is very relaxed. You are interviewed by three people, 2 current pharmacy students and 1 faculty member. The students are very friendly and are not going to "grill" you, it is very much like a casual conversation. They will ask you things like where you're from, why you want to go into pharmacy, what you can contribute to the school, etc. The professor will be a much more standard interview. The questions that are almost ALWAYS asked are 1) How do you see pharmacy changing in ten years? 2) What do you believe you can contribute to the profession? 3) What qualities make you ideally suited for pharmacy?

Believe me, every school asked those 3 questions.

Anyways, there is also an essay to complete. You have 2 hours, I believe, to finish it, and the format the past few years has been the same. You are given an ethnical scenario and you must chose what you would do in that situation and justify it. Last year's scenario was that a young girl came in for a prescription for birth control pills. Her father is a friend of yours and asks why his daughter was in the pharmacy and what her prescription was for (I believe the prompt made you assume he was already suspicious). You have to decide whether you tell him the truth or invoke patient privacy. The question is open ended and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, but things to concentrate on are to make NO spelling errors at all and to make sure your grammar and organization are in order.

I was an undergrad at UOP and I also interviewed there last year so I'm very familiar with the process. I also interviewed at all of the other cali pharm schools except Western (didnt apply), so if you guys have any question about the other schools just holler.

Oh, and UCSD and UCSF coordinate interview dates together so that they will never conflict with one another. USC interviews are typically at the beginning of a month, while UCSF interviews near the beginning of February, so there shouldn't be too much of a conflict.

Wow, that helps a lot! Thank you!! I haven't gotten any other interviews yet in California but what you posted for UOP was really helpful! thanks again! :D

"Anyways, there is also an essay to complete. You have 2 hours, I believe, to finish it, and the format the past few years has been the same. "

when i was interviewing at UOP, i only had 45 mins to write the essay.
i dunno where that 2 hr come from.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucdbiochem said:
"Anyways, there is also an essay to complete. You have 2 hours, I believe, to finish it, and the format the past few years has been the same. "

when i was interviewing at UOP, i only had 45 mins to write the essay.
i dunno where that 2 hr come from.

I remember having about 2 hours because I wrote a ton. *shrug* Maybe I'm confusing it with UCSD since that essay had like no time limit, at least not when I went last year. I guess I should say I thought there was enough time to write the essay at UOP and to have a chance to proofread it over also.

Wow...a lot of Berkeley attendees and grads. I'm a Berkeley grad myself. Class of 2003! Anyways I turned in my UOP and USC app before September 1st. I got interviews to both schools thus far. I just turned all my out of state and UCSD and UCSF school apps about 2 weeks ago.

My graduated CAL with a 3.097 or something like that but my cumulative according to PharmCAS is a 3.3 and my science gpa is like a 3.1. I forget really. I think the best thing for these interviews to stay calm and be honest. You are who are you and putting up a front is not going to help you out. I haven't interviewed for schools before but I'm interviewed for researcd jobs and other things but they are all very similar. An interview is an interview. Thanks for the UOP tip though. I'm in the current progress of reading up on the schools and other pharm issues.

Good luck to ppl who are going to the interviews .... i'm sure you will all do fine ....

LCTran said:
hello!!

I have an interview at UOP on nov 5 and was wondering if anyone had any good tips and if there was an essay! Thanks! :)

hey gusy where is UOP? and if is it easy to get into tht program? I have a GPA of 2.5. I m working towards to bring it up. I also work in a pharmacy as a technician. What do you guys think? I'll appreciate your reply
thank you
I AM IN BIG ****!!!!!!

humtum said:
hey gusy where is UOP? and if is it easy to get into tht program? I have a GPA of 2.5. I m working towards to bring it up. I also work in a pharmacy as a technician. What do you guys think? I'll appreciate your reply
thank you
I AM IN BIG ****!!!!!!

University of the Pacific (UOP) is in Stockton, CA which is about 45minutes away from Sacramento and about 1.5 hours away from San Francisco. It's in the central valley. They accept about 200 students, but like all of the phamacy schools, received well over 1000 apps total. It's one of four accredited pharmacy schools in the state. You should talk to the admissions office to get their opinion on your application in general since they also take into account other factors besides GPA like your work experience, volunteer experience, etc., but I would say to be as competitive as possible to get your Math/Science GPA up to at least a 2.8 and your overall around the 3.0 mark. That's the current cut off for the Pre-Pharmacy undergrads at UOP, but I know they're considering raising those cut offs. But GPA isn't the lone factor, so don't stress too much. Definitely talk to admissions and get they're advice on it.

Best of luck to ya.

Lexian said:
University of the Pacific (UOP) is in Stockton, CA which is about 45minutes away from Sacramento and about 1.5 hours away from San Francisco. It's in the central valley. They accept about 200 students, but like all of the phamacy schools, received well over 1000 apps total. It's one of four accredited pharmacy schools in the state. You should talk to the admissions office to get their opinion on your application in general since they also take into account other factors besides GPA like your work experience, volunteer experience, etc., but I would say to be as competitive as possible to get your Math/Science GPA up to at least a 2.8 and your overall around the 3.0 mark. That's the current cut off for the Pre-Pharmacy undergrads at UOP, but I know they're considering raising those cut offs. But GPA isn't the lone factor, so don't stress too much. Definitely talk to admissions and get they're advice on it.

hey Lexian,
thank you for your reply. I live in new jersey, is it possible to give me the admission office's phone number. I hope I can get into one of these pharmacy schools. I am sick and tired of worrying about it. I feel like I picked wrong thing at the wrong time......
I will call them up as soon as I get their phone number. I really hope they can tell me something positive.
thank you very much
n good luck to you too..

hey Lexian,
thank you for your reply. I live in new jersey, is it possible to give me the admission office's phone number. I hope I can get into one of these pharmacy schools. I am sick and tired of worrying about it. I feel like I picked wrong thing at the wrong time......
I will call them up as soon as I get their phone number. I really hope they can tell me something positive.
thank you very much
n good luck to you too..

No problem.

Here is the website for the UOP Pharmacy School admissions page. (http://www1.uop.edu/pharmacy/admissions.html)

The person to talk to is Veronica Semler, and her email is [email protected]

Her phone number is (209) 946-2211.

I would definitely check out the website, read the FAQ's and other admission sections on the website before calling or emailing so that you can bring up all the questions you have to her at one time. Good luck. :)

Lexian said:
No problem.

Here is the website for the UOP Pharmacy School admissions page. (http://www1.uop.edu/pharmacy/admissions.html)

The person to talk to is Veronica Semler, and her email is [email protected]

Her phone number is (209) 946-2211.

I would definitely check out the website, read the FAQ's and other admission sections on the website before calling or emailing so that you can bring up all the questions you have to her at one time. Good luck. :)
Thank you Lexian

I really really appreciate your help. I will let you know what I find out from them.
thankx

anyone applied to UOP tier 1 and still not heard anything from them yet?

LCTran said:
hello!!

I know this is a bit late. I have a friend who graduated from UOP that lives in the studio beneath my house and he told me that he used to grade the papers. They don't care about what you write! As long as it makes sense its fine. They don't read for content. The are VERY VERY strict on grammar and sentence structure and spelling! So for those future applicants and interviewees, focus more on those than content. Just make sure it makes sense and its your opinion . It wasn't so bad.

*new member*
I really want to become a pharmacist...
My problem is my gpa sucks....or it feels like it sucks
I have a 3.1~3.0
C,B,B+ in Ochem
C,B in Gen Chem
B's in Biology

do i even have a chance of getting into pharmacy program on west coast?

those are basically all i have right now...grades...
oh and i started a community tutoring program

thanks for reading this guys/gals
-sonny

Sunny, don't even trip. I graduated from CAL with a 3.097 and then i took a bunch of pre-pharmacy classes at JCs and was able to bring up my gpa at least accordint to PharmCAS to a 3.3. I got Bs in ochem, c- in bio 1b and c+ in bio 1a and C+ in physics. I got As and Bs in other areas. As long as you there is an upward trend in your grades then its good.

I have a lot of extracurricular activities and good research experience though.

If you have lots of experience and extracurricular activities then you've got a really good chance. I mean even with my crappy grades i got an interivew to uop and usc...just don't give up...

sonny said:
*new member*
I have a 3.1~3.0
C,B,B+ in Ochem
C,B in Gen Chem
B's in Biology

-sonny

I agree with Minghoo. You should be fine. As long as you get strong letters of rec, have extracurriculars, experience, etc. you should be fine. GPA isn't the only thing they're looking at. Just as long as you're well rounded :)

sonny said:
*new member*
I have a 3.1~3.0
C,B,B+ in Ochem
C,B in Gen Chem
B's in Biology

-sonny

Don't worry ... for me, at this stage (i.e. when you mail in your app), stat and number do not seem to be mattered at all. As long as you have an "okay" stat, then everything seems depending on how lucky you are.

I have a 3.83 GPA from Cal, applied to UOP a long time ago (in mid-August) .. and have not heard anything from them yet (and they started their interview season a long time ago also) ... from this forum, many people who have "okay" GPA were invited alreay => GPA is not that important in this process....so, I am starting to worry now ....

Thanks to all that replied!!
I appreciate it!
Hope everything works out for all of us!

hello can anyone help me with interview questions for pharmd please?

Last edited:
hey thank you so much. it would be helpful for me. i m going to apply for university of pacific and western health university? so i am preparing for interview as well. can please you tell me how can i get updated question banks for university of pacific.
thanks..

hey thank you so much. it would be helpful for me. i m going to apply for university of pacific and western health university? so i am preparing for interview as well. can please you tell me how can i get updated question banks for university of pacific.
thanks..

I did not apply to those schools so I have no idea. Hope others chime in....