UoP Recommended Open Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs113891

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that UOP provides recommended laptops for students to purchase for school use. According to the website, the recommended laptops are preconfigured to work with the school's network and printing resources, and other supported service by the school.

I was wondering if the recommended laptop is really necessary or I can just bring my own.

Can current UOP students share their experience with their recommended laptops? What's the benefit of it? Would you say it's absolutely necessary, recommended, or doesn't really matter? Do the laptops come pre-installed with programs and files that are necessary/helpful for school?

Also if anyone has tried using their own laptop at UOP, can you share your experiences as well?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I plan on buying my own. UOPs computer requirements are basic, and any mildly competent IT staff should be able to assist with connecting to the wifi, network printers and installation of the school's software on any system utilizing the Windows or Mac OS platforms (probably even linux too). Buy what you like, are familiar and comfortable with, and can afford. Just note that some "ultrabooks" do not have a RJ45 ethernet port, a requirement according to their website.

The second day of school is a laptop orientation where I assume everything is loaded onto the recommended laptops or the laptop of our preference. Check the thread on the UoP Class of '15 Facebook page.

It doesn't matter. Just bring your own.