Upcoming Cycle - How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Applications for American dental schools are opening up this June and I was wondering if it is considered too late to apply at the end of August. The reason why I am planning to apply at the end of August as opposed to June is because I will be taking a summer semester course and won't be able to receive a reference letter from my professor until the end of the course.

Also I am a Canadian student applying, and from what I have heard the earlier you apply the better. But right now I am having difficulty collecting reference letters. I am worried that since I am considered international, it is not a good idea to be applying so late into the cycle.

I would appreciate any advice on this since I am new to applications!

My American DAT Scores are AA:21, TS:21, PAT: 18, RC: 23 BIO: 21 GC: 23 OC: 20 QR: 18
and my GPA is about a 3.53/4.0.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

i recommend submitting app as soon as possible and then updating it with the letter of recommendation afterwards.

i recommend submitting app as soon as possible and then updating it with the letter of recommendation afterwards.

Am I able to do that on AADSAS - I thought that my application had to be complete (transcript, DAT scores, letters etc..) before I can send it off to schools? Or are reference letters part of the supplemental application that schools will request after I submit my application? If that is the case, would I still be offered an interview before my reference letters are submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I able to do that on AADSAS - I thought that my application had to be complete (transcript, DAT scores, letters etc..) before I can send it off to schools? Or are reference letters part of the supplemental application that schools will request after I submit my application? If that is the case, would I still be offered an interview before my reference letters are submitted?
I've asked multiple schools about this in person (UCLA, UOP, Western, USC) and they've all told me that if even one piece of the application is missing, they won't look at it at all. So you need every single piece completed before they even recognize you as having applied. It sucks, I know, because I'm in a similar situation (which is why I asked them in the first place).

Reactions: 1 users

You don't actually submit the letter yourself in AADSAS. All you do is write the info of the person writing you the recommendation like his email. You can also edit that page after you submit your app. The adcom won't review your file til your app is complete.

So wth

are LOR required immediately to get some action by these schools..???

Geez

You don't actually submit the letter yourself in AADSAS. All you do is write the info of the person writing you the recommendation like his email. You can also edit that page after you submit your app. The adcom won't review your file til your app is complete.
How do they get the letters then? You put the professor's email and then...?

How do they get the letters then? You put the professor's email and then...?

AADSAS sends a portal/info for the prof to submit the letter to his email. If he needs the info again later on, you just remove his info from your AADSAS and add his info again.

AADSAS sends a portal/info for the prof to submit the letter to his email. If he needs the info again later on, you just remove his info from your AADSAS and add his info again.

This same process applies even with something like Interfolio? I was under the impression that if you used interfolio, you just store the letters there and then use interfolio to submit to AADSAS. Seems a bit unnecessary to have the profs go through that lol

So if I ask my professor to write me a reference letter and they agree to it, I will then input their contact info into AADSAS. And then, my professors will contacted later on through the system and be told what info they request to be included in the letters? Or should I still be outlining what I would like to be included in the letters?

Does it put me at a major disadvantage if I have to wait all the way until the end of August to get a reference letter?

I've asked multiple schools about this in person (UCLA, UOP, Western, USC) and they've all told me that if even one piece of the application is missing, they won't look at it at all. So you need every single piece completed before they even recognize you as having applied. It sucks, I know, because I'm in a similar situation (which is why I asked them in the first place).

Does it put me at a major disadvantage if I have to wait all the way until the end of August to get a reference letter?
The end of August is late. People have already gotten interview invites by the end of august.

im not sure about major but yes, thats a bit of a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think most schools will look at your application without everything. That being said, you can send out your application before you get your letters, but it wont be considered complete until the schools received everything, and that's the status that matters.

Method of delivering the LOR are based on preference and whats available to you. For example my adviser took care of mine for me, didnt even know interfolio existed until I started browsing this forum.

By the end of August the schools are going to be piled with literally thousands of applications. Personally if it were me, I would rather get a so so LOR and apply early than wait that long. I could be mistaken though.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied at the end of August and I truly believe I missed out on some interviews bc of that. Get the app out in June!

By the end of August the schools are going to be piled with literally thousands of applications. Personally if it were me, I would rather get a so so LOR and apply early than wait that long. I could be mistaken though.

I have a chance of getting one or two at the end of June which is not bad right? :)

Thanks everyone for the advice !!

Which option is better ?
A- last years LOR which are very good organic chem prof. , dental laboratory prof, physics prof.

Or

B- new LOR from recent professors but probably not as good. Microbio and organic chem 2

I use Interfolio so I have last years LOR ready asap.

Which option is better ?
A- last years LOR which are very good organic chem prof. , dental laboratory prof, physics prof.

Or

B- new LOR from recent professors but probably not as good. Microbio and organic chem 2

Hey teddy bear do you mind telling me how interfolio works? When I apply next year how do I link it to interfolio?

Which option is better ?

Or

Also obviously the first ones are better, duh teddy bear

Hey teddy bear do you mind telling me how interfolio works? When I apply next year how do I link it to interfolio?

Interfolio , consider it like an external memory board, you can save all your documents there, all you need to do is open account and have the persons email, from which you are requesting the LOR.

Ok, so when it is time to upload the LOR to AADSAS, you just have to go to Interfolio and send the saved LOR's to AADSAS, and Interfolio already have AADSAS's address.

It is a simple process.

From
Ferocious shark

So do I choose Option A or B

?

Why not both teddy?
We are limited to 4 LOR's

2-3 sciences and 1 dentist

I could get a new dentist LOR

but

It would be time consuming to get new LOR from professors....

I want to stick with last years, but how would that look for a re-applicant?

Reactions: 1 user
:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

Just...

Take the best from both teddy. The best from both.

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

Just...

Take the best from both teddy. The best from both.

Omg

lol

Really?

Wouldn't admission faculty look down upon this?

Any body else have any thing to add??

We are limited to 4 LOR's

2-3 sciences and 1 dentist

I could get a new dentist LOR

but

It would be time consuming to get new LOR from professors....

I want to stick with last years, but how would that look for a re-applicant?
Thanks for the help TEDDY BEAR!!!

i would consider waiting to apply until next cycle, end of august is too late and i think it would be a waste of money esp since you are international.. use this gap year to get good recc letters and gain more shadow/volunteer hours and next year you can be ready to go june 1st.

Would you say that the latest time I should apply is end of July? or end of June?

Would you say that the latest time I should apply is end of July? or end of June?

Ideally, you'd would want everything in by end of June. But getting those LOR's can be a b*tch, even if you give the writers 6 months in advance of notice.

I got all of mine in July 7th. Doesnt seem like it made too much of a difference. It would seem like anywhere before Aug should be pretty safe.

Ideally, you'd would want everything in by end of June. But getting those LOR's can be a b*tch, even if you give the writers 6 months in advance of notice.

I got all of mine in July 7th. Doesnt seem like it made too much of a difference. It would seem like anywhere before Aug should be pretty safe.

Definitely, LORs are a pain but hopefully they help the application! Thanks for your advice I'll try to get everything in by early July.

Btw I am taking a nutrition and kinesiology course that has science credit, do you think that can count as a science reference letter?

Btw I am taking a nutrition and kinesiology course that has science credit, do you think that can count as a science reference letter?

Personally, I'd think letters that came from professors that teaches/taught courses that directly correlates to dental school courses are stronger (aka hard sciences).

But of course, this really depends on which school you're gunning for. My school is a bit old school and doesnt take that kind of course as science. Others might.

from my understanding it can be from any science professor, esp if you made an A in their class. also think of it more as a letter of evaluation and not as a "recommendation", you want to ask someone you think can evaluate you as a person, and speak to your character, your intellectual abilities, etc.

i go to a large university and asked two professors i only took one class with and they wrote me great letters. its also in your approach: make an appt to speak with them, dress nicely, have a packet ready to give them with a formal letter asking for their evaluation, a stamped envelope (addressed to wherever they should send it), a copy of your transcript, a copy of your resume, and a copy/draft of your personal statement.

Thanks for your advice! What I have been doing now is emailing profs in a formal way explaining what I took away from their class and why I am writing to them now and then I ask them to support me in writing a letter and offer to meet with them in person. What is your opinion on my current method? Also, is it possible for me to see an example of the formal letters you provided? (with all personal info removed ofc!)