Upcoming MS-1 Otolaryngology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an upcoming MS-1, and I have in interest in Otolaryngology and Orthopedic Surgery. I am very hands on, and I have had two very important mentors to this point in my life from people from both of these specialties. I am very aware that both of these are very competitive and research to match into one of these fields is a must. So, I am looking for books written by/about otolaryngologists to read in order to gain some insight. I have read novels from/about ortho surgeons and would like a supplemental from the other side if some exist. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am an upcoming MS-1, and I have in interest in Otolaryngology and Orthopedic Surgery. I am very hands on, and I have had two very important mentors to this point in my life from people from both of these specialties. I am very aware that both of these are very competitive and research to match into one of these fields is a must. So, I am looking for books written by/about otolaryngologists to read in order to gain some insight. I have read novels from/about ortho surgeons and would like a supplemental from the other side if some exist. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Reflections in a Head Mirror is a good blog from an academic head and neck surgeon.

Our own @ZagDoc blogged pretty actively for a while, prior to residency.

I don't know any books written by otolaryngologists in the vein of "Hot Lights, Cold Steel" or anything.

I don't know if he was an ENT, though he has spoken about head and neck cases he has done, but i LOVE Richard Selzer books. They are a wonderful read for anyone going into surgery. I'd recommend his short story collection "Mortal Lessons: Notes on the art of surgery."