Update Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

Quick question:

When e-mailing an update letter, should you print it out, sign it, scan it, and then send it as an attachment, or should you simply attach an unsigned MS Word document?

Thanks!

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a scan of my signature on my computer which I use to sign everything electronically. It makes everything so much easier.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't even bother including a signature, real or electronic. Part of it was that I didn't have that much space at the end of the page to include the several blank lines needed for a signature, and part of it was that I didn't think it was that necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: I don't think it will really make a difference. If you'd like to be more formal, then you can include the signature. Nemo's idea is cool though, I'll probably save my signature on my comp. for when needed!

Reactions: 1 user
OP: I don't think it will really make a difference. If you'd like to be more formal, then you can include the signature. Nemo's idea is cool though, I'll probably save my signature on my comp. for when needed!

Protip: if you use a Mac, you can use Preview to make the process straightforward without having to use a scanner. Go to Tools -> Annotate -> Signature (or select the Signature option after bringing up the Annotation toolbar) to "scan" a signature using your iSight camera, which can then be re-sized and included in any document.

Reactions: 2 users
Protip: if you use a Mac, you can use Preview to make the process straightforward without having to use a scanner. Go to Tools -> Annotate -> Signature (or select the Signature option after bringing up the Annotation toolbar) to "scan" a signature using your iSight camera, which can then be re-sized and included in any document.

Makes me want to get a Macbook for school now :laugh:

Sweet, thanks! You are a true Yoda.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I don't have a Mac, but I figured out how to kind of jury rig my signature into the MS Word document. Hopefully that will suffice.

-Bill

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I don't have a Mac, but I figured out how to kind of jury rig my signature into the MS Word document. Hopefully that will suffice.

-Bill

If you have an smart phone, there's a scanner app that you could use to scan your signature. Or you could take a picture of it.

-Bill

Don't leave your sig just hanging out in the word doc, it looks unprofessional. Print the word doc as a pdf and send that. This is what I did. If you write the letter in google drive there's a way to just download it as a pdf.

Or don't use a written sig at all, that's fine too.

A signed letter always looks more professional, but it doesn't really matter. But be careful with electronic signatures going forward - if you can easily cut/paste it onto other documents, so can whoever you send it to...your patients, future students, etc...