update letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluemachine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it normally a good idea to send post-secondary/pre-interview update letters? my research was just published in a high-impact journal; also, during my current gap year, ive been involved with a lot of volunteer and community service work with the underserved.

or is an update letter usually reserved for after an interview invite? i just got an II, so should i send only this update letter to that school? or should i reserve this update letter after i attend the interview?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a worthwhile approach to send a letter if you've been complete for a while and haven't heard anything back yet. I wouldn't do it if you've only been complete for a couple of weeks; that seems premature to me.

You can send updates after you get an II, but that doesn't seem like the best option to me as you could just as easily provide that update in the interview itself. You also "play your cards" and take away your ability to send an update later on - perhaps when it might be more useful and more effective.

It's a worthwhile approach to send a letter if you've been complete for a while and haven't heard anything back yet. I wouldn't do it if you've only been complete for a couple of weeks; that seems premature to me.

You can send updates after you get an II, but that doesn't seem like the best option to me as you could just as easily provide that update in the interview itself. You also "play your cards" and take away your ability to send an update later on - perhaps when it might be more useful and more effective.

I am curious about how to provide an update in an interview. Would you suggest bringing a hard copy of an update letter, or simply mentioning it to an interviewer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious about how to provide an update in an interview. Would you suggest bringing a hard copy of an update letter, or simply mentioning it to an interviewer?

Lol, don't bring a letter. Just try and fit it into the interview. If it doesn't work out, then consider sending in a letter after the interview.

Lol, don't bring a letter. Just try and fit it into the interview. If it doesn't work out, then consider sending in a letter after the interview.

Thanks. Thinking about a recent publication here, I will see if there is a moment to mention it, and perhaps send a citation later.

Edit many months later, in case anyone finds this: I actually did bring a hard copy of an update letter to an open-file interview for a school that only accepted updates during the interview itself. My interviewer was happy to take the hard copy instead of having to write down what I told him. In those circumstances, it was a good move.

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread! :) I am hoping to submit an update since I'm waiting for II's at most schools. I won a research grant this month, a fellowship and am submitting a major publication. I don't think I will mention the last one and instead save it for future updates. Hope this works!

I called up HMS and Columbia and they accept update letters pre-interview, but the person at Duke said "NO! Don't send the update in until after you get an II"...

My take-home message is to just call the admissions office at each school to ask how best to send an update letter. I am currently addressing my letters to the Committee on Admissions (not the Dean). I hope that's appropriate.

Thanks for this thread! :) I am hoping to submit an update since I'm waiting for II's at most schools. I won a research grant this month, a fellowship and am submitting a major publication. I don't think I will mention the last one and instead save it for future updates. Hope this works!

I called up HMS and Columbia and they accept update letters pre-interview, but the person at Duke said "NO! Don't send the update in until after you get an II"...

My take-home message is to just call the admissions office at each school to ask how best to send an update letter. I am currently addressing my letters to the Committee on Admissions (not the Dean). I hope that's appropriate.

Wow, I didn't realize some schools were so against it! Did they tell you to just email to the admissions email?

Wow, I didn't realize some schools were so against it! Did they tell you to just email to the admissions email?
Many schools do not accept updates before interview, others vary on post-interview updates. It's best to check websites before sending.

Reactions: 1 users

I actually sent my update to Duke anyway. I've been complete at Duke since July 1. If I am gonna get rejected at least I'll have sent in my voice (update + LOI). I sent it to the Dean and cc'ed her secretary on Monday (since I could not find an admissions e-mail on their website, probably to specifically avert my kind of contacting :confused:)... no response yet. Ah well I suppose it couldn't have hurt... much.

UCSF and Stanford didn't accept my updates (since I was pre-interview), and they sent me a simple but straightforward e-mail. JHU didn't accept it either (pre-interview), and when I replied saying sorry and please excuse me, they said "No need to apologize!"

I called 7 schools to ask about update letters and gave up after that. I just sent them on their way hahahaha

And as for the schools that let you update their webpage... Columbia, Yale, UPenn and Michigan, for example, those are the best, because then you know which format they accept the letters in, the guidelines for submitting updates, and no need to worry who to contact.