Update med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeper11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I should update my top choice med school where I am waiting for an interview invite for? I have already been accepted to one medical school and I have recently secured a pretty nice research position for next semester. I don't know whether these are worth sending updates for. Also, if I do send an update, how do I mention that I already have an acceptance but I am still waiting for my top choice to send me an invite.

Members don't see this ad.

First, don't be "that person" and brag about other acceptances. Second, every school is different on how they view update letters so it really just depends on the school. I can't imagine a tasteful and well written update ever hurting your app, so its worth a try to show you are still interested.

Don't update a school with the fact that you are accepted anywhere else. They will either 1) not care (very likely in any case) or 2) say well obviously they don't NEED us, so if you are borderline for them they may drop you.

I don't see what good could come from this. And updating them on a job that you haven't even started yet is just as useless in my mind. Anything could come up between now and when the job is supposed to start that could take the job away from you so it essentially means nothing.

Reactions: 1 user