Update on UCLA "Smart Bomb" Mouthwash (The one supposedly about to end decay)- just passed phase 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muchien

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"C3 Jian, Inc., a private company focused on providing improved oral health care, announced today that it has successfully completed the initial Phase 2 Clinical Trial for its novel drug, C16G2. The Company's drug targets the specific elimination of Streptococcus mutans, the acid producing bacterium associated with dental caries or tooth decay."

This came out last week.....I'm a D2 student with tons of debt, so I can't say I'm not worried one bit

"These results are extremely encouraging," stated Dr. Wenyuan Shi, co-founder/chief scientific officer of C3 Jian and chairman of oral biology at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). "Our initial idea of formulating the drug into a mouth rinse really didn't show any long term effect on Streptococcus mutans. Seeing the results of the drug in a gel, delivered by a manual toothbrush and especially in a dental tray are very impressive. To see notable and specific reductions of Streptococcus mutans seven days after ending all treatment is exciting. It would appear we have modified the microbiome, which may lead to long lasting protection beyond the treatment window. We are looking ahead to subsequent clinical testing to further demonstrate this effect."

Here are the Links!

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles...gets-elimination-of-streptococcus-mutans.html

http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02044081

http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/06/rdhgrad-the-effect-of-peptides-on-the-oral-cavity.html

thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Be prepared for some super mutant caries-causing bacteria to evolve!!!

6.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Streptococcus mutants will do just that, mutate.
faster than scientists can develop a new miracle cure.

drug is in a gel that must be delivered by a manual toothbrush? things will be fine. people will still not brush their teeth.

Reactions: 1 users
maybe it could help people who brush regularly but suck at it...handicap, elderly, children...

sure bugs could mount a resistance but i think it's particularly difficult for many bacteria to modify its cell membrane layer against cell perforations from peptides. also in this case, they tagged the antibiotic with an S. mutans specific subunit. I think it'd be pretty darn easy for bacteria populations to select against that antigen. Also what if another more cariogenic species ends up taking S. mutan's place? what if you select for mutated S. mutans that act like pseudomonas or other strepcocci and secrete a ton of biofilm, impeding the action of the peptides?

also how much is this stuff? if it's cost prohibitive, the patients most at risk for caries and needing the drug the most will be the poorest demographic and then it would very likely be that they can't afford this stuff...if that's the case, i'd think most dentists wouldn't consider this in their treatment plan...if this stuff is cheap then i hope it replaces peridex for patients positive for high S. mutans count

i think this stuff is pretty neat. what if you could come up with drugs that are normally broad spectrum but attach a subunit to it that corresponds to an antigen specific to pathogen and not your entire microflora? neatoooo

Last edited:
You mean no one ever has to floss again?

Wow. This title is word for word exactly what I was about to post, and with mostly the same content. Crazy.

I understand how this can have a longer effect after brushing than the simple abrasiveness of regular toothpaste. But decay isn't just caused by a solitary misbalance event of our microbiome which we can fix and go on living -- it's the amount of sugar we eat which constantly fuels the misbalance throughout our lives, right? So wouldn't you still have to keep using AMPs the same as toothpaste -- just maybe not as often?

I'm not surprised the mouthwash form didn't work just yet -- but if someone else manages to improve the solution with elements that disrupt the biofilms with swishing alone, and if they stay on top of the ball with a variety of tags for different pathogens . . . that could be a game changer. No more brushing or flossing.

I just have no concept of the chances of those ever happening. And even if it did successfully manage to work in mouthwash form (the key, to me, to make a big difference for how people use it) you'd still probably have to swish for like 10 minutes. Hell, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the thread, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly what they said about spermicidal lubricant a decade ago...and yet i still have 6 children by different mothers...
i can't believe you're doing it wrong. you're supposed to use it as a suppository. apply it to a round instrument, the larger the better. then insert said instrument into the chasm of no return located between your legs. continue b.i.d. for at least two months

So the studies show it knocks down strep mutans, but are there any studies that directly assess caries reduction?

I don't think so.

But it has been shown in a preliminary study to halt demineralization in the absence of a oral hygiene regimine and with extreme caries challenge (lots of sugar laced water). The pts in the control saw demineralization, while the treated group actually saw remineralization. Cool stuff.