Updated international Med School Info (help needed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankP2491

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been doing a lot of reading on this international topic, and I have read from various posts on this website that there are a lot of good schools internationally. Some of which are recognised as cooaperating with the curriculum of the US and so on... however all the posts I have read with some substance are from 2006-2010. I have not found anything within the last 4-5 years. I wanted to follow up with this and sorry if this is beating a dead horse but I am wondering.

I am looking into international schools as I am approaching my last year and a half in my bachelors program. I have satisfied many pre-req's not all but I will hopefully have all of them done by 2017. However I am meticulous and like to have things all accounted for so that I do not scramble when the time comes. I had read from a post from someone named Sammie a few years ago on this forum he said he was attending a school named (Poznan, Poland). Apparently, an all English program utilizing American based books and scores and exams graded by US schools and recognized and validated by "Califonia, one of the most stringent states in the US in accepting international students."

Ok now that I have that out of the way, I would like to go to a school in the US however the loans are unbelievable and I have a few Friends who go to school overseas who plans to try and practice in the US but I have read that it is "hard to find a residency and makes things more complicated" I am just wondering is this still the case as all the posts that I have read are at least 4 years old.

If this is not the case then are there any suggested schools? I am full native of the US and I have no other languages I speak so it would make it easier if I could find an all English program... Again obviously I would like to go to school in the US, but loans are a huge deal for me considering I have undergrad loans too (I know 99.99% of you prob do as well I am just saying that its a point of emphasis for me)

Thanks for the information I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

How much cheaper are these international programs? What are their match lists / rates like?

If loans are a huge deal, why not prioritize applying to US schools with lower costs of attendance?

If they are cheaper it really means they are cheaper in terms of quality, you get what you pay for. Loans are not a problem if you get into a US school. As long as I can scrap enough money to attend a US school I would do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess this is a good philosophy to have I just wanted to know my options and its tough to find information. At least accurate up to date information on any schools outside of the continental US. I know however many doctors have done so in the Caribbean or other non "domestic" schools and have had very successful careers one of which I work for another for whom my mom has worked. Both ironically are considered to be top in their field however they have also not been to med school since the 80's so I am sure that things have most likely drastically changed since those days.

As others have stated, if you want to eventually practice medicine in the US, go to a US medical school if you can. You should not be making decisions about where to attend medical school based on loan burden, you should make them based on what will give you the most options following graduation. Based on this criteria, the pecking order goes USMD>>>>>>DO>foreign schools. US citizens who go abroad for medical school are not looked favorably upon, end of story.

As a physician, you are looking at a 30+ year career making 200K+/year. While having 500K in student loans might seem like a big deal now, it really isn't a big deal in the long run. Going to school abroad should be the last option. Any financial benefit to going abroad is way overshadowed by the stigma attached when applying for residency. You will be limited in both specialty choice and program tier within specialty.

And just so you don't think I'm biased, I'm a US-IMG (caribbean grad) about to start residency.

Reactions: 1 user