Updated Interview List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wake checked in this evening. For a nice change, they actually have more than 5-6 interviews dates too.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a Baystate (MA) today.

mike

Members don't see this ad :)
Jaydoc - I was also (very) happy to hear from Wake today. I wish the OTHER North Carolina programs would also check in with me!

I also got one from Louisville - don't know if anyone had mentioned them yet or not.

Invites from Medical College of GA and UCLA Olive view....

Not sure if this one has been mentioned...

Virginia Commonwealth

We need to enlist Future EM to tally up the names again

Akron City
Akron General
Alameda County - Highland
Albany
Albert Einstein - Philly
Allegheny General Hospital
Arkansas
Arizona
Beaumont
Beth israel-deaconess
Christ Hospital - Advocate
Christiana Care
Ucinn
Cook County
Detroit Receiving
Drexel
Duke
Eastern Virginia
Emory
George Washington
Grand Rapids
Hennepin
Henry Ford
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
Kentucky
King-Drew (Compton (LA), CA)
Lincoln
Loma Linda
Long Island Jewish
LSU-Baton Rouge
LSU-New Orleans
Maine Medical Center
Maimonides
Mayo Clinic
MCW
Medical College of Georgia
Metrohealth
Michigan State - Kalamazoo
Morristown, NJ
Mount Sinai
Newark Beth Israel
North Shore
Northwestern
Ohio State
Orlando
Pitt
Regions Hospital (in MN)
Resurrection
Saginaw
Sinai-Grace (Detroit)
St. John (Detroit)
St. Vincent's
St.Luke's - Roosevelt
St.Luke's in PA
Stanford
SUMMA/Akron City
SUNY Stonybrook
SUNY Upstate - Syracuse, NY
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Thomas Jefferson
UAB (Alabama-Birmingham)
University of Arizona
UCI
UCLA - Oliveview
Uconn
U of Chicago
U of Florida
University of Maryland
Umass
University of Michigan
UMDNJ
UMKC
UNC
Upenn
U of Rochester
USC
UTSW
University of Virginia-Charlottesville
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
WashU
Wright State
Yale
York Hospital/Penn State

Add Madigan, Univ. Calif. - Davis and Oregon Health Sciences.

Got on the wait list at Indiana. I know there are obviously interview offers from Indiana out there, but are they giving out rejections as well?

Quinn,

Did they call/email you and tell you that you are on the wait list or did you call them?

They emailed me today. I emailed them back to be put on their wait list. They said they historically take one or more people from their waitlist. They got a great program so I didn't hesitate.

On the other hand, got a big old spank on the booty from Duke and Emory today.

I also got the same thing from Duke and Emory. Must be a good day for mass-murdering people's dreams out there in Durham and Atlanta.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
A big fat NO from Emory here, too. (Who wants to live in Atlanta, anyway?) Bah Humbug!

I got my Duke and Emory bitch-slaps within a few minutes of each other. Oh well, no hard feelings. I feel comfortable with where I stand now, and I hope all the posters and readers are in the same position as I.
+pissed+

Chalk up another victim of the Emory slap upside the head here!!

Well, at least they had the class to let us know instead of letting us flap in the wind!

Got the big stiff arm from Emory also.

mike smith

Got the big NO from Emory and Duke, but got an interview at Denver!!!!!!

Who in the hell is Emory interviewing, anyway????

Got double denied today by Duke and Indiana. (I have been previously denied by Oregon and Pitt)
I was a little surprised about Duke; the program is only one year old...and I have received offers from some pretty solid places (Univ of Cin, Case, UMass, Michigan, Wash, 13 total)
I guess there comes a point when programs just throw the applications in the air and see who lands on top.

Originally posted by shaft
Got double denied today by Duke and Indiana. (I have been previously denied by Oregon and Pitt)
I was a little surprised about Duke; the program is only one year old...and I have received offers from some pretty solid places (Univ of Cin, Case, UMass, Michigan, Wash, 13 total)
I guess there comes a point when programs just throw the applications in the air and see who lands on top.

I've gotten like 16-17 interviews so far, including CWRU, Orlando, Vanderbilt, U of MI, and both FL programs, which people have told me are pretty good places. I got the axe at Cinci, Emory, and Pitt. I have not heard anything from Indy, any Chicago programs, any Arizona programs, Denver, Hennepin, or Christiana.
Obviously, unless these programs are late reviewers, things aren't looking good... especially Indiana.

Back before the Dean's letter, I got kind of a rushing email from UMass where they basically insinuated they wanted to interview me right away but never got my board scores. I had my registrar and ERAS fix the problem and I have not heard from them since. WTF?

I wonder why Duke is so picky, I know it's a prestigious background, but they just started their EM program. (I didn't apply there.)

mike

I am really SHOCKED I got Denver, I kind of excepted to get Duke because I thought they wouldn't be that competitve (seeing as they just started). Has anyone applied to New York Columbia/Cornell (they are a new program this year) or Kings County (NY), Metropolitan (NY), Beth Israel (NY), NYU Bellvue--any news from these guys?

Good luck everyone!!!

Mel

That's great melb that you got Denver. I really don't know much about the program other than it is in pretty high demand. I do know a couple of people that were in surgery residencies there and they quit and went to EM. They said that the place was pretty up tight and for lack of a better word....malignant. As it stands with any place though, I always prefer to see for myself as opposed to taking someones skewed opinion. Hell, if they quit a residency program, why wouldn't they say bad things about the place right?

I too have not received the welcome letter from Indy...hmm. I have also been invitied to fairly competitive places CWRU, Portland oregon, Hennepin, UMass plus about 10 more. I don't understand what they are doing. I also didn't get invited to Henry Ford...what the heck???

MikeCWRU... I did an outside rotation at UMass this year. Let me tell you, they are a fantastic program. I know the secretary and res. director pretty well and I don't understand what they were doing with your stuff. They are very well organized and understanding of our situations. If you have questions, give Carol Bloom a call, arguably one of the nicest people ever!!!

Caveat: these of course, are my ramblings and humble opinions. Feel free to Email me or IM me (via AOL) if you want to chat...

Good luck everyone...

Originally posted by Path
MikeCWRU... I did an outside rotation at UMass this year. Let me tell you, they are a fantastic program. I know the secretary and res. director pretty well and I don't understand what they were doing with your stuff. They are very well organized and understanding of our situations. If you have questions, give Carol Bloom a call, arguably one of the nicest people ever!!!

Caveat: these of course, are my ramblings and humble opinions. Feel free to Email me or IM me (via AOL) if you want to chat...

Good luck everyone...

Yes, she was very nice when I talked to her on the phone. She gave me the impression (maybe it was just friendliness and not the actual situation) that they didn't want to make a bad impression with me and wanted to complete my app right away. I just don't understand all the rushing to hear nothing for the past couple of weeks. I have already received my other MA interview and would like a yea or nay so I can schedule them together.

On the flip side, hae you visited CWRU? It's an awesome program too. I just had my interview there this past week.

mike

Originally posted by mikecwru

On the flip side, hae you visited CWRU? It's an awesome program too. I just had my interview there this past week.

mike

No I haven't seen CWRU. My interview there is on Dec 3rd and I am really looking forward to it. It is nice to hear someone from there talk about the place in a positive way. Who else knows the place better, right?

mike

CWRU/MetroHealth... you interviewed there? How was it? I have an interview set up early December (after yours, Path)... would you mind putting up a post about it on the other thread here? It'd be nice to have a heads up...

So....... am I the only DO applicant here????????

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
CWRU/MetroHealth... you interviewed there? How was it? I have an interview set up early December (after yours, Path)... would you mind putting up a post about it on the other thread here? It'd be nice to have a heads up...

So....... am I the only DO applicant here????????

I interviewed there this week. It's my home program and my #1 choice. The new program director is a great guy and a really popular attending. The most consistent criticisms I hear about CWRU is that the residents work (too) hard (pretty much true) and that they're not happy (not true). The shifts are 12 hours and there's about 20 of them a month. The ED is extremely busy and is currently handling 20k over what the ED was built for, but they're building a 2x big ED scheduled to open 3/2004.

What makes the program good for me is that I like the people a lot, which should probably be the primary reason for everyone, taking a backseat to prestige. The pathology combination of the county hospital and the Cleveland Clinic is good. The EM program is politically powerful at metro. The attendings are great and laid back. LifeFlight is the 2nd busiest in the country and is largely resident run. Metro houses the med control for Cleveland EMS. Metro is adult/peds/high level burn center. The off service rotations are great, especially the traditional second year ICU months. I like the feeling of the hospital overall compared to others I've been in. There are lots of star docs who chose the county hospital over a university one because they're more into serving the poor. Ultrasound training is pretty good here. There are lots of other smaller, but significant pluses. I think you'll like the program. They don't wine you and dine you at the interview like other places, but ask yourself: why are the other places wining and dining you?

The biggest downsides to metro/ccf are:
* they work you hard
* EM is not as politically powerful at CCF
* just one month of elective time and that's new this year
* they pay for oncall meals but the cafeteria closes at 7 PM!!! (EM shifts are 7-7s!!). The cafeteria at CCF is much nicer.
* you will not get as many fringe benefits as other programs: no new palm, health club membership, etc. no big screen TVs in the lounges.... get used to smacking the side of the TV.
* the busy nature sometimes leads to moving the meat with some attendings, but I think they are in the minority and the minority of occasions.
* if you're from a huge city (NYC/LA) you're probably going to think lowly of Cleveland, but give it a chance. Have some of the residents or local med students take you out and show you the town. It's better than you think.

mike

Just want to throw my 2 cents in...

I called Indiana and they told me ALL of their interview slots are filled. So that means if you haven't gotten an interview, don't expect one.

Arizona said they will be sending out rejection letters today (11/15/02).

I've gotten a couple of my top choices thus far, but I'm still stewing because I haven't heard from Vandy, Northwestern, BI (Boston), and Mass Gen. What's the latest word on these places????

I've gotten about 18 interviews, but will probably only take 14-15. I'm going to be broke as a joke after this is over with.

Thanks for the info about CWRU! That was helpful.

Maricopa this morning! ww

Just be thankful your not an fmg trying to get interviews. Step 1-239, step 2-252, great lor's and only 6 interviews so far, wait listed at every other place that I've called, one rejection (emory). Oh well, maybe some of those waiting list offers will come in.

6 interviews (so far!) is nothing to sneeze at. I know people who only had 4 interviews that matched... and Emory, well, I think there's a pervaililng sentiment about Emory on this thread as it is...
:)

Is there anyone out there who has heard from Northwestern. I got invites to all the other Chicago programs plus Indy but am yet to hear from them. Have they started their invites yet??

Oh yeah...and has anybody heard from UCLA-Harbor??

thanks for the words quinn

Yes, Northwestern is giving out interviews- don't know about Harbor- ww

Surprisingly, I got an interview from the much maligned Emory, but I've been rejected by handfuls of mediocre programs. I've also been rejected by most of the competitive programs, like UCLA/Harbor, Indiana, Highland (Oakland), UCSD. And yet I've been invited by CWRU.

My application is a disgrace. I'm ranked near the very bottom of my class, my board scores are perfectly average (at least I never failed Step I or II), and I have done no EM research. I have 1 strong LOR from an unknown EM attending (he was FP-trained, in fact) at an unknown EM program. My other LORs are from surgery and peds.

In short, my credentials stink, but Emory invited me. 'Nuff said about their wayward criteria.

Now who can help me figure out why CWRU would invite a semi-loser like me?

My theory: EM is NOT ONE HALF AS COMPETITIVE as it's made out to be. What a friggin' joke! Sure, it's hard to land a spot in California or Arizona, and sure, Denver and Cincy are killer-competitive, but there are literally DOZENS of programs out there that don't give a damn about your class rank or board scores; they just want bodies!

Every time I hear someone say, "ER [sic] is pretty competitive," I laugh. Aloud. :laugh:

hornet OUT

So, 3 rejections so far:
UCLA- olive view,
brown
highland
all programs cited "large numbers of applicants" and said"good luck with everything". whatever

granted interviews (and this may help the NY people who don't post their interviews)
St lukes roosevelt
Kings county
LIJ
Northshore
Jacobi
Charity
Resurrection
Emory
GW

still waiting on like 10 programs, i guess i didn't make the cut. if anyone wants to know about the ny programs (incl maimo, methodist, lincoln, brooklyn- all of which i didn't apply to) just ask.
good luck
:cool:

CWRU = Case Western Reserve Univ.

I am still waiting on Northwestern. Have Carolinas (in Charlotte) sent out invites yet? I haven't heard anyone mention them.

As for EM being competitive, it really is. Thing is, it depends on which statistic you look at. Each year, EM fills about 97% of their entire nationwide slots in the match. That means that it fills up completely. However, I've also read that about 90% of EM applicants get their top 3 choices. Go figure.

Rejected from Arizona and Maricopa this AM.:( Oh well...
Accepted at Wake Forest...

I wonder when I should just count my losses...

eemer,

hey i am curious about the NY programs. i randomly applied to several programs on the eras --> click.click.click.click. ... and i know absolutely nothing about them.

can you tell me a little about beth isreal, mainmondes, mt saini, long island jewish, lincoln? (maybe even if you know a little about NJ programs like Morristown, or rochester too) is there a reason that you didn't apply to them? i want to be more selective in choosing interviews.

thanks for your help.

i've heard some talk questioning it's (LA king) financial stability, but i really don't know the whole story... anybody know anything about that? Cali people, perhaps?

thanks

Accreta

I still haven't heard from Carolinas. I read earlier that they said end of November, beginning of December for interview invites. I guess they can afford to be picky!

The word I've heard is that LA County is running a huge deficit. They were threatening to shut down Harbor Hospital (of UCLA Harbor fame). This happens every few years, the last time the Governor baled them out. He said he wasn't going to do it again. On the other hand, several people I've talked to that went through one of the many UCLA residencies says that they threaten to shut Harbor down every couple of years and that it probably won't happen because it would leave a big hole in the county. This is the first time I'd heard USC/King was threatening to close but it makes sense as they get their money from the same source as Harbor.

Not all programs give out rejections, right? Do you know what the chances are for the following programs if I haven't heard?

UCLA-oliveview (some got rejections from here?)
Boston Medical Center (have they given them out yet?)
Jacobi (do they give out rejections or just don't hear?)
NYU (did they give out interviews yet?)
U of C
Northwestern
UIC

Thanks!

Got the axe from both programs in Arizona, so with my plane ticket money, I went and bought myself a flat LCD 17" ViewSonic monitor so that I can view SDN in exceptional clarity.

Wait till you see what I buy when I get the axe from Denver... a Cleveland to Denver ticket is really expensive.

I haven't heard anything from Indiana either. Some people have been saying they got "rejected" from Indiana... did those people get a tangible rejection or just not hear anything like some of us?

Oh well, off to Wright St, then Vandy next week . . .

mike

Got the axe from both programs in Arizona, so with my plane ticket money, I went and bought myself a flat LCD 17" ViewSonic monitor so that I can view SDN in exceptional clarity.

Wait till you see what I buy when I get the axe from Denver... a Cleveland to Denver ticket is really expensive.

I haven't heard anything from Indiana either. Some people have been saying they got "rejected" from Indiana... did those people get a tangible rejection or just not hear anything like some of us?

Oh well, off to Wright St, then Vandy next week . . .

mike

Congrats on the monitor...im jealous.

I called Indiana on Friday to see what was going on. The lady there confirmed that there are no more interview spots left. I asked her about my app. and she said that "it was still under review and that I may still be put on the wait list". Hmmmm, let me think.....I have a slim chance of making onto a list that once you are on it, you have a slim chance of getting an interview. I guess I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Good luck at Vandy, and be sure to post how Wright State is, I'm going there in December.

Path...

I did get an email from Indiana, they put me on the waiting list (if I want). It says they historically match with one or more people from their waiting list every year............................ go figure.
not much news for me this week... one interview offer, 4 rejections, one waitlist...
q