Updated with MCAT: 3.85 GPA, 518 MCAT. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysquared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert, but my stats are pretty similar to yours and, from the advice that I got when I posted on this forum, I think your list looks good! Although the people who advised me on my list told me that schools like NYMC and Georgetown might not be great choices since your stats will be above their averages and they might not consider you. Other than that, good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
You could add schools such as Hofstra, Einstein, Vermont. Any of your ??? schools are OK to apply to but they are all very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add schools such as Hofstra, Einstein, Vermont. Any of your ??? schools are OK to apply to but they are all very competitive.
Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think NYMC, Georgetown (per the above poster's advice), Dartmouth, and Brown are worth applying to? I didn't go to Dartmouth or Brown and I heard that there's a bias for their own undergrads.

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think NYMC, Georgetown (per the above poster's advice), Dartmouth, and Brown are worth applying to? I didn't go to Dartmouth or Brown and I heard that there's a bias for their own undergrads.
They are worth applying to. The bias for there own undergrads is much more at Brown than Dartmouth.

Long time lurker, but this is my first time posting. I just had to post cause my stats are exactly the same as yours! Except the breakdown of my MCAT was a little different (130/129/130/129). I'm working on finalizing my school list too so seeing yours is helpful. Is this your final list?

Long time lurker, but this is my first time posting. I just had to post cause my stats are exactly the same as yours! Except the breakdown of my MCAT was a little different (130/129/130/129). I'm working on finalizing my school list too so seeing yours is helpful. Is this your final list?
Pretty much! I did take off two though (Mayo, Emory) and I'm not sure about some others (Pittsburgh, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt). I'm applying to around half of the rest right now and I'm adding the other half next week (just in case so that I don't get an influx of secondaries since most of these schools don't seem to screen).

Last edited:
If anyone else has the time, I'd really appreciate any other critiques of my school list:)

Self-bumping here (sorry if it's annoying!). Would really appreciate it if I could get another critique of my list:)

Youre a strong candidate for UMass but you probably could stand to add several more non top 20's that tend to target people in your stat range
For that best bet is probably go through MSAR and target OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around roughly 34(ie Ohio St Miami etc)
There isnt much point in applying to lower tier schools your MCAT is at or above the 90th, especially those that get >11k apps. You arent high yield app there.

Youre a strong candidate for UMass but you probably could stand to add several more non top 20's that tend to target people in your stat range
For that best bet is probably go through MSAR and target OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around roughly 34(ie Ohio St Miami etc)
There isnt much point in applying to lower tier schools your MCAT is at or above the 90th, especially those that get >11k apps. You arent high yield app there.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be adding Ohio and Miami to my list. I'm not so sure about other mid tier schools, though, because a lot seem to have very high COA and I don't think I'll be receiving any need-based aid. I know it's probably a very long shot for me since my stats arent great, but I was hoping for some merit-based aid, which I heard that schools like Pitt sometimes offer (again though, I realize my chances of getting in, much less merit aid, are tiny)

Looks good to me! I had similar stats and had a pretty similar list and it worked out well. You could probably cross off NYMC, Georgetown, Brown, and Dartmouth and still be fine. Maybe add Case Western, Albany or USC if you're looking for replacements? As far as merit aid goes, your best bets are UChicago, Penn, Vanderbilt, WashU, and maybe Duke. Most of the other top 20s only seem to give out a small handful of merit scholarships.

Looks good to me! I had similar stats and had a pretty similar list and it worked out well. You could probably cross off NYMC, Georgetown, Brown, and Dartmouth and still be fine. Maybe add Case Western, Albany or USC if you're looking for replacements? As far as merit aid goes, your best bets are UChicago, Penn, Vanderbilt, WashU, and maybe Duke. Most of the other top 20s only seem to give out a small handful of merit scholarships.
Thanks a ton for the advice and for letting me know about the schools with merit scholarships!! I really appreciate it.

Just an FYI - Pittsburgh wraps up interviewing early (they're done in December!) so if you apply there, sooner is better than later! Since they review apps so fast, time is of the essence of them.

Other than that, you have a solid application! Apply only to schools you would seriously consider going to!

Good luck :)

Just an FYI - Pittsburgh wraps up interviewing early (they're done in December!) so if you apply there, sooner is better than later! Since they review apps so fast, time is of the essence of them.

Other than that, you have a solid application! Apply only to schools you would seriously consider going to!

Good luck :)
Thanks:) Also thanks for letting me know about Pittsburgh! I've just added it to my list, but my primary won't be verified for a few days (I had to submit it kind of late because I took the MCAT so late), so hopefully I still have enough time!

Thanks:) Also thanks for letting me know about Pittsburgh! I've just added it to my list, but my primary won't be verified for a few days (I had to submit it kind of late because I took the MCAT so late), so hopefully I still have enough time!
If your primary is verified by August 1 and you send them your secondary ASAP, I see no reason you should worry! I just wouldn't recommend adding them in September, as that would be very late for them relative to other schools, if that makes sense. Good luck!