Updating Medical Schools--Will this hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamphilip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently finished applying to medical schools and am now waiting for (hopefully) Interview invites from my schools. I have a quick question. Many of the school prompts asked what your future plans were in the upcoming year. At the time I was applying, I was waiting for a decision on my enrollment to a biology masters program I applied for and I informed the med schools about this pending decision. Now, I was notified that I accepted to the masters program, however, due to unexpected financial issues, I have decided not to attend. I updated the medical schools on this. I was wondering if this would hurt my application--I was looking on the forums and they said med schools look down upon people who don't finish their graduate plans but that was more for people who dropped out of their program. I have pretty low to decent stats for medical school and wouldnt want this decision to create more "flags" on my application. Thanks again guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I updated the schools on my decision to not attend due to financial issues. I did not want them to think I was doing a program and leading them on. Thank you for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I only applied this cycle. In many secondary prompts from med schools, I notified them on the pending decision to the masters program. Now, I sent an update letter explaining that although accepted into the masters program, I cannot attend it due to financial reasons.

No I only applied this cycle. In many secondary prompts from med schools, I notified them on the pending decision to the masters program. Now, I sent an update letter explaining that although accepted into the masters program, I cannot attend it due to financial reasons.
I see.
You didn't need to update them.
It will not harm you either way.
Not starting is different from abandonment of a degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I see.
You didn't need to update them.
It will not harm you either way.
Not starting is different from abandonment of a degree.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply. Really put my neuroticism to rest.

Reactions: 1 user
Its all good. Once again thank you for being such a good help.