Updating Schools about Recent Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laurauva2009

NCSU CVM c/o 2014!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched around on the forum to see if anyone else had asked about this, but I was wondering if I should update my in state school about my recent veterinary experience.

Since applying I have gained almost 700 more hours of small animal veterinary experience. I know I could get this across at an interview, but my IS school does not interview :( According to their stats from last year I have an above average GPA and GRE but the average hours of experience was kind of ridiculously high (think >3000 :eek:) so I feel like updating them on these hours may get me closer to that number.

If I do update them how should I do it? Just in an email, or a letter? I know they just started reveiwing in state applications so this would be the perfect time to update them if I was going to do so.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I searched around on the forum to see if anyone else had asked about this, but I was wondering if I should update my in state school about my recent veterinary experience.

Since applying I have gained almost 700 more hours of small animal veterinary experience. I know I could get this across at an interview, but my IS school does not interview :( According to their stats from last year I have an above average GPA and GRE but the average hours of experience was kind of ridiculously high (think >3000 :eek:) so I feel like updating them on these hours may get me closer to that number.

If I do update them how should I do it? Just in an email, or a letter? I know they just started reveiwing in state applications so this would be the perfect time to update them if I was going to do so.

I would just send them an email. That's what I did when I registered for a new class, just to let them know I was taking it. I didn't include new hours, but to be honest, I had about 6,000 hours already, so it wasn't really necessary.

It definitely won't hurt! Most schools ask that you keep them updated re: changes to your application

You should absolutely update your application. I've already done it twice since October when VMCAS was due. Previously I emailed and some schools responded. Today I called my IS school to tell someone about an update, and ask other questions. The person I spoke with was really nice, we chatted for a few minutes and then he told me to send him an email with all info I wanted in my app.
It never hurts to do a little self promotion! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It never hurts to do a little self promotion!

definitely! if it comes down to choosing between you and a few other people with similar qualifications, i'm sure it would help if you happen to be the applicant that people in admissions remembers! You'd be surprised at how much of an impression you can leave after just a few encounters.

i sent an email to a vet school earlier in the summer with a couple of questions, and when i went to go on a tour there in the fall, they remembered exactly who i was!

Bumping this because I had a similar question. I've applied for and accepted jobs for the spring semester since I am graduating that are animal and research experience related, as well as a possible veterinary shadowing experience that I'm double checking on. Should I go ahead and e-mail my schools with this update now or wait until January when I start?

Bumping this because I had a similar question. I've applied for and accepted jobs for the spring semester since I am graduating that are animal and research experience related, as well as a possible veterinary shadowing experience that I'm double checking on. Should I go ahead and e-mail my schools with this update now or wait until January when I start?
I would update them ASAP. The longer you wait the more you risk them being already done looking at your file for their interview/no interview decision. And congrats on graduating and the new job!

A friend of mine called all the schools she applied to (I think there were 7 total) but she was told by the schools that other than contact information, they would not change application information as a matter of fairness. She hoped they would include additional experience that was not already in her VMCAS application, she recently acquired a position as an overnight technician at a very well known specialty hospital and hoped they could consider it. However, she was disappointed that they all were unwilling to add the additional information into her application. I'm sure it's worth a shot. Maybe you'll have a different experience.:)

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine called all the schools she applied to (I think there were 7 total) but she was told by the schools that other than contact information, they would not change application information as a matter of fairness. She hoped they would include additional experience that was not already in her VMCAS application, she recently acquired a position as an overnight technician at a very well known specialty hospital and hoped they could consider it. However, she was disappointed that they all were unwilling to add the additional information into her application. I'm sure it's worth a shot. Maybe you'll have a different experience.:)

In my past experience, it was very school dependent. Some added experience and some didn't.

For @Gwenevre : However, I'm not sure telling them you'll be starting a new job in January will carry the same weight as a new experience you are currently getting hours in. When I emailed schools to update my applications, I didn't mentioned any of the vet experience I was trying to obtain, but hadn't started yet. I ended up bringing it up in interviews later on though.

I think there are also a few more recent threads on this topic, or maybe it was just mentioned in other threads as well, but you might be able to find a little more information elsewhere.

In all actuality, I don't think emailing will necessarily hurt you either way. They'll either take it into consideration or they won't.

I'm just going to send an e-mail. Worst they can say is no right?

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically, there are very few things that you've done since September or October that have the power to tip the scales in your favor for this application cycle.

If a school doesn't explicitly state that it accepts updates to application materials, I would respect the deadline and be very selective with what and how often I communicate with admissions staff.

Realistically, there are very few things that you've done since September or October that have the power to tip the scales in your favor for this application cycle.

If a school doesn't explicitly state that it accepts updates to application materials, I would respect the deadline and be very selective with what and how often I communicate with admissions staff.
It doesn't hurt to call and let them know. Or email and let them know. And it very well might be experience that makes them feel more favorably about you. Most schools accept updates...

You have to remember just because the deadline is September/October does not mean that people don't submit the application earlier. So an applicant can submit anywhere from June-early October. Even with a last minute submission we are now 3 months out, that is 90 days for experience to be gained. So an applicant that has zero equine experience and finally found some could easily have obtained up to 100 hours or more in this time frame. Again, it is going to depend on each school, but most schools will accept updates. I sent my schools an update during my third application cycle and they seemed quite happy to accept that new information.

I applied to Illinois, Wisconsin, Virginia-Maryland, Tufts and Missouri. Of those 5 schools, only Tufts and Wisconsin will add any additional information after the VMCAS deadline (and Wisconsin accepts that info in their supplemental, which is due in mid-December). I think it's good to continue getting experience and show the schools that you're staying busy even after submitting applications. Doesn't hurt to send a nice email with an addendum attached!

Purdue and Illinois didn't accept additional changes, haven't heard from Ohio yet.

I applied to Illinois, Wisconsin, Virginia-Maryland, Tufts and Missouri. Of those 5 schools, only Tufts and Wisconsin will add any additional information after the VMCAS deadline (and Wisconsin accepts that info in their supplemental, which is due in mid-December). I think it's good to continue getting experience and show the schools that you're staying busy even after submitting applications. Doesn't hurt to send a nice email with an addendum attached!
Just a note on Missouri, they do specifically ask in interviews if you've gained any additional experience since applying. At least they did during IS interviews last year, not sure if they do the same for OOS. I think that's a good system, other than it doesn't allow them to take that information into account when making interview decisions. (However, Mizzou interviews all IS applicants that meet the application requirements, unlike OOS.) It gives everyone the opportunity to update the adcom rather than relying on the applicant to take the initiative to contact the school -- the fairness issue mentioned upthread.

Just a note on Missouri, they do specifically ask in interviews if you've gained any additional experience since applying. At least they did during IS interviews last year, not sure if they do the same for OOS. I think that's a good system, other than it doesn't allow them to take that information into account when making interview decisions. (However, Mizzou interviews all IS applicants that meet the application requirements, unlike OOS.) It gives everyone the opportunity to update the adcom rather than relying on the applicant to take the initiative to contact the school -- the fairness issue mentioned upthread.

Yep, they did during my OOS interview as well. I did have things to add, and I think it was a great talking point!

Yep, they did during my OOS interview as well. I did have things to add, and I think it was a great talking point!
That's great to hear! I actually started shadowing an equine vet in November since I knew that was a weakness of my application (I had both small animal and food production animal experience, but zero equine hours). I'm glad the interviewers will hear about it!

Reactions: 1 user