Updating top schools with new job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godawg300

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious if it's worth updating schools that I have interviewed at but don't release decisions until March. My only major update is a new job position at a biotech company (executive position). I can also update them on some grades but that won't change my GPA much. Or is it better to just sit tight and save updates for post decision? So far I have 8 acceptances and I didn't send any updates but those schools release decisions on a rolling basis.

Are there any form of updates that can really make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't hurt can it? At the very least it shows your continued interest

Can't hurt can it? At the very least it shows your continued interest

That's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if it's better to send update now or wait to use it later in case I get waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would a job that you presumably would be quitting in a matter of weeks to months be impressive?

Good point. I got the job last year and have done some serious work with the company since (it's a startup). It's healthcare related and might be a good way to update a school, but maybe you are right and it wouldn't make any difference?

I think I would find it very strange that someone planning to attend med school in a few months would accept an executive position. I would worry they are planning on leaving a company in the lurch and don't have any problem bailing on responsibility when the next better offer comes along.

Well I was hired to complete some projects within a 6-8 month period which I plan to fulfill. I def am committed to my responsibility and don't plan on bailing on anything...but I see your point how it could come off as strange. I appreciate your input.

Given what you just posted i don't think it's strange, i rather think it sounds interesting. Not your typical update. The only way i could see it looking sketchy would be if you didn't possess the qualifications for an executive position. MBA plus x years of experience...maybe even a PhD depending on what you're doing. These things are what come to mind, anything short of i'd be asking what kind of biotech company this was. Otherwise (sans that glaring red flag) i would think you're just showing schools another quality or skill you'd be bring with you.

Edit: if you do end up informing them i'd throw in a firm start and end date that was agreed upon with the company to let them know you're not being shady or skipping out

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you really think the Admissions dean is going to scream out to his/her secretary: "We HAVE to accept this kid! He just started a new job!!!" ????

The only updates that I think would be helpful would be a publication, or proof of a semester full of A's, or a stunning MCAT score.

I'm just curious if it's worth updating schools that I have interviewed at but don't release decisions until March. My only major update is a new job position at a biotech company (executive position). I can also update them on some grades but that won't change my GPA much. Or is it better to just sit tight and save updates for post decision? So far I have 8 acceptances and I didn't send any updates but those schools release decisions on a rolling basis.

Are there any form of updates that can really make a difference?

Congrats on the promotion(!), but as others have stated I would be cautious with how you word your update.

Obviously, things will differ company to company based upon the nature of the product/service offered, the maturity of the research, amount of funding, number of employees, etc. I've been working with a biotech start-up and have been on its research team since it was founded. During interviews I was usually asked if I would still continue to work with the start-up (no), if the company knew I would be leaving (yes; I had an LOR from the CEO), and what I was doing to ensure my departure would go smoothly.

In fact, since the new year a majority of my time has been spent on ensuring this transition goes smoothly, even though I'll be leaving ~5 months from now. When I start med school I am not going to be able to flit back to the lab and walk my coworkers through my old experiments. When writing an update, let them know how you plan on wrapping things up nice and tidy with a bow on top so you won't find your attention drawn back to your old job once med school starts. N=1, but like @Overanxious recommended, in my updates I reiterated my end date, the new responsibilities/projects I had assumed, and my plan for wrapping up such projects/training my replacements without leaving a knowledge gap in the company following my departure. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Do you really think the Admissions dean is going to scream out to his/her secretary: "We HAVE to accept this kid! He just started a new job!!!" ????

The only updates that I think would be helpful would be a publication, or proof of a semester full of A's, or a stunning MCAT score.

I kind of disagree with you here. Atleast in my experience quite a few schools seemed to place value in applicants showing continued interest in the school. The applicants who sent update letters and LOIs were almost always the ones who got in off the waitlist.

Obviously it's not as important since OP isn't waitlisted, but I still think that continued interest could help his cause.

I kind of disagree with you here. Atleast in my experience quite a few schools seemed to place value in applicants showing continued interest in the school. The applicants who sent update letters and LOIs were almost always the ones who got in off the waitlist.

Obviously it's not as important since OP isn't waitlisted, but I still think that continued interest could help his cause.
The opposite also occurs. I know of no admissions officer that believes LOI's.

Reactions: 1 user