Upenn 2014 IVs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadicalGhost

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since Upenn has started giving IVs calls (Please dont ask me who and when they got it, and also its true news that people have started getting the calls), I feel I should share my last year experience to make it easy for the interviewing people.
Its a one day IV with no bench exam.
You would get a beautiful letter of IV call in your email followed by its details in your mail. You will be given lunch and date option to choose from --starting from the first week of Sept you can schedule only on Tuesday. Every batch has 6-7 candidates, so make sure you respond to it before your fav Tuesday will be booked out.
On the day of IV -- The morning starts with some presentations about the school (very boring!!!) followed by a random question on which you have to write for 10 mins. Qs can range from 'who is your fav national leader to what is your fav food' very basic!!. Then 3 IVs by 3 separate people.
1st one with the director for 15 mins. She doesn't ask anything, just will try to strike a normal conversation with you(You wont even notice and it will get over). Later, 2 IVs with 2 faculties, each 30 mins . Followed by Lunch and school tour (again very boring !!). When I went for my IV, I almost got a vibe that I am already selected. So I didnt sell myself hard (LOL!!.) The last 2 IVs will be about your resume, what work you did and from where you are, what you think of UPenn, long term goals (Nothing that you wont know, or is new to it). Just go relax, It would be the most chilling IV you will ever have.
If you are IVed in Sept and if you are selected, you get the luck personal phone call from the director - Corcky Cacus in first week of October. Since its acceptance is on rolling basis, its in your favor that you in the IV in the earlier batches.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Please dont get panicked if you havent received an IV call yet, its just a start .Penn sends only 10-15 IVs in one go and they have started just now. So be hopeful till November. I think they send some 70 invites for 30-35 seats. So there are many more to go!!! All the Best!!

Reactions: 1 user
RadicalGhost: If I applied in May and havent heard anything so far, and someone who applied in June gets an interview call. Does it mean that my application has been reviewed and my chances are done??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i am a reapplicant and i had changed my CV and added my part 2, new toefl n even the LORs, but since they keep last year application m worried if they will add and replace my new LOR and CV . I did send an email to replace them with the new ones but did not get a reply. Will they replace them plz can anybody have any idea about it.

Dont
i am a reapplicant and i had changed my CV and added my part 2, new toefl n even the LORs, but since they keep last year application m worried if they will add and replace my new LOR and CV . I did send an email to replace them with the new ones but did not get a reply. Will they replace them plz can anybody have any idea about it.

Don't they consider LORs from caapid? As I am a re applicant too and haven't told them about change in my LORs but I did add an LOR from a US dentist in caapid.. I hope they consider the ones from caapid.

m also worried bcoz when I applied they emailed that we have your so and so documents from previous years... so I sent an email of the change but no reply and moreover they sent one more email of completion that they have my so and so documents but they only mentioned about my nbde part 1 document but not the part 2 so m worried

LAst year, I sent them everything again as a complete application packet, even if they were having my previous stuff. Also, I submitted my re-applicant statement that stated what was new in my resume with revised copy of my resume, LORs and Sop.
@ftd: Nothing can be said until and unless you receive a mail/email stating that you have been given an invite, acceptance,wait list or rejection. So stay hopeful and positive.

LAst year, I sent them everything again as a complete application packet, even if they were having my previous stuff. Also, I submitted my re-applicant statement that stated what was new in my resume with revised copy of my resume, LORs and Sop.
@ftd: Nothing can be said until and unless you receive a mail/email stating that you have been given an invite, acceptance,wait list or rejection. So stay hopeful and positive.
i also sent as a complete package but during the completion email they mentioned only the nbde part 1 results not the part 2, so m worried, do u think they have included the part 2 also but did not mention it?

i also sent as a complete package but during the completion email they mentioned only the nbde part 1 results not the part 2, so m worried, do u think they have included the part 2 also but did not mention it?
When I spoke to them, they said they don't consider part 2 so we don't have to send part 2 scores. I jus mentioned in the re applicant statement about passing part 2.

When I spoke to them, they said they don't consider part 2 so we don't have to send part 2 scores. I jus mentioned in the re applicant statement about passing part 2.
thanks.... hope that they have the new documents I submitted.

thanks.... hope that they have the new documents I submitted.
Hey, so I spoke to them today and they said everything will be included in our application(documents and letters from previous cycle and this caapid cycle). Hope this helps :)

Hey, so I spoke to them today and they said everything will be included in our application(documents and letters from previous cycle and this caapid cycle). Hope this helps :)
thanks.....

Since Upenn has started giving IVs calls (Please dont ask me who and when they got it, and also its true news that people have started getting the calls), I feel I should share my last year experience to make it easy for the interviewing people.
Its a one day IV with no bench exam.
You would get a beautiful letter of IV call in your email followed by its details in your mail. You will be given lunch and date option to choose from --starting from the first week of Sept you can schedule only on Tuesday. Every batch has 6-7 candidates, so make sure you respond to it before your fav Tuesday will be booked out.
On the day of IV -- The morning starts with some presentations about the school (very boring!!!) followed by a random question on which you have to write for 10 mins. Qs can range from 'who is your fav national leader to what is your fav food' very basic!!. Then 3 IVs by 3 separate people.
1st one with the director for 15 mins. She doesn't ask anything, just will try to strike a normal conversation with you(You wont even notice and it will get over). Later, 2 IVs with 2 faculties, each 30 mins . Followed by Lunch and school tour (again very boring !!). When I went for my IV, I almost got a vibe that I am already selected. So I didnt sell myself hard (LOL!!.) The last 2 IVs will be about your resume, what work you did and from where you are, what you think of UPenn, long term goals (Nothing that you wont know, or is new to it). Just go relax, It would be the most chilling IV you will ever have.
If you are IVed in Sept and if you are selected, you get the luck personal phone call from the director - Corcky Cacus in first week of October. Since its acceptance is on rolling basis, its in your favor that you in the IV in the earlier batches.
Radical ghost from reading the previous posts I saw that you received interview invitation from many schools last year.. Can you please throw some light on what were your stats ? It would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any new invites ?? Since they already sent out for september, do they usually wait to send the rest of the invites, or do they keep sending until full ???

They keep sending until full.

i heard they take the entire first two-three batches in one go? is it true?

Its somewhat true. When I went for my IV last year , one of my senior said that in 2012, they gave acceptance to the complete batch who was there for the IV with her. I was among the first batch who were called for the IV for Penn and when I went for the IV, I already got this vibe that I was selected. The sooner you are called , the more is the probability.

Its somewhat true. When I went for my IV last year , one of my senior said that in 2012, they gave acceptance to the complete batch who was there for the IV with her. I was among the first batch who were called for the IV for Penn and when I went for the IV, I already got this vibe that I was selected. The sooner you are called , the more is the probability.
Can u please share when were u interviewed at Upenn last year? I mean.... which date? Thanks

Due to the overlap of my other dental school IVs, by no choice I had to choose the third batch to IVs at Penn and it was in third week of Sept. But it really made no difference.

Hi RadicalGhost should we wait till we receive the mail or we can call immediately after we received the iv invitation in email to schedule the day? I got an email last Friday.

Hi RadicalGhost should we wait till we receive the mail or we can call immediately after we received the iv invitation in email to schedule the day? I got an email last Friday.
Congrats !!! Can u tell us when ur completion email was?

Due to the overlap of my other dental school IVs, by no choice I had to choose the third batch to IVs at Penn and it was in third week of Sept. But it really made no difference.
Thanks for sharing....

Can u plz share your date of application completion and stats?

Completion email was on June 24th

NBDE1 and 2 pass, 2 years of dental assisting

Congrats cibel..when is your interview? September or October?

I called yesterday and she said all September is already booked and the earliest was October 14th for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I called yesterday and she said all September is already booked and the earliest was October 14th for me.
Okay... Thanx for sharing.... All the best....

Sorry for the late reply. But you need to call them as soon as you get an iv call. The mail is just a formality as a written record. Also get the soonest date possible.

Any news about more Penn interviews so far ? Do they interview in Nov also or is Oct the last month ?

Can anyone explain in detail more about about "writing sample exercise" at UPenn?
Thanks.

Can anyone explain in detail more about about "writing sample exercise" at UPenn?
Thanks.

Hi ifg,

Did you get invite for the interview at UPenn?

If yes, could you please let us know:
1) Your stats / experience
2) Application completion email date
3) Interview invitation email date
4) Interview date (or at least week/month)

Thanks ahead

I haven't got anything but preparing myself ahead of time.

did anyone recieve rejection mail from upenn?

I haven't heard any thing after completion mail...
Feeling Very low as I haven't heard from any where...

anyone willing to share accomodation for upenn for september 23....please private message me

yes..someone i know got a rejection from upenn!

I haven't heard anything from them either .. Should that mean rejection ????