UPenn c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So this thing about them interviewing la kids later... Has anyone actually confirmed this? Penn is my absolute dream school but I still have heard zip from them so I'm wondering if I should quit dreaming...

I am going on the LA day, but they said in their email that if you are invited to interview that day, but are not actually a LA interest to let them know because they have other large animal applicants to interview but not everyone can fit on that one day. So even if you aren't going on the 14th, don't give up hope because you're still in the running! Good luck and hope you hear from them soon!

Members don't see this ad.

To those still waiting, they said yesterday that there are still 5 more interview days, so stay hopeful.

Reactions: 5 users
I finally have enough money in my bank account to buy a ticket to Philly... come on interview invite!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was literally only 10 minutes long and I somehow I still got in guys!!! I didn't know interviews can be so short! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I missed my phone call because I was at work! I guess I'll just have to call in the morning. So exciting!!!

So how's everybody holding up? Anyone have any count on how many interview days are left at penn for invites ?

All of my emails have gotten jumbled together. Was there an email sent out about PennVet institutional financial aid? I know Tufts has a separate application aside from just fasfa. Does Penn have this? When is fasfa deadline?

So how's everybody holding up? Anyone have any count on how many interview days are left at penn for invites ?
No idea. I e-mailed them a week ago to ask if there were interview dates left. Literally all I got was "yes". Not even a full sentence. :grumpy:

All of my emails have gotten jumbled together. Was there an email sent out about PennVet institutional financial aid? I know Tufts has a separate application aside from just fasfa. Does Penn have this? When is fasfa deadline?

Pen does have a separate form but I don't think it is available yet. They'll mention it at some point if they haven't already. It's usually due by like June 1st or something like that. Can't remember if the FAFSA has a deadline but I submitted late my first year because I was going elsewhere at the time and still got all my funding.

No idea. I e-mailed them a week ago to ask if there were interview dates left. Literally all I got was "yes". Not even a full sentence. :grumpy:

I know one of my classmates called and they told him there were five more dates set and they're working on 2/28 interview date (they're still reading applications)

I believe it is February 15th for first year professional school students (us), and then March 1st if your not a first year (so every other year after this for us)!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it is February 15th for first year professional school students (us), and then March 1st if your not a first year (so every other year after this for us)!

O_O; I received no such email... Did they send that information to every applicant?

still nothing from penn.....waitlisted to my IS..........feeling doomed

still nothing from penn.....waitlisted to my IS..........feeling doomed
Same. I hate this waiting nonsense. If you don't want me, just say so already jeez.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it's tough but we can not give up hope. Just have to stay strong. :D

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interviewing for Penn on Valentine's and am super scared about it. I'm comforting myself with the idea that if I get rejected I don't have to take the Statistics class I have planned for Spring quarter, which means I can fill that spot with a Musical Theater class :))

I'm interviewing for Penn on Valentine's and am super scared about it. I'm comforting myself with the idea that if I get rejected I don't have to take the Statistics class I have planned for Spring quarter, which means I can fill that spot with a Musical Theater class :))
Theater classes are the best! I've taken two during my undergraduate career... wonderful breaks from dense science classes =)

Does anyone know if Penn is continuing to hold interviews into March? My understanding was that they were only holding interviews through the end of February, and then letting those that were rejected/not offered interviews in March. Is this correct?

Does anyone know if Penn is continuing to hold interviews into March? My understanding was that they were only holding interviews through the end of February, and then letting those that were rejected/not offered interviews in March. Is this correct?
From an email conversation I had with one of the admissions counselors:

"George,

We typically start interviewing in the beginning of January and run interviews every Friday through Feb and sometimes into March. If selected for an interview, you can hear anytime during that time period."

I also wanted to say to everyone that I have been living in Philadelphia for the past year and a half and know a fair amount about the city. If you have ANY questions about rough living costs, transportation options, food, culture, whatever, please ask away and I'll be happy to answer. I think it's important to be informed about the area just as much as the school if you're going to spend a hefty chunk of time there.

From an email conversation I had with one of the admissions counselors:

"George,

We typically start interviewing in the beginning of January and run interviews every Friday through Feb and sometimes into March. If selected for an interview, you can hear anytime during that time period."

Thank you, that's similar to what I heard as well. I'm in a bit of a tough spot, as I'm enrolled in Calculus this semester that ONLY Penn requires... And if I am not offered an interview at Penn, there's no need to take/pay for the class. Today, of course, is the last day to drop Calculus at my school and only pay 50% of the tuition cost. So, it's a gamble for me of dropping the class and saving the money, with the expectation of not being offered an interview, or staying in the class and potentially wasting my time and money.

What's a girl to do? <Sigh> Thanks for your response.

Thank you, that's similar to what I heard as well. I'm in a bit of a tough spot, as I'm enrolled in Calculus this semester that ONLY Penn requires... And if I am not offered an interview at Penn, there's no need to take/pay for the class. Today, of course, is the last day to drop Calculus at my school and only pay 50% of the tuition cost. So, it's a gamble for me of dropping the class and saving the money, with the expectation of not being offered an interview, or staying in the class and potentially wasting my time and money.

I'm in the same exact position as you....except my drop period passed. So I'm in calc...I would HATE to get offered a spot and not be able to go just bc I didn't want to take calc and dropped it. I'd rather suffer through calc and know I'm prepared either way!

Sucks though, about the costs, I'm full time anyways so it didn't matter...I'm at 18 units so even if I dropped id still be over 12.

I'm not feeling too hopeful about Penn though....

If you think that you might apply next cycle, I say stick with it. If you're in somewhere else and aren't dependent on Penn in any way, it's a safer call, but I'm not sure where you're at with everything. If Penn is absolutely your top choice, you'll have to weigh how much you'll be upset with yourself for a) sticking with it with no interview or b) not sticking with it, getting a late interview and not being able to go.

I personally enjoyed Calculus I (and II!) a whole lot but I'm a super-nerd.

Any LA people freaking out about the weather for Wed-Fri? I'm really worried about making it to my interview!

Any LA people freaking out about the weather for Wed-Fri? I'm really worried about making it to my interview!

I would get here sooner if at all possible. It's my understanding it's gonna snow Wed night into Thursday - so Thursday will be the particularly bad part. I would also call the school and talk to them about it, see what they think.

I took Calculus for UPenn, but an adcom at another school mentioned how my doing well in it strengthened my app for them as well. Definitely stick with it. And do well ;-)

Yes! I left my interview suit at the dry cleaners so I have to drive there on Thurs and down to Penn for Fri. Praying we don't get a foot of snow on Thurs.

I work at New Bolton Center and I would Thursday through Saturday so we will see how the weather is then.

Just out of curiosity, about how many people interview each week?

Is anyone else bummed out that we won't be getting to see the New Bolton Center on Friday? :(

Are there any IS applicants for large animal who haven't heard anything back yet from UPenn? Is there only 1 interview date for visiting the new bolton center?

Are there any IS applicants for large animal who haven't heard anything back yet from UPenn? Is there only 1 interview date for visiting the new bolton center?

I'm IS equine. I interviewed 1/31 and I and one other person were the only strictly LA people they interviewed then, because we've both worked at NBC. They did say that they have more LA people than they could fit for the New Bolton day (but yes, there is only one day), so there's still a chance they could be trying to fit you in on another day. Also my day had several people interested in mixed practice, so if you said anything about SA or mixed in your app, they probably would not put you on the New Bolton day.

interviewed 2/7 got my acceptance call yesterday!!

For people who've been to or worked at the NBC - what do you think we are missing as applicants by only hearing about it and not actually walking around it since they've cancelled that tour? Just curious. I'm not sure about my feelings about Penn and I thought maybe seeing the NBC might sway my opinion a lot.

For people who've been to or worked at the NBC - what do you think we are missing as applicants by only hearing about it and not actually walking around it since they've cancelled that tour? Just curious. I'm not sure about my feelings about Penn and I thought maybe seeing the NBC might sway my opinion a lot.

They just updated the website this summer, so definitely check that out http://www.vet.upenn.edu/veterinary-hospitals/NBC-hospital

Honestly, I don't think you're missing too much by not being able to walk around. Yes, it's really cool to see some of it, but the students and faculty involved in the interview process will be able to give you a lot of information and really, its reputation speaks for itself. The equine caseload is around 6000 per year, and that's just the hospital- doesn't include field service. The local horse community is incredible- there are a number of hunts in the area, a large h/j circuit, a great eventing community (with riders like Boyd Martin and Phillip Dutton in the area!), and plenty of people who keep horses for pleasure. We're also relatively close to a number of tracks, and a significant portion of our patients are racehorses. I personally know of owners who have shipped horses in from Canada, Florida, etc because of the clinicians and resources we have here.

Other things that are unique about NBC:
  • We have a recovery pool for our orthopedic surgery suite. It doesn't get used much, but it's a unique capability.
  • Moran- designated building for colic & isolation, and top of the line.
  • Havemeyer Equine Behavior Lab ( http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Default.aspx?alias=research.vet.upenn.edu/havemeyerequinebehavior) We have a herd of feral ponies used for behavioral research. They also take several each year and use them for a surgery block, and then adopt them out.
  • Hoffman- Our reproduction center. They do a lot of cool things here and even keep a recipient herd for embryo transfers.
  • The farrier shop- Pat Reilly is our resident farrier. He sees outside horses and also works on inpatients, works with clinicians on cases (laminitis, canker, corrective shoeing, etc), and is generally awesome at what he does. Students get to go on a rotation with him, which is a great opportunity.
We also have a designated building for NICU & ICU, high speed treadmill, a brand new indoor (mostly used for lameness exams) with fancy hi-tech footing. We have 4 surgery suites: general, special, standing, & orthopedic.

Basically if you want to go equine, this is the place to be. If you're interested in other large animals, I can't tell you as much. We do have a barn in the main hospital that is designated for food animals. Our hospital caseload is definitely lower, but we do have the Marshak dairy and the swine unit. The dairy industry is fairly large in the area, so our food animal field service is pretty active.

I hope this novel has been helpful for some people! If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them :)

Anyone else having problems getting a flight in this awful weather?

Hi,

I have come out from California to interview at Penn for tomorrow's NBC day, and missed a call from Rose Herpen in the admissions office regarding an email about changes to the day. I didn't get the email for some reason and now can't get in contact with admissions because no one is there today. I am hoping that someone who is also interviewing tomorrow could reply with the time that we are supposed to be there, and a description of the changes. Thanks so much for the help and good luck to all those still waiting to hear!

This is the email:

10:30 AM arrival; Hill Pavilion Lobby, 38th and Baltimore Ave.
11:00 Overview of Penn Vet Program
11:30 Tours of PENN Vet
1:00 Interviews begin every half hour until completed

Lunch will be available through mid-day

I got a call from Ms. Herpen just asking if I was going to be making it.

This is the email:

10:30 AM arrival; Hill Pavilion Lobby, 38th and Baltimore Ave.
11:00 Overview of Penn Vet Program
11:30 Tours of PENN Vet
1:00 Interviews begin every half hour until completed

Lunch will be available through mid-day

I got a call from Ms. Herpen just asking if I was going to be making it.

Thanks so much for the information!

Has anyone gotten an interview invite lately? I'm hoping that I haven't heard anything yet because my application shows promise :)

Good luck to those of you interviewing tomorrow! Stay warm (and dry)!!!!!!

I havent heard anything either but I am staying optimistic. We will have to wait and see :)