UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This week maybe? It's getting close to the middle of February. I'm starting to consider myself already rejected :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel the same way but Penn is one of the tougher schools to crack. It's hard to understand what they feel is the ideal penn student because if someone is good all the way around, it is way very difficult for that person to get in because they prefer students that excel at something really well more often times than not. All the students I know that go or have gone to penn have had amazing experiences that really shine and make them stand out. Not to mention Penn, Cornell, and Davis (what I consider the higher tier schools) tend to have twice as many applicant as other schools such as Purdue, Illinois, etc with their average applicant pool consisting of 1400 students versus a much lower number of 700 students. It's hard to swallow but maybe Penn isn't the right school for whatever reason. I was hung up on Penn for the longest time believe me (I saw myself there more than any other school) but you never know what might happen, another school may open their door for you as one did for me and if you truly wish to be a veterinarian, do not let anything stop you from achieving your goals, and if you have to reapply it's not the end of the world. I did, just make sure to really go out there and get some grand experiences before the next application cycle. Well, that's my two cents anyway :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice! Penn was a real stretch for me but I have had the bulk of my veterinary experience at Penn and both of my eLORs came from veterinarians at Penn and the Philadelphia Zoo. I've been wanting to go here since I was a kid and even if I got an interview I think I would pass out. That being said, they are so heavy on your GPA that it's holding me back immensely. I am hoping and praying for even a chance to interview because I really feel like I could sell myself at an interview.

By the way, congratulations to those who have been accepted! It is a huge accomplishment!

Thank you for the advice! Penn was a real stretch for me but I have had the bulk of my veterinary experience at Penn and both of my eLORs came from veterinarians at Penn and the Philadelphia Zoo. I've been wanting to go here since I was a kid and even if I got an interview I think I would pass out. That being said, they are so heavy on your GPA that it's holding me back immensely. I am hoping and praying for even a chance to interview because I really feel like I could sell myself at an interview.

By the way, congratulations to those who have been accepted! It is a huge accomplishment!

I feel the same way! I applied to Penn back in 2012 and they immediately rejected my application in December since I had a low undergrad GPA. Got a master's degree with a 3.9 and so far they haven't rejected but I'm worried I won't get an interview. If they'd give us the chance we can totally sell ourselves to them more than what's on the application.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel the same way! I applied to Penn back in 2012 and they immediately rejected my application in December since I had a low undergrad GPA. Got a master's degree with a 3.9 and so far they haven't rejected but I'm worried I won't get an interview. If they'd give us the chance we can totally sell ourselves to them more than what's on the application.

Wow a master's with a 3.9, that's awesome! I'm sure they'll interview you, especially because you've shown a real interest in them with the reapplication. Don't lose hope yet! You're still in the game if they haven't told you no yet :)

Wow a master's with a 3.9, that's awesome! I'm sure they'll interview you, especially because you've shown a real interest in them with the reapplication. Don't lose hope yet! You're still in the game if they haven't told you no yet :)

Thanks for the positivity! I keep trying to tell myself that but its difficult since we are getting so close to the end. I hope the few of us left on here that didn't get invites get them soon so we can stop worrying!

Thanks for the positivity! I keep trying to tell myself that but its difficult since we are getting so close to the end. I hope the few of us left on here that didn't get invites get them soon so we can stop worrying!

I called them last week and I am tempted to call them this week to ask when they are sending out their next wave of interviews although I thought that might be too ambitious.

Does anyone have any insight or resources I could refer to for Penn's wildlife medicine opportunities? I haven't been able to find much on their website, only that they do work with the Philadelphia Zoo and they have some wildlife electives. And I read an article about their international opportunities where students go to Africa and work with Rhino conservation and stuff. Also, does Penn not have an MPH dual program? I noticed their curriculum incorporates a Veterinary Public Health and epidemiology course, but that's about it.

Are any of you looking to focus in wildlife medicine but still chose Penn?

Does anyone have any insight or resources I could refer to for Penn's wildlife medicine opportunities? I haven't been able to find much on their website, only that they do work with the Philadelphia Zoo and they have some wildlife electives. And I read an article about their international opportunities where students go to Africa and work with Rhino conservation and stuff. Also, does Penn not have an MPH dual program? I noticed their curriculum incorporates a Veterinary Public Health and epidemiology course, but that's about it.

Are any of you looking to focus in wildlife medicine but still chose Penn?

I have quite a few classmates that are interested in wildlife/exotics/zoo med etc.

The curriculum definitely doesn't have a ton of wildlife incorporated into (there are avian, small mammal, etc electives) but most of my classmates take it upon themselves to see outside opportunities. Some have gone to Africa as you mentioned and other classmates have also done summers/internship at a wildlife clinic in Belize, which I've heard is pretty awesome. Locally, I think one of the main opportunities is probably being Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research. It is a slight commute, but they have taken volunteers and I think even students can conduct research projects while there. There was also an opportunity the past two years to participate in the banding of owl legs.

And we also alternate hosting the Special Species Symposium with Cornell. We hosted it last year and they're doing it this year, but it's a whole weekend of exotic/zoo/wildlife related activities. Last year we had some wet labs with IO catheter placement, bandaging, raptor handling and some aquatic necropsies in addition to lectures in various topics.

Penn also co runs/founded Aquavet with Cornell and reserves a certain number of seats for Penn students every summer. It's still super competitive and you need to show a demonstrated interest in aquatics but it sounds like an awesome experience from friends who have done (I always ended up wait listed).

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but if there is something in particular you want to know more about, I can try to track down a specific person who has done something related to what you're interested in and get more information.

ETA: Another easy way to gain the experience is by doing Early Entry/Double Early Entry in 3rd year (won't go into too much detail on the whole process but by doing this, you get 8-16 weeks potential externships wherever you want in additional to whatever vacations you have for 4th year) and planning a bunch of externships at zoos, wildlife centers, etc. I wasn't able to make it work for me, but if you plan it right, you should be able to line up some nice opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have quite a few classmates that are interested in wildlife/exotics/zoo med etc.

The curriculum definitely doesn't have a ton of wildlife incorporated into (there are avian, small mammal, etc electives) but most of my classmates take it upon themselves to see outside opportunities. Some have gone to Africa as you mentioned and other classmates have also done summers/internship at a wildlife clinic in Belize, which I've heard is pretty awesome. Locally, I think one of the main opportunities is probably being Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research. It is a slight commute, but they have taken volunteers and I think even students can conduct research projects while there. There was also an opportunity the past two years to participate in the banding of owl legs.

And we also alternate hosting the Special Species Symposium with Cornell. We hosted it last year and their doing it this year, but it's a whole weekend of exotic/zoo/wildlife related activities. Last year we had some wet labs with IO catheter placement, bandaging, raptor handling and some aquatic necropsies in addition to lectures in various topics.

Penn also co runs/founded Aquavet with Cornell and reserves a certain number of seats for Penn students every summer. It's still super competitive and you need to show a demonstrated interest in aquatics but it sounds like an awesome experience from friends who have done (I always ended up wait listed).

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but if there is something in particular you want to know more about, I can try to track down a specific person who has done something related to what you're interested in and get more information.
That was really helpful, thank you! I'm gonna PM you :D

I'm really starting to worry that they are done giving out invites. I have not heard anyone mention getting an invite in two weeks.:( Anyone brave enough to call?

I could try to call tomorrow. I know they said they are sending out invites until mid february. I could go down there personally because I volunteer there but I don't know what I would say. Although the more I think about it the better it probably is. Ill see if I can go down there tomorrow and get some info. Any questions that you guys want me to ask? I'll bring a pen and paper haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@orca2011: Thank you so much for that info! I'm very interested in pursuing a wildlife and was concerned Penn was lacking in that department. Would it be cool if I PMed you about more specific stuff?

@jmstroup: It's nice to meet another pre-vet with an interest in wildlife! Most people I talk to want to do small or mixed!

thanks for the info @orca2011 ! I was a little shocked when I went for my interview and tour and the students spoke about the 5 "majors" that they offered. I was a bit scared that Penn doesn't have any of the wildlife/zoo medicine! But, this is super reassuring. Let's just hope I can join y'all ;) !

Let us know what you find out inanimate zebra!

I could try to call tomorrow. I know they said they are sending out invites until mid february. I could go down there personally because I volunteer there but I don't know what I would say. Although the more I think about it the better it probably is. Ill see if I can go down there tomorrow and get some info. Any questions that you guys want me to ask? I'll bring a pen and paper haha.

Thank you!!! Just ask them if they are done giving out invites or if there will be a wave of invites given out still. I think someone mentioned them saying they would be done by the 15th..If they are still only giving them out on Fridays then theres only this week left. I'm hoping Friday the 13th isn't unlucky for us:nailbiting:

Dreamt last night that penn gave away my spot because I forgot to turn in my deposit. Woke up in a panic and turned in my check first thing this am. Sad to report the neurosis does not subside after admission has been granted. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Dreamt last night that penn gave away my spot because I forgot to turn in my deposit. Woke up in a panic and turned in my check first thing this am. Sad to report the neurosis does not subside after admission has been granted. ;)
I'm anxiously awaiting my tax returns so I can mail my check!

I wish we could do it electronically so as not to feed my paranoia about all the things being always lost in the mail.

Thank you!!! Just ask them if they are done giving out invites or if there will be a wave of invites given out still. I think someone mentioned them saying they would be done by the 15th..If they are still only giving them out on Fridays then theres only this week left. I'm hoping Friday the 13th isn't unlucky for us:nailbiting:

I didn't have time to make it there today, I really apologize. I am going to see if I can give them a call tomorrow but I am in lab from 9am-4pm.

Has anyone else bravely called them recently?

When I was there last friday they made it sound like the last interview would be this friday (2/13). Not sure about this, just wanted to pass it on!

When I was there last friday they made it sound like the last interview would be this friday (2/13). Not sure about this, just wanted to pass it on!

Last interview invite or last interview in general?

I have a hard time believing it's the last interview day because I think more people would have received rejections by now if that were the case. From what I've seen in previous years, most people get notified of rejections 2-3wks before the last interview and then the last few are rejected the week of the final interview.

Are there around 100 people in the Facebook page?

Are there around 100 people in the Facebook page?

There are around 100 people in the FB group but some are current students. I do know that someone I go to undergrad with now that was also accepted is not in the group so it's definitely not everyone that's already been accepted.

They told me that they would be sending out interviews until the middle of February so I'm sure that Friday isn't the last interview day. In addition, I browsed through the class of 2018 and some of them didn't even get invited to interview until mid March. I wouldn't count us out just yet.

We might be near the end then after all and I received my rejection from penn last year on March 17th which I am pretty sure is after all of the acceptances so it is not that surprising that a lot of rejections haven't been sent out because they wait to hear back from most of the students they have accepted before they start to send out rejections

They told me that they would be sending out interviews until the middle of February so I'm sure that Friday isn't the last interview day. In addition, I browsed through the class of 2018 and some of them didn't even get invited to interview until mid March. I wouldn't count us out just yet.

When I went for my interview last month they said that the most common complaint they got was having interviews through March and stringing people along, so they changed the way they interview and how many they can do in a day so they'd be done before the end of February.

When I went for my interview last month they said that the most common complaint they got was having interviews through March and stringing people along, so they changed the way they interview and how many they can do in a day so they'd be done before the end of February.

Well that makes me sad.

:uhno:booooooo

We might be near the end then after all and I received my rejection from penn last year on March 17th which I am pretty sure is after all of the acceptances so it is not that surprising that a lot of rejections haven't been sent out because they wait to hear back from most of the students they have accepted before they start to send out rejections
I think the 17th (or near there) is when I got rejected last year too and that Friday was the last interview day.

Do you know who I can email to get an invite to the V'19 group? It's torture not being invited yet haha.

Hi guys, I called the admissions office this afternoon. The last interview day is this Friday unfortunately. Rejections will be sent out by the end of the month.

Dang that is so unfortunate.

I think my heart just broke..:( When I called last week they told me they were still giving out invites, which would have meant the last interview would not be Friday. I guess that isn't the case anymore though. Sigh.

I think my heart just broke..:( When I called last week they told me they were still giving out invites, which would have meant the last interview would not be Friday. I guess that isn't the case anymore though. Sigh.
Yeah, I literally called last Monday and they told me my application was still competitive and that they were still sending out invites. So it wouldn't really make sense if they generally give out invites at least two weeks in advance.

I'm sorry, guys :( Sending thoughts your way! If they gave you conflicting information it still might be worthwhile to call them up and verify.

Ok. I just called and the person
I talked to said that the last interviews are this week and that should fill up all the spots.
So they will be sending out rejections shortly.

Aw. Well I have to kill this interview at LMU then.

Edit: I just called them and they said the last of the interviews have been sent out. They said that they may send out a few more but the odds are unlikely.

Last edited:
Me too :( I think that might be true
I was getting nervous about not hearing anything so I emailed them about two weeks ago asking if I was still being considered since I had not heard anything from them since October. They got back to me yesterday saying that my application was still being considered, which leaves me to assume that they are still planning on inviting people to interview.

I was getting nervous about not hearing anything so I emailed them about two weeks ago asking if I was still being considered since I had not heard anything from them since October. They got back to me yesterday saying that my application was still being considered, which leaves me to assume that they are still planning on inviting people to interview.
That is exactly what they told me last week so I'm getting very mixed signals.

I don't understand how Penn does things. So confusing. Crossing my fingers for everyone still waiting to hear!!!

I just called. Yes Friday is the last day, and they said as of this point "my application probably hasn't been selected". :(

Thank you to everyone who has called the school, regardless of the most-likely-bad-news coming up... :/