UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they came out with the waitlist rankings yet?

They said you can call to find out the 6th.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also asked and they said "Feel free to contact us after March 6th to determine your ranking on the alternate list." So I'm still going to try calling on the 6th..

Do we call Ms. Herpen for the info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I declined my OOS seat!! Good luck OOSers!!!! (and ISers!)

Reactions: 3 users
"After March 6th" means that you have to call on the 9th right? The following Monday? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

We're on break right now, so I don't know that they would even be there tomorrow. They probably meant Monday or later. :)

I just called and there is only one person in the office today and with all the snow, it probably won't be until Monday or Tuesday of next week that they will be able to let us know. I've waited this long, what's a couple more days!

I just called and spoke to admissions...I'm #9! Ughhh so close and yet so far away.......Does anyone know, on average, how many people are accepted off the waitlist? He told me to call back in a month and he might have more information for me then.

Last year, it looks like they didn't get to number 5. Every year is different though!!

I just called and spoke to admissions...I'm #9! Ughhh so close and yet so far away.......Does anyone know, on average, how many people are accepted off the waitlist? He told me to call back in a month and he might have more information for me then.
there is no consistency to this. Some years they call LOTS of people. Some few.

Also, in my year they called someone off the wait list in August... a few weeks before classes began.
And he was a great student and is a vet now ( i am sure a great one).

Sooo does anyone know if Penn actually stringently check prerequisites after you've been accepted?

I'm taking my last two prereqs right now and more or less intend on passing. There is one prereq that I won't be fulfilling on paper because of a very long story that boils down to administrative BS. I've successfully convinced other vet school adcoms that it's just a technicality, but Penn never asked me to list my classes against their prereq list so it never came up. I'm kinda paranoid that they'll suddenly care a week before we matriculate, and I'll have to take up arms again or be REJECTED and have to reapply! :eek:

Sooo does anyone know if Penn actually stringently check prerequisites after you've been accepted?

I'm taking my last two prereqs right now and more or less intend on passing. There is one prereq that I won't be fulfilling on paper because of a very long story that boils down to administrative BS. I've successfully convinced other vet school adcoms that it's just a technicality, but Penn never asked me to list my classes against their prereq list so it never came up. I'm kinda paranoid that they'll suddenly care a week before we matriculate, and I'll have to take up arms again or be REJECTED and have to reapply! :eek:
IIRC, they review the classes and discuss any that might be missing after you accept.
I had 2 that needed clarification and all was fine.

You might want to check with others though. THat was a few years ago, and I could be confusing the schools who accepted me.

Penn checked in with me about 3 weeks ago to let me know they were aware I was missing a prereq (which I plan to take this summer). They seem very relaxed about how you go about completing it (via 2 year college etc.) but i think they'd definitely notice if you had some missing.

Members don't see this ad :)
#9 isn't too bad considering the total length of the list! It must be long because I'm #36! o_O I don't mind though, because I think UIUC is the better fit for what I need out of my DVM :) Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

They went through all of mine last week and emailed me asking if I had taken a stats class because they didn't see it on my transcript..man I was paranoid as hell
I did take a stats class in undergrad but it was through the psych dept for my minor so it had a weird name. I emailed them back right away and told them about the weird name and they were cool with it. :)

Last year, it looks like they didn't get to number 5. Every year is different though!!

May I ask how you found this out?

On a side note... I'd like to think that people that are on the low end of Penn OOS waitlist (#1-10) are highly qualified so that means that they probably got into their IS schools or are on the IS waitlist. IS school is much cheaper than OOS so they will probably choose IS if they get off the waitlist. This also applies to OOS people who got their acceptance letters for Penn too. Then there are those who absolutely fell in love with Penn, got rejected from IS, or didn't have an IS vet school who will definitely accept Penn. AHHH. I should stop thinking about this.

Last edited:
May I ask how you found this out?

On a side note... I'd like to think that people that are on the low end of Penn OOS waitlist (#1-10) are highly qualified so that means that they probably got into their IS schools or are on the IS waitlist. IS school is much cheaper than OOS so they will probably choose IS if they get off the waitlist. This also applies to OOS people who got their acceptance letters for Penn too. Then there are those who absolutely fell in love with Penn, got rejected from IS, or didn't have an IS vet school who will definitely accept Penn. AHHH. I should stop thinking about this.
it is really random though....
Depends on how all the sticks fall out (or the darts if you believe @DVMDream)

Hell there are cases of calling declined people because they run through the entire wait list (maybe not at Penn, my memory is fuzzy.. but it happens).

Any advice on finding roommates?
Facebook stalking is helpful ;). I know last year somebody got a google doc together of people that were looking for roommates that included interests, preferred number of roommates, pets, etc. Maybe our class can get one of those together, too!

Any advice on finding roommates?

Just ask on your facebook page. Like if you find a place you're interested in living in, post a link to the place and just ask. That's how I found my roomie first year. We've lived together since then but will be splitting after this year because I'm moving into my bf's place (saves me $4000+/year) and my other roomie is likely moving out towards NBC.

Btws. My awesome house is up for grabs on the orientation page.

just wanted to let all the waitlisters know i'm declining my offer of acceptance today, so hopefully someone gets a call soon!

Is it ok to send an email to decline an acceptance? Which email address would be best?

Yes, and probably to whoever sent you your acceptance email.
We got calls this year, not emails... That's why I'm wondering what a good email would be, or if I should just use the normal admissions email.

We got calls this year, not emails... That's why I'm wondering what a good email would be, or if I should just use the normal admissions email.

They call every year, but they didn't send you an acceptance letter by email in addition to that? I'd either use the normal admissions email then or maybe Rosanne Herpen's.

I'll email her! Thanks everyone and good luck to those of you on the waitlist, I hope this helps someone!

Is it ok to send an email to decline an acceptance? Which email address would be best?

I just called them to let them know I would not be attending, and she asked that I also send an email to [email protected] so they had something more official on file.