UPenn c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys.

Penn emailed me today regarding my application status:

"After careful consideration of the overall pool of applicants for this admissions cycle, we have concluded that there are a number of applicants that are not competitive with the overall group. We have decided to notify these individuals early on rather than next spring. Your application is among those which has been identified as being less competitive."

Bums me out but I expected it. My GPA's were pretty low but i wanted to give it a shot. Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys.

"After careful consideration of the overall pool of applicants for this admissions cycle, we have concluded that there are a number of applicants that are not competitive with the overall group. We have decided to notify these individuals early on rather than next spring. Your application is among those which has been identified as being less competitive."

Bums me out but I expected it. My GPA's were pretty low but i wanted to give it a shot. Good luck to everyone else!

Sorry to hear it man. :(
What time did they email you today?
Would you mind sharing your stats? My GPAs are pretty low as well :/

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys.

Sorry to hear that :\
Good luck with your other schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
The email was around 3PM today. Both my last 45 and cum were around 3.0-3.1. GRE scores were decent but again not competitive enough.

But thanks! I will wait for others schools, and if not, make my application stronger for next year and apply again. :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Gah! I'm nervous I might get an email tomorrow then... Good with your other schools, though!

Anyone know when they plan on sending out interview invites this year? I think last year they sent around the 12th?

Gah! I'm nervous I might get an email tomorrow then... Good with your other schools, though!

Anyone know when they plan on sending out interview invites this year? I think last year they sent around the 12th?
They send them out in waves, I think, but earliest ones seem to come out the 12th.

They send them out in waves, I think, but earliest ones seem to come out the 12th.
Were all the early rejections sent out yesterday, or did more go out today? Just wondering if more bad news emails should be expected before the probable first round of interview invites around the 12th :scared:.

Also, kind of excited that I just figured out how to quote someone! Feelin like a boss...:pompous:

Reactions: 2 users
I got an interview invite at around 3 today.

i also got an interview invite today for Jan 9th. OOS btw- good luck to everyone and i'll update how the process goes once it happens

Does anyone know how they determine who gets interviews when?

Does anyone know how Upenn decides who to interview? i know for VMRCVM weighed 60% on GPA and 40%nonacademics, can't seem to search up how they weigh academic and nonacademic portion of our application

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn is one of the more difficult ones to figure out. I talked to several members of the admission committee and they said (assuming an applicant meets certain minimum academic standards) they weigh the personal statement heavily. I'm assuming they also select people with very high gpa's and gre's even if they have a fairly generic statement.

If I haven't heard anything should I assume I haven't been rejected?

If I haven't heard anything should I assume I haven't been rejected?
Probably? There's still a chance, but they send out interviews on a weekly basis for a few months, so no news is good news!

My roomies and I (two 3rd years and one second year )are willing to host people if they want to stay overnight (we have happy hours like every Friday and you're encouraged to come hang out with us afterwards) and not pay for a hotel. My one roomie will be gone for the first few dates as she'll be OOS for some externships so there is potential you may be able to use her room, but we otherwise have two pull out sofa beds. You'll just have to be able to deal with 2-3 dogs and two guinea pigs.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! Are you IS or OOS? And when is your interview?
It's January 9th and i'm OOS.
Hearsay Time: I heard from a friend that Penn does this thing where they reject a few people outright and offer a few people interviews outright and then keep a pool of people in limbo. And every week when they decide to send out more interviews they review the application pile and decide to either offer, reject, or continue deliberating on every person. This continues until march, so they can kind of string you along for months until they ultimately decide to reject or offer you anything. =/ I dont know how true this is....but it's what i heard.....

So just to clarify, we shouldn't expect more interviews to go out until after the Jan 9th people go for theirs?

So just to clarify, we shouldn't expect more interviews to go out until after the Jan 9th people go for theirs?
I think it's more like each week they send out invites. So there should be more coming this week, for a later interview date.

What WZ said is right. Pretty much every week another wave of interview invitations gets sent out.

Generally there's also a designated large animal day where a lot of people that mentioned they're interested in LA medicine get called in. That was on Valentine's Day last year and I received my interview for that sometime in December.

What WZ said is right. Pretty much every week another wave of interview invitations gets sent out.

Generally there's also a designated large animal day where a lot of people that mentioned they're interested in LA medicine get called in. That was on Valentine's Day last year and I received my interview for that sometime in December.
Whoa, really? So if they judge you against the other people interviewing your day, then it's kind of like affirmative action for different veterinary fields?

Whoa, really? So if they judge you against the other people interviewing your day, then it's kind of like affirmative action for different veterinary fields?
I think the main draw of the LA day is that they get to take a large group of people out to New Bolton at once. I don't believe they offer the New Bolton field trip on other interview days, but I might be wrong. I'm pretty sure people that attend that day are still judged against everyone else; there's just the added benefit of the field trip :).

I think the main draw of the LA day is that they get to take a large group of people out to New Bolton at once. I don't believe they offer the New Bolton field trip on other interview days, but I might be wrong. I'm pretty sure people that attend that day are still judged against everyone else; there's just the added benefit of the field trip :).

Yup. I was told they actually ask the "have you been to NBC" question on the supplemental app specifically to figure out which LA applicants need to see it in order to make their decisions. So if you're an LA applicant they'd like to interview, but you've already seen NBC, they might schedule you on a day other than LA day so that someone who hasn't been there can see the campus.

Yup. I was told they actually ask the "have you been to NBC" question on the supplemental app specifically to figure out which LA applicants need to see it in order to make their decisions. So if you're an LA applicant they'd like to interview, but you've already seen NBC, they might schedule you on a day other than LA day so that someone who hasn't been there can see the campus.
Yup! They definitely do interview people that are interested in LAs on days other than the LA Day. I don't want people interested in LA medicine to freak out if they aren't asked to the LA Day ;).

any news today? waiting is so hard!

Ah. For some reason I kept thinking it was Thursdays. Must be all this nervous energy messing with my brain. :dead:

My throat's a little sore from all the screaming, but here we go: just got an interview invite!!! Jan 16! :soexcited: can't believe this is real life...

Reactions: 5 users
Are you guys getting email notifications?

Yes, mine was an email around 2:45.

Hey Orwell, would you mind posting your stats by any chance, for those of us who are still wiggling around in their seats hoping to hear something good? :)

Congrats, guys! :)

If anyone that's interviewing is interested in meeting up at some point for drinks/food just shoot me a pm!

Congrats!

I hope I hear back sooner rather than later, because I'm going to start hating Fridays otherwise :(

Just got an interview invite via email for 1/23 :)

Reactions: 5 users
Well there goes the invites on Fridays thing lol

Yeah dude. They caught me so off-guard. Especially since I don't consider myself to be nearly as competitive as everyone else on here!

Would you mind posting your stats, so I can hold onto hope?

Would you mind posting your stats, so I can hold onto hope?

Hah - sure. It's not impressive by any means, whatsoever. Should give lots of hope to lots of people.

2nd Time Applicant - 3.16 cumulative GPA (between undergrad which was disastrous & post-bacc classes that I've gotten pretty much all A's in (biochem, biochem 2, advanced cell bio, etc)
I've actually never calculated my science GPA but I'd gather it would also be around a 3.1something...
GRE - took it only once in 2011 V680 (95%) Q720 (dont remember percentile but I think it was like in the 60s?)
6 years experience as GP vet tech, 2 years experience as emergency vet tech
4 years research experience (not published, but worked as a research assistant in 3 labs)
Also worked on my school's farm all 5 years that I was in undergrad so I got to assist in goat neuters and took care of all the horses/pigs/sheep/goats
Spent one year working as a rescue dog behavioral counselor for a rescue org
Does my awesome colony of hissing cockroaches count...? :p

It's still really early in the game, guys! Penn doesn't just send out one or two waves of interviews!

Hah - sure. It's not impressive by any means, whatsoever. Should give lots of hope to lots of people.

2nd Time Applicant - 3.16 cumulative GPA (between undergrad which was disastrous & post-bacc classes that I've gotten pretty much all A's in (biochem, biochem 2, advanced cell bio, etc)
I've actually never calculated my science GPA but I'd gather it would also be around a 3.1something...
GRE - took it only once in 2011 V680 (95%) Q720 (dont remember percentile but I think it was like in the 60s?)
6 years experience as GP vet tech, 2 years experience as emergency vet tech
4 years research experience (not published, but worked as a research assistant in 3 labs)
Also worked on my school's farm all 5 years that I was in undergrad so I got to assist in goat neuters and took care of all the horses/pigs/sheep/goats
Spent one year working as a rescue dog behavioral counselor for a rescue org
Does my awesome colony of hissing cockroaches count...? :p

I think you make a strong and unique applicant....I'm sure your experience shined above others. Congrats to you! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really hate this whole sending-out-decisions-at-different-times-for-different-people thing. Why does vet school do this? :/