UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just ordered t-shirts. Pretty much as official as it gets.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes because those people technically have the chance to change their minds and accept the spot until the deadline. It's an agreed upon deadline by all schools. No wait lists are touched until after April 15th. Plus most schools accept more than their class size assuming not all will accept the offer anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
That doesn't make sense though. April 15th is the deadline but I'm sure people make their final decision before then. So the wait list would move as people make their decisions. And the wait list email didn't say anything about a hard deadline about when we'll stop or start finish hearing.

Reactions: 1 users
That doesn't make sense though. April 15th is the deadline but I'm sure people make their final decision before then. So the wait list would move as people make their decisions. And the wait list email didn't say anything about a hard deadline about when we'll stop or start finish hearing.

Changing their minds isn't exactly the term I'd use, but each person who gets an acceptance has until April 15th to make their decision, but the rest of the post makes sense. They send out more acceptances than they have spots because they know not everyone is going to accept. They will not begin offering people spots off the waitlist until they have heard from all those people with hard acceptances. The list might move, but they won't be calling you until after that date. Pretty sure every school won't call until after the wait list. I'm also speaking from experience after being on a grand total of 6 wait lists (including Penn) over my two application cycles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing their minds isn't exactly the term I'd use, but each person who gets an acceptance has until April 15th to make their decision, but the rest of the post makes sense. They send out more acceptances than they have spots because they know not everyone is going to accept. They will not begin offering people spots off the waitlist until they have heard from all those people with hard acceptances. The list might move, but they won't be calling you until after that date. Pretty sure every school won't call until after the wait list. I'm also speaking from experience after being on a grand total of 6 wait lists (including Penn) over my two application cycles.
Thanks for the info! That kinda sucks then because I got into another school so i'd have to confirm there and probably make a deposit, which I'd loose if I heard I got into Penn after April 15th and wanted to go to Penn.

So I'm officially submitting the paperwork to confirm my seat with UPenn! There was a little bit of pause after getting into VMCVM (my IS), but not much :p. PennVet 2020!

I'm in the same boat. What tipped your decision in favor of Penn?

Ability to network, as dictated by faculty caliber/reputation and their willingness to interact with students, overall school resources (this is where the whole "Ivy League" bit actually matters), general vibe/goodness of fit, NIH funding and resultant research opportunities, and diversity of opportunities abroad. I'd also like to start a research initiative in Panama (where my wife is from, conveniently), in collaboration with the Smithsonian Institute, to address the massive amount of unstudied disease transmission that goes on as a result of all of the transoceanic and transcontinental commerce. I think UPENN is more likely to have the money and resources (and thus enthusiasm) to support this.

Reactions: 1 user
I also need to get the hell out of Virginia. It will always be home for me, but I've lived here my entire life (Suffolk and C'ville) and I'm ready for something new.

Ability to network, as dictated by faculty caliber/reputation and their willingness to interact with students, overall school resources (this is where the whole "Ivy League" bit actually matters), general vibe/goodness of fit, NIH funding and resultant research opportunities, and diversity of opportunities abroad. I'd also like to start a research initiative in Panama (where my wife is from, conveniently), in collaboration with the Smithsonian Institute, to address the massive amount of unstudied disease transmission that goes on as a result of all of the transoceanic and transcontinental commerce. I think UPENN is more likely to have the money and resources (and thus enthusiasm) to support this.

Yeah, the research opportunities bit is huge. I agree with you on the overall resources bit, though I know that's a little controversial in academia in general. My experience in studying at an Ivy and at state schools has been that the only real difference that actually affected me was in the school's resources and the doors they opened. I'm not sure how significant the differences are among vet schools, but having an extremely well-funded medical school with a ton of research right across the street is definitely an advantage. I'm also curious about the pharmaceutical industry, and two people I went to school with who ended up at Wharton said they have a ton of connections.

I really like your idea for that initiative. That sounds awesome, and I hope you get a chance to get it up and running.

I also need to get the hell out of Virginia. It will always be home for me, but I've lived here my entire life (Suffolk and C'ville) and I'm ready for something new.

Fair enough. :) For me, it's kind of the opposite. I grew up in NJ. I love Philly and have a bunch of old friends there. It feels more like home than NoVA, and Blacksburg is quite different to me. Leaning towards Penn, but the money is making this decision very difficult.

Hopefully we'll meet sometime! I love Central America and I'm passionate about helping the animals in that area in any way. I'd love to talk Panama with you and your wife. One of my goals is to go back there to help with spay/neuter programs.

P.S. Confession - when you first started posting, I read your name as "Jessica" for some reason, so I was surprised to learn you are male.

Leaning towards Penn, but the money is making this decision very difficult.

I think you'd already commented on this, but since Penn offered me a scholarship that equalizes the tuition I'll be paying with that of VMCVM, the money issue has been largely removed from the equation (I truly "lucked out" on that one). To be honest, if I hadn't gotten the scholarship I would likely have stayed in state. Penn has been my dream school all along, but $50k vs $25k in tuition is pretty huge, so it would have been difficult to justify forgoing the instate tuition barring not getting into Va-Md. Especially since VMCVM has a burgeoning public health program at this point, I think overall I would have been decently happy there. UPenn has an unbelievable alumni base, though, so I would have to imagine that there are plenty of scholarships to apply for if you decide to attend!

P.S. I'm sorry that NoVa was your Va experience... I think that may be my least favorite place in existence haha. Hailing from southeastern Va (right on the NC border), it's always hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that NoVa is part of the same state. It's unbelievably different. Have you liked living there okay? I've never actually lived in that part of the state, so my opinion of the area is probably unfounded.

Last edited:
Hopefully we'll meet sometime! I love Central America and I'm passionate about helping the animals in that area in any way. I'd love to talk Panama with you and your wife. One of my goals is to go back there to help with spay/neuter programs.

P.S. Confession - when you first started posting, I read your name as "Jessica" for some reason, so I was surprised to learn you are male.

Nice! So my wife is actually starting med school in the fall as well (we're aware that this sounds completely crazy) and we sort of have this dream of tying the human and animal realms of medicine together someday when we're "functional doctors" who are capable of independent operation. I personally hope that we end up working in public health down in Panama for a solid chunk of time, perhaps doing disease surveillance, but I guess right now there's no telling where we'll end up. Since you mentioned you'd like to "go back there" have you been to one or several central American countries already? And I have to admit that the bit about my username was pretty amusing :D

Nice! So my wife is actually starting med school in the fall as well (we're aware that this sounds completely crazy) and we sort of have this dream of tying the human and animal realms of medicine together someday when we're "functional doctors" who are capable of independent operation. I personally hope that we end up working in public health down in Panama for a solid chunk of time, perhaps doing disease surveillance, but I guess right now there's no telling where we'll end up. Since you mentioned you'd like to "go back there" have you been to one or several central American countries already? And I have to admit that the bit about my username was pretty amusing :D
I've been to Costa Rica, Panama, Belize and Honduras. Central America is really one of my favorite areas to visit, though I really want to go to South America too. In Panama I visited Casco viejo (Panama City), boquete and bocas del tores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I knew where I was on the wait list. I'd like to know what my chances are of actually going to vet school this year :(

I'm currently working with STRI!!! (Short term fellow) I'm planning on applying to UPenn this upcoming cycle, small world. [Panama is amazing btw!]

I'm currently working with STRI!!! (Short term fellow) I'm planning on applying to UPenn this upcoming cycle, small world. [Panama is amazing btw!]

Ah man, that's awesome. I was really hoping to do one of the short term fellowships as an undergrad or directly after graduation, but never did get myself organized and apply. Hoping to make amends to that in the next couple of years. How do you like it? And yeah, Panama is great. I'm really hoping that my wife and I can live/work down there for a few years at some point.

Ah man, that's awesome. I was really hoping to do one of the short term fellowships as an undergrad or directly after graduation, but never did get myself organized and apply. Hoping to make amends to that in the next couple of years. How do you like it? And yeah, Panama is great. I'm really hoping that my wife and I can live/work down there for a few years at some point.

Well you definitely have time! I work in Gamboa (STRI's main office is in Tupper/the city), but a lot of staff scientists also live/work in Gamboa. STRI is also building a larger office in Gam so I'm guessing they will have a stronger presence here in the future (now its kind of a cold simmer - anytime I need any major assistance I need to take the bus up to the main office). Otherwise, everyone has been awesome and my god is the wildlife unreal! I work with fish located in waterfall sites in the jungle (Soberania National Park) and it's definitely an amazing experience. Definitely apply to work with STRI! It'll re-kickstart your passion for the sciences. Guaranteed. Luck! :nod:

I got accepted back in mid January, and am sending in my paper work and deposit to make it official this weekend. Does anybody know when we get invited to the facebook group? I got the first email congratulating us and telling us about the facebook group and then at the end it said, "We will be sending you a separate e-mail shortly with a link to join the group!". But that was a while ago, just wanna make sure I didn't miss an email or anything.

I got accepted back in mid January, and am sending in my paper work and deposit to make it official this weekend. Does anybody know when we get invited to the facebook group? I got the first email congratulating us and telling us about the facebook group and then at the end it said, "We will be sending you a separate e-mail shortly with a link to join the group!". But that was a while ago, just wanna make sure I didn't miss an email or anything.

I was accepted early January and got the email to join, and I know several people accepted afterwards who got it as well. You may want to email them to get the link!

I was accepted early January and got the email to join, and I know several people accepted afterwards who got it as well. You may want to email them to get the link!

Yeah I actually just double checked through my emails and found the invite email with the link. So I did just miss that email. Thank you!

Out of curiosity, are you not still considering Cornell?

I'm still considering them. Before moving here, I spent 2 years in western NY (in the city where my husband grew up, about an hour and a half from Ithaca) and got to visit the school twice. I really love the school and the area, but logistically, the location is more difficult for us to handle than Philly or Blacksburg, since my husband has to stay in NoVA. I've been focusing on Penn and VM for that reason, but Cornell did offer me a small scholarship, which is great. So I'm not ready to decide that picking Cornell is out of the question. Before we moved out of NY, I really wanted to go there as my top choice, but without the IS tuition and without my husband living either with me or only an hour and a half away, it gets messier. I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those people who takes until April to decide, which is no fun for anybody. :laugh:

I'm still considering them. Before moving here, I spent 2 years in western NY (in the city where my husband grew up, about an hour and a half from Ithaca) and got to visit the school twice. I really love the school and the area, but logistically, the location is more difficult for us to handle than Philly or Blacksburg, since my husband has to stay in NoVA. I've been focusing on Penn and VM for that reason, but Cornell did offer me a small scholarship, which is great. So I'm not ready to decide that picking Cornell is out of the question. Before we moved out of NY, I really wanted to go there as my top choice, but without the IS tuition and without my husband living either with me or only an hour and a half away, it gets messier. I have a feeling I'm going to be one of those people who takes until April to decide, which is no fun for anybody. :laugh:
I definitely know that feeling of frustration, in terms of coordinating with a spouse... my wife starts med school in august, either at uva or upitt, so it's felt like a bit of a wild goose chase trying to make decisions on where to apply, where to actually interview, and, of course, where to attend. Best of luck to you and your husband! At the very least, you have some seriously great options to pick from!

I know it's a *bit* early to think about housing, but if anyone is moving to Philly with a significant other and doesn't want to live in a house with a bunch of roomates, my boyfriend and I are going to be moving out of our 1-bedroom apartment, which is a ten minute walk from school. It's pet friendly which is awesome (we have a large dog and a cat, and the people before us had two dogs and two cats), has a backyard, and is directly across the street from Clark Park which has the farmers market every Saturday:love:

If anyone thinks they may be interested, feel free to PM me and I can give you more details.

We also have 3 rooms opening up in the house I'm in (there's a current 1st and 2nd year here who both should be staying). Rent is pretty cheap and no breed/pet limitations or deposit. Landlord has been great about responding to things too. Feel free to shoot me a message but I'm sure info will be posted in your class page soon if it hasn't already.

I definitely know that feeling of frustration, in terms of coordinating with a spouse... my wife starts med school in august, either at uva or upitt, so it's felt like a bit of a wild goose chase trying to make decisions on where to apply, where to actually interview, and, of course, where to attend. Best of luck to you and your husband! At the very least, you have some seriously great options to pick from!

Thanks! We'll figure something out eventually. :) Some other family circumstances are making this more complicated, too, but I'm hoping things will become a little clearer soon. Best of luck to you and your wife, as well!

Hey guys! My landlord is looking for new tenants for a 2-bedroom/2-bath condo on 43rd and Spruce (www.4300spruce.com/home.aspx). There is an in-unit washer + dryer as well as a storage unit in the basement. It is also pet-friendly! I absolutely loved living here for the past 4 years and will be sad to move out after I graduate this May. The apartment will be available for rent beginning July 1st. Please PM me for details/pictures if interested!

Reactions: 2 users
Yet another question for the current Penn students - I'm visiting over Spring Break to look at apartments. A realtor suggested one to me, rent is great, it's pet friendly and only 10 min from the school... my issue is that the company that rents out the building is called "Campus Apartments." I asked them if the building is mostly undergrad or grad students and they told me they weren't allowed to share that information. Does anyone have any knowledge of the company, do you know if their buildings tend to be noisy with lots of undergrads or if they're ok? The best the guy could tell me was that they have never had any noise complaints from the building...

Yet another question for the current Penn students - I'm visiting over Spring Break to look at apartments. A realtor suggested one to me, rent is great, it's pet friendly and only 10 min from the school... my issue is that the company that rents out the building is called "Campus Apartments." I asked them if the building is mostly undergrad or grad students and they told me they weren't allowed to share that information. Does anyone have any knowledge of the company, do you know if their buildings tend to be noisy with lots of undergrads or if they're ok? The best the guy could tell me was that they have never had any noise complaints from the building...

A lot of vet students live in their apartments but I'm not sure if they've had issues with noise complaints or anything. It really probably depends on your neighbors as it's a pretty decent sized building. I have heard of some issues with getting repairs done but since they don't really have pet restrictions, a lot of people still go with them.

A lot of vet students live in their apartments but I'm not sure if they've had issues with noise complaints or anything. It really probably depends on your neighbors as it's a pretty decent sized building. I have heard of some issues with getting repairs done but since they don't really have pet restrictions, a lot of people still go with them.
Great to know, thank you!

Campus apartments is kind of a crapshoot. Some people I know are thrilled with their apartments, others are like drowning in noise from undergrad neighbors. You basically just need to see the apartments in person and talk to the people who are currently living there - they'll be able to give you the best info!

I made another post elsewhere, but I'm choosing between Penn and another school right now and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the clinical rotations look like? Like which are the required and what elective ones are available? OR where to find that info. I've tried searching everywhere I could think of, but to be honest, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to alternative search phrases!

So what rotations are required depend on what you declare your major as. However, everyone is required to take LA Medicine, LA ECC and LA Surgery ( I honestly think they should swap Field Service for this since the surgery rotation is like all ortho stuff). On the small animal side of things, everyone has to take Medicine (4 weeks vs 2 weeks for every other rotation) and Soft Tissue. Beyond that, the required rotations are major dependent.

In regards to electives, there are a ton and I honestly don't know all of the ones off the top of my head since I'm only a SA major. I didn't feel like I had to go to another school to get anything because Penn has everything I needed. Externships are fairly easy to schedule and can be done anywhere. You're allowed x amount of credits as externships before having to file extra paperwork to do more for credits, but I've heard it's pretty easy to get it all worked out. You just have to get them approved in 3rd year.

So what rotations are required depend on what you declare your major as. However, everyone is required to take LA Medicine, LA ECC and LA Surgery ( I honestly think they should swap Field Service for this since the surgery rotation is like all ortho stuff). On the small animal side of things, everyone has to take Medicine (4 weeks vs 2 weeks for every other rotation) and Soft Tissue. Beyond that, the required rotations are major dependent.

In regards to electives, there are a ton and I honestly don't know all of the ones off the top of my head since I'm only a SA major. I didn't feel like I had to go to another school to get anything because Penn has everything I needed. Externships are fairly easy to schedule and can be done anywhere. You're allowed x amount of credits as externships before having to file extra paperwork to do more for credits, but I've heard it's pretty easy to get it all worked out. You just have to get them approved in 3rd year.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I appreciate your answering

Does anyone know a ballpark number as to how many people have gotten off the OOS waitlist the past couple of years? I know a couple pages ago someone said it has moved a lot but just was wondering if there was a number they normally reach.

What I've heard as I looked around was maybe 5? Have you gotten your number already? I was gunna wait another week to ask.

Well I know they did NOT get to #5 for c/o 2018, and definitely didn't to all the top 10 last year. Don't know what they actually made it to for either class.

What I've heard as I looked around was maybe 5? Have you gotten your number already? I was gunna wait another week to ask.

The numbers won't be ready for another week or so, I was given a ballpark range haha and looks like I would have to get very lucky for it to break 10!

My friend is at Penn now and said she was 35th on the waitlist when she got in.

Is she 3rd or 4th year or IS by chance?

She's a third year and is OOS. I thought OOS waitlists moved faster anyway.

They do, I just only knew facts about the 1st and 2nd years OOS wait lists so it was possible she was from any list I didn't know about.
I'd like to say it's promising that she was 35, but since they haven't broken top 10 since then, I'm not getting my hopes up. Especially before I find out my number

I just told U PENN I would be going to school elsewhere so that means an OOS spot just opened up! I hope that makes someone on the wait list very happy :)

So I just got my deposit confirmation back. Any ideas on when we're supposed to get our PennKey, etc?

Last edited:
So I just got by deposit confirmation back. Any ideas on when we're supposed to get our PennKey, etc?
Just got my PennKey today! I think I sent all my info in about 2 weeks ago

Just got my PennKey today! I think I sent all my info in about 2 weeks ago

When did you get the original confirmation email saying that your materials had been received? I actually mailed everything off on Feb 19th, but just now got the email about it being processed.

When did you get the original confirmation email saying that your materials had been received? I actually mailed everything off on Feb 19th, but just now got the email about it being processed.
I actually never got a confirmation email that they received my things...:shrug: