UPenn c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an email. My last name starts with K so I doubt it's alphabetical. Also, I'm OOS if that means anything too.
Me too! Haven't gotten anything yet . Last name with an S
Me either and I'm OOS and my last name starts with an S too haha

Members don't see this ad.

I just called and large animal interview day will be on Feb 5th, and invites can be received any time in the next two weeks for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email. My last name starts with K so I doubt it's alphabetical. Also, I'm OOS if that means anything too.

Congrats!! Are you large or small animal?

So apparently I missed the call yesterday, but I just got my acceptance notification from Rob! Looks like I'm probably going to be Penn Vet 2020! UPenn is my top choice, so I'm beyond stoked right now...

Reactions: 11 users
So apparently I missed the call yesterday, but I just got my acceptance notification from Rob! Looks like I'm probably going to be Penn Vet 2020! UPenn is my top choice, so I'm beyond stoked right now...

Congratulations!! Looks like we may be classmates! Did Rob email you? I'm expecting to receive one after my phone call but haven't gotten one yet

Congratulations!! Looks like we may be classmates! Did Rob email you? I'm expecting to receive one after my phone call but haven't gotten one yet

He actually called. They seem pretty insistent on not leaving voicemail or email about acceptances haha. Insanely enough (insane in that I've always been a bit of an academic non-traditional), he wanted to notify me that I've been awarded a recruitment scholarship, which now makes Penn as cheap as my IS for the four year duration of school! Totally surreal, and definitely planning to become a member of the class of 2020!

Last edited:
He also said that they'll be sending letters via snail mail, so maybe there won't be an email?

^ My vote is for @PittPreVet 's idea...red sharpie on the forehead.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha okay. Ill be the brunette girl in that case

Members don't see this ad :)
He actually called. They seem pretty insistent on not leaving voicemail or email about acceptances haha. Insanely enough (insane in that I've always been a bit of an academic non-traditional), he wanted to notify me that I've been awarded a recruitment scholarship, which now makes Penn as cheap as my IS for the four year duration of school! Totally surreal, and definitely planning to become a member of the class of 2020!

Wow, that's amazing. What a great accomplishment! Congratulations!

If Penn were around the cost of my IS, I'd accept in a heartbeat. If I get into my IS, this is going to be a very tough choice.

So excited for all you guys! I remember being in your shoes last year and it was such an insane whirlwind. Come play with us at happy hour!

Hey guys, I have a question...

Reading through the interview feedback, it seems a common question is to the effect of "what will you do if you don't get accepted?" Is it okay to be honest that I would go to the school that did accept me already? And then just tell them why I would 100% pick Penn over the other school? (Which is true).

Reading through the interview feedback, it seems a common question is to the effect of "what will you do if you don't get accepted?" Is it okay to be honest that I would go to the school that did accept me already? And then just tell them why I would 100% pick Penn over the other school? (Which is true).

I think that's the best way to answer that, because in my opinion, you want them to know that they would lose you as a potential student if they did not accept you this year (meaning you wouldn't be reapplying and they could have the chance to accept you next year if they are on the fence now) and that you are passionate enough about being a vet that you want to start right away and go where you have been accepted. Then exactly, its also a chance to give a little "why Penn" plug so yea I would go with that

Haha okay. Ill be the brunette girl in that case
Mine was a bit more obvious because of male to female ratio applicants, haha. Back to red sharpie. I'm meeting with several of my professors to conduct mock interviews, I recommend you all do the same if you can! Really helps.

This question is also trying to find out what your plan is if you're not accepted anywhere (which doesn't fit you since I recall you having acceptances elsewhere) but it's something to keep in mind for other applicants.

The large animal interviews just came in!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Just got one for the 5th! so excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who has received an interview? Anyone else still in the dark like me and still hoping!?

Reactions: 5 users
Don't worry if you didn't hear today! They only sent out the large animal invites and there are still more days for interviews throughout February!

Don't worry if you didn't hear today! They only sent out the large animal invites and there are still more days for interviews throughout February!
If I put mixed interest would I not be considered for LA day?

I am kinda in your boat. I put zoo/wildlife and small. So thats mixed as well.
Hmmmph the struggle lol well maybe they'll send out more invites tomorrow? I know last week they spread the invites over two days or so

Hmmmph the struggle lol well maybe they'll send out more invites tomorrow? I know last week they spread the invites over two days or so
I think someone on here said that they will be having interviews until the last Friday of February so that's the 26th and they send all invites at least 2 weeks prior to the date so I guess we have till the beginning of February to hear... I'm just freaking out.

I know some people heard right away after their interviews, but I'm assuming not everyone does... Does anyone know when the people who don't hear right away will find out?

My friend who interviewed last year (or maybe two years ago) said they get back to you within 2 weeks. Some people find out as early as 3 days later, but it seems like they're still relatively fast regardless. Maybe someone else could confirm or deny this...

I would think LA day is strictly for people who put just equine or Food animal, that is what the title of the email said! Also It sounds like the space on the day is limited which is why I think mixed wouldn't be on this day since the email said no guests so I really wouldn't worry :)

Last edited:
I would think LA day is strictly for people who put just equine or Food animal, that is what the title of the email said! Also It sounds like the space on the day is limited which is why I think mixed wouldn't be on this day since the email said no guests so I really wouldn't worry :)
Just gotta keep hoping and praying over here!

I know some people heard right away after their interviews, but I'm assuming not everyone does... Does anyone know when the people who don't hear right away will find out?
I didn't hear back until Wednesday night after my interview because the person who needed to call me about my acceptance had been out sick. If you haven't heard yet, try not to worry, there could be extenuating circumstances.

And as far as LA day, yes it is reserved for those who feel they are interested strictly in LA. For those that haven't heard yet, there are still interview dates available and no one really knows why Penn offers interviews to some people and not to others. If you are rejected, you can contact them to find out what you need to do to improve your chances next year. They will even help you edit your personal statement. The admissions counsilors are both amazing and they both still know me by name and make sure to check in with me when they see me.

I didn't hear back until Wednesday night after my interview because the person who needed to call me about my acceptance had been out sick. If you haven't heard yet, try not to worry, there could be extenuating circumstances.

And as far as LA day, yes it is reserved for those who feel they are interested strictly in LA. For those that haven't heard yet, there are still interview dates available and no one really knows why Penn offers interviews to some people and not to others. If you are rejected, you can contact them to find out what you need to do to improve your chances next year. They will even help you edit your personal statement. The admissions counsilors are both amazing and they both still know me by name and make sure to check in with me when they see me.
It just sounds like such a good school and the more I hear the more I want to go!

Congrats to everyone who has received an interview? Anyone else still in the dark like me and still hoping!?

I'm still waiting..Anyone know if they are even sending out rejection letters or anything? I haven't heard anything since confirmation of my application package..

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still waiting..Anyone know if they are even sending out rejection letters or anything? I haven't heard anything since confirmation of my application package..

I"m in the same boat.

I put down mixed in my supplemental, my personal statement, and my visit when I spoke with Ms. Herpen, and I still got an earlier, predominantly small-animal-group interview.

Kind of a different tangent from what been being talked about, but does anyone know whether or not there's anywhere we can leave our carry-ons during interviews? I have to make a flight the evening of my interview day, so I have to bring my bag with me.

Kind of a different tangent from what been being talked about, but does anyone know whether or not there's anywhere we can leave our carry-ons during interviews? I have to make a flight the evening of my interview day, so I have to bring my bag with me.
There are coat racks set up near the entrance and I'm sure you can leave you bags there, or you may even be able to take them into the room where you sit and wait to be interviewed. I don't think it will be a problem at all. You may want to contact whomever you received your interview invite from just so they are aware and can make sure there is a safe place for them.

I put down mixed in my supplemental, my personal statement, and my visit when I spoke with Ms. Herpen, and I still got an earlier, predominantly small-animal-group interview.
Well in that case...Are they still holding small animal interviews?

@Jilary @orca2011 @dirtanddog @brightimpressio and any others who currently attend UPenn, is the cost of living estimate provided on the website and at the financial aid seminar even remotely accurate? Everyone seems to be suggesting that living expenses will total to around $35k/year in Philly, which seems like total BS to me (totally possible that I'm too naive on the subject of city living, though). I've been looking at housing and other "living costs" in University City and it really isn't that pricey, especially not compared to my current work location. The basic rundown provided was as follows:

Tuition: $50k
Room/board: ~$20k (what the hell?? I mean, maybe in center city living large, but that seems insane)
Misc. (health insr, groceries, gas, etc.): ~$15k
Grand total = $85k/yr, good god...

I really wouldn't expect to spend much more than about $20k a year outside of tuition. Does that seem reasonable?

Last edited:
@Jilary @orca2011 @dirtanddog @brightimpressio and any others who currently attend UPenn, is the cost of living estimate provided on the website and at the financial aid seminar even remotely accurate? Everyone seems to be suggesting that living expenses will total to around $35k/year in Philly, which seems like total BS to me (totally possible that I'm too naive on the subject of city living, though). I've been looking at housing and other "living costs" in University City and it really isn't that pricey, especially not compared to my current work location. The basic rundown provided was as follows:

Tuition: $50k
Room/board: ~$20k
Misc. (health insr, groceries, gas, etc.): ~$15k
Grand total = $85k/yr, good god...

I really wouldn't expect to spend much more than about $20k a year outside of tuition. Does that seem reasonable?

I took out the full amount first year and haven't since then. (I might this year so I have moneys to live off after I graduate/pay for moving). The reason they estimate COL living high is likely because it's extremely variable. I've sent rent prices from $300 to easily over $1000. That being said, I defintely don't spend $35 k/ year (well maybe this year since I've been here over the summer, but still doubtful). If you want, I can go through my past couple of months spending and kind of give you more realistic spending amounts (don't judge my miscellaneous section...i like to Amazon shop) I've been a bit lenient lately and have probably ordered out more (**coughdrinkingmore** )than I used to.

Normally, I probably spend $1200-1500/month. My current rent is $550 but I've paid $825/month and still never really spent more than the $1700/month