Upenn or Ohio State?? Please offer some guidance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted at Ohio State and Upenn. I am in-state for OSU, and may specialize. Other than cost, does anyone have any insight as to which school may offer me a better dental education? Tough decision here because both of these school are my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
I am instate too, and I got accepted to 4 schools but as what everybody says money is a big factor here. we're not talking about 10K more its 100K more

Members don't see this ad :)
do they both offer the same level of education?

Both are good schools which will produce a competent dentist. The biggest difference is the 100k price tag, which is A LOT of money once you factor in interest and loan repayment plans.

Penn
if you have any thoughts of specializing, Penn is the place to go
I know a lot of people that went to OSU and have had a lot of difficulty despite being in the top of their class

i work for an orthodontist that graduated from Penn who never hesitates to let me know how much she LOVED penn and how i HAD to be a dental student there and so forth.

she did her ortho residency at osu and said it was... ok.

hm, too bad i didnt apply to penn.

anyhoo, good luck in your decision.

I'd pick OSU.

Last edited:
bumping this... have my choices narrowed down to Ohio State and Penn. Both OOS schools for me, no scholarships at either. Would like to specialize, so Penn would be great for that. Also at a Big 10 school for undergrad right now so Penn would be a different experience living in the city, etc. Not sure the cost of Penn is really worth it though... OP what did you decide? Anyone else have thoughts?

bumping this... have my choices narrowed down to Ohio State and Penn. Both OOS schools for me, no scholarships at either. Would like to specialize, so Penn would be great for that. Also at a Big 10 school for undergrad right now so Penn would be a different experience living in the city, etc. Not sure the cost of Penn is really worth it though... OP what did you decide? Anyone else have thoughts?

In-state tuition after 1 year at OSU..saw another SDNer who's getting it his first year because of military experience?? He posted about it in the Pitt vs. Ohio State thread.

I think ~15% of OSU students specialize (don't quote me)...I think it's largely in part because students choose not to..they're burnt out, want to do GP, etc.
OSU has all of the specialty clinics though, so if you want exposure and experience, you can get it:thumbup:

Based on what I've heard, the students are helpful to each other and work collaboratively (i.e. sending out study outlines, notes, etc.)...I've heard the same about the faculty...that they are willing to help and want you to succeed. Not a class full of gunners to compete with if you want to specialize..

And lastly, the PEOPLE. OSU is not just another Big 10 school. It's practically a city in itself and there's this innate sense of community and real spirit here. I absolutely love OSU and am overjoyed to be starting dent school here next year. Oh, and as far as the "living in the city" thing goes, Columbus is awesome. Good food, good shopping, good entertainment.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input on OSU. I have no doubts that OSU students would be helpful and it would be a great atmosphere to go to school at. It was very similar to my undergrad campus that I'm at right now, which I love. The biggest thing still tugging me back to Penn is that I would really like to specialize, and assuming I do well, that would be much easier if I went to Penn. I'm heading back to Penn for a second visit early next week; hopefully that will help me clear this up a little more.

I'm in the same situation right now, anyone have any new advice since this is a few years old? Thanks!

Cheaper state school! I'm kinda in a similar situation. Turned down Columbia for UCLA, a state school.

Well let's just be realistic. 100k difference whether in or out of state..... That is all I would need to know. Sure Penn is cool and has these "amazing" specialization rates, but only on HPSP or in comparison to a private school. Penn's specialization rates are not because of Penn, it's because of the students Penn ends up choosing. Just like harvard, columbia, anything with prestige. They have smart, hardworking students. If you want to specialize enough, you'll make it happen. My case has been made.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump. I've been planning on Penn for the last six months but now just heard from OSU. I am OOS for both. The consensus from the last 7 years seems to be in favor of the Buckeyes. What say you people?

Bump. I've been planning on Penn for the last six months but now just heard from OSU. I am OOS for both. The consensus from the last 7 years seems to be in favor of the Buckeyes. What say you people?

Do they offer IS after a year? If not the price is about the same