UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=360892VetrnWalla- I was interviewed on Monday 4/18 and given a decision the following Tuesday 4/26. According to the program staff, they meet at the beginning of every week to deliberate about prospective candidates. Most people hear the following week, but it won't ever exceed 2 weeks.

i was interviewed then too. which one were you? i'm the guy from san diego

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all that were accepted!

If you accept a linkage to a medschool through Penn are you contractually binded to go to that school or can you still apply and accept offers from other medschools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I interviewed this past Monday the 25th for Core.

Thanks for the replies.

I got into the Core Studies program last week as well! I'll most likely be attending this Fall.

Do any current students recommend using UPenn housing? I'm just graduating out of my Undergrad and I'm kind of "over" dorm living...

In my two years in and around the program, I know 1 person who lived in the Upenn housing, and moved out their 2nd year....

I wouldn't recommend it

I interviewed on the 25th too.. I'm the one from CA. I'm still waiting to hear from others and am considering this a last option. The interview was just kind of based around her being surprised I didn't get any interviews for medical school. Hoping to hear soon..

I was planning on applying to the Core Program
I did poorly in Chemistry
Would the Penn program allow me to retake Chemistry?
I still need to take Bio and Orgo as well

Yes staticdancer - you could re-take chem. You won't be eligible for any of the linkages tho

Just received the acceptance, good luck to those interviewing today!

Hey VetrnWalla - I was accepted too. I was one of the last 4 in the room that Monday lol. Congrats!

Hey VetrnWalla - I was accepted too. I was one of the last 4 in the room that Monday lol. Congrats!

I ended up being one of the last two, I'm the one who currently works at another city hospital atm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone !

I am starting the program on May 23rd and I was wondering if we could start a facebook group or something so we can get to know each other a bit before everything starts ! Who else is starting this summer? Let me know !

Hi everyone !

I am starting the program on May 23rd and I was wondering if we could start a facebook group or something so we can get to know each other a bit before everything starts ! Who else is starting this summer? Let me know !

me too! start up a fb page.. are you SS or CS?

Are there any previous or current students of UPenn who are free to talk about their experience? I am in the SS track and would appreciate some advice. respond here or PM me ! thanks alot.

Are there any previous or current students of UPenn who are free to talk about their experience? I am in the SS track and would appreciate some advice. respond here or PM me ! thanks alot.
Yup I am a alumni

And there are a ton of FB groups for Penn Post-bac. Not specific to this year because you won't get many joiners but there is a multi-year one

Hey guys, due to a request from one of the sdn poster, I decided to ask for some advices here instead.
I have done many researches online and found some interview questions at Upenn. I'm still nervous even with all these resources.
I just thought I might ask for a word of advice from someone who has completed the interview.
**feel free to PM me
Thanks!

Hey guys, due to a request from one of the sdn poster, I decided to ask for some advices here instead.
I have done many researches online and found some interview questions at Upenn. I'm still nervous even with all these resources.
I just thought I might ask for a word of advice from someone who has completed the interview.
**feel free to PM me
Thanks!

I interviewed on the 25th and was super nervous about it too. However, it was very laid back and a short interview. We started with a tour of the campus... which wasn't so much a tour as it was following a current student on a 45 minute hike (I was in heels and a suit.. not ideal for the heat or humidity or a hike!). Then you sit in a conference room and wait to be called with everyone else. Everyone I interviewed with was very friendly and we all talked about our academic plans and where we applied, etc. The questions asked were very open ended like "Tell me about yourself..." and not so much about health care or hot topics like abortion or stem cell research.

I got my acceptance to the program last week but was accepted to Tufts today, so I'll probably be going there. But good luck! :] PM me if you have any other questions.

**feel free to PM me
Thanks!
The interview is very low key as someone mentioned. Don't sweat it.

Its a million times easier than medical school interviews.

They just ask you generic questions, nothing too testy.

hey, has anyone enrolled in the program picked classes for the fall yet? or did you get a later-this-month appointment for advising like me?

me too! start up a fb page.. are you SS or CS?
I'm CS ! Are you going to be at orientation on the 17th? I'm graduating on the 14th in Cleveland so hopefully I can make it on time...

Hey road runner! Dr. P is still around and awesome as usual.
Can I ask you a few questions? It seems to be tough to tell if people from this program actually get into medical school. We are all wondering who these people are, who actually get in! I've been doing quite well in the program so far, mostly A's (with a B+ in physics), but I still have a lot of anxiety about the quality of the program.
Do you know people who attended the post bacc who recently got into med school? Where are you in med school?
thanks.

I'm a M2 and more or less in the top half, maybe third, of my class from my own estimation. Busy but life's good.

Tons of people I know from my Penn days are in med school now or will be. Even the other track (the non-trad folks who didn't take the prereqs) have been getting in last year and this past year based on what I've seen on facebook.

As far as I can remember with a lot of folks, some decided to do something else with their life instead, or go to dental school or something. There are a few kids who didn't do as well in the program and are doing SMPs or other similar programs. Hopefully things work out for them. But for the most part, the majority of my friends in the program got into med school.

Basically, if you get lots of A's in the program and have bumped up your GPAs beyond at least a 3.4, it's going to help you a lot in the long run especially if you have a great MCAT. It's not really the program itself that will get you in, it's doing well in the program that will, and that's 95% dependent on you.

I'm a M2 and more or less in the top half, maybe third, of my class from my own estimation. Busy but life's good.

Tons of people I know from my Penn days are in med school now or will be. Even the other track (the non-trad folks who didn't take the prereqs) have been getting in last year and this past year based on what I've seen on facebook.

As far as I can remember with a lot of folks, some decided to do something else with their life instead, or go to dental school or something. There are a few kids who didn't do as well in the program and are doing SMPs or other similar programs. Hopefully things work out for them. But for the most part, the majority of my friends in the program got into med school.

Basically, if you get lots of A's in the program and have bumped up your GPAs beyond at least a 3.4, it's going to help you a lot in the long run especially if you have a great MCAT. It's not really the program itself that will get you in, it's doing well in the program that will, and that's 95% dependent on you.

Were you a CS or SS?

+1 to that

If you can't break a cGPA of 3.4, then SS might not be a good fit

thanks vetrnwalla

Is anyone having any luck with housing? Seems like the big companies (ie University City Housing) are crooks and that craigslist is the best bet for finding a good place. Just not sure if it is better to try to get to as close to campus/HUP as possible or get within a mile or two and plan on hiking it to class and/or using the bus...

Is anyone having any luck with housing? Seems like the big companies (ie University City Housing) are crooks and that craigslist is the best bet for finding a good place. Just not sure if it is better to try to get to as close to campus/HUP as possible or get within a mile or two and plan on hiking it to class and/or using the bus...
I used Campus Apartments and have had a pretty good experience.

The closer you get to campus, the higher the $$ gets. I live a little way from campus but I catch the #42 bus which runs along spruce, right a chunk of campus then loops around the hospitals, to catch the eastern bit of campus before heading to CC. So thats pretty key. My walk is about 1.2-1.5mi, through nice neighbourhoods.

The further west you get, it gets sketchy but they have penn security people on everyone corner on the main streets out until like 45-46 so thats good too.

thanks vetrnwalla

I'm living in a condo on Pine Street for a really good price...I think there are other units available...are you starting the 23rd?

thanks robflanker.

axl196- i'm in SS so i'm not heading to campus until the fall

So i'll respond to elpenasleep's rant (which by the way he/she posted in 3 threads, and dragged up threads from 2004 to bring up....)

It screams of lack of research on his/her part. If you have been reading this thread then you know a lot of the short comings of the program. I and others have been pretty frank and open about them (for example, advising sucks).

But I want to dispell some of the misguided rants from someone who clearly didn't do well in the program and blames the program:
1) Class size varies massively. The pre-reqs are around 80, but some of the SSP classes are much smaller. 2 of my SSP classes had less than 10 students, and two had less than 20. So not sure what the beef on class size there was...
2) Its absolutely not hard to take a full course load as a SSP student. I managed it for 2 semesters and didnt have to settle for a single class i didnt really want to take. I took all the classes i wanted too and was very happy with my class selection.
3) The program can definitely be complicated in one year. Its pricey as the summer classes are more expensive and you'll be busier than hell during the semester but it can be done. I know at least a dozen people who did it.
4) Advising sucks - ive said it before. However, the career services stuff is just wrong - they handle all the letters of req and stuff from the school. I've no idea what that particular jab is talking about.
5) I've already dealt with the class size stuff, but they aren't overcrowded by any means either. I got two letters of recs from my professors - if you dont talk to them, how r they supposed to know who you are? elpenasleep just wants everything handed to them
6) Elpenasleep refers to "loopholes" - they don't allow you to be dual enrolled in two different schools. This isnt any different than any other program. So, not sure what they were expecting on this one.

I'm certainly don't have "home-town" bias with this program. It has its limitations, its expensive and advising sucks.
Its all about expectations - sounds like elpenasleep didnt have the right expectations and didnt do any research before enrolling. They subsequently did badly, and blamed it on the program. The lack of maturity to stand up and say "its my own fault" is pretty damning.

Please PM me any questions or I'm happy to debate/clear things up for you guys here.

@robflanker - thanks for that rebuttal and information.

Also, I have a question for you...

How many classes did you average per semester? I'm trying to weigh work / class / what will look alright to possible schools when I apply?

To expand a bit, I didn't go for Drexel because of the part time aspect, I was worried that I wouldn't show enough by only taking two courses per semester etc. Yet, I'm looking at only taking two at Penn as of this moment...

So, in short I was wondering what the average # of classes CS/SSP students take/took?

Thanks.

So, in short I was wondering what the average # of classes CS/SSP students take/took?
Np

Depends on the work situation to be honest. I took 4 classes (4.5 CUs) per semester but I wasn't working or volunteering etc. I did get a job midway thru my second semester and one of my classes was the Clinical Research in EM class.

If you are core and planning on doing it in 1 yr, obviously you have your schedule pretty much set. If you aren't then you can spread it around a little. There are some interesting upper-levels one can take, or you can volunteer (tons of opportunities, and even a formalized program at HUP).

Really does vary - some people worked full-time and took two classes (they were crazy busy), whereas others had part-time jobs.

As long as you can justify the number of classes with whatelse you have going on in life then it shouldnt be a problem

I have a question for Rob:

I am starting the CS program on the 23rd to do it in one year. I heard that they review your undergrad grades for linkage at the beginning of the program...I have a 3.95 GPA and over a 1000 hours of volunteering and shadowing, I also got a research position for the summer and upcoming year...does that make me a potential candidate? I'm really just curious. Also, do they contact you about it or do you have to show interest? You just seem to know a lot about all of this and I got vague answers at my interview. Thanks for your help !

axl196 - sounds like you are a candidate thus far. They do review your grades but yours are fine. You have to show interest in the linkages to initiate the process

Hey everyone!

I was wondering how big the CS and SS programs are. About how many students are accepted into the programs?

Also, about how many make it into medical school in the following years?

I know the second question is a bit more complex since there may be students who just decide to not go through with the medical school process. I guess a better way to ask (even though it's still very general and maybe without a straightforward answer) is "what percent of postbac students make it into med school"?

Thanks for your replies.

No published numbers on the size of the post-bac program. My guess is a couple of hundred. Maybe 200-300 between the two programs.

Its not very competitive.

I would say about 30-50% make it to US MD schools - and another 20-30% go DO or Carib

hey wahwah,

an information brochure i have states:
CS has 50-70 students with 95% accepted
SS has 60-75 students with 85% accepted

that said, the % accepted stats take into account those students who are accepted in ALL types of health schools like nursing, dental, and other health profession programs. it also factors in students who wind up in DO schools...so no telling the percentage for MD, but i'm sure its much lower than those projected like robflanker said

Then Penn numbers are complete horsecrap

Its all dependent on self-response. They email you at the end of the year and ask you to email back and say where you are going.
I can't imagine a lot of people write back and say "nowhere".

Their numbers are definitely bogus

thanks for the responses, rob and providence. appreciated.

hi everyone! I am starting classes on monday for the basic core (chemistry). however, I missed the orientation because of long distance. just wondering if anyone received any information pertinent to the first day of classes/anything important. my advisor said that she would send me a powerpoint, but I never got it. any input is appreciated.

thanks! can't wait to meet everyone...

I wouldnt worry about the orientation too much - it was a waste of time when I went a couple of years ago. Doubt it has gotten any better.

In terms of getting a copy of the powerpoint, whenever you have to deal with administration - you have to email like a million times so keep hounding your advisor. Also try contacting Sally Cardy.

hi everyone! I am starting classes on monday for the basic core (chemistry). however, I missed the orientation because of long distance. just wondering if anyone received any information pertinent to the first day of classes/anything important. my advisor said that she would send me a powerpoint, but I never got it. any input is appreciated.

thanks! can't wait to meet everyone...

Im going to be starting classes on monday too. Do you want the ppt? I can forward it to you.

Hey guys, I just got into UPenn special science program. I have a few questions.
I searched online and it seems that classes will be held during evening time. However, I like having classes in the morning then research lab at afternoon and study until I go to bed. So my questions are:
1. Are there any post-bac classes that are held during morning or afternoon?
2. If I decide to pay more to take classes with undergrad, would the class be more competitive?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I just got into UPenn special science program. I have a few questions.
I searched online and it seems that classes will be held during evening time. However, I like having classes in the morning then research lab at afternoon and study until I go to bed. So my questions are:
1. Are there any post-bac classes that are held during morning or afternoon?
2. If I decide to pay more to take classes with undergrad, would the class be more competitive?

Thanks!
1) No

2) Yes, and its like double the price - literally. So your semester costs go from $10k a semester as a full-time regular SSP student to $20k per semester.