UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So there may have been SMPers who linked to drexel or pitt. I am also not sure how many apply for the penn/jeff linkage, although I know for a fact some people did not get conditionally accepted to penn after applying.
Congrats on the jeff link! Great job

By SMPers - do you mean Special Science Program? If so, our only link options were to RWJ and PCOM i believe

Core Science had much much more - Jeff, Drexel, Pitt, Penn, one of the NY schools i believe, RWJ, PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt worry about the orientation too much - it was a waste of time when I went a couple of years ago. Doubt it has gotten any better.

In terms of getting a copy of the powerpoint, whenever you have to deal with administration - you have to email like a million times so keep hounding your advisor. Also try contacting Sally Cardy.

Do you know the duration of this post bac program? Is it a year or a two year program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a core student or a SSP?

But to be honest, its whatever you want it to be.

Can anyone please report their success of getting into medical school through the special science post bac program?

Hey everyone. I'm graduating undergrad in 2012 and am interested in the core studies program. On the website for eligibility it says:

"Successful applicants to this highly selective program generally have earned a bachelor's degree at least one year prior to applying, possess an excellent academic record, and have demonstrated ability in standardized testing. They typically have a clear understanding of the challenges awaiting them in their chosen health care field, gained through substantial (usually a year) volunteer work or employment in a related field."

I have two questions. First, does anyone know if it's necessary to have a year long gap between getting your degree and applying to the program? Second, any ideas as to how selective the program actually is? I get extremely mixed info from stalking forums on this site haha.

My gpa's currently about a 3.4 and I had a 1430 on my SAT. I'm just trying to figure out how much of a shot I have at getting into post-bacs, namely Penn, Columbia, and Temple.

Thanks for any responses ;)

I just got accepted to Penn's Core program and will most likely be attending in the fall (also got into Tufts, Penn State, Wash U...choosing Penn for location).

Rob (and others), has anybody had a positive experience at Penn? Would you consider your experience positive? I'm not too worried about disorganized advising since undergrad was like that. Sometimes it just takes several calls and emails to get things done. How's the quality of teaching? Do postbacs form study groups? Any info would be appreciated.

And, anybody else going Fall 2011?

Rob (and others), has anybody had a positive experience at Penn? Would you consider your experience positive?
I think the ultimate determinator of that is getting into medical school - which worked for me. But it also depends what you come in with, if you had a 3.1 and a 26 MCAT, nothing Penn can do is going to get you into Hopkins Medical school so its all about expectations.

I'm not too worried about disorganized advising since undergrad was like that. Sometimes it just takes several calls and emails to get things done.
Same with me, which is also why it didnt bother me. Too much hand holding goes on in undergrad these days IMO

How's the quality of teaching? Do postbacs form study groups? Any info would be appreciated.
Hit or miss for teaching - some great teachers (Immuno), and some less good ones (Parisi)
Yup people form study groups too

I believe the last poster has had a very different experience than I did in the Penn Special Science program. I came in with a 3.0 undergrad GPA and many years of science related work experience(returning student). After 9 classes with mostly A's, I was accepted to the med school of my choice and offered interviews nearly everywhere I applied. The program is especially well respected with the Philly area Med and Dental schools. True, the basic sciences (physics, bio, chem etc.) may be impersonal. What are these 101 classes like at any big school? In the Special Science program, you can take remarkable neuro classes, a class on research in Emergency Medicine which puts you in the HUP ER 12 hours a week as well as interesting upper level BBB and Bio classes. There is not much in the way of direct MCAT prep. Do it on your own or take Kaplan or Princeton. There is help with the app. process and essay writing etc. I never took advantage of these services. In the SS program, I felt like I was part of a community of students who all had similar goals but were not at each others throats. Also, I don't want to sound like one of those people, but lets face it when people see Penn, they immediately think of a higher cadre of students than some other schools.(NO BS, this was my direct experience with admissions committees.) As you will find out almost all med schools asign higer wait(there is actually a point value) to a high GPA from a top tear school than to less competetive schools. PS thats not how I think, I know other programs are probably just as if not more difficult. I will say I was impressed with the intellegence of most of the post bac students. There is noone admitted that is not smart enough to go to med school. It becomes about drive after that. Remember your goal in any of these programs is to get all A's. And... they are not going to just give them to you. PS there is a lot of great stuff that your Penn ID will get you into and Philly is a great town. Sorry for any typos, I'm getting used to this Mac keyboard.

Hi!
I was wondering what ur stats were prior to upenn post bacc and what school you did your undergrad at, if u dont mind?? How well did you do in the program, gpa wise?

anyone in the program have experience with working (at penn, hup) to cover cost of tuition? does penn offer any programs for that aside from work study?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the UPenn campus safe to walk around during the evening/night? I live in the city and will be taking the subway to get to evening classes. I own a car too though. I'm trying to decide if it's a good idea to drive or not bc i've heard West Philly has high crime rate. Advice?
Campus is fine to walk around at night.

Driving is a PIA as the meters are limited to 2 hours - thus classes longer than that are a challenge

Right, I dont think post-bacs can get WS

Tho there are plenty of area jobs

I was curious about this last year and no one had stats, so here you are for this year:

3 people were accepted into the Penn linkage - all 3 made the gpa/mcat requirements

4 people were accepted into the Jefferson linkage - 1 person made the gpa/mcat requirements.

I do not know about the other schools, but no one else in my class was linking (I was in basic sciences). So there may have been SMPers who linked to drexel or pitt. I am also not sure how many apply for the penn/jeff linkage, although I know for a fact some people did not get conditionally accepted to penn after applying.

I am the one going to jeff - I highly recommend trying to link. Stay motivated and don't get behind.

HEY EMT!

You mentioned that you know for a fact that people applied to upenn for link but didn't get the conditional acceptance. Are you positive? I thought it was 3/3 this year. How many people do you think initially applied?

They limit who applies to those who have a good chance of linking; probably hence the 3/3

I would imagine 10+ expressed interest but were not allowed to pursue the linkage for various reasons

Average enrollee at med school has a 3.65 cGPA (100% true) and a 3.5ish (trying to remember off the top of my head, ballpark number) sGPA.

Provided you came in with a decent GPA, a 3.5 at Penn in all science classes would put u in standing with the right cGPA and a high sGPA

Is this only for core studies students? A year at penn as a specialized studies student wouldn't do much for your science gpa but it would still look good in your transcript overall, no?? I'm debating whether to retake a prereq course through upenn and whether it is worth it.

Is this only for core studies students? A year at penn as a specialized studies student wouldn't do much for your science gpa but it would still look good in your transcript overall, no?? I'm debating whether to retake a prereq course through upenn and whether it is worth it.
what are you talking about?

A year of upper level science wouldnt impact one's sGPA much provided if you were a science major

im confused as to what you are asking

what are you talking about?

A year of upper level science wouldnt impact one's sGPA much provided if you were a science major

im confused as to what you are asking

Sorry I was under the impression that as long as there are As for classes you decide to retake at UPenn then AdComs would consider your application...that's insane considering the number of applications they receive and also I crunched the numbers with a year's worth of 8 CUs at UPenn (all As) raises my gpa by .28

Adcoms will consider your application if you get As and dont fall below their auto cutoffs for GPA or MCAT

0.28 is enormous, are you sure you calculated it right? Make sure you are following the AMCAS system - not grade replacement

Adcoms will consider your application if you get As and dont fall below their auto cutoffs for GPA or MCAT

0.28 is enormous, are you sure you calculated it right? Make sure you are following the AMCAS system - not grade replacement

Is this the one? I was originally using the excel that upenn used (specialized science student/ science major) but realized its the same one...
AMCAS Grade Conversion Guide - Services for Students, Applicants, and Residents - Students

Is this the one? I was originally using the excel that upenn used (specialized science student/ science major) but realized its the same one...
AMCAS Grade Conversion Guide - Services for Students, Applicants, and Residents - Students
Yes, thats the right one.

But a 0.28 from one year of classes? and you were a science major? Something is wrong. Is your sGPA or cGPA changing 0.28?
My GPA changed about 0.1 for a whole year of classes (I did well before you ask) and I had very few credits coming in.

Yes, thats the right one.

But a 0.28 from one year of classes? and you were a science major? Something is wrong. Is your sGPA or cGPA changing 0.28?
My GPA changed about 0.1 for a whole year of classes (I did well before you ask) and I had very few credits coming in.

sGPA not exclusive to the core classes but all my biology classes taken in the past. But I'm going to do a new spread sheet with amcas calculation guidelines. Which conversion chart did your school used? Maybe that's it?? My undergraduate school used +/- grading system.

A/A+ = 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B=3.....and so on

sGPA is BCPM - all physics, chem, bio, math courses

CHANGING TOPICS...to previous upenn lps students: where do you guys recommend to live? center city? university city? any thoughts about sylvania gardens section??

General UC grid - East the river, West 48th, South Baltimore, North Market
CC is fine but pricey
S. Philly - dunno none of my friends lived there
Rittenhouse - fine and pricey

There are some nice places just north of 676 which are fine in terms of safety, but I wouldn't go more than 6-8 blocks north of Spring garden. And forget anything near Temple IMO

Maxi2011,

Get looking on an apartment ASAP. People start securing places for the following school year starting as early as February...which is probably when most of the good places are taken.

As for Sylvania gardens, I'd keep looking. It's not that bad, but if that's your price range, you can likely find something for the same price with a better location.

I'd say don't go beyond 45th. Yes, there is a big Penn security presence and a shuttle, but it gets to be a pain if you plan on going out or just don't want to walk home alone with your laptop at night.

I live in Rittenhouse, which is great, but as Rob said, is way overpriced. Hop right on the bus and the campus is 5-10 minutes away depending on the time of day. As convenient as this is though, I'm still lazy and nothing would be better than having a place a block or two from campus.

If you want more details, feel free to PM me. The housing search sucked for me (hence why my parents gave in and sprung for a nice place) so I'd be happy to help.

I'd say don't go beyond 45th. Yes, there is a big Penn security presence and a shuttle, but it gets to be a pain if you plan on going out or just don't want to walk home alone with your laptop at night.
I lived at 47th for 2 years - its fine there too. Tons of students, and tons of people at CHOP/HUP live in that area. There are so really nice houses in the 45-48 between pine and baltimore so I know docs that live there.

Hey everyone,

I received my acceptance notification on Dec. 21st to start the core studies in May. I'm looking forward to getting started!

First, are there any fellow Summer 2012 students who would like to get in touch and discuss housing plans, etc.? I live in California but I'll be coming out to visit in mid-February and moving in the beginning of May. Having some partners-in-crime would definitely ease the transition!

Second, for current or previous CS students- how much calculus preparation would you recommend? I graduated summa cum laude but math is definitely my weakness and I don't remember calculus at all.

Thanks for all the help from everyone's posts!

Second, for current or previous CS students- how much calculus preparation would you recommend? I graduated summa cum laude but math is definitely my weakness and I don't remember calculus at all.
Firstly congrats on your acceptance.

Some med schools require a semester of calc so i hope you have that at the college level.

Since when does what honor you graduated with have anything to do with one's abilities to do calc? I could have had a 4.0 as an arts major and that gives you no indication to math abilities. Anyways - you need some calc but its pretty basic and they'll re-teach it you to some degree at penn.

I also received my acceptance letter for Summer 2012! I would love to find a roommate too. I'm visiting January 6 to tour the campus and city. Do you have any idea where you want to live? I know little about Philly, but there is some useful information about good areas further up on this page!

Hey guys,

Just some quick questions about the Penn Core Studies Post Bac program.

How selective is this program? I'm a senior at an elite (top 15) university with an (unfortunate) GPA of 3.01, although there is an upward trend. My SAT is 2270. What are my chances of getting in?

Will I generally be taking classes with fellow post-bacs or with undergraduates, or a mix? Is there a sense of community among post-bac students?

For those who have completed/are enrolled in the program, what are your opinions/thoughts on the quality of the program?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Just some quick questions about the Penn Core Studies Post Bac program.

How selective is this program? I'm a senior at an elite (top 15) university with an (unfortunate) GPA of 3.01, although there is an upward trend. My SAT is 2270. What are my chances of getting in?

Will I generally be taking classes with fellow post-bacs or with undergraduates, or a mix? Is there a sense of community among post-bac students?

For those who have completed/are enrolled in the program, what are your opinions/thoughts on the quality of the program?

Thanks.
Read.at.least.some.of.the.thread. - all your points are discussed in depth

You will have a shot at an acceptance - people got rejected with better and more balanced stats than yours, but you should at least get an interview

Caesar,

Core is more selective than specialized, primarily because they need to be convinced you can handle the workload and survive the weed out nature of the classes. Your SAT is definitively impressive, but your GPA is probably lower than what they are looking for. If you get an interview, be prepared to provide a good explanation as to why it isn't higher and what you've done thus far to prove you can handle the intensive structure of the core program.

If you are in Core, you will be taking classes with post bacs only. The exceptions to this are specialized students who can have undergrads in their classes like immuno and BBB courses, and masters students in courses like advanced cell and cancer cell bio. While you can take undergrad classes during the day (for an increased fee of course) I think this is also more geared toward specialized. The post bac core classes are structured slightly differently from undergrad. For example, general bio is based on the biology you need to master for the mcat and has no focus on plants and other less relevant topics covered in most undergraduate bio courses. Example #2- in the undergrad school you take orgo 1 one semester then orgo 2 then orgo lab which is totally separate but covers 1&2. In the post bac, the course and lab run concurrently …so you will take orgo 1 and orgo 1 lab then orgo 2 and orgo 2 lab.

With respect to quality- I think the program is great. If you get in, do well, and score high on your MCAT, you will be all set…though this program alone is not going to get you in. The onus is on you but you can definitely use the program to your advantage if you make the most of it. As far as more specific stuff:
-Classes- The class selection is pretty limited..but this shouldn't be an issue for you if you are in core. I have heard good things about many of the core professors, but as expected, that doesn't mean the classes won't be really tough. If you finish the core and stick around, there are some really awesome professors (cancro, lexow, zach) who teach upper level courses that you can take advantage of.
-Opportunity- Being part of the post bac will definitely open up doors for more involvement and health related experience to help build your app. Unlike other post bacs in more isolated locations, you will likely have a much better shot getting a research or hospital job because of the size of the penn health system.

All that being said, you should still look at a bunch of the other post bacs like Bryn Mawr. Unlike many of us who already have completed the prereqs for med school, those who go the core route have an upper hand when it comes to linking. Many post bacs have some pretty sweet linkages (acceptance for stats like a 30 MCAT and 3.0 GPA...which otherwise would need to be a 30 and 3.6) whereas links within the penn post bac are difficult. I'm guessing the caliber of classes and expectations will be higher at Penn as well, so keep that in mind.

I'd be happy to answer anything else. Goodluck!

Last edited:
Sooo, I know this isnt a specific 2012 thread but who here is applying for Fall 2012???

is preference given to NJ residents if we're trying to link to the robert wood johnson SOM?

when is the best time to take the MCAT if we're interested in linking without a gap year?

this looks like a decent alternative to temple's ACMS. :oops:)

is preference given to NJ residents if we're trying to link to the robert wood johnson SOM?
Not explicitly but probably a bit

when is the best time to take the MCAT if we're interested in linking without a gap year?
No solid answer to this; I took it in the summer before beginning the program. Some take it after. If you are linking there are pretty strict deadlines on when you have to have the MCAT done by so that will dictate things

is anyone aware of specialized studies students being accepted to penn med (obviously not through linkage)? I have a poor undergrad g.p.a. (3.2) from penn but have not taken the mcat yet. i'm actually finishing my other med school pre-reqs at another school with A's so far due to my military service obligation. i'm just weighing my options because i decided on med school late and would really like to attend penn for med school. can anyone offer me their thoughts? or should i just resign myself to the fact that i have almost no chance of making it into penn after my undergrad performance...

is anyone aware of specialized studies students being accepted to penn med (obviously not through linkage)? I have a poor undergrad g.p.a. (3.2) from penn but have not taken the mcat yet. i'm actually finishing my other med school pre-reqs at another school with A's so far due to my military service obligation. i'm just weighing my options because i decided on med school late and would really like to attend penn for med school. can anyone offer me their thoughts? or should i just resign myself to the fact that i have almost no chance of making it into penn after my undergrad performance...
Zero chance

SSP is not a backdoor into UPenn Med (one of the top schools in the country) if you have a poor undergrad performance.

A 3.2 cGPA will prob not get you into any US MD school (maybe one or two if there are some other ridic EC or high MCAT) but certainly not penn.

It's likely that you won't get into Penn Med taylorh, considering how rigorous med school apps are these days, BUT coming from a school like Penn, admissions committees will certainly take notice of your GPA and realize your classes must have been difficult. I am in a similar position right now.

Don't listen to SDNers who think that anything below a 3.5 won't get you into medical school. Nail the MCAT and you will have a shot. There are lots of factors at hand and coming from Penn is one of them. You will certainly have to apply broadly though, and consider the state school in your home state as a big option.

It's likely that you won't get into Penn Med taylorh, considering how rigorous med school apps are these days, BUT coming from a school like Penn, admissions committees will certainly take notice of your GPA and realize your classes must have been difficult. I am in a similar position right now.

Don't listen to SDNers who think that anything below a 3.5 won't get you into medical school. Nail the MCAT and you will have a shot. There are lots of factors at hand and coming from Penn is one of them. You will certainly have to apply broadly though, and consider the state school in your home state as a big option.

Ugrad school matters very little in acceptance to medical school - there argument of "a B at UPenn is the same as an A at ??? State Univ" - is just not valid or true.

Just got my invitation to interview at UPenn a few days ago. Anyone going to the March 12 interview? I will be out of the country...trying to make alternate arrangements.

Just got my invitation to interview at UPenn a few days ago. Anyone going to the March 12 interview? I will be out of the country...trying to make alternate arrangements.

Penn does phone interviews too I think. Something to consider if another date can't be scheduled.

Msdeezee are you interviewing for special science or the core studies program?? Still waiting on one more Rec letter to be considered for special science myself.

App complete for Special Sciences, now my favorite part - the waiting!

I appreciate the different perspectives received so far. Being that my upgrade gpa is less than ideal, besides getting a's in o chem which I am finishing now, and scoring high on the mcat... is there anything that you might recommend I do in order to improve my chances of being accepted at penn or other good schools? Perhaps, an SMP or another similar program? Thank you again for your opinions!