UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean since its almost August and they said there are still seats left for Fall, you will probably get an interview sometime next week with an acceptance the week after you go in. Just assuming since you need some time to get your PennKey and register for classes. btw at this late in the game lots of classes are closed, so you may get stuck with some of the tougher/less interesting ones. I was accepted after normal registration for undergrads and I didn't get a very good pick either.

I got an interview about 2 weeks after submitting and then an acceptance the next Monday. I will be attending SSP in the Fall so keep the thread updated if you will be going too!

Members don't see this ad.

Just briefly glanced over the last page or two. I'm an alumni of this post-bac program when it used to be called the Special Sciences program- finished all my coursework in 2008 and applied in the 2008-09 cycle. I know that my advisor is long gone (Grace Hershman) and that they have new people running the show. That being said, having gone through the application process and also knowing a bit more about what my medical school does in terms of admissions, I'm going to say a few things about whatever the Special Sciences program is called now (not the career-changing one).

1) Linkages are helpful but not essential. As has been noted before, there are quite a few qualifying criteria to be eligible. Don't come to this program just because of the linkage. The same things that qualify you for linking are usually the same things that make you a more successful applicant (MCAT and GPA cutoff for instance). Come here because you've decided that this program is the best opportunity to get your GPA up, have a strong basis for your MCAT and pick up recommendation letters. If you happen to qualify for a linkage, that makes the whole process easier, but don't bank solely on it. Even the Pre-Health folks (the ones who were actual career changers and taking the pre-requisites) had a comparatively hard time linking.. it doesn't really make things easier- it makes things quicker, but only if you're qualified.

2) Regardless of who the advisor is, you need to do your homework and be proactive regarding the application process. They're there to help you to choose courses, put together a committee letter for your application, and give you information about application deadlines and the such. The administration had been helpful a lot of the time but there were other times where they were not. You know yourself the best- be realistic but not pessimistic, and always get second opinions from current medical students or from SDN. In the end, you get out what you put in. Talk to admissions directors on your own too- thats how I found out about the next point:

3) I should add that if you are a Michigan resident, you should check in with Wayne State SOM to see if they still have their policy of counting only post-bac cGPA/sGPA when evaluating your application. It's the biggest reason why I decided to do a post-bac instead of a SMP. It worked out even though I did not end up attending- WSU was my first interview and I had my acceptance in hand on October 15, the first day they are sent out. So it's worth checking to see if they still do it.

4) If they still do the Clinical Research in Emergency Medicine class with Dr. Judd Hollander, it's worth doing for at least one semester. Actually was a nice break from studying since you could do shifts in the morning/afternoon, and you get to be in a clinical setting. And Dr. Hollander must have written me a decent letter of recommendation, since I got in, so it's worth doing it for that.

5) Working during the day is not a problem at all if the vast majority of classes are still at night. Work in a research lab, be a barista, work as a food vendor on Spruce Street, whatever gets the bills paid. But make sure you prioritize classes first. That's why you're doing this program to begin with.

6) And now, the never-ending debate of SMP vs post-bac. It's tricky. I had a 3.4/3.4 or something like that when I finished the post-bac program. That's still well below the average accepted GPA. I had a good MCAT score and an organized application which I thought helped a lot.. but I really think it was the track record of a full year of A's that helped the most. I certainly don't regret doing the post-bac because Philadelphia is a fantastic city, I made friends with a lot of great people and I ended up with multiple interviews and acceptances. I really don't think it would have worked out better doing a SMP. Once you get into medical school, that master's degree isn't really all that useful. It comes back to the GPA number. All schools recognize and understand what undergraduate GPAs mean, but I think the SMPs are trickier and probably really understood only by those schools with direct knowledge/experience of SMPs and their graduates. I'd suggest that if you can't get both of your GPA indicators above or around 3.4 by the time you apply, I'd go with a SMP. I remember seeing some regression curves from the AAMC or something like that where the distribution of GPAs of accepted students started dropping below 3.5, and it made a big drop around 3.35 or something. If you're interested, I would look for some more specific data on that. It might even be in the MSAR. Do your homework, be smart and you'll do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but is anyone still looking for a roommate? I only have an interview on Monday (7/30), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I think if accepted, I'm going to try and stay kind of close to Penn even though it's pretty crazy how much some places are asking for rent. Left Bank looked pretty cool.

Yeah, also by now most singles and studios around campus are gone. I got my place settled in early June and even then I had a lot of trouble, there were only a few rooms left. There's always center city if you don't mind a bit of a commute, you'd pay basically the same amount there as you would for a place right around Penn's campus.

Contact Campus Apartments and see what they have. I used them when I lived in Philly without any major troubles.

Hi! Just a quick question: How were people notified about interviews? I am in a similar situation to OliverP in that the deadline extension email I received motivated me to finish my application. I submitted my portion 7/20, but it took until 7/26 for my last recommender to submit her letter due to a family emergency. Should I be waiting for an email or a phone call about whether I've passed the first phase? I understand that consideration of my app only began on the 26th which means I'll probably have to wait until at least the end of the week for anything, but I was just wondering whether I should be checking my email compulsively or simply having my phone on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! Just a quick question: How were people notified about interviews? I am in a similar situation to OliverP in that the deadline extension email I received motivated me to finish my application. I submitted my portion 7/20, but it took until 7/26 for my last recommender to submit her letter due to a family emergency. Should I be waiting for an email or a phone call about whether I've passed the first phase? I understand that consideration of my app only began on the 26th which means I'll probably have to wait until at least the end of the week for anything, but I was just wondering whether I should be checking my email compulsively or simply having my phone on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Typically email.

But seen as you are late, and classes start soon - they might call. My gut says email tho

I'm in the same boat as you- I had to resubmit my ACT scores after the deadline. My other potential school starts soon and I need to let them know asap if I'm coming so I can get all the classes I need (not to mention housing). I regret not submitting it earlier but I thought it was a long shot but their email gave me hope since it said some spots are still open. I wonder if it's just a little scam they do to get some more applications in :laugh:

I didn't apply until 7/15/12 and I just received my acceptance two days ago. Now looking into housing, what a mess!
Hey I applied on the 20th and was accepted a couple days ago. Looking for housing now too. Gahhhh. How are you doing on course registration? I know we can't register until we have our PennKey but that's supposed to take a while. I'm considering calling them. You??

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

Another girl and I just got in and we're looking for housing as well...(met her at the interview) PM me if you're a girl and you're interested! We're visiting tomorrow and could look at some 3BR or 4BR. We should totally start a FB group or something too. Maybe after orientation. =)

Also- do any of you alums of the program have course recommendations??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I applied on the 20th and was accepted a couple days ago. Looking for housing now too. Gahhhh. How are you doing on course registration? I know we can't register until we have our PennKey but that's supposed to take a while. I'm considering calling them. You??

Thanks in advance and good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!
Haven't started course registration yet. Yikes. I received an email about the process but looks like the pennkey has to come by mail? I'm considering calling as well because I would like to speak with an advisor before planning out my course schedule.

Not a lot of courses are open so you won't have much of a pick of your classes anyway, so you might as well go online as soon as you get your PennKey and pick the classes that sound most interesting to you and fit your schedule.

But I'm sure an advisor could maybe help you somewhat, I considered calling and asking to see if they could get me into some closed classes, but I'm not sure they would do that. Might be worth a shot though, maybe they make exceptions for Post Bacc students. It just sucks that we get such a crappy pick of courses since we didn't get accepted until after undergrad registration already happened. Oh well, there's always Spring semester too.

Might be worth a shot though, maybe they make exceptions for Post Bacc students. It just sucks that we get such a crappy pick of courses since we didn't get accepted until after undergrad registration already happened. Oh well, there's always Spring semester too.
You don''t take classes with the undergrads for the most part. If you do, you are paying significantly more, need permission, and its during the day.

So if the classes are locked out, its due to all the other post-bacs having registered.

In terms of classes, I enjoyed histo, clinical research, anything with lexow, and heard great things about immuno with cancero (or whatever his name is).

Well yeah, most of the exclusive LPS classes are available still (Immuno, vert anatomy etc) but some like Histo are not. And especially the BIBB courses with Lexow, those have been full for months now, so it's slim pickings.

Robflanker, how did you feel was the difficulty of taking all these upper level bio courses at once? What was your toughest semester?

Well yeah, most of the exclusive LPS classes are available still (Immuno, vert anatomy etc) but some like Histo are not. And especially the BIBB courses with Lexow, those have been full for months now, so it's slim pickings.

Robflanker, how did you feel was the difficulty of taking all these upper level bio courses at once? What was your toughest semester?
Lexow and Histo always fill up the first day.

A lot of people drop Lexow so you can often go the first week, and hope by the 2nd week that a lot of ppl have dropped out and u can enroll. I dont think she over-rides people into it.

I never struggled too much with the workload - I guess my hardest semester (of the two I was at Penn for) was Physics II, 2x Lexow classes, and clinical research in EM. Tho as I said - i never found it too much work

I was recently admitted to the SSP and signed up for classes just a few days ago. I had luck getting into Histo from the wait-list. Advisors were super prompt in letting me know I had a permit to register; I definitely suggest working with them for closed classes you really want to take.

I signed up for one day class...are any other SSP students taking Autonomic Physiology?

The advisors got you into closed courses? What other courses are you taking?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have applied to this program for Spring semester start. I have applied to a few other programs also so I may have to decide between them if I get into more than one. Do you know if U-Penn's post-bacc program offers Human Anatomy? I would like to take it during my post-bacc curriculum to get a leg up on it in med school some day.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have applied to this program for Spring semester start. I have applied to a few other programs also so I may have to decide between them if I get into more than one. Do you know if U-Penn's post-bacc program offers Human Anatomy? I would like to take it during my post-bacc curriculum to get a leg up on it in med school some day.

Thanks!
They didnt offer it as a post-bac course when I was there.

And also, undergrad anatomy didnt help at all in med school anatomy IMO. So don't pick a program based on that

They didn't get me in. Just gave me realistic odds of getting in off a wait-list.

I really wanted to take Microbiology, but it sounds like there is little hope a spot will open up (I think many spots are taken by pre-nursing/dental students who need it as a pre-req). With Histo, I was only on the wait-list one day.

Also taking Immuno and Nervous System Labs. You?

For those of you who have done the Post-Bacc Pre-Health Specialized studies program and U-Penn, would you say that there is enough time to do research in addition to take the courses? Obviously my own schedule would influence this the most, but is it common to hear of post-bacc students also doing research during their year there? Also, is there an organized way to get post-bacc students into research spots, or is this something one would have to pursue on their own?

DestinedDoctor: it is totally common for post Bacc students to get research positions. You would most likely have to research this on your own, but who knows, the advisors at the LPS office may be ale to help you too. All depends on your course schedule and if you want to dedicate the time to doing that, i.e. if you have no prior research experience, which sometimes post baccs don't.

Hi guys,

I have a 3.4 cgpa and 3.2 sgpa from ugrad. I also have a 3.0 master's gpa. If it matters, I got these degrees not that recently. I'm a bit rusty as far as school goes, but I do have a recent MCAT. My latest score is a 31. I'm trying to decide which programs I should apply to in hopes of proving to adcoms that I can handle med school. I'll also retake my MCAT if that will help my chances. Does anyone know if the UPenn SSP is a suitable option for someone in my position? I'd really appreciate any thoughts! Thanks guys!

Just judging by what people say here on SDN, a master's degree at 3.0 GPA looks kinda unfavorable since master's programs are known for grade inflation. But I would take that with a grain of salt.

Regardless, I say you would benefit the most from an SMP. 1 year of 1st year med school courses to prove you can hack med school, most have a conditional acceptance/interview if you get a certain GPA.

UPenn's SSP allows you to take upper level Bio undergrad courses to boost an unfavorable undergrad GPA. Since yours are not horrible, I think an SMP would be your best bet if you don't want to just apply as is.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I have a 3.4 cgpa and 3.2 sgpa from ugrad. I also have a 3.0 master's gpa. If it matters, I got these degrees not that recently. I'm a bit rusty as far as school goes, but I do have a recent MCAT. My latest score is a 31. I'm trying to decide which programs I should apply to in hopes of proving to adcoms that I can handle med school. I'll also retake my MCAT if that will help my chances. Does anyone know if the UPenn SSP is a suitable option for someone in my position? I'd really appreciate any thoughts! Thanks guys!

SMP is a better option; Penn SSP would be a step back

Thanks for your responses, SixStringPsych and robflanker. I suspected that might be the case because I've already taken grad courses. However, I was a bit confused because some have suggested that I take more upper level ugrad courses despite knowing I have the master's. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

CA resident here with a 3.5 cGPA and sGPA (slight upward trend, but ton of units already at a CSU) and no MCAT yet, but I've already graduated. I'll be applying to medical schools this summer and so I will have a gap year. Is the Penn SS a good program for me to do during this gap year?

It's a relatively cheap option (compared to USC's MSGM or another SMP that I don't really need) and I don't want to stay in CA. It has the upper division science courses I enjoy, and even offers the option of taking some other LPS courses in the evening, like anthropology. I even like the idea of taking some BBB classes. I'm working in a neuroscience lab full-time right now, and so BBB would let me continue studying the brain!

But, even though it is at Penn, the classes are taught by adjunct professors. I'm not sure if this is an issue. I won't have use for the committee letter because it's finished the August AFTER I finish 8 CUs (i.e. the August right before I'd start medical school). I have good letters of recommendation already, though.

I have read every post in this long thread and I am still undecided. If any Penn Special Science students would like to give his or her thoughts on the program, or offer my any advice I would definitely love to hear it.

CA resident here with a 3.5 cGPA and sGPA (slight upward trend, but ton of units already at a CSU) and no MCAT yet, but I've already graduated. I'll be applying to medical schools this summer and so I will have a gap year. Is the Penn SS a good program for me to do during this gap year?

It's a relatively cheap option (compared to USC's MSGM or another SMP that I don't really need) and I don't want to stay in CA. It has the upper division science courses I enjoy, and even offers the option of taking some other LPS courses in the evening, like anthropology. I even like the idea of taking some BBB classes. I'm working in a neuroscience lab full-time right now, and so BBB would let me continue studying the brain!

But, even though it is at Penn, the classes are taught by adjunct professors. I'm not sure if this is an issue. I won't have use for the committee letter because it's finished the August AFTER I finish 8 CUs (i.e. the August right before I'd start medical school). I have good letters of recommendation already, though.

I have read every post in this long thread and I am still undecided. If any Penn Special Science students would like to give his or her thoughts on the program, or offer my any advice I would definitely love to hear it.
Sounds like you are a good fit to me

I mean depending on your MCAT and ECs and whatnot if you think you'll really need something to do during your gap year incase you have to reapply then I guess go for it. But if you get in it would pretty much just be for your own knowledge which isn't so bad either, just expensive but if that's not an issue then I'd say its a good way to spend a gap year if you have an average GPA. Have you taken Biochem yet? That could be beneficial to take before MS1.

Have you taken Biochem yet? That could be beneficial to take before MS1.
Are you an MS-1? Do you know that for a fact?

Taking biochem before MS is useless, as is physio, anatomy etc. None of it prepares you for what you do here. Unless you want the leg up for the first hour of lecture than after that you are back in the same boat as everyone else

Are you an MS-1? Do you know that for a fact?

Taking biochem before MS is useless, as is physio, anatomy etc. None of it prepares you for what you do here. Unless you want the leg up for the first hour of lecture than after that you are back in the same boat as everyone else

Uhm, all I said is that it could be beneficial. Not that he/she wouldn't have to study all of first year because they took 400 level Biochem. I know that at some schools it is part of the MS1 curriculum so I suggested it. Should he come to Penn SSP and not take Biochem? Of course there are many other classes offered here (more fun and easy than Biochem), but Biochem is usually recommended by most med schools (and required by the top tiers) is it not? I plan to take it in the spring.

My apologies maybe you can make some better suggestions.

Arent you the same guy that was ragging on nontrads and finance majors? and you're enrolled in the Penn postbacc?? not only have you not made any money, you are wasting more money on something you could have done in college. and you were insulting my EC?? dude, you suck.

No, I wasn't ragging on nontrads and finance majors, I was ragging on you for thinking you're better than everyone else. I'm never the type to put other people down on these forums unless it's well deserved.

That said, it's not a waste of money if it gets you where you want to go. My parents love me enough and worked hard enough to support me financially so that I don't have to work for years in some meaningless job I hate just to make enough money to get through more schooling.

I'm never nasty dude, but you need to stop attacking people at every turn. It wasn't just me who was going in on you in that thread bro, pretty much everyone saw how much of an attitude adjustment you need.

I mean depending on your MCAT and ECs and whatnot if you think you'll really need something to do during your gap year incase you have to reapply then I guess go for it. But if you get in it would pretty much just be for your own knowledge which isn't so bad either, just expensive but if that's not an issue then I'd say its a good way to spend a gap year if you have an average GPA. Have you taken Biochem yet? That could be beneficial to take before MS1.

I've taken Biochem already. You raise some good points. I am not sure I want to stress myself out or put in so much effort to raise my GPA to a 3.6 when I could put that energy elsewhere. I calculated, and I would need straight As in all 32 units to get it to a 3.6. I'd still be "average" and 30k+ poorer, even if I have a fun, challenging gap year. I still have to think this through a bit more.

I've taken Biochem already. You raise some good points. I am not sure I want to stress myself out or put in so much effort to raise my GPA to a 3.6 when I could put that energy elsewhere. I calculated, and I would need straight As in all 32 units to get it to a 3.6. I'd still be "average" and 30k+ poorer, even if I have a fun, challenging gap year. I still have to think this through a bit more.
You can always "drop out" after the first semester at Penn if your app cycle goes well. I got my first med school acceptance at the beginning of Sept during my app year, so you could almost drop out from fall semester to at that point.

I just got offered an interview, and will be going down to Penn in a few weeks. Does anyone know the chance of getting in if you got an interview? Thanks!

I got my acceptance today too! Are you planning on attending the program?

I got my acceptance today too! Are you planning on attending the program?

Congrats!! :D
I'm not sure...I'm still waiting to hear back from some other programs that I've applied to.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a notification of whether or not you get an interview from the time of application completion?

My application was marked as complete on 1/24 and I received an interview invite on 1/30.